Could not resist trolling the Q5 crowd over at AudiWorld

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 02:58 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 37tzee
I actually read your post on that forum. What I stated in my post was that we will be cross shopping the all-new 2019 Q3 to the 2019 RDX. I have no doubt that a new gen RDX is nicer than the current (five year-old) Q3.

Yes, I've driven the current gen Q3; it's slow with a not too impressive interior. I bought a Mercedes GLA back in 2015 after seriously considering a Q3. I do love the proportions of the current Q3 exterior; way better than a Q5 in my opinion.

As I stated above, all of this is subjective. What is interesting are the comments about the Subaru owners' forum and some of the responses here. I respect your purchase decisions; but I don't necessarily have to agree with the "why" part of it.

Also as stated above, I'm pushing for the RDX, but my wife is intrigued by the 2019 Q3. From what I have seen of the interior, I like the Q3 design better. I've got the virtual cockpit in my '18 TT RS and love the fact that there is no central screen. The one on the RDX follows the German example - including the new A4/5 and Q5 - by mounting a tablet on the dashboard. That's one of my wife's greatest dislikes about the RDX, and has been mentioned in many threads here.

We'll see where all of this leads to, but I think it will be an RDX. I'm just going to let the first year beta testing conclude.
No worries here, glad you clarified. Your initial post didn’t mention the ‘19 Q3, only just the Q3. Which got me going, since I’m quite familiar with the current model’s deficiencies. Will be interesting to see if the ‘19 Q3 cargo space is improved, as there just isn’t any room behind the second row now due to the angled rear glass.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:12 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by acuraada

Er... I guess you liking the design doesn’t mean it is better. And design is more than just placement of buttons and screen, material matters. Sorry for the basic assumption of English language. I guess you can like inferior quality of a design....

look, there is no doubt Audi makes nice cars but when you start comparing apple to oranges then it gets attentions

I honestly don't understand what you are trying to say here, nor what your problem is with what I've said. "I guess you like inferior quality of a design..." What does that even mean?

Several people have commented on their lack of "enthusiasm" for the nav screen location, shifter, and large knob in the center of the dash. My wife happens to agree; I don't necessarily.

Considering that the 2019 Q3 hasn't even been introduced in the US, I'm not sure how you can pass judgement on the materials used in its construction. If my '18 Audi is any indicator, I think the interior will be a great one. Right now, the only comparison is by pictures and videos.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 880 Likes on 673 Posts
I honestly don't understand what you are trying to say here, nor what your problem is with what I've said. "I guess you like inferior quality of a design..." What does that even mean?

Several people have commented on their lack of "enthusiasm" for the nav screen location, shifter, and large knob in the center of the dash. My wife happens to agree; I don't necessarily.

Considering that the 2019 Q3 hasn't even been introduced in the US, I'm not sure how you can pass judgement on the materials used in its construction. If my '18 Audi is any indicator, I think the interior will be a great one. Right now, the only comparison is by pictures and videos.
Do you have any idea what platform/drivetrain will be in the new Q3? From what I have seen so far, I REALLY like what I see. I haven't done enough reading, so I'm not sure if they also stated dimensions either yet?
Old 08-07-2018, 03:54 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by RDX10
Do you have any idea what platform/drivetrain will be in the new Q3? From what I have seen so far, I REALLY like what I see. I haven't done enough reading, so I'm not sure if they also stated dimensions either yet?
No idea on what drivetrain will be offered in US. It has grown marginally in all dimensions, but will still be smaller than an RDX which isn't a real problem for just my wife and me.

As attractive as it looks to be, I still think we will end up getting an RDX. My wife shocked me when she said she liked the black wheels!

Old 08-07-2018, 04:22 PM
Suzuka Master

No idea on what drivetrain will be offered in US. It has grown marginally in all dimensions, but will still be smaller than an RDX which isn't a real problem for just my wife and me.

As attractive as it looks to be, I still think we will end up getting an RDX. My wife shocked me when she said she liked the black wheels!
Yeah I think it will be smaller than the RDX but maybe not by a lot. The new Tiguan is like 186 inches long so not sure the Q3 will grow that much.

RDX won't be a bad choice at all, and good for you for waiting till the beta testing is over. I definitely would too. Hey if she says she likes it, ROLL WITH IT!! Slowly but surely she'll start liking mods herself haha. When I get married I really hope my wife will be into cars and let me get away with mods.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:50 AM
Advanced

Yeah I think it will be smaller than the RDX but maybe not by a lot. The new Tiguan is like 186 inches long so not sure the Q3 will grow that much.

RDX won't be a bad choice at all, and good for you for waiting till the beta testing is over. I definitely would too. Hey if she says she likes it, ROLL WITH IT!! Slowly but surely she'll start liking mods herself haha. When I get married I really hope my wife will be into cars and let me get away with mods.
I think we will end up with the RDX and that works for me. She's just slow to come around sometimes. She's a "car person", just has been less enthused as the years have rolled by. We've been married 36 years!

When we got married in 1982, she had an '80 RX-7 and I had an '81 Scirroco. From there until kids started showing up, we had an '83 RX-7, '85 Supra, '89 Integra, '90 MR2. She's driving around in my brand new Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4 until she decides on what she wants in a new SUV/CUV. My guess is it will be a White A-Spec. Stay tuned.....
Old 08-08-2018, 04:09 PM
Suzuka Master

I think we will end up with the RDX and that works for me. She's just slow to come around sometimes. She's a "car person", just has been less enthused as the years have rolled by. We've been married 36 years!

When we got married in 1982, she had an '80 RX-7 and I had an '81 Scirroco. From there until kids started showing up, we had an '83 RX-7, '85 Supra, '89 Integra, '90 MR2. She's driving around in my brand new Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4 until she decides on what she wants in a new SUV/CUV. My guess is it will be a White A-Spec. Stay tuned.....
For some reason I was under the impression that you were much younger haha, but nothing wrong with that at all. That's quite a sweet list of cars! That's awesome.

I was a VAG fanboy up until recently. You can tell that dieselgate has really hurt them because the interior quality of recent VW products is absolutely atrocious. The tiguan and atlas are just abysmal on the inside. This doesn't translate to audi quite as sharply but I definitely see some evidence of cost cutting. Never thought I'd see the day Audi would use fake exhaust tips on any of their vehicles.

So IMO the RDX would be the better buy right now, especially for the price. Both ways, let us know how you get on.
The following users liked this post:
37tzee (08-08-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 04:31 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Never thought I'd see the day Audi would use fake exhaust tips on any of their vehicles.
What? The R8 is perhaps the most notorious example of such a thing.

That said, the Q5 interior is really disappointing, at least compared to the Macan. The screen looks really tacked on and doesn't flow at all.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Costco

What? The R8 is perhaps the most notorious example of such a thing.

That said, the Q5 interior is really disappointing, at least compared to the Macan. The screen looks really tacked on and doesn't flow at all.
Whuh?! Really?! I had literally no ides the R8 used fake tips. To be honest I don't pay attention to higher end cars because I am at a stage in my life where I can't afford them yet so don't waste time reading about them.

The Q5 interior has this sort of understated clean design that I think is going to age very very well and IMO it's so inoffensive that it maybe comes off as slightly boring. Overall quality was above average but did not in any way stand out. The 7 speed DCT was awful for a car costing that much, super herky jerky, rough. A few times it banged so hard I thought something hit me. Something I did find weird was the digital cockpit was causing me to have eye strain. After driving it my eyes would be all strained and slightly buzzy feeling.

Lastly, my one MAJOR issue with any audi I have ever been in or drove is that the 12 way seats never seem to adjust enough to angle the seat bottom the way I like. They don't let you move the front of the seat without the whole seat moving and it doesn't raise enough. My Touaregs also had 12 way seats and never had that issue at all which is surprising.