ELS 3D Audio System

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 09:22 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I am more curious of how it compares to the other els systems. From what I remember, my 4G sounded better than my TLX now. I was so bummed about that. The last gen TSX/RDX wasn't as good either.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:29 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
Originally Posted by nanos
I am more curious of how it compares to the other els systems. From what I remember, my 4G sounded better than my TLX now. I was so bummed about that. The last gen TSX/RDX wasn't as good either.
My 14 RDX was my last car with the DVD-A ELS system. I replaced it with a 17 which had the DTS-CD only ELS system. I hated that version. It sounded like crap, especially with iPod's and stereo CDs. It's one of the main reasons I went a year early to get the 19. The 19 runs rings around that previous ELS system and sounds more like the DVD-A ELS systems. To me anyway.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:12 AM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by oblio98
In fact, I just modified one of those test files to be a 4.0 channel identification .flac file and tried it in the car. IT DOES NOT WORK!
The rear channel information goes to the front speakers, so for future reference, if you want 4 channel in the ELS 3D System, you need an empty center and LFE channel in your flac or wav file.
Thank you for the information!

Crazy. The common knowledge from 5.1 encoding, as far as I can recall, is that smart variety of decoders either direct LFE channel to the subwoofer if this channel is present (regardless of whether it is actually used or empty), or creates LFE channel from front (or all?) channels to balance the sound and ensure sufficient bass. So, generally, the idea was that if you do not have a center or an LFE channel, you should not create an empty one to not interfere with what decoder does... But in this case, it is not an option, and with the empty LFE channel, I assume, subwoofer is totally silent. Is this the case?

The way how I see it as a bigger picture, FLAC playbac is not listed in the spec of the vehicle and its implementation is kind of experimental, without enough effort put into it to make it work as it should, and without warranty that it would work. We can only hope that they will eventually start developing it as a specified, quality-controlled feature of the software.

What is your best known method of adding empty center and LFE channels? Do you do it in a sound editor, e.g., Adobe Audition or similar, or is there a simpler and faster way?

Last edited by AndyI; 08-18-2018 at 12:15 AM.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:50 AM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Internal Memory

It would have been nice to have the ability to upload my music library to the internal memory of the audio system. This would free up the single active usb port for apple car play. It would also eliminate the need for indexing the music files every time the car is started.
Old 08-18-2018, 05:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
Does anyone have the actual specifications/details of the new ELS system in the 2019 RDX. I can find the basic information in the press release and owners manual, but not much detail. Same with online. Maybe I am missing something.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:07 AM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by AndyI
I experienced that, too, a couple of times. My first guess would be that one needs a faster (USB 3.0) flash drive. I used an old 8GB one (from fear to forget it in the car when returning the loaner), which was USB 2.0 at best, if not USB 1.0. This does not seem to make a lot of sense, but it is the only parameter in our control.
I'm using a SanDisk DualDrive Ultra, model number SDDDC2-128G-G46, capable of "Delivering USB 3.1 speeds of up to 150MB/s" (per the manufacturer's marketing blurb on the Amazon page where I ordered it. This device is denoted as "Ultra USB 3.0" on the infotainment display, and it still exhibits the same misbehaviour.

If this does not help, it must be a software glitch or underpowered / underperforming processor in the navi/sound system running at its performance limit. Which, BTW, could also explain why it does not like 24/96...
I think this is spot-on, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's the former of those two possibilities.
Old 08-30-2018, 05:09 PM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
For anyone interested in 5.1 flac files who doesn't already own a bunch of DVD-A disks and/or doesn't want to go through the conversion effort, I came across this site last night:

https://www.onkyomusic.com/US/home

only legal download site I have seen that has high res (5.1) flac files for sale. Looks to be a much better selection than the limited DVD-A disks on Amazon.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:24 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
I am very disappointed in my ELS system.

It sounds so good with good quality stuff, that it makes XM sound like sh!t. Then, put in high quality stuff, and it is amazing. I want to like XM enough to keep it at the discount rate due to its ease of use, but it just sounds like crap compared, even, to bluetooth streamed music.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:30 PM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Is it possible to use the SiriusXM app through Carplay and eventually Android Auto? I wonder how the streaming app sounds compared to the built in radio. Are they both sh!t?
Old 08-30-2018, 07:43 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by MrJames
Is it possible to use the SiriusXM app through Carplay and eventually Android Auto? I wonder how the streaming app sounds compared to the built in radio. Are they both sh!t?
The HD radio sounds better, and streaming music sounds better. I am no expert, and there are those here far more knowledgeable than I, but I think it has to do with bitrates and compressions.

But I can actually hear the difference, which I could not in my wife’s EX-L Accord.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:45 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Originally Posted by DrWoo
For anyone interested in 5.1 flac files who doesn't already own a bunch of DVD-A disks and/or doesn't want to go through the conversion effort, I came across this site last night:

https://www.onkyomusic.com/US/home

only legal download site I have seen that has high res (5.1) flac files for sale. Looks to be a much better selection than the limited DVD-A disks on Amazon.
Um, no. Yes, those are HiRez .flac files for sale, but they are stereo (2.0), just like HDTracks and ProStudioMasters.

There are a few classical places that sell 5.1 downloads, but as far as I know, there are no known sites that legally sell 5.1 pop/rock/hiphop/modern music. Unfortunately.
Old 08-30-2018, 09:05 PM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by oblio98
Um, no. Yes, those are HiRez .flac files for sale, but they are stereo (2.0), just like HDTracks and ProStudioMasters.

There are a few classical places that sell 5.1 downloads, but as far as I know, there are no known sites that legally sell 5.1 pop/rock/hiphop/modern music. Unfortunately.
You are correct, my mistake. I read the following https://www.cnet.com/news/onkyo-to-o...sic-downloads/ about this site late last night, and while is was expected to offer 5.1 channel downloads, I'm not seeing any as I look through it today.
Old 08-30-2018, 09:18 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Originally Posted by DrWoo
You are correct, my mistake. I read the following https://www.cnet.com/news/onkyo-to-o...sic-downloads/ about this site late last night, and while is was expected to offer 5.1 channel downloads, I'm not seeing any as I look through it today.
No worries. In fact, I got all fired up when I read your post and went to their site to check it out. They do have many titles listed that were available on DVD-A and SACD ten/fifteen years ago, so I looked extra hard but did not see any. Maybe they will come through.

That would be great if they did.
Old 08-30-2018, 09:28 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Hey Dr. Woo. I just noticed that the article you posted the link for was from 2012!!! Oh well.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:31 AM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog

It sounds so good with good quality stuff, that it makes XM sound like sh!t. Then, put in high quality stuff, and it is amazing. I want to like XM enough to keep it at the discount rate due to its ease of use, but it just sounds like crap compared, even, to bluetooth streamed music.
Satellite radio is super compressed to squeeze in more channels causing even talk shows sound worse than regular AM radio. When Sirius and XM first launched, sound quality was on par with FM radio. Now it is not as good as a live band thru a brick wall. The ELS system is not at fault for satellite sounding bad. The solution would be to go back to the 70s and 80s where car manufacturers purposely degraded OEM FM performance to AM levels to keep people from complaining that AM didn't sound as good as FM.
Old 08-31-2018, 01:01 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog

That's because XM/Sirius sucks. It has nothing to do with the sound system.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:40 AM
2013 RDX tech Amber

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Has anyone seen the audio setting that says it helps with the sound of lower bit rate compressed audio like Sirius XM. I have turned it on and off but can't tell a difference.