RDX Type-S

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 03:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 910 Likes on 693 Posts
Originally Posted by S3n
Get the hondata tune, some after market bigger brakes, set of wider rims and tires. And theres your type S RDX
A hondata tune is very conservative. What people need is a custom and more aggressive tune (assuming the transmission isn't glass and can handle it). I'd argue that it would handle a lot better too with the lighter 2.0T vs a 3.0 V6.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:22 AM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
A hondata tune is very conservative. What people need is a custom and more aggressive tune (assuming the transmission isn't glass and can handle it). I'd argue that it would handle a lot better too with the lighter 2.0T vs a 3.0 V6.
Big assumption on the transmission, IMO, but I agree that the light, low slung 2.0T contributes to current RDX's impressive handling.

Thinking outside the box, low mounted electric motor(s) and a low mounted battery pack might give her a boost without messing up the handling. And that might mitigate the occasional drivetrain hesitation some of us have noted. There are rumors a Sport Hybrid RDX was in the works, but it was cancelled ( or deferred? ) at the last minute. There are also rumors that 48V "mild hybrid" tech will be appearing in future Acura models, including next-gen MDX. But these are just rumors.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Wander
Big assumption on the transmission, IMO, but I agree that the light, low slung 2.0T contributes to current RDX's impressive handling.

Thinking outside the box, low mounted electric motor(s) and a low mounted battery pack might give her a boost without messing up the handling. And that might mitigate the occasional drivetrain hesitation some of us have noted. There are rumors a Sport Hybrid RDX was in the works, but it was cancelled ( or deferred? ) at the last minute. There are also rumors that 48V "mild hybrid" tech will be appearing in future Acura models, including next-gen MDX. But these are just rumors.
Exactly! Which is why I am scared to even do the conservative Hondata tune on the RDX let alone something more aggressive.

I like the idea of using electric power vs upsizing the engine because like you mentioned, it lowers the center of gravity and the fuel economy benefits are definitely a nice bonus. Only thing is I really dislike these systems that rely solely on electric motors to provide AWD. You end up with like close to 300hp in the front wheels and about 30-50hp going to the rear wheels in vehicles like the RX, MDX, and XC90.

I would much rather see a 48V mild hybrid setup where SH-AWD is still relying on the ICE. Unless of course they manage to make the 3.0 V6 weigh as much as the 2.0 somehow. Then I'd be more than happy with it. But being in front if the front axle really doesn't help us.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:13 AM
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Rmsanger
IMO if they come out with a type S to to compete with the GLC43, the X3 M40i, and the XC60 T8 it will need to be 380 - 400 hp/ 375 - 400 tq out of the box. It will need to have the option to look like an Aspec but have all of the advance features with a few extras. Maybe massaging chairs, active/dynamic headlights, 3 zone climate controls, the active dampers under comfort needs to be softened a bit, autonomous parking, electronic telescoping wheel, luxurious interior lighting options, active exhaust, improved rear view and 360 carmera resolution, hill descent, unique performance wheels and tires, cross traffic monitoring and cameras, better gearing for manual control as well as better takeoff in gears 1 & 2.

It likely will be $65k- $70k fully loaded whereas the BMW/Merc/Volvo are topping out at $80k+ fully loaded.
Bumpage... We're already into the 2nd model year so if Acura is going to do a Type-S we should be hearing about it soon! Acura would be wise to launch the new MDX refresh and an RDX Type-S at the same time...

I still think by model year 2021 we are heading to a $65k - $70k price point for the Type-S if there is to ever be one. Unfortunately Genesis will be coming out with theirs by then and much of the interest for a Type-S rdx might be sapped. The 3.3T from Genesis is better than any of the Honda V6 power-plants at this time.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:20 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Rmsanger
Bumpage... We're already into the 2nd model year so if Acura is going to do a Type-S we should be hearing about it soon! Acura would be wise to launch the new MDX refresh and an RDX Type-S at the same time...

I still think by model year 2021 we are heading to a $65k - $70k price point for the Type-S if there is to ever be one. Unfortunately Genesis will be coming out with theirs by then and much of the interest for a Type-S rdx might be sapped. The 3.3T from Genesis is better than any of the Honda V6 power-plants at this time.
Yeah, most other luxury marques have had turbo sixes for years. Not counting the NSX of course. Speaking of the NSX (which is selling like shit), I don't even know why money was put into that project first, when Acura should have been developing sport variants for their bread and butter vehicles. But typical Acura - a follower these days, rather than a leader.

I agree that MY2021 is the year a Type-S MUST debut. Probably with the TLX first, then MDX. I don't think we'll see a Type-S RDX until the refresh in 2022/2023. Genesis is looking so good these days, and is a great value alternative to Acura. Not to mention the rumor that Lexus might be using BMW's B58 inline six for their upcoming new models.
Old 07-06-2019, 07:57 AM
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by ZipSpeed
Yeah, most other luxury marques have had turbo sixes for years. Not counting the NSX of course. Speaking of the NSX (which is selling like shit), I don't even know why money was put into that project first, when Acura should have been developing sport variants for their bread and butter vehicles. But typical Acura - a follower these days, rather than a leader.

I agree that MY2021 is the year a Type-S MUST debut. Probably with the TLX first, then MDX. I don't think we'll see a Type-S RDX until the refresh in 2022/2023. Genesis is looking so good these days, and is a great value alternative to Acura. Not to mention the rumor that Lexus might be using BMW's B58 inline six for their upcoming new models.
well the NSX isnt hard to understand why it's a fail. Most are priced at a ridiculous $175k w/options; which right there is going to limit your market. Secondly Acura fails to understand the current perception of their brand which is certainly not luxury or exotic nor performance. Most people with that kind of money aren't looking at an NSX when they can go Mcl / Lambo/ Porsche / Ferrari / AM / etc...

I'm no fanboy of the supra but at least they kept the price at a reasonable level and offer a performance value compared with the competition.

3.8 0-60
4/6 5-60
12.3 sec @ 113mph 1/4 mile
1.07g skidpad
3350 lb curbweight

These are all great benchmarks for a $50k level even if it is a mostly re-badged bmw. It means that Toyota product marketing gets the market and their customers where Acura just completely fails in many aspects. They could have made a sub $100k NSX that was an engaging driving machine and sold like hotcakes. I'd never buy their product even if I had the money. I would buy a supra if they put a stick on it.

For $600 and re-gapped spark plugs you can get a Jb4 piggyback ecu and be making 480hp / 440 lbtq with no other mods and keeping your warranty.

dyno

Last edited by Rmsanger; 07-06-2019 at 08:00 AM.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:00 AM
Pro

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Keith-OH
Well how much extra would you guys be willing to pay for a Type-S? I am considering waiting for them to come out. I hope in a few years since I really don't need a new car now. But how much more would you expect them to be? What are we estimating about 350 HP?
Who cares? I don't. Acura needs to fix the problems with the current models of RDX first.
The following users liked this post:
samiam_68 (07-06-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 04:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 192 Posts
Originally Posted by tecwerks
Who cares? I don't. Acura needs to fix the problems with the current models of RDX first.
With a V6 turbo minimum 370, I’d like to see 420-450hp range
Burger Steak & Eggs (07-06-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 07:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
Keep dreaming folks, Acura will do whats profitable and in line with its competition. Since they stopped making type S models in 2005 or so, I kept hearing rumors every year that its coming back, but I has not. I believe it when I see it. And if it comes back(big IF), TLX will get it first for sure
Old 07-06-2019, 07:24 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
I'd like to see a twin turbo with two smaller turbos to keep it responsive and torquey.
Old 07-06-2019, 07:54 PM
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by russianDude
Keep dreaming folks, Acura will do whats profitable
That may disturb you in Russia, but not so much in America, broski.
Old 07-06-2019, 09:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
Originally Posted by DriverOne
That may disturb you in Russia, but not so much in America, broski.
Hmn, I see. Nice talking to you too.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:19 PM
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by russianDude
Hmn, I see. Nice talking to you too.
I could have also said "that may disturb you in New Jersey, but not so much in America," if that would make things better between us.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:53 PM
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
A hondata tune is very conservative. What people need is a custom and more aggressive tune (assuming the transmission isn't glass and can handle it)
The 1,500 lb tow rating does not leave one with the impression of a bulletproof tranny.
Old 07-07-2019, 12:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by catalytic_ca
The 1,500 lb tow rating does not leave one with the impression of a bulletproof tranny.
I’m thinking it has more to do with the frame design and engine then the tranny. If you look at the Honda Odyssey that weighs 500 lbs more then the RDX, has the same Tranny but a V6 naturally aspirated and it can pull 2,000 more lbs the the RDX. To me that sounds more like the frame attach points on the RDX is the issue not so much the tranny, or the engine, tranny cooling, mixture of the above. They both share the same 10at

Old 07-07-2019, 12:40 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 899 Likes on 789 Posts
1500 lb towing? turbo four?

Feels like the 1G forum again!
Old 07-07-2019, 12:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
1500 lb towing? turbo four?

Feels like the 1G forum again!
I suppose since the odyssey v6 can pull things without being in boost vs an inline 4 turbo needing the power to pull causing it to be boost much more often doesn’t make it an optimal setup for heavy pulling
Old 07-07-2019, 12:48 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 899 Likes on 789 Posts
Originally Posted by Dereileak
I suppose since the odyssey v6 can pull things without being in boost vs an inline 4 turbo needing the power to pull causing it to be boost much more often doesn’t make it an optimal setup for heavy pulling
They suck (gas) past 70 mph too...
Old 07-07-2019, 10:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 318 Likes on 202 Posts
Originally Posted by Burger Steak & Eggs
I'd like to see a twin turbo with two smaller turbos to keep it responsive and torquey.
Assuming the motor is intended to compete with the entry level 6 cylinders from the 340i, C43, S4 etc it's likely to make around 350-370hp and Audi, BMW, and Mercedes have all gone single turbo for that output level. It's only when they get to the 400+ range that a twin is needed. It's not clear if Honda is basing this of a J30 motor or something much more clean sheet. The NSX V6 is a 75 degree motor so that block would be a bad fit for the FWD layouts Acura has. If the motor is clean sheet then I'd expect two output levels - a single turbo for Type-S and then eventually a wilder twin turbo for an even wilder Type-S (R?) - basically cribbing from exactly what Audi, BMW, and Mercedes are doing with their 3L sixes. The playbook for turbo sixes have been set by these folks, I'd expect Honda to hew pretty closely to that as the 2L turbo is gonna show up in everything and maps to the German's strategy as well.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:05 PM
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Dereileak
I’m thinking it has more to do with the frame design and engine then the tranny. If you look at the Honda Odyssey that weighs 500 lbs more then the RDX, has the same Tranny but a V6 naturally aspirated and it can pull 2,000 more lbs the the RDX. To me that sounds more like the frame attach points on the RDX is the issue not so much the tranny, or the engine, tranny cooling, mixture of the above. They both share the same 10at
I didn't know the Odyssey ended up getting the 10AT. When we got our Odyssey (we were among the first to get the new generation 2018 Odyssey back in 2017), at least in Canada, the 6AT was the only tranny available for all trims except for the Touring, which got the ZF 9AT

Frame design / attachment points not designed for towing perhaps... still a wonder why the tow rating is so much less than its competitors... BMW X3 and Audi Q5 can tow 4,400 lbs with their 2.0L turbos, and the Mercedes GLC can tow 3,500 lbs...
Old 07-07-2019, 11:31 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,441 Likes on 1,888 Posts
Originally Posted by catalytic_ca
I didn't know the Odyssey ended up getting the 10AT. When we got our Odyssey (we were among the first to get the new generation 2018 Odyssey back in 2017), at least in Canada, the 6AT was the only tranny available for all trims except for the Touring, which got the ZF 9AT

Frame design / attachment points not designed for towing perhaps... still a wonder why the tow rating is so much less than its competitors... BMW X3 and Audi Q5 can tow 4,400 lbs with their 2.0L turbos, and the Mercedes GLC can tow 3,500 lbs...
The current 5th gen Odyssey gets the 10speed in the Elite and Touring trims; everything else gets the ZF9.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:37 AM
Drifting

Are Ridgeline and Pilot (lower trims) the only Honda vehicles that still get Honda's 6AT? Looks like they have a 5000 pound tow rating with AWD or 3500 with FWD. Same with Passport, all trims of which get the ZF 9AT.

I wonder if Honda is ramping up production of the 10AT at the expense of the 6AT.

Supposedly Honda left themselves some headroom for increased torque capacity when they designed the 10AT. Time will tell.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by supafamous
Assuming the motor is intended to compete with the entry level 6 cylinders from the 340i, C43, S4 etc it's likely to make around 350-370hp and Audi, BMW, and Mercedes have all gone single turbo for that output level. It's only when they get to the 400+ range that a twin is needed. It's not clear if Honda is basing this of a J30 motor or something much more clean sheet. The NSX V6 is a 75 degree motor so that block would be a bad fit for the FWD layouts Acura has. If the motor is clean sheet then I'd expect two output levels - a single turbo for Type-S and then eventually a wilder twin turbo for an even wilder Type-S (R?) - basically cribbing from exactly what Audi, BMW, and Mercedes are doing with their 3L sixes. The playbook for turbo sixes have been set by these folks, I'd expect Honda to hew pretty closely to that as the 2L turbo is gonna show up in everything and maps to the German's strategy as well.
One additional thought on the V6 - plumbing a normal transverse twin turbo is a PITA because of the space it takes up. I'd be really curious if Honda finds a way to make it a hot Vee setup like how Audi does it but Audi went down the 90 degree setup to give it room and packages their motor longitudinally.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Are Ridgeline and Pilot (lower trims) the only Honda vehicles that still get Honda's 6AT? Looks like they have a 5000 pound tow rating with AWD or 3500 with FWD. Same with Passport, all trims of which get the ZF 9AT.

I wonder if Honda is ramping up production of the 10AT at the expense of the 6AT.

Supposedly Honda left themselves some headroom for increased torque capacity when they designed the 10AT. Time will tell.
Per: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...-clutch-pedal/

According to Sladek, the initial torque capacity is 275 lb-ft, with enough headroom built into the design to accommodate the expected spread from the new Odyssey throughout the Honda and Acura product lineups.
Unless Honda plans on using one of their dual clutch boxes for the turbo v6 I'd say that auto is going to get beefed up for heavier duty work.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:44 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
lol for the ones that want more power; why not move to BMW?

the B58(X3 M40i) is putting out 370-ish Horsepower and over 400lbs of torque. TO THE WHEELS.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:00 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,441 Likes on 1,888 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace

the B58(X3 M40i) is putting out 370-ish Horsepower and over 400lbs of torque. TO THE WHEELS.
That's my plan if the Type S doesn't come out next year. I prefer the RDX (infotainment woes notwithstanding) over the X3 30i, GLC300, and Q5 (in that order), and I suspect I would prefer the hypothetical RDX Type-S over the X3 M340i, GLC43 AMG, and SQ5, but alas it does not exist.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:21 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by justnspace

What's the out-the-door cost of that bad boy? With a steering wheel and seats? ( Mild riff on ala carte pricing... ).
Old 07-08-2019, 06:26 PM
Drifting

One additional thought on the V6 - plumbing a normal transverse twin turbo is a PITA because of the space it takes up. I'd be really curious if Honda finds a way to make it a hot Vee setup like how Audi does it but Audi went down the 90 degree setup to give it room and packages their motor longitudinally.
Yeah, there's roughly a 0% chance Acura will turn the engine lengthwise in any of their mainstream vehicles, so that is a limitation.
HotRodW (07-09-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 06:30 PM

What's the out-the-door cost of that bad boy? With a steering wheel and seats? ( Mild riff on ala carte pricing... ).
not sure, dont care...I'm not the one wanting something that Acura will never produce.
also, dont kid yourselves, if Acura produces something that competes with the Audi and BMW, it will be expensive too.

they are trying to sell a hand painted TLX with no engine upgrades for $51k.

phillyman1998 (02-13-2020)
Old 07-08-2019, 08:07 PM

PMC, or Performance Manufacturing Center.

yeah, the paint ADDS 50HP

Old 07-08-2019, 11:31 PM
Drifting

"Performance enhancement" has different meanings, depending on who you ask...
Old 07-09-2019, 08:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 325 Likes on 203 Posts
Yeah, there's roughly a 0% chance Acura will turn the engine lengthwise in any of their mainstream vehicles ...
I'm not even that optimistic.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Yeah, there's roughly a 0% chance Acura will turn the engine lengthwise in any of their mainstream vehicles, so that is a limitation.
Yup, can't see them building a custom front end to do this - the packaging limitations goes against Honda's way of building cars. That said, my bigger question is what the exact configuration is going to be on the turbo V6. Transverse turbo 6s are complicated for packaging and performance.

Longitudinal turbo 6s: Audi, BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes (Straight and V), Infiniti, Cadillac, Subaru
Transverse: Ford Ecoboost (transverse installations max out at 365hp)
Old 07-09-2019, 05:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Yup, can't see them building a custom front end to do this - the packaging limitations goes against Honda's way of building cars. That said, my bigger question is what the exact configuration is going to be on the turbo V6. Transverse turbo 6s are complicated for packaging and performance.

Longitudinal turbo 6s: Audi, BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes (Straight and V), Infiniti, Cadillac, Subaru
Transverse: Ford Ecoboost (transverse installations max out at 365hp)

The transverse 3.0 turbo in some Lincoln's produces 400hp just fyi.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:52 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think this is the RDX Type S hiding in plain view.......

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-ne...-ar185864.html

The Acura RDX A-Spec is making a triumphant return to the 2019 Pikes Peak International Hill Climb a year after making its debut at the event. This year, the RDX A-Spec will race in practically the same setup as it did last year. That includes a production model-sourced 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine that produces 350 horsepower and 330 pound-feet of torque. The output represents an increase of 78 horsepower and 50 pound-feet of torque, which is a by-product of Acura dropping a larger turbocharger and intercooler into the proceedings.
The automaker also installed a 48-volt electric supercharger that should come in handy in fighting turbo lag, particularly when the RDX comes closer to the top of the mountain.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:20 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by OzwaldoTx
I think this is the RDX Type S hiding in plain view.......

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-ne...-ar185864.html

The Acura RDX A-Spec is making a triumphant return to the 2019 Pikes Peak International Hill Climb a year after making its debut at the event. This year, the RDX A-Spec will race in practically the same setup as it did last year. That includes a production model-sourced 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine that produces 350 horsepower and 330 pound-feet of torque. The output represents an increase of 78 horsepower and 50 pound-feet of torque, which is a by-product of Acura dropping a larger turbocharger and intercooler into the proceedings.

The automaker also installed a 48-volt electric supercharger that should come in handy in fighting turbo lag, particularly when the RDX comes closer to the top of the mountain.
That's an interesting article, but I want to hear more about how they pulled the 3rd-row seats out of the RDX to save weight.

Here's a slightly different version "from the horse's mouth":

http://acuranews.com/acura-automobil...enges-the-pack
Old 07-09-2019, 09:56 PM
Drifting

I forgot about this. If this is accurate, all 2020 Ridgelines will get the 9AT. Another one bites the dust.

https://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?...tem_id=1389387
Old 07-09-2019, 11:29 PM
Burning Brakes

The transverse 3.0 turbo in some Lincoln's produces 400hp just fyi.
Which ones? The MKT and Nautilus both top out at 365hp. Only the Aviator and Navigator go past that and those are longitudinal installs. Am I missing a trim level?
Old 07-10-2019, 03:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Which ones? The MKT and Nautilus both top out at 365hp. Only the Aviator and Navigator go past that and those are longitudinal installs. Am I missing a trim level?
I wasn't talking about the SUV's, I was talking about the sedans. They come with a transverse twin turbo 3.0 V6 that puts out 400hp and 400lb/ft.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:55 AM
Burning Brakes

I wasn't talking about the SUV's, I was talking about the sedans. They come with a transverse twin turbo 3.0 V6 that puts out 400hp and 400lb/ft.
D'oh, yes. The Lincoln Continental has a 400hp variant. Forgot Lincoln offers cars anymore. Thanks for the correction. Since that's a variant of the CD4 chassis (Fusion) it's a tight package: https://www.motortrend.com/cars/linc...-awd-engine-02

Looks like air to air intercooling is happening which can't be great for plumbing or turbo lag. If Honda's not going hot Vee I'd hope they go liquid to air with the intercooler located atop the engine for efficiency and less lag.

Quick Reply: RDX Type-S