RDX Type-S

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 08:50 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RDX Type-S

Well how much extra would you guys be willing to pay for a Type-S? I am considering waiting for them to come out. I hope in a few years since I really don't need a new car now. But how much more would you expect them to be? What are we estimating about 350 HP?
Old 03-29-2019, 09:05 PM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
350HP would be a huge increase over the current 2.0T. Would need to beef up the brakes, wheels and suspension. Maybe a different or at least improved transmission. SH-AWD would probably be standard because the torque steer on a FWD could get nasty. $55K+ probably.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:07 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Waiting on RDX10 to find this thread! Should make for an interesting topic!
Old 03-29-2019, 09:27 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 03-29-2019, 09:54 PM
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by Keith-OH
Well how much extra would you guys be willing to pay for a Type-S? I am considering waiting for them to come out. I hope in a few years since I really don't need a new car now. But how much more would you expect them to be? What are we estimating about 350 HP?
My guess is it will be 7K ish more than the Aspec.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:37 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Midwestuser1
That's about what I would expect but not what I want to hear.
Old 03-30-2019, 12:05 AM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by Midwestuser1

But for a 78 hp bump!
Old 03-30-2019, 12:21 AM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
My guess is RDX Type-S will use the 3.0T that may appear relatively soon in the next generation MDX.

Although I don't have a clue what they would do for an MDX Type-S, if the "standard" models get the 3.0T. Maybe do an Audi and they get the 2.0T?

And there's the whole sport-hybrid and 48V "soft hybrid" aspect to speculate about.

But speculating on price differential seems a bit premature, aside from looking over at what Audi is doing. Cuz you can bet that's what the Acura suits are doing.
Old 03-30-2019, 03:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by Keith-OH
That would really depend on a lot of things. Will they use the 7DCT from the sport hybrid or possibly even 9DCT from the NSX, or will they keep the 10AT. What engine will they use and how much power? Any other enhancements?....etc.

They could simply drop in the Acura MDX Sport-Hybrid system and call that the RDX Type-S (in that case I would not pay more than a couple thousand on top of the advance price like in the MDX) or they might go all the way 400hp 3.0T with dual clutch transmission....etc. So it really depends.

I don't think it's coming for 2020, I think it's coming in 2021 during the refresh. Also I vaguely remember Acura stating they want 400HP for the Type-S models so I expect at mininum 350Hp but possibly more. All really depends on what transmission they go with.

With all that said, it is purely speculative that the RDX is even getting a Type-S model. The MDX and TLX definitely are but the RDX has not been given any solid evidence yet.

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
Waiting on RDX10 to find this thread! Should make for an interesting topic!
Lol you know me too well.
Old 03-30-2019, 04:28 AM
Null and proud of it

The RDX is a top seller, so I see it atleast being considered inside corporate Acura...

These 350-400 HP numbers are giving me chills... The current 290 HP J35/ZF-9 is already a speed demon to me, a 400 HP Acura would be just pure

Last edited by Midnight Mystery; 03-30-2019 at 04:28 AM. Reason: Purity
Old 03-30-2019, 06:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
It sounds like something Acura should do so, therefore, it'll never happen
The following 2 users liked this post by Stew4HD:
Alias1431 (04-07-2020), justnspace (04-06-2019)
Old 03-30-2019, 07:15 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,582 Likes on 952 Posts
If RDX comes with 350HP, I am willing to pay another 5K more above the Platinum Elite

I believe we will see the first Type S this summer with TLX. RDX and MDX will get it much later in my opinion.
Old 03-30-2019, 08:28 AM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
We all want to see it. That doesn't mean we all will buy one. I'll pay for performance, luxury and features. I won't pay a premium for the "mystique" of a numbered plaque.

Old 03-30-2019, 09:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
Assuming there will be an RDX Type S, my fear is that they'll make it too performance-oriented. My days of clipping apexes at every opportunity are over. I want to have fun occasionally, but I need to have a comfortable travel vehicle. The Germans used to offer upgraded powertrains in their base models, now you have to step up to a firmer suspension and ultra low-profile tires of a more dedicated performance model to get the extra oomph. Those features don't play well in a daily driver here in the Great Lakes where the roads are straight, boring and pocked. It's the reason I'm so impressed with Lincoln's strategy ... refinement, power and comfort in one package.
Old 03-30-2019, 11:19 AM
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
IMO if they come out with a type S to to compete with the GLC43, the X3 M40i, and the XC60 T8 it will need to be 380 - 400 hp/ 375 - 400 tq out of the box. It will need to have the option to look like an Aspec but have all of the advance features with a few extras. Maybe massaging chairs, active/dynamic headlights, 3 zone climate controls, the active dampers under comfort needs to be softened a bit, autonomous parking, electronic telescoping wheel, luxurious interior lighting options, active exhaust, improved rear view and 360 carmera resolution, hill descent, unique performance wheels and tires, cross traffic monitoring and cameras, better gearing for manual control as well as better takeoff in gears 1 & 2.

It likely will be $65k- $70k fully loaded whereas the BMW/Merc/Volvo are topping out at $80k+ fully loaded.
Old 03-30-2019, 01:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Ugh, why is this the most truth posted on this forum?

Originally Posted by HotRodW
Assuming there will be an RDX Type S, my fear is that they'll make it too performance-oriented. My days of clipping apexes at every opportunity are over. I want to have fun occasionally, but I need to have a comfortable travel vehicle. The Germans used to offer upgraded powertrains in their base models, now you have to step up to a firmer suspension and ultra low-profile tires of a more dedicated performance model to get the extra oomph. Those features don't play well in a daily driver here in the Great Lakes where the roads are straight, boring and pocked. It's the reason I'm so impressed with Lincoln's strategy ... refinement, power and comfort in one package.
Although I do see where you are coming from, if there is a Type-S RDX, I definitely want it to be a hardcore sport model. Real carbon fiber trim pieces on the outside and inside, quad exhausts, more aggressive front and rear bumpers, 21" wheels, firm suspension with larger sway bars and a nice 380ish hp and torque number. Like a true German interpretation of what a sport SUV needs to be. Not some half warmed over body rolly mushy thing from Lexus.

The normal RDX is already powerful enough and comfortable enough, no use in making a true sport version but only going half way IMO.

Originally Posted by Rmsanger
IMO if they come out with a type S to to compete with the GLC43, the X3 M40i, and the XC60 T8 it will need to be 380 - 400 hp/ 375 - 400 tq out of the box. It will need to have the option to look like an Aspec but have all of the advance features with a few extras. Maybe massaging chairs, active/dynamic headlights, 3 zone climate controls, the active dampers under comfort needs to be softened a bit, autonomous parking, electronic telescoping wheel, luxurious interior lighting options, active exhaust, improved rear view and 360 carmera resolution, hill descent, unique performance wheels and tires, cross traffic monitoring and cameras, better gearing for manual control as well as better takeoff in gears 1 & 2.

It likely will be $65k- $70k fully loaded whereas the BMW/Merc/Volvo are topping out at $80k+ fully loaded.
Totally agree with this! It would HAVE TO meld the A-Spec aggressive looks with the top level features plus add on some things like the power adjustable steering wheel, real carbon fiber trim pieces, possibly even stitched dashboard and upper doors (doesn't have to be real leather though). That would be good enough for me. What matters most to me is having a potent powertrain though!
Old 03-30-2019, 01:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
Although I do see where you are coming from, if there is a Type-S RDX, I definitely want it to be a hardcore sport model. Real carbon fiber trim pieces on the outside and inside, quad exhausts, more aggressive front and rear bumpers, 21" wheels, firm suspension with larger sway bars and a nice 380ish hp and torque number. Like a true German interpretation of what a sport SUV needs to be. Not some half warmed over body rolly mushy thing from Lexus.

The normal RDX is already powerful enough and comfortable enough, no use in making a true sport version but only going half way IMO.
I have no issue with hardcore models. My issue is that you are often forced to take the hardcore chassis tuning to get more power. There's no reason Acura couldn't offer a detuned version of the 3.0T as an option on the A Spec and/or Advance trim. Audi implemented the strategy perfectly with the previous generation Q5.
Old 03-30-2019, 02:48 PM
Suzuka Master

I have no issue with hardcore models. My issue is that you are often forced to take the hardcore chassis tuning to get more power. There's no reason Acura couldn't offer a detuned version of the 3.0T as an option on the A Spec and/or Advance trim. Audi implemented the strategy perfectly with the previous generation Q5.
You are correct they definitely should offer the 3.0T as an optional engine (or possibly even the Hybrid drivetrain), but let me insert the generic "Acura is small and that would make things complicated and too many configurations" comment that everyone - including myself - throws around to cover up for Acura's shitty management and market ignorance.

The previous generation Q5 was kind of insane though from a sales point of view. There was the 2.0T, 3.0T detuned, 3.0T SQ5, 3.0 diesel and a Hybrid!! How the hell they managed to keep 5 different drivetrains with several configurations possible going is beyond me. Meanwhile Acura has a hard time offering more than one powertrain on their models.
Old 03-30-2019, 05:05 PM
Advanced

They also better watch out for Genesis at the 3.3T in the G70 is a sweetheart of a Powertrain. They make excellent interiors and a CUV is next upon their hit list. For many people wanting a luxury SUV/CUV and not wanting Germanic trio then the choice is down to Acura, Lexus, Volvo (potentially), Alpha Romeo, Infiniti, and upcoming Genesis.

The g70 can get a JB4 piggyback ECU and it turns into a monter (415 hp / 520 lb-ft tq). They just need to work on the tranny and Acura will be saying oy-vey.
Old 03-30-2019, 10:01 PM
Null and proud of it

There may be some hope because Acura did leave space in the engine bay for a V6 to be dropped in there, so the TypeS may be in-line with Acuras plan for that "extra space"!
Old 03-31-2019, 04:09 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Wasn't a type S MDX spied? If you're going to make a turbo v6 MDX, I see no reason why a type S RDX wouldn't exist as well.
Old 03-31-2019, 04:21 PM
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 188 Posts
I suspect the tuning will be more like how the SQ5, GLC43, and X3 M40i are tuned which means sportier but not a true performance car like the RS/AMG/M cars. I suspect it'll remain civil enough for a "regular" customer when we take into account the value of great adaptive dampers and adjustable exhausts. Ultimately the letter 'S' does not signify the hardcore tuning for Honda/Acura, that's for letter 'R'.
Old 03-31-2019, 04:39 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by supafamous
I suspect the tuning will be more like how the SQ5, GLC43, and X3 M40i are tuned which means sportier but not a true performance car like the RS/AMG/M cars. I suspect it'll remain civil enough for a "regular" customer when we take into account the value of great adaptive dampers and adjustable exhausts. Ultimately the letter 'S' does not signify the hardcore tuning for Honda/Acura, that's for letter 'R'.
Spot on.

I would also hope for a minor interior refresh if this is a 2021 model to come with it. Beefier dynamic control knob, different climate control set up, special S Type paint and interior color options.
Old 03-31-2019, 10:57 PM
Drifting

I think there's roughly a 0% chance that Acura will release an RDX priced at $65-70 kilobucks ( USD ).

If any Acura crossover were going to test those waters, it would be some flavor of MDX.

Massaging chairs and autonomous parking? Are we talking about a performance-oriented car or a Barcalounger?
The following users liked this post:
marcolou (07-29-2021)
Old 03-31-2019, 11:07 PM
Null and proud of it

I don't think the RDX can top much over $60K....

Remember, a year or two ago, a fully loaded RDX would go in the low-mid $40K's...
Old 04-01-2019, 08:27 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wander
I think there's roughly a 0% chance that Acura will release an RDX priced at $65-70 kilobucks ( USD ).

If any Acura crossover were going to test those waters, it would be some flavor of MDX.

Massaging chairs and autonomous parking? Are we talking about a performance-oriented car or a Barcalounger?
I’m not saying I like the trends but if Acura wants a Type S to compete with the “big boys” these are the types of features being offered in the competition. The MDX is a 3 row option but the $ is going into the RDX segment and not into the MDX segment from a sales/market perspective. The X3/X4, GLC43/63, Macan, Fpace S/SVR, RR Velar, XC60, AR Stelvio, and Genesis are all headed this way. Pricing between $65k - $80k and up are not uncommon for this segment. Just depends on how/where Acura wants to compete.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...1426/overview/

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...1905/overview/

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...5269/overview/

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...7338/overview/

Last edited by Rmsanger; 04-01-2019 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:05 AM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
I gues I’m old fashioned, but I just don’t get an S version of an SUV, nor, for example, an actual M version for BMW.

Having whipped a real M3 and an M5 about a closed course, an SUV version X3/5 just can’t do it for me. So, a coupe or sedan S is a yes for me, an SUV or a pickup truck version is a no.

If they do one, I think it would be mostly badges, a bump in HP, some more stiffness, but not the transformative ride that some folks hope. A BMW 340 with M packaging is not an M3.
Old 04-01-2019, 04:16 PM
Drifting

I’m not saying I like the trends but if Acura wants a Type S to compete with the “big boys” these are the types of features being offered in the competition. The MDX is a 3 row option but the $ is going into the RDX segment and not into the MDX segment from a sales/market perspective. The X3/X4, GLC43/63, Macan, Fpace S/SVR, RR Velar, XC60, AR Stelvio, and Genesis are all headed this way. Pricing between $65k - $80k and up are not uncommon for this segment. Just depends on how/where Acura wants to compete.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...1426/overview/

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...1905/overview/

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...5269/overview/

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...7338/overview/
Don't even get me started on the features fetish.

That has nothing to do with performance.

Acura has always been about value, like its parent company Honda. They have tried the "keeping up with the Joneses" thing, and it flopped. With interest rates gradually returning to sane levels, and "free money" slowly fading into memory, consumers will hopefully return to some level of sanity in purchasing decisions.

If you just gotta have all the doo dads piled into a POS vehicle, buy GM. They will love to have you. ( In the crudest sense of "have". )
Old 04-01-2019, 06:43 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
If you just gotta have all the doo dads piled into a POS vehicle, buy GM. They will love to have you. ( In the crudest sense of "have". )
GM is on my "Banned for Life" list. I haven't set foot in a GM dealership since 1982 when I came within inches of buying a Chevy Citation. I was about to sign a deal, salesman pissed me off and I went all Costanza on him (i.e., I walked out). I ended up buying a Subaru that I had for 9 years and 144,000 trouble-free miles.

I break into a cold sweat thinking how close I came to giving GM almost $8,000 of my hard-earned money. To this day, they would still owe me a car. Man, what pieces of shit those GM X-body cars were.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:06 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
GM is on my "Banned for Life" list. I haven't set foot in a GM dealership since 1982 when I came within inches of buying a Chevy Citation. I was about to sign a deal, salesman pissed me off and I went all Costanza on him (i.e., I walked out). I ended up buying a Subaru that I had for 9 years and 144,000 trouble-free miles.

I break into a cold sweat thinking how close I came to giving GM almost $8,000 of my hard-earned money. To this day, they would still owe me a car. Man, what pieces of shit those GM X-body cars were.
Sorry in advance for off topic post!

I really have to laugh about this! I "worked" (I'll leave it at that) in the service dept of a Chevy Dealer during the X Body era..and following J Body. They were still making Vegas at the time! In fact, the dealer had a 2 year old NEW Cosworth Vega on the showroom floor they couldn't sell. It was black, and IIRC, we had to re-paint it due to fading paint before they put it in the showroom!

I think last GM product I owned was a 1986 Pontiac 6000 SE Wagon that was a direct offspring of the X cars.

EDIT: Actually, the X platform started in 1962 with the Chevy II etc. The 1980 Citation was the first front drive X body.

Actual car I owned:

That's my wife getting our ~1 year old son out of the car seat.

Last edited by JB in AZ; 04-01-2019 at 07:20 PM.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:28 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Off off topic

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
Sorry in advance for off topic post!

I really have to laugh about this! I "worked" (I'll leave it at that) in the service dept of a Chevy Dealer during the X Body era..and following J Body. They were still making Vegas at the time! In fact, the dealer had a 2 year old NEW Cosworth Vega on the showroom floor they couldn't sell. It was black, and IIRC, we had to re-paint it due to fading paint before they put it in the showroom!

I think last GM product I owned was a 1986 Pontiac 6000 SE Wagon that was a direct offspring of the X cars.

EDIT: Actually, the X platform started in 1962 with the Chevy II etc. The 1980 Citation was the first front drive X body.

Actual car I owned:

That's my wife getting our ~1 year old son out of the car seat.
Wow!

My first car was a used 1984 Pontiac 6000 STE. My dad bought it used for me in ‘91.

In the D, this model was called the GOOSTE (Goo-Steve). The 6000 and STE were so close l, combined with it font, made it look like ‘G’ instead of ‘6’. People thought it was a GM model name
Old 04-02-2019, 01:20 PM
Drifting

Gotta do it:

The following users liked this post:
JB in AZ (04-02-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 01:41 AM
Null and proud of it

OMG!
Old 04-06-2019, 09:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
Don't even get me started on the features fetish.

That has nothing to do with performance.

Acura has always been about value, like its parent company Honda. They have tried the "keeping up with the Joneses" thing, and it flopped. With interest rates gradually returning to sane levels, and "free money" slowly fading into memory, consumers will hopefully return to some level of sanity in purchasing decisions.
That just about summarized Acura.

Simply put, look at their meager NSX sales.

People often forget that Acura is a very small company if it were not backed by Honda, it would probably never survived.

Just some numbers,

Acura total 2018 sales number is 160k, global
BMW 2018 is 300k, MB is 380k just US alone!

Hell, even Tesla sold more cars than Acura in 2018.

It continues to serve a small niche consumer base who's left brain is more dominant than right. It screams value, bang for the buck, those who aren't logo envy.

Last edited by acuraada; 04-06-2019 at 09:49 AM.
Old 04-06-2019, 03:03 PM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by acuraada
That just about summarized Acura.

Simply put, look at their meager NSX sales.

People often forget that Acura is a very small company if it were not backed by Honda, it would probably never survived.

Just some numbers,

Acura total 2018 sales number is 160k, global
BMW 2018 is 300k, MB is 380k just US alone!

Hell, even Tesla sold more cars than Acura in 2018.

It continues to serve a small niche consumer base who's left brain is more dominant than right. It screams value, bang for the buck, those who aren't logo envy.
So Acura is like Mazda, but with Honda behind it all???

Spoiler

Last edited by Midnight Mystery; 04-06-2019 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Butt
Old 04-06-2019, 06:00 PM
Drifting

OMG!
That's from the original RoboCop movie (1987). The whole movie was a satire on Detroit and Big Business in general.

But we digress.
Old 04-06-2019, 11:09 PM
Null and proud of it

That's from the original RoboCop movie (1987). The whole movie was a satire on Detroit and Big Business in general.

But we digress.
8.2 MPG in 1987 was still pretty bad. Well, it's an American car!

How much HP did that car have? Just for fun!
Old 04-06-2019, 11:39 PM
Drifting

8.2 MPG in 1987 was still pretty bad. Well, it's an American car!

How much HP did that car have? Just for fun!
The 8.2 mpg is total BS, along with the model name.

But that dino is kinda cute. She has a pretty smile.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:14 AM
Null and proud of it

The 8.2 mpg is total BS, along with the model name.

But that dino is kinda cute. She has a pretty smile.
Ditto.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:02 PM
S3n
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Or..

Get the hondata tune, some after market bigger brakes, set of wider rims and tires. And theres your type S RDX

Quick Reply: RDX Type-S