massive hesitation on acceleration after braking is driving me NUTS !!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 10:57 AM
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts
Angry massive hesitation on acceleration after braking is driving me NUTS !!

I'm seriously considering trying to sell my lease as I'm so frustrated with the performance. When trying to accelerate after braking the vehicle has a MASSIVE hesitation where it just sits there doing nothing literally for a solid second or 2. Not only being very frustrating it's IMO very dangerous. If I'm at a yield and then need to merge quickly, if I'm getting on a highway from a parking lot, if I'm trying to switch lanes in traffic, etc etc the vehicle just bogs down and does nothing for that 1-2 seconds. I've never in my entire life had a vehicle which did this. I live in NJ so pretty much every driving move I make involves some form of braking and then accelerating due to the traffic here. I think yesterday was my breaking point as I was in traffic and braking and saw an opportunity to change lanes, I had open road and the vehicle in that lane was at least 10 car lengths away but was accelerating fairly fast. Normally it would be an easy, safe and legal maneuver, but having the vehicle bog down for 1-2 seconds while switching lanes made it quite dangerous and probably made me look like an Ahole.

My first thought was something was faulty. I took it to the dealer and had them test drive it and they said it was normal. I got into a long conversation with the service manager who said it wasn't turbo lag, but rather the way the transmission was designed. He also said that running regular grade gas would make it worse, which just tanked his credibility. I did experiment with regular versus premium and noticed zero difference. I only had the vehicle a couple of months so just accepted what he said, but now about 6 months in I just completely hate this vehicle because of the hesitation. On my next service appointment I'm going to make sure a tech rides along with me and see if they think this is indeed normal.

Anyone else seeing this? Drive the vehicle normally, apply the brakes and then right away take your foot off the brake and accelerate. You don't have to mash the accelerator, even with light to moderate pressure you will notice that lag where the vehicle is just sitting there with zero power. If you do accelerate moderately or hard after a second or 2 of doing nothing it will just completely jerk into motion. Does the same thing in all modes, it's actually worse in Sport and Sport+ mode because you get more power after the hesitation.

Last edited by spinedoc777; 05-22-2019 at 10:59 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by spinedoc777:
Alias1431 (05-22-2019), Catman70 (05-27-2019), russianDude (07-03-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 11:25 AM
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts
I encounter the same lag when braking to enter a round-a-bout and then trying to accelerate hard to merge with the traffic in the circle. What I have found is that if you tap the left (downshift) paddle a couple of times when braking, it eliminates most of the lag when accelerating again. Must kick the transmission control into a different region of code where it doesn't have the think as long trying to decide what you really want to do.

PS - pretty sure Its not the gasoline!!
The following users liked this post:
spinedoc777 (05-22-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 11:29 AM
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by MT-RDX
I encounter the same lag when braking to enter a round-a-bout and then trying to accelerate hard to merge with the traffic in the circle. What I have found is that if you tap the left (downshift) paddle a couple of times when braking, it eliminates most of the lag when accelerating again. Must kick the transmission control into a different region of code where it doesn't have the think as long trying to decide what you really want to do.

PS - pretty sure Its not the gasoline!!
Interesting, thanks I will give that a try. If it is indeed the trans computer as the dealer says then this makes perfect sense. It's just that sometimes you don't have the reaction time to think about hitting the downshift paddle.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I am pretty sure it's the transmission.. the ZF 9 speed I had in the TLX did the same thing. Too many gears and the computer has no idea what to do
spinedoc777 (05-22-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 05:01 PM
2019 BMW X3 M40i

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by spinedoc777
Interesting, thanks I will give that a try. If it is indeed the trans computer as the dealer says then this makes perfect sense. It's just that sometimes you don't have the reaction time to think about hitting the downshift paddle.
It's also insulting that Acura's only fix for something broken is, "just do it manually!"
RENARELLO (02-25-2020)
Old 05-22-2019, 05:31 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I got my car last July. I haven't experienced the hesitations that you described. I wonder if they reprogrammed the transmission some time later during production. What was the build date of your car?

Also, can you describe what happens during the hesitations? What rpms? What speed were you going at and what speed are you trying to accelerate to? Does the car stuck at a low rpm? What about the turbo boost meter? Is it all red?
The following 2 users liked this post by pcmcia:
exist12 (01-14-2020), securityguy (05-27-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 07:01 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I test drove the advance model in February I experienced the same thing. That is one of the biggest reason I am hesitating to buy a 2019 RDX. I am waiting for the 2020 model hoping the issue is fixed.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:50 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know exactly how you feel!!! I am a lot more cautious now when switching lanes.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:06 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Yep, it’s a transmission software, being too slow to choose the right gear in those kind of situation. I’m wondering if is doing the same thing in Accord, since is the same transmission, unless is programmed differently.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:20 PM
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by corners
When I test drove the advance model in February I experienced the same thing. That is one of the biggest reason I am hesitating to buy a 2019 RDX. I am waiting for the 2020 model hoping the issue is fixed.
I see what you did there...
Old 05-22-2019, 09:23 PM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts
This is my only complaint on an otherwise fantastic car. It really kills the sporty driving experience, and absolutely is dangerous because the car just doesn’t react. Really hope a software update fixes it someday.
The following 2 users liked this post by tobey457:
RiotfunK (11-26-2021), wsw (05-24-2020)
Old 05-22-2019, 09:42 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Yep found the same frustration. However if approching the same situation I found that with foot on break and giving a little gas at the same time my RDX is instantaneous with rapid take off from one of those start stop situations. Not to mention bringing it up to 2000 rpm's at a stop light it your foot on the break will lurch the RDX faster than 5.0 mustang. Ha Ha

wsw (11-14-2021)
Old 05-22-2019, 10:27 PM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
A twist of the Big Chrome Knob to "Sport+ Dynamic Mode" will eliminate most of that hesitation. Or a push on the D/S transmission button to put the transmission into "S mode".

Either approach is readily reversible when conditions change, which is good cuz IMO it's way too buzzy to leave it that way for routine driving.

These comments should not be construed as an excuse for inadequate control software. There is room for improvement.
thetrev68 (09-30-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 10:44 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by samiam_68
I see what you did there...
Hahaha did not even realize that I did that
Old 05-23-2019, 12:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 323 Likes on 191 Posts
Does anyone notice when accelerating hard, not max but hard, kind of a non linear surge In power, very slightly it feels like the power is coming and going, up and down, I would describe it like the power is coming on stronger but In like a wave ever so slightly, like almost the slightest hesitation as it’s increasing in rpm and then no hesitation, then hesitation, it’s a very light feeling but I noticed it
Old 05-23-2019, 07:15 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
Originally Posted by Dereileak
Does anyone notice when accelerating hard, not max but hard, kind of a non linear surge In power, very slightly it feels like the power is coming and going, up and down, I would describe it like the power is coming on stronger but In like a wave ever so slightly, like almost the slightest hesitation as it’s increasing in rpm and then no hesitation, then hesitation, it’s a very light feeling but I noticed it
I felt the tooth fairy move my pillow once
Old 05-23-2019, 08:17 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Dereileak
Yes I've noticed that too.....sort of a microscopic surge. I've found higher octane fuel gets rid of most of it. We have 94 at one brand up here.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:00 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
You may just need a V6, plain and simple. Not everyone does, but you probably do to enjoy your experience.
I’ve had all kinds of vehicles...
- 4 cylinder NA
- 4 cyliner turbo
- 6 in line
- V6
- V8
- Turbo Diesel
- 2WD: RWD/FWD, AWD, 4WD, 4x4
- Sports cars, SUVs, pickup trucks mid-size, half ton, quarter ton, Sedans

Not every car and combo is right for each person. Even the best 4 cylinder turbos have turbo lag. Most can deal with it, some can’t.
I don’t love it, miss my MDX V6 at times, but I can deal with it and not planning to sell my car or anything. It still drives awesome other than the lag, and gets better mileage than a V6.

You can improve it some by just putting it in Sport+, and getting into it and saying screw gas mileage. The lag probably won’t bug you as much, but the 16mpg and slight lag might.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 391 Likes on 296 Posts
Originally Posted by REALM
Even the best 4 cylinder turbos have turbo lag.
Totally agree with this. I hated the BMW turbo 4 (N20, 240 HP) after having driven the I-6 (186 HP) even though it had roughly 33% more HP, even more % torque, and the trade rags claimed it didn't have turbo lag because it was a twin scroll turbo. It kind of had this "sling shot" effect where you felt some hesitation and then the car just took off, but I much preferred the linear power delivery of the I-6. I found it much more satisfying even though it was slower.

The only way to avoid a pronounced sling shot effect was to be gentle with the throttle (i.e. no mashing the pedal).

With the RDX, the power is actually only comparable to the V-6, so for those who had the V-6 in a prev gen RDX, I think they will find it very hard to adjust to the new engine.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:19 AM
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 86 Posts
We really like our RDX, but now when I step on the accelerator of my 2001 CL-S and feel that instant power and torque, I say to myself, "Damn, I love this car!"
tabs31 (06-01-2019)
Old 05-26-2019, 06:29 PM
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by REALM
Even the best 4 cylinder turbos have turbo lag. Most can deal with it, some can’t.
2004 Subaru Forester XT Turbo 2.5 4-cyl had absolutely no hesitation. The power came on so instantly, it almost felt like an electric motor. This was the best matched combination of engine + vehicle size/weight + AWD system + 5 speed manual transmission or 4-sp auto (I had both) that I have ever experienced, and I have owned various vehicles with many kinds of engines including Supras (Turbo and non-turbo) and V-8 GS-400. Having said that, my 2G V-6 RDX is more responsive and predictable than the 3G RDX I test drove. On the other hand, the 3G is more responsive than the 1G turbo - that thing had so much lag it was almost dangerous.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:26 AM
2022 MDX Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts
Pretty certain that the worst instances of this delay are caused by the transmission and not any turbo lag. I’ve noticed that even in sport mode, if I don’t come to a full 1-Mississippi stop then the trans doesn’t get down into first gear. Might actually be in third. Really annoying in certain driving scenarios and could cause some dangerous driving situations.

Between this and the constant infotainment issues, I do regret buying this car. X3 has neither of these issues and I was offered one at the same price of my Advance. First and last Acura for me.
johnnyxhuynh (04-12-2021)
Old 05-27-2019, 12:33 PM
Drifting

I agree. I'm sure there is some turbo lag, but that should be the same whether you're starting from a full stop at idle, or reaccelerating after coasting or braking.

In the situations I have the biggest problem, I think the transmission gets caught flat in a tall gear, and the controllers won't let the engine do ANYTHING until it's fully sorted out. And then once it gets good and ready, you start with the slight turbo lag and then it goes like a bat out of hell.

I think the controllers are overly protective of the drivetrain, at the expense of drivability. And sometimes, at the expense of safety.
Old 05-27-2019, 01:21 PM
Intermediate

Does this “hesitating” issue exist in the 2020 model? Anyone test drive the 2020 yet?
Old 05-27-2019, 04:08 PM
Drifting

Received 1,025 Likes on 715 Posts
I haven't encountered it in my own driving, and I have over 11K miles. I just don’t drive it like a sports car, I suppose.
lionel464 (11-13-2020)
Old 05-27-2019, 04:24 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
This sound to me like massive problem, does this problem ever been proven or reported to Acura? I am sure if they know they’ll issue some kind of statement, and cannot be ignored, not that I am experienced this massive problem, mine has been nothing but joy driving it since August 2018...
Old 05-27-2019, 05:07 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
I haven't encountered it in my own driving, and I have over 11K miles. I just don’t drive it like a sports car, I suppose.
You have the apec model? Maybe the issue is less of a problem in the higher models?
Old 05-27-2019, 06:03 PM
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts
Same here. I'm lovin' my RDX.

lionel464 (11-13-2020)
Old 05-27-2019, 06:04 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I have not experienced the acceleration lag you describe with our Advance purchased in December 2018.

If you want instant acceleration try a BMW i3. Lots of fun.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 125 Posts
No acceleration lag here either. @corners ...the 2020 is a carryover with no changes to the vehicle at all. If they do modify any software, it will be available for the 2019 regardless.
lionel464 (11-13-2020)
Old 05-28-2019, 12:09 AM
Drifting

I just don’t drive it like a sports car, I suppose.
Turning left onto busy two-lane highways isn't so much about sportiness, it's more about survival.

Having said that, I tend to drive like my Brittany Spaniels run. In other words, like my a$$ is on fire.

One especially troublesome spot for me has a steep down-gradient from an at-grade railroad crossing that is just before the highway intersection. So I wonder if the grade-logic system is messing things up. Dunno.

FWIW my Advance SH-AWD is a very early build ( purchased "opening weekend", June 2018 ).

AFAIK car manufacturers are free to make "running changes" to their product at any time, without notice to consumers. It's up to the manufacturer whether they make those changes available as a retrofit to previously built and purchased product. If it's strictly a software change, I would hope Acura would do so, but I don't think it's guaranteed. They really don't like the "R-word". ( Recall ).
Old 05-28-2019, 07:28 AM
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander
FWIW my Advance SH-AWD is a very early build ( purchased "opening weekend", June 2018 ).

AFAIK car manufacturers are free to make "running changes" to their product at any time, without notice to consumers. It's up to the manufacturer whether they make those changes available as a retrofit to previously built and purchased product. If it's strictly a software change, I would hope Acura would do so, but I don't think it's guaranteed. They really don't like the "R-word". ( Recall ).
To satisfy your curiosity you could visit your local Acura dealer and test drive a new one- perhaps the next time yours is in for service.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:43 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by corners
You have the apec model? Maybe the issue is less of a problem in the higher models?
No, just the AWD Tech. I just don’t drive as aggressively as I used to. The described circumstance seems to be coming to a stop, then nailing it at low speed before the actual stop. I don’t commute anymore, and my part of suburbia is more two lane blacktop than very busy intersections.

Last edited by Madd Dog; 05-28-2019 at 07:46 AM.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:22 AM
Racer

Again any update from OP (spinedoc777) ??
Old 05-28-2019, 03:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
As mentioned by Stew above, this is somewhat typical of the programming for the high gear cars. The TLX with that horrible ZF9 had a dreadful time doing the decelerate then rapid accelerate problem....it also has dog clutches that do not help. I think Acura tries to program the transmissions to satisfy most driving condition, but if you want instant power after a deceleration or while moving, some cars have trouble doing the downshifts quickly enough. Another reason to test drive the hell out of new cars for the type of driving that you tend to do. Honestly I could really just go for a 6 speed with a V6. The mileage numbers are not that different and at least I know what I am getting.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:05 PM
Drifting

I tested it out today and was able to induce it. I slowed gradually to about 5mph, then nailed it, and the trans indeed took more than expected time to accelerate. Going to Sport did not improve things measurably.
lionel464 (11-13-2020)
Old 05-28-2019, 10:30 PM
Drifting

I tested it out today and was able to induce it. I slowed gradually to about 5mph, then nailed it, and the trans indeed took more than expected time to accelerate. Going to Sport did not improve things measurably.
My wife claims Sport+ "dynamic mode" makes it better, on the few occasions she drives the RDX. But those occasions do tend to include rush-hour traffic and the aforementioned left turn from he11. Even with a momentary complete stop, there can be a very uncomfortable delay.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:12 AM
Racer

traction control ON or OFF?
lionel464 (11-13-2020)
Old 05-29-2019, 10:32 AM
Drifting

Traction control is definitely an issue in winter. Do you think it's intervening on dry pavement?
lionel464 (11-13-2020)
Old 05-29-2019, 11:04 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Wander
Traction control is definitely an issue in winter. Do you think it's intervening on dry pavement?
it could also be, specially in low gear..you notice people that like to launch or drag race their car that equipped with traction control, first thing they did is to disable the traction control..just saying..
lionel464 (11-13-2020)

Quick Reply: massive hesitation on acceleration after braking is driving me NUTS !!