massive hesitation on acceleration after braking is driving me NUTS !!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 11:59 AM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by Yotrek
traction control ON or OFF?
Everything set to normal. Comfort mode, trans in D traction on, just like a regular daay out driving.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:06 PM
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts
Laggy transmission, stays in a higher gear too long while slowing down. As someone else posted, I manually downshift 2 gears and acceleration isn't laggy. And totally agree, we shouldn't have to adjust for the transmission manually, less than ideal tuning by Acura.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:18 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
it could also be, specially in low gear..you notice people that like to launch or drag race their car that equipped with traction control, first thing they did is to disable the traction control..just saying..
But that's because the traction control will dial back engine output and/or selectively apply wheel braking when it senses wheel-spin. And then that darn Porsche will get ahead of you.

In the situation we're discussing, engine output is ZERO for an uncomfortably long period of time, so wheel-spin isn't a factor. I'd be happy for some wheel spin, as long as it's in the right direction. Beats getting swung around by a semi.
The following users liked this post:
lionel464 (11-13-2020)
Old 05-29-2019, 06:47 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by markm929
Laggy transmission, stays in a higher gear too long while slowing down. As someone else posted, I manually downshift 2 gears and acceleration isn't laggy. And totally agree, we shouldn't have to adjust for the transmission manually, less than ideal tuning by Acura.
I manually downshifted after slowing down getting ready to accelerate and it showed 4th gear! This seems to be the cause of the laggy throttle response because it's in too high of a gear to accelerate. Mine was trying to accelerate from 4th causing it to bog down, unless I manually dropped it a few gears every time I come to a stop. Just another RDX quirk to deal with...
lionel464 (11-13-2020)
Old 05-30-2019, 07:29 PM
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander
A twist of the Big Chrome Knob to "Sport+ Dynamic Mode" will eliminate most of that hesitation. Or a push on the D/S transmission button to put the transmission into "S mode".

Either approach is readily reversible when conditions change, which is good cuz IMO it's way too buzzy to leave it that way for routine driving.

These comments should not be construed as an excuse for inadequate control software. There is room for improvement.
The sport and sport + do absolutely nothing for the hesitation. Those modes actually make it worse because it seems the car lurches forward even more forcefully. I actually haven't tried S mode yet, but I really doubt that will help.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:35 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by REALM
You may just need a V6, plain and simple. Not everyone does, but you probably do to enjoy your experience.
I’ve had all kinds of vehicles...
- 4 cylinder NA
- 4 cyliner turbo
- 6 in line
- V6
- V8
- Turbo Diesel
- 2WD: RWD/FWD, AWD, 4WD, 4x4
- Sports cars, SUVs, pickup trucks mid-size, half ton, quarter ton, Sedans

Not every car and combo is right for each person. Even the best 4 cylinder turbos have turbo lag. Most can deal with it, some can’t.
I don’t love it, miss my MDX V6 at times, but I can deal with it and not planning to sell my car or anything. It still drives awesome other than the lag, and gets better mileage than a V6.

You can improve it some by just putting it in Sport+, and getting into it and saying screw gas mileage. The lag probably won’t bug you as much, but the 16mpg and slight lag might.
I believe this is the first 4 cylinder I've ever had in my life. Maybe I had a 4 cylinder beater when I was a kid, my first car was a 74 Celica lol. But I'm used to V8's and my last vehicle was a 3.8 V6 which I was very happy with. But I still suspect it's that the trans isn't shifting down and the vehicle has no power for those 1-2 seconds, it doesn't feel like it's even running on 4 cylinders unless the MO for a 4 cylinder is to just sit there. It's only at low RPM's such as when slowing or stopping, otherwise the trans seems snappy enough although a bit artificial feeling because of the turbo and the sport mode raising the shift points so high. I cannot for the life of me remember a single car in my life that I've ever driven to have this issue, it's a serious safety concern.

The sport+ mode does nothing for it but make it worse. Gas mileage isn't very good anyway so I just roll with it, I don't care much though how much I spend on gas. But my prior V6 vehicle got much better gas mileage and I rode that one hard in sport mode as well.

Last edited by spinedoc777; 05-30-2019 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:42 PM
Racer

Again any update from OP (spinedoc777) ??
No solution yet, I doubt there is one. I previously complained to the service manager but he said it was the way the transmission functioned. Of course he also didn't inspire confidence telling me it might be because of my gas. When it goes in for its first service I am going to ride him hard about it, make him come with me for a test drive and also ask if I can drive another one to see if it does the same. But I think it's all for nothing, I think Acura/Honda just made a shitty transmission when it comes to shifting down. Heck if they can't fix their massive infotainment issues how the heck can they be expected to fix a transmission issue, which reminds me I have to get on them for the absolutely shitty issues I'm also having with the infotainment system. Without a doubt this is the last Acura I will buy, but I'm stuck with this one for 2 1/2 more years.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:14 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by spinedoc777
No solution yet, I doubt there is one. I previously complained to the service manager but he said it was the way the transmission functioned. Of course he also didn't inspire confidence telling me it might be because of my gas. When it goes in for its first service I am going to ride him hard about it, make him come with me for a test drive and also ask if I can drive another one to see if it does the same. But I think it's all for nothing, I think Acura/Honda just made a shitty transmission when it comes to shifting down. Heck if they can't fix their massive infotainment issues how the heck can they be expected to fix a transmission issue, which reminds me I have to get on them for the absolutely shitty issues I'm also having with the infotainment system. Without a doubt this is the last Acura I will buy, but I'm stuck with this one for 2 1/2 more years.
If you are unhappy with it you really should try to get rid of it and get something else that makes you happy, especially if you think its a safety hazard. However, if you are really stuck with it, you can try driving in "S" shift mode and use the paddles to engage manual shifting. If you down shift often and early, keep the rpm at least 2k+, especially if you know you need to merge or get on a ramp, it should eliminate a lot the lags. Also, for me, my RDX, if I come to a FULL stop before accelerate again, I usually do not experience lag.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:34 PM
Drifting

Well, I drove a bunch of little NA 1.5L-1.8L 4-bangers attached to 5-speed manual transmissions back in the day. So the transmission usually did what I expected, but the high-revving engines that made a whopping 115hp or so at 6000 rpm barely made 25 hp at 1500 rpm. So it paid off to get the revs up and slip the clutch when you launched. If you got caught flat in a tall gear at low rpm, it was gonna be a long slow slog to get up to speed.

In contrast, the 2.0L turbo 4-banger in 2019 RDX is a very torquey little beast that pulls strong from 1500 rpm. That's why I think this is a transmission and engine controller programming issue.

The engine would do its part if the darn transmission wasn't clogging up the works. But I think the controllers won't even let the engine get going until the transmission has finished getting its act together. "Torque management" is the phrase that gets tossed around for this. Some of this is done for the sake of smoothness, or avoiding "shift shock". The engine controller automatically reduces engine output while the transmission shifts to reduce the "rubber band effect". But also, the controllers are protecting the drivetrain, especially the clutches of the transmission.
acuraada (06-01-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 05:56 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by omygod711
If you are unhappy with it you really should try to get rid of it and get something else that makes you happy, especially if you think its a safety hazard. However, if you are really stuck with it, you can try driving in "S" shift mode and use the paddles to engage manual shifting. If you down shift often and early, keep the rpm at least 2k+, especially if you know you need to merge or get on a ramp, it should eliminate a lot the lags. Also, for me, my RDX, if I come to a FULL stop before accelerate again, I usually do not experience lag.
I've thought about trying to sell the lease, it's a pretty good deal. Using the paddles is a good idea in theory, but in practice I almost never have enough time to think to downshift with them. Coming to a full stop there is no hesitation, only when rapidly slowing then accelerating before a full stop.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:03 AM
Racer

Drove to work in S mode today, didn't notice much difference but didn't have many opportunities to test it out. S mode isn't great though, it holds the RPM's much too high, I found myself on a regular road doing 40mph at 4k RPM for example. S mode also forces you into manual shifting mode if you use the paddles, since S mode revs so high I like to be able to downshift at higher speeds but can't do this without being forced into manual mode. In manual mode it stays in that gear forever instead of automatically changing gears. S mode and sport/sport+ mode also seems to be cumulatively raising RPM, but I prefer sport mode because of the stiffer handling and don't want to give that up. I will test S mode a bit more this weekend but it seems it actually makes things worse for my situation at least.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:06 AM
Drifting

It is definitely the transmission logic.
The following 3 users liked this post by Madd Dog:
acuraada (06-01-2019), Alias1431 (05-31-2019), wsw (05-24-2020)
Old 05-31-2019, 10:32 AM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Drove to work in S mode today, didn't notice much difference but didn't have many opportunities to test it out. S mode isn't great though, it holds the RPM's much too high, I found myself on a regular road doing 40mph at 4k RPM for example. S mode also forces you into manual shifting mode if you use the paddles, since S mode revs so high I like to be able to downshift at higher speeds but can't do this without being forced into manual mode. In manual mode it stays in that gear forever instead of automatically changing gears. S mode and sport/sport+ mode also seems to be cumulatively raising RPM, but I prefer sport mode because of the stiffer handling and don't want to give that up. I will test S mode a bit more this weekend but it seems it actually makes things worse for my situation at least.
Once u go into manual mode u have to committed to down shift AND upshift. Like a manual transmission car. Since you don't like the automatic logic , going full manual control seems like a good choice but you gonna have to do the extra work. However, You can also hold the upshift paddle for 4 seconds to cancel the manual shift mode.
Old 05-31-2019, 03:53 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
That's not true. Even when you press the S button the transmission still upshifts and downshifts. It just holds gears longer. It's not full manual mode at all.
Old 05-31-2019, 03:55 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Njbrandon
That's not true. Even when you press the S button the transmission still upshifts and downshifts. It just holds gears longer. It's not full manual mode at all.
I think you misunderstood. Once you are in S mode AFTER you upshift or downshift with the paddle shifters you get forced into manual mode.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:51 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I have had a "hesitation problem" but not quite like the OP has. Mine is on acceleration from a stop, where there is a noticeable lag in movement before it goes normally. This is NOT turbo lag. These are easy accelerations away from stop signs in residential areas and it is like the engine management computer is taking its time in deciding to deliver fuel to the engine. I also notice something like this when I start the car and back out of the garage. I put the car in reverse gear and nothing happens for a second or two before it "decides" to go. Agree with the OP that this condition is dangerous. If the dealer cannot/will not solve it, then I will start looking for another car.
The following 2 users liked this post by Pearl77:
Alias1431 (06-01-2019), wsw (05-24-2020)
Old 06-01-2019, 08:48 AM
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Njbrandon
I think you misunderstood. Once you are in S mode AFTER you upshift or downshift with the paddle shifters you get forced into manual mode.
FWIW, from the 2019 RDX Press Kit:

Paddle Shifter Operation in Sequential Mode (Sequential SportShift)
By selecting the "S" position with the transmission D/S selector button, Sequential mode is engaged. This mode offers automatic operation with more aggressive shift mapping and locks out operation of 9th and 10th gears. A pull on either of the paddle shifters places the transmission in fully manual mode until another mode of operation is selected. A digital display in the instrument cluster indicates which gear the transmission is in. The Drive-by-Wire™ throttle system creates a "blip" of the throttle to help match gear speeds while downshifting.

To prevent harm to the powertrain when the transmission is paddle shifted by the driver, the system will inhibit potentially damaging shifts. As an added safety measure, the Electronic Control Unit (ECU) can also cut off fuel to the engine to prevent over-revving. If fuel cutoff is insufficient to prevent engine over-revving, as might be possible when the vehicle is on a steep downhill, the transmission will automatically upshift to prevent damage. On downshifts, the transmission will not execute a driver command that will over-rev the engine.

For improved stop-and-go performance and to help prevent "lugging" the engine, the transmission will automatically downshift even though the transmission has been left in a higher gear as the vehicle comes to a stop.
Wander (06-01-2019)
Old 06-01-2019, 06:57 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by robnalex
For improved stop-and-go performance and to help prevent "lugging" the engine, the transmission will automatically downshift even though the transmission has been left in a higher gear as the vehicle comes to a stop.
That's a good summary, but to be clear, if the smart transmission downshifts when you stop, while in manual sequential mode, it won't prevent you from looking like an idiot when you accelerate from the stop and red-line the engine in about 0.3 seconds.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:27 AM
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 86 Posts
That's a good summary, but to be clear, if the smart transmission downshifts when you stop, while in manual sequential mode, it won't prevent you from looking like an idiot when you accelerate from the stop and red-line the engine in about 0.3 seconds.
Yep- same as with a fully manual tranny when you depress the clutch when coming to a stop but forget to downshift.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:10 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Also find this to be true, especially if you are slowing to s stop sign but do NOT 100 percent stop...then you encounter massive lag
The following 2 users liked this post by jperdoch:
Alias1431 (06-10-2019), wsw (05-24-2020)
Old 06-10-2019, 02:32 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep, the approx 1 sec lag is there since first generation of RDX. I experience it with '11 RDX. Just stupid programming IMO.
Very dangerous, especially when you slowdown in slow lane, and try to change to a lane with faster moving traffic.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:49 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation don't forget your paddle shifter at these moments

I too notice the delay during a rolling stop. Seems the transmission is trying to figure out if your going to come to a complete stop so it can shift into 1st or stay in 2nd. I almost got ran over by a garbage truck the other day as I was thinking I could enter an intersection at the same time. YIKES !!! I have been testing a self fix on this if I pull the "down shift" paddle shifter on steering wheel to force the transmission into 1st it seems to respond much better during these rolling stops. Give to a try.
Funz51 (06-27-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 10:08 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Vegas RDX
Seems the transmission is trying to figure out if your going to come to a complete stop so it can shift into 1st or stay in 2nd.
I think this is correct. Presumably, the transmission is programmed to avoid unnecessary down shifts because each shift produces "shift shock" ( rubber-banding effect ) and there are a whole lot of gears to shift through.

But I'd rather be a bobble-head than a big bug on the grill of a semi!

Last edited by Wander; 06-26-2019 at 10:11 PM.
Old 06-28-2019, 01:33 AM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh Lord, I just joined and am upset to see this, as my 2017 RDX lease is up soon and I was going to go for the 2019 or '20, FWD-Tech or A-Spec. I had a '19 as a loaner awhile back and was really disappointed that they're now a 4 -- certainly didn't seem as smooth as my '17. I didn't notice the problem you're describing but I did notice a lag upon acceleration, which I assumed was turbo lag. I also didn't like the putt-putt sound of the 4. However, having looked at a bunch of other alternatives, none of which met all my criteria, I was coming back to the RDX.

I had a 2008 BMW 328xi that did the same thing you're describing, even though it was a 6. I would go around a corner or curve, and it would kind of clunk and then hesitate when I accelerated. I felt like shooting myself in bumper-to-bumper traffic, with all the braking and clunking and hesitating. I was so unhappy, BMW let me out of my lease (it was not easy) and I got a 335i, which was a dream. So I am really not thrilled about the prospect of the same type of situation if I get a new RDX. I guess maybe I should go drive one again. Let me know if you've found any solution or are just living with it....?
Old 06-28-2019, 08:42 AM
Drifting

I have not personally experienced this in the way I drive. As a retired person, I no longer commute and no longer drive aggressively. But if you do, test this out on a test drive, and move on to another car if this is a problem. If you have a garage at home, I would seriously consider a Model 3 Tesla. That thing goes, and I mean like right effing now.
acuraada (07-02-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 10:18 AM
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Just experienced this after braking moderately hard from 40mph to 15mph because someone cut in front. Then I changed lanes and had to accelerate because that other lane was going quite a bit faster. Hit the gas and nothing for what seemed like the longest 1.5 seconds until the thrust came back online.

Second day of ownership. Is it too late to return for a full refund? j/k... but it's a bit of a blemish on an otherwise excellent car.

Brakes are better than I expected, as I really had to lay into the brake pedal to get the demonstrator car I test drove 8 months ago to brake sufficiently. They must have improved the brake calibration since then.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by catalytic_ca
Second day of ownership. Is it too late to return for a full refund? j/k... but it's a bit of a blemish on an otherwise excellent car.
Yes...once you drive it off the lot it's your's. This is a VERY rare situation and I would have it checked out. Mine has never done this and it does not occur with the majority.
Old 06-28-2019, 01:58 PM
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 161 Posts
I have no idea if that happens to my car because I don't drive like that. Like if someone cuts me off, I don't switch lanes to get around them, I just slow down and re-adjust while I flip them off for the next 25 miles.
Old 06-29-2019, 12:53 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by DriverOne
if someone cuts me off, I don't switch lanes to get around them, I just slow down and re-adjust while I flip them off for the next 25 miles.
Is your real name George Costanza?
Old 06-29-2019, 08:06 AM
Expanse me

Received 299 Likes on 226 Posts
I too have the hesitation issue. I have found that if I turn off the CMBS (by your left knee, lower left pushbutton, hold it for a few seconds until you see a yellow indicator in the upper right side of your dash), that the throttle delay is more tolerable. (BTW, I always have the RDM off). 'The Software' can only do so much. I believe it is the inputs from the cameras (and maybe processing of the data) and maybe even the bus. Some input is not responding fast enough, or the processor is too damn slow. The software can do alot to get around issues like this, but it cannot create miracles, and if the govt says you need the function as a priority, and it does not work so well, then you have a problem. Bitch Disclaimer- Listen, if the brakes were delayed 1.5 -2 seconds, you would have a safety recall, if your manual tranny did not engage but 1.5 - 2 secs after you engaged it, there would be a safety issue.. so why is this auto tranny issue not a safety issue? You have to be the squeeky wheel.I have reported this multiple times to Acura, I get responses, but no action yet, and I have reported to gov complaint site.
Acura response to my latest complaint- "This correspondence has been forwarded to a District Case Manager, who will contact you via telephone within 2 business days to discuss your concern.".... we will see how that conversation goes.... I'll let you know.
Old 06-29-2019, 08:35 AM
Banned

Is your real name George Costanza?
There's nothing wrong with flipping off people. If they're looking at you, they know they did something wrong or else they wouldn't be looking.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:37 PM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
There's nothing wrong with flipping off people. If they're looking at you, they know they did something wrong or else they wouldn't be looking.
Anger Management. 🥵
Old 07-01-2019, 11:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lend27
Anger Management. 🥵
Sure, and if it bothers the person being flipped off, they should take driving classes.
Old 07-02-2019, 12:19 AM
Drifting

Sure, and if it bothers the person being flipped off, they should take driving classes.
Driving instructors generally advise NOT escalating potential road rage situations.

An enraged driver is the most dangerous driver on the road. And it might be the guy staring back at you in the mirror.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:19 AM
Banned

Driving instructors generally advise NOT escalating potential road rage situations.

An enraged driver is the most dangerous driver on the road. And it might be the guy staring back at you in the mirror.
If the most enraged driver on the road is me and not the other guy, then I'm doing it wrong.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:51 AM
Drifting

Lots of people have guns these days. Flipping off angry people who have guns might not always work out for the best.
The following 4 users liked this post by Madd Dog:
AnnetteFL (07-02-2019), securityguy (07-02-2019), subin (07-02-2019), Wander (07-02-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 08:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
Lots of people have guns these days. Flipping off angry people who have guns might not always work out for the best.
Sure. But I always find it fascinating how people argue about stuff like this on the Internet. Now, if someone cuts me off and drives dangerously, then it's just pages and pages of people very boringly lecturing me to ignore it or who get angry weirdly that I react to it. Now, conversely, if I wrote that I enjoy cutting other people off in traffic, often getting close to hitting them, but I don't care because that's not my problem and if they do anything I'll kill them with a gun, what would you say? Would you say "wow, in that case, they better just keep their head down or else you'll show them!"?
securityguy (07-02-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 08:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 125 Posts
I love these side bar conversations.....
Old 07-02-2019, 08:22 AM
Banned

There's only so much you can talk about concerning cars, LOL.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:58 PM
Drifting

Sure. But I always find it fascinating how people argue about stuff like this on the Internet. Now, if someone cuts me off and drives dangerously, then it's just pages and pages of people very boringly lecturing me to ignore it or who get angry weirdly that I react to it. Now, conversely, if I wrote that I enjoy cutting other people off in traffic, often getting close to hitting them, but I don't care because that's not my problem and if they do anything I'll kill them with a gun, what would you say? Would you say "wow, in that case, they better just keep their head down or else you'll show them!"?
"Right" and "Wrong" is a fluid concept.

For instance, if you are in a small boat and you have right-of-way crossing paths with an oil tanker, it would be wrong to aggressively assert it. That's just the way it is.

But hey, it's your boat, so do what you want...

Quick Reply: massive hesitation on acceleration after braking is driving me NUTS !!