Just test drove Aspec and Advance

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 05:35 PM
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Just test drove Aspec and Advance

I just spent the better part of the afternoon at Jody Wilkinson Acura (SLC) test driving an Aspec and an Advanced. I’m torn with which way to proceed.

In an ideal world I’d be able to get the Pearl Blue Aspec with red interior to have all of the advanced features. I’m drawn visually to the red interior and blue paint along with the red gauges. I did find the Advance HUD to be a game changer though. That might be the best HUD I’ve seen and outweigh any visual appearance benefit from the Aspec.

I do like the performance red with parchment interior on the advance along with the wood inlays. They said they can black out all of the chrome bits for $550 to mimic the Aspec. The huge issue is the Aspec wheels run $3250 with labor and new tires. The existing wheels on the advance are terrible so I’d have to go with the 19’ black wheels for $2k or the 20’ aspec wheels for $3.25k.

From what I understand the Advance features that are offered over the Aspec are:

Heated Steering Wheel
360 camera
Rear Heated Seats
Touchelss tailgate lift
HUD
Powerfolding mirrors
Adaptive Dampers (didn’t really notice a big difference on crappy roads driving Advance in comfort over Aspec)

Anything else I’m missing on the Advance?

Essentially to get the Advance to look like the Aspec (aside from blue and interior color) I have to pay $2k extra for the package, $3k for the wheels, and $0.5k for chrome bits blacked out. Just so I can keep the HUD and other features above. Tough pill to swallow even though I love the HUD.

Other takeaways are the interior is fantastic, I for one loved the infotainment. The ELS sound system was great as is the pano sun roof. The handling is next level and the power train is good. I would say the turbo 4 sounds good but there is a clear 1 to 1.5 sec lag off the line. I would say it’s not turbo lag but if you floor if from a dead stop there is a clear delay/soft spot for the engine to engage. Overall rear leg room is great as is the trunk space and underneath storage.

Last edited by Rmsanger; 03-23-2019 at 05:41 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:41 PM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Rmsanger
I just spent the better part of the afternoon at Jody Wilkinson Acura (SLC) test driving an Aspec and an Advanced. I’m torn with which way to proceed.

In an ideal world I’d be able to get the Pearl Blue Aspec with red interior to have all of the advanced features. I’m drawn visually to the red interior and blue paint along with the red gauges. I did find the Advance HUD to be a game changer though. That might be the best HUD I’ve seen and outweigh any visual appearance benefit from the Aspec.

I do like the performance red with parchment interior on the advance along with the wood inlays. They said they can black out all of the chrome bits for $550 to mimic the Aspec. The huge issue is the Aspec wheels run $3250 with labor and new tires. The existing wheels on the advance are terrible so I’d have to go with the 19’ black wheels for $2k or the 20’ aspec wheels for $3.25k.

From what I understand the Advance features that are offered over the Aspec are:

Heated Steering Wheel
360 camera
Rear Heated Seats
Touchelss tailgate lift
HUD
Powerfolding mirrors
Adaptive Dampers (didn’t really notice a big difference on crappy roads driving Advance in comfort over Aspec)

Anything else I’m missing on the Advance?

Essentially to get the Advance to look like the Aspec (aside from blue and interior color) I have to pay $2k extra for the package, $3k for the wheels, and $0.5k for chrome bits blacked out. Just so I can keep the HUD and other features above. Tough pill to swallow even though I love the HUD.
where are u? No power folding mirrors in the USA (yes in Canada...but they dont call it the advance model there)

1 can buy rims elsewhere...take a look at Tirerack.....and I believe Curry Acura sells OEM ones for much less

Last edited by flames9; 03-23-2019 at 05:50 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:00 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
No spare tire on the A-Spec either....although one can be ordered (contrary to what my salesman told me).
Old 03-23-2019, 07:08 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
I have a keen interest in the adaptive dampers because i've been griping about not having them available on the A-spec.
I've noticed of all the people who have made this comparison directly, about half say the adaptive dampers are noticeably smoother, the other half says no difference.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:11 PM
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 188 Posts
I may be too optimistic but I've noticed that Acura's test fleet no longer uses the stock Advance wheels anymore and that they sub in the Glint Black 19" wheels. This was also the case when I went to the Vancouver Autoshow as well - Acura seems to be making an effort to not show the stock wheels anymore. Maybe this is a sign they're considering customer feedback and might be making a change for the 2020 model year. I wrote Acura Canada to beef about it - said I would consider the Platinum Elite (the Canadian Advance) if it had the 20" Diamond Cut wheels standard (or something that wasn't total rubbish) and they didn't promise anything but I hope they've been listening to customers.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:21 PM
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Burger Steak & Eggs
I have a keen interest in the adaptive dampers because i've been griping about not having them available on the A-spec.
I've noticed of all the people who have made this comparison directly, about half say the adaptive dampers are noticeably smoother, the other half says no difference.
It was very difficult to notice much of a difference at all between comfort on the Aspec and the same on the advanced. Maybe my expectations were too high but I thought that having true adaptive dampers and changing the drive mode from sport to comfort would be night and day. Needless to say it was not (for me) but I was more than satisfied with the suspension on the aspec. For me the HUD was the game changer that blew me away when I was expecting it to be the dampers.

The stock advanced wheels are a disaster and the chrome trim is not my favorite. But the advanced is still a great vehicle.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:00 AM
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Burger Steak & Eggs

I have to say that I found the active dampers smoother in the comfort mode but I haven't honestly properly tested things. I think the key is to find a rough road and travel it twice once in comfort and once in sport (or an advanced in comfort and an Apec in either.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:16 PM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
For me the HUD was the game changer that blew me away when I was expecting it to be the dampers.
Agree with you about the HUD. I test drove a RDX Advance and a MDX yesterday. I got used to the HUD pretty quick and liked it being there. Once I switched over to the MDX, I immediately missed the HUD being there. I could tell the difference in the different IDS modes with the damper settings but the visual impact of the HUD overlay on the road was a bigger deal to me. I definitely want the extra size of the MDX but only with the new tech of the RDX. This leaves me back at square one of hoping Acura launches a refreshed MDX soon. My dealer thinks it's happening for 2020MY but not sure when.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:52 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by dukeh62
No spare tire on the A-Spec either....although one can be ordered (contrary to what my salesman told me).
If you can get it. I've been waiting on my spare tire kit for 2 months. Apparently it's on back order.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:56 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
I think going to the 20" wheels is a mistake given the state of the roads here in the US (and Canada). While the 20" wheels may be visually appealing, they are far more susceptible to bends and sidewall damage. There are also far nicer wheels in 18 and 19 inch choices from other sources.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
I think there is almost a misconception or maybe incorrect expectation of what the adaptive dampeners do.

If they work anything like they did on my MDX Elite, you will have to go to a road with wavy undulations to notice the difference. Comfort and sport mode don't necessarily make the ride harsher or softer. What they actually do is change how the RDX behaves over uneven or wavy roads. I.e in comfort mode it will literally bounce like a old school pickup whereas in sport mode the body doesn't move nearly as much. So driving on a smooth or even pot hole filled road, you will not feel the difference. Only on wavy or uneven roads will you be able to tell.

All it does is control body motions and not necessarily ride comfort. How this translates to better handling is under hard cornering, in sport mode the vehicle will be less prone to body roll due to a stiffer suspension.

So think of the adaptive suspension as a body control aid and not a comfort aid.

Last edited by RDX10; 03-24-2019 at 03:11 PM.