Problem with manual shifts with paddles

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 03:26 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with manual shifts with paddles

I tried using the shift paddles while the car was in Sport mode on the D/S selector. I was in 1st gear when I accelerated and the car still automatically shifts into 2nd gear without me pressing the right paddle. When the car is in 2nd gear and so on it doesn't automatically shift anymore and the car is in full manual mode. My question is why does the transmission still shift by itself from 1st to 2nd when the car is in full manual mode? Anyone else experience this?
Old 08-29-2018, 03:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
This might be what you're experiencing:

(Page 424 of the OM)

■ When the transmission is in (S)
The vehicle will go into the sequential mode, and the M (sequential mode) indicator
and sequential mode gear selection indicator will come on.
If the vehicle speed increases and the engine speed reaches near the tachometer’s
red zone, the transmission automatically shifts up to the next gear.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:39 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by MI-RDX

(Page 424 of the OM)

The vehicle will go into the sequential mode, and the M (sequential mode) indicator
If the vehicle speed increases and the engine speed reaches near the tachometer’s
I see, I'll look out for that. Weird... cause I didn't notice this after 2nd gear. It seems like the car shifts out of 1st at 5K RPM into 2nd gear in full manual mode
Old 08-29-2018, 07:18 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Will3212
I tried using the shift paddles while the car was in Sport mode on the D/S selector. I was in 1st gear when I accelerated and the car still automatically shifts into 2nd gear without me pressing the right paddle. When the car is in 2nd gear and so on it doesn't automatically shift anymore and the car is in full manual mode. My question is why does the transmission still shift by itself from 1st to 2nd when the car is in full manual mode? Anyone else experience this?
It will automatically go in to 2nd gear. Same as my TLX and Gen 2 RDX's. When stopped and you put the D/S button in "S" then flick your paddle to be in 1st gear, and full Sequential Mode, and then you are on your own with the paddles. If I'm understanding what you did correctly. Hope so.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:52 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Thumbs up Clarifying to be clear.

Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
It will automatically go in to 2nd gear. Same as my TLX and Gen 2 RDX's. When stopped and you put the D/S button in "S" then flick your paddle to be in 1st gear, and full Sequential Mode, and then you are on your own with the paddles. If I'm understanding what you did correctly. Hope so.
I'll write this another way...maybe more clear. Anytime you are stopped and put the shifter in to "S" mode, and THEN pull your left paddle shifter, on your MID it will say SM1. So, then you accelerate....and guess what....it WILL
automatically shift to 2nd......after that you are on your own. THE MANUAL DOES NOT CLEARLY EXPLAIN THIS....that I can find.

If you are driving along in "S" mode and pull a paddle shifter...the MID will show....SMx, "x" is for whatever gear the trans happens to be in when you pull the paddle. Then, again, you are on your own with the trans...shifting is all on you.
Now, you do nothing else.....and come to a stop. You probably, as most, would have down shifted as you came to that stop. At the stop you pull the left paddle so the trans goes in to 1st gear. Actually it will go to 1st when you come to a stop. You then take off and....guess what???
it will automatically shift in to 2nd gear. Then, again, you are on your own. That's how Acura has been doing this type of Sequential shifting in all their vehicles. They all will automatically shift to 2nd....then, you are on your own.

That's the straight scoop...you can take that to the bank. And, yes, I double checked...even though I've owned MANY Acuras....I haven't actually played with my new RDX that much, since my wife drives it most of the time! LOL!
So, I just got back and went through the "motions"....and what I wrote is exactly correct.

Last edited by Colorado Guy AF Ret.; 08-29-2018 at 07:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Will3212 (08-30-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 07:57 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Smile

Originally Posted by MI-RDX

(Page 424 of the OM)

Please read my post. The Manual does NOT explain at all what truly happens. When in full Sequential Mode, and you take off in 1st...the trans will AUTOMATICALLY shift in to 2nd gear....then you are on your own.
Will3212 (08-30-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 02:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
My 1G RDX would allow me to have complete manual control in all gears, 1 to 5. But I'm certain the first gear on this new 10 speed is extremely short and thus why they force the upshift. I personally hate it, but I think it was done as a preventative/protective measure. On my 1G first gear was super super tall so they let me rev it to my hearts content. Though I never ever did except once by accident.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 527 Likes on 339 Posts
I am pretty sure that the 4th Gen TL did this too, I believe it was with the MMC. In manual mode it still shifted 1-2 auto and then you were on your own.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:44 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
I'll write this another way...maybe more clear. Anytime you are stopped and put the shifter in to "S" mode, and THEN pull your left paddle shifter, on your MID it will say SM1. So, then you accelerate....and guess what....it WILL
automatically shift to 2nd......after that you are on your own. THE MANUAL DOES NOT CLEARLY EXPLAIN THIS....that I can find.

If you are driving along in "S" mode and pull a paddle shifter...the MID will show....SMx, "x" is for whatever gear the trans happens to be in when you pull the paddle. Then, again, you are on your own with the trans...shifting is all on you.
Now, you do nothing else.....and come to a stop. You probably, as most, would have down shifted as you came to that stop. At the stop you pull the left paddle so the trans goes in to 1st gear. Actually it will go to 1st when you come to a stop. You then take off and....guess what???
it will automatically shift in to 2nd gear. Then, again, you are on your own. That's how Acura has been doing this type of Sequential shifting in all their vehicles. They all will automatically shift to 2nd....then, you are on your own.

That's the straight scoop...you can take that to the bank. And, yes, I double checked...even though I've owned MANY Acuras....I haven't actually played with my new RDX that much, since my wife drives it most of the time! LOL!
So, I just got back and went through the "motions"....and what I wrote is exactly correct.
thanks for clarifying, by the way do you know if it matters weather or not im on the gas pedal when I'm up shifting/down shifting with the paddles? like is it better for the transmission to NOT give it any gas while up or down shifting?

Last edited by Will3212; 08-30-2018 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-30-2018, 12:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
thanks for clarifying, by the way do you know if it matters weather or not im on the gas pedal when I'm up shifting/down shifting with the paddles? like is it better for the transmission to NOT give it any gas while up or down shifting?
When you drive nornally, do you take your foot off the gas just before each shift? Why would it matter that you need to take your foot off the gas?
Old 08-31-2018, 10:28 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Smile

You are welcome. Basically it doesn't matter on the gas pedal. If I'm accelerating, I'll add more gas. If I'm down shifting I'll let off the gas...IF my intent is to slow down, but, I can down shift a gear or two and accelerate briskly IF
I'm street racing someone. It all depends on what you want to do with your shifting. You can down shift one gear at a time if you are coming eventually to a stop sign/light, and you would have your foot off the gas, and giving a
little braking action. The dropping of gears helps slow you down....especially IF you are coming to the stop....."HOT"...and need to slow down quickly and you don't want to use all brake...thus saving on your brake pads and rotors.
Let the trans help you slow down. Same as if you were driving a stick shift car.
Old 09-01-2018, 07:21 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I've had a few +16 MDX loaners with the 9AT. It had the strange sensation of accelerating as I used the paddles to downshift 1-3 gears to use engine braking before a curve. It happened enough times where I stopped using the paddles and it took too long to paddle shift +4 gears to get the engine braking. Any 3rd Gen RDX owners notice this with paddle shifting in auto mode with the 10AT?

5AT/6AT folks also had the option of going into manual mode at a stop and start the vehicle in 2nd gear if you are on slippery terrain (snow/ice/mud conditions). Does the 19 RDX let you start in 2nd (or 3rd) gear in manual mode at a stop?

The biggest use I get out of my manual mode is driving mountain switchbacks. I use manual to hold gears for power up inclines, keep my rpms in sweet spot for 295-300 ft/lbs tq, or engine braking so I don't ride the brakes before curves. Sometimes, my 5AT won't downshift because of the rpms would be above/below a certain range when I do. I can switch into manual mode and that allows me to downshift with a wider rpm range (I can downshift to 2nd in manual mode; but, locked out in auto mode at certain speeds). Not sure if that is normal ECU programming OR a result of my Hondata reflash (Hondata also raises the rev limit to 7200 rpms in manual mode). Any 19 RDX owners notice a change in the range to downshift in manual mode compared to auto?
Old 09-21-2018, 10:47 AM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35
Does the 19 RDX let you start in 2nd (or 3rd) gear in manual mode at a stop?
Yes. Second gear can be manually selected using the + paddle shifter in S mode while stopped. Every time you stop, it will downshift back to first, though. My 2018 Accord 2.0T was the same way.
mrgold35 (09-21-2018)