Vibrating hood

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 03:18 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Vibrating hood

Has anyone else noticed the hood vibrating at high speeds (140 km/h)? It doesn't happen all the time, and I'm actually not sure if it's vibrating or just light reflecting off the hood (Majestic Black Pearl), but I've noticed it a few times and I wanted to see if anyone else has had the same experience.

The following users liked this post:
Jaymszes (02-14-2023)
Old 11-04-2018, 03:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts
Maybe you need to adjust the hood bumpers. I haven't looked at mine because I don't notice what you are experiencing but your mounts may need adjusting to "tighten" up the hood as it catches the body.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:52 AM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
I detected some flutter on mine and had the dealer tighten all mounting hardware.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:47 PM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
If you do a Google search for "hood flutter", you'll see lengthy discussions on this issue affecting Jeeps, Toyotas, Nissans, Chevrolets, Fords, Mazdas, Scions, and other brands. While it's sometimes due to manufacturing defects, it's usually due to thinner materials to save weight or changes to meet safety requirements so that the hood deforms on impact with a pedestrian. Some claim it's due to the increasing use of aluminum for hoods, but that's not true - there are plenty of steel hoods that flutter, too.

The 2017-current Ridgeline's hood flutters due to a failure of the adhesive between the outer skin and underlying structure...

https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/...o-jigglin.html

The 2018 Accord's hood flutters while driving and the trailing edge vibrates at idle by design...

https://www.driveaccord.net/forums/2...d-flutter.html

I noticed it on my brother's new Chevrolet Colorado earlier this week.

https://www.coloradofans.com/forums/...effective.html
Old 11-08-2018, 12:33 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Lmo0913
Has anyone else noticed the hood vibrating at high speeds (140 km/h)? It doesn't happen all the time, and I'm actually not sure if it's vibrating or just light reflecting off the hood (Majestic Black Pearl), but I've noticed it a few times and I wanted to see if anyone else has had the same experience.
As mentioned the first place I would check is the rubber bumpers that the hood rests on when fully down. They can be turned down or raised to tighten up any gaps, etc, Also, if the front tires have too much air pressure that can really do it.
I once picked up a new Supra and while driving home the hood went crazy, bouncing like mad. I slowed my overall speed....and that time the first thing I checked was the tire pressure. The car was made in Japan, and shipped over on a
cargo ship. They always pump the tires to around 50psi for the trip. Well, the dealer never even checked them. At home I checked and.....they were all at 50lbs!! After putting them where they belonged....no more hood jumping up and down.
I'm sure if in the mid 40 psi range it could cause the same reaction.
Old 02-14-2023, 03:47 PM
3rd Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Definitely bouncing

Originally Posted by Lmo0913
2022 RDX, my first road trip where I could test it out (120 mph), and the hood bounced so bad it scared me. I've never seen that before (and I've been driving since the early 70's). I've scheduled an appointment at a dealership to look into it.

Is it safe to drive with it like that?

od was bouncing so hard
Old 02-15-2023, 07:07 AM
Racer

Received 136 Likes on 87 Posts
Just completed a trip from NJ to SC and from SC back to to NJ. A lot of 80+mph travel on Rt 95. Twice I noticed some very minor hood movement. The rest of the time it was rock solid. It appeared like center of the hood flexed up and down just a little. The hood is fiberglass, right? Could it have flexed? Some type of Bernoulli effect? Cross wind? Truck wake? The flexing was in the center only, right between the two curved ridges. It did not appear like the entire hood lifted, just the center. Also, I heard nothing. If the hood lifted to the point that the hood latch caught that 1/8” of slack, I think I’d hear and feel that metal on metal contact. I heard and felt nothing. My guess is it was the fiberglass flexing. Just a passing thought, but could those curved ridges on the hood adversely affect aerodynamics? They are not small.