Check your engine oil level guys

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 07:19 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
@Jopa Did your dealer ever have any comment on your oil analysis?
Old 02-02-2019, 03:22 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dukeh62
@Jopa Did your dealer ever have any comment on your oil analysis?
Just read my last reply, nothing really changed except that now I’m positive I’ll be done with this car after lease is up.
I checked my oil level today, so after 1.8K mi since last change it did not rise to much (around 1/8” on dipstick), and still below max mark. I’m sure it will serve me well until end of the lease.

Old 02-02-2019, 07:06 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
spent quite a bit of time researching the CR-V as a possible replacement for my wife's 2013 RDX I am a little leery of buying the 1st year of a new model (got lucky with the RDX I guess). so the CR-V might have been a viable alternative. Just happened across this thread. As I read through it, I saw a running set of issues with gas in the oil sump that are very similar to the problems that Honda has been having in the turbo they are using in the CR-V. The thread took a while to get there, but now seems to be understanding the issue along the lines of the CR-V related issue. I

The CR-V research uncovered a terrible issue with the CR-V. The design is allowing gas to get into the sump on the turbo 4. The problem manifests when shorter trips are taken because the engine doesn't get hot enough to burn off all of the gas (sorry for the non-technical explanation). Colder cllmes are worse. The problem was so bad that China made Honda stop selling the CR-V for awhile. That took the CR-V of the table. I have been wondering if this would find it's way to the turbo 4 in the RDX.

The gist of it seems to be that Honda has had this issue on the table for a couple of years now. Their disappointing response has been to turn the music up and dance faster rather than actually FIX the problem. Their recently announced "solution/fix" looks like it is tepid and ineffective based on what I am reading. Pretty much a band aid and louder music and even faster dancing. Change the oil more often and drive further n your trips out. Really? This is going to cost them a really big pile of money before it's over.

I haven't done a compare between the Honda and Acura turbo 4s engineering, but economics might suggest the two are much more similar in design than different because of cost of making two unique engines versus using one design and tweaking it into two versions. For me, the RDX is now off the table as well since this thread points to a probable same issue,

Searching google on "CR-V gas in oil" yields a trove of information. For an up close view, add the word "forum" to the search. Hear from the owners. Concentrating on the last 60 days or so shows the Honda fix rolling out and the owners explaining that it doesn't fix the problem.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:12 PM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
Yeah its kind of shocking that some buyers of the RDX want people to close their eyes and plug their ears regarding the RDX having oil dilution issues since Acura hasn't said it's a problem yet. It's pretty clear they told Honda buyers the engine was operating as designed too until China issue stop sales and force them to do something. Acura is much smaller and there are much fewer buyers so we don't necessarily make enough noise to get fixes. Half the time it takes a class action lawsuit for them to fix issues. Honda just reports disappointing profits and attributed some of it to having to fix CRVs and offer incentives on sedans. They aren't in a hurry to fix anyones cars and incur costs if people are willing to wait until their lease is over or they just get frustrated and sell the car. Less people to cash in on those fixes.

Japanese automaker Honda Motor Co.'s fiscal third-quarter profit fell 71 percent from a year earlier as growing incentives, an unfavorable exchange rate and flat vehicle sales offset gains from cost cuts, the company said.
https://www.heraldextra.com/business...878c12099.html
Old 02-02-2019, 10:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 323 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally Posted by Ray3
spent quite a bit of time researching the CR-V as a possible replacement for my wife's 2013 RDX I am a little leery of buying the 1st year of a new model (got lucky with the RDX I guess). so the CR-V might have been a viable alternative. Just happened across this thread. As I read through it, I saw a running set of issues with gas in the oil sump that are very similar to the problems that Honda has been having in the turbo they are using in the CR-V. The thread took a while to get there, but now seems to be understanding the issue along the lines of the CR-V related issue. I

The CR-V research uncovered a terrible issue with the CR-V. The design is allowing gas to get into the sump on the turbo 4. The problem manifests when shorter trips are taken because the engine doesn't get hot enough to burn off all of the gas (sorry for the non-technical explanation). Colder cllmes are worse. The problem was so bad that China made Honda stop selling the CR-V for awhile. That took the CR-V of the table. I have been wondering if this would find it's way to the turbo 4 in the RDX.

The gist of it seems to be that Honda has had this issue on the table for a couple of years now. Their disappointing response has been to turn the music up and dance faster rather than actually FIX the problem. Their recently announced "solution/fix" looks like it is tepid and ineffective based on what I am reading. Pretty much a band aid and louder music and even faster dancing. Change the oil more often and drive further n your trips out. Really? This is going to cost them a really big pile of money before it's over.

I haven't done a compare between the Honda and Acura turbo 4s engineering, but economics might suggest the two are much more similar in design than different because of cost of making two unique engines versus using one design and tweaking it into two versions. For me, the RDX is now off the table as well since this thread points to a probable same issue,

Searching google on "CR-V gas in oil" yields a trove of information. For an up close view, add the word "forum" to the search. Hear from the owners. Concentrating on the last 60 days or so shows the Honda fix rolling out and the owners explaining that it doesn't fix the problem.
this band aid of a fix your talking about seems to be a pretty well done fix. My fiancé has a 2018 CRV that was having oil dilution and would take forever to heat up. There are limited states they released the fix in, but in Minnesota we got it and they replaced the climate control unit and a the engine computer was updated and now the car warms up extremely fast, no problems with it generating heat even when it was -29f out, before you could drive the car for 30 minutes on a winter day and still not be fully warmed up, could take 15 minutes to even register the engine temp gauge of anything, now it’s warmed fully up within 5-10 minutes. I have yet to check the oil level since but this fix seems to have taken care of our problems. Before it would also take forever to get hot air from the car, now it’s very fast. Part of the problem is the engine temp not getting up fast enough and when it’s not up to temp you typically run rich, so getting up to temp as fast is possible is optimal
Old 02-03-2019, 05:46 AM
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
My other car is a Honda Clarity PHEV. In normal driving with adequate battery charge the 1.5L emgine doesn’t run at all. When it does turn on, e.g. under heavy acceleration, it stays on for about 5 minutes in order to reach full operating temperature before going back into EV mode.

This would appear to be an indication of how long a minimum “trip” needs to be for good engine health, in Honda’s judgement.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:54 AM
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
New member here, getting an AWD/A-Spec in a few days.

Here's my experience with fuel dilution in DI turbocharged engines:

I have a 2013 GTI and an 2014 Forester XT (trading it in). I am doing oil analyses in both cars from day 1, and the only times I saw fuel in the oil were the times I didn't drive the cars enough before I changed/sampled the oil. Living in SW-Va, this meant 15-20 min highway driving. When I sampled the oil without a 15min highway driving, I had fuel in my oil. When I did the 15min drive and then sampled, I had zero fuel in the oil. The GTI and Forester forums have many many oil analyses posted, and the theme is identical: fuel does pass in the oil, until the engine is fully warmed up, and that takes a good 15min highway driving.

In other words, if you do short trips, there's gonna be fuel in the oil, which will be burned/used, if you keep driving. I doubt any dealership can fix the inherent characteristics of DI, turbo charged engines. That being said, both of my cars are to around 70K miles and there is no evidence of any premature engine wear in the oil analysis and oil consumption.

Cheers,
The following 3 users liked this post by dervi98:
Jopa (02-19-2019), quantum7 (02-19-2019), subin (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 01:05 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by yeahkkyle
I got my result back from Blackstone Laboratories. Other than the slightly higher fuel at 2.5% everything seems okay. I'm guessing the 75% short trips doesn't help and the car doesn't warm up that quick. I will be keeping an eye on oil level and will be getting another analysis when I do the next oil change.

Blackstone uses an estimate for fuel dilution and it’s grossly inaccurate and can not be trusted. Your flash point was 335F and viscosity was well below grade - my guess is you had a lot more fuel in there than 2.5%.

If you want to know how much fuel is in your oil use anyone other than Blackstone.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:01 AM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by PWMDMD

Blackstone uses an estimate for fuel dilution and it’s grossly inaccurate and can not be trusted. Your flash point was 335F and viscosity was well below grade - my guess is you had a lot more fuel in there than 2.5%.

If you want to know how much fuel is in your oil use anyone other than Blackstone.
Who would you recommend/suggest for accuracy not just for fuel dilution but for overall analysis?
Old 04-15-2019, 09:45 AM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by bobby2478
Who would you recommend/suggest for accuracy not just for fuel dilution but for overall analysis?
Any commercially available lab other than Blackstone...just google.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:59 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dereileak

this band aid of a fix your talking about seems to be a pretty well done fix. My fiancé has a 2018 CRV that was having oil dilution and would take forever to heat up. There are limited states they released the fix in, but in Minnesota we got it and they replaced the climate control unit and a the engine computer was updated and now the car warms up extremely fast, no problems with it generating heat even when it was -29f out, before you could drive the car for 30 minutes on a winter day and still not be fully warmed up, could take 15 minutes to even register the engine temp gauge of anything, now it’s warmed fully up within 5-10 minutes. I have yet to check the oil level since but this fix seems to have taken care of our problems. Before it would also take forever to get hot air from the car, now it’s very fast. Part of the problem is the engine temp not getting up fast enough and when it’s not up to temp you typically run rich, so getting up to temp as fast is possible is optimal
Yup, mother in law has a 18 crv and had software fix done. no word yet on if it actually fixes the problem. Here is the consumer reports article posted a few months ago. Just wondering, is this the same engine as whats in the rdx 19' ???
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...rollout-plans/
Old 04-22-2019, 12:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by Addonis
Yup, mother in law has a 18 crv and had software fix done. no word yet on if it actually fixes the problem. Here is the consumer reports article posted a few months ago. Just wondering, is this the same engine as whats in the rdx 19' ???
Not the same engine as what's in a CRV
Old 04-22-2019, 12:41 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
I traded in my '18 CR-V Touring with 15,500 miles for the '19 RDX. When I read about the potential for oil dilution in this engine, I became stressed about it and checked my oil level obsessively for a couple of months, and never once had any increase in level or gas smell. But, there are some who seem to have it, and report (again obsessively) multiple times a day on the CR-V forum. As securityguy correctly said, the CR-V and RDX are different engines.

I've checked the oil level in the RDX a few times, with no obvious issues.
The following users liked this post:
securityguy (04-22-2019)
Old 07-24-2020, 10:43 AM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by russianDude
Yeah, forget the smell test.... used oil has all kinds of smells, need to monitor oil level or do science like sending oil for UOA. Small gas dilution is acceptable
I had a 1990 Legend L It never smelled like a gas tank that is the issue with the oil delusion problem. It has too much gas in it.
Old 07-24-2020, 11:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 696 Likes on 538 Posts
Originally Posted by Midi Man
I had a 1990 Legend L It never smelled like a gas tank that is the issue with the oil delusion problem. It has too much gas in it.
TDI engines will have more fuel dilution than classical engines, as long as its under acceptable limit it should be ok.
Old 07-24-2020, 12:47 PM
Instructor

TDI engines will have more fuel dilution than classical engines, as long as its under acceptable limit it should be ok.
I am not buying it. remember that the oil is 0 weight in the new cars and any delusion is not good for the life of the engine.
Old 07-24-2020, 12:54 PM
Suzuka Master

I am not buying it. remember that the oil is 0 weight in the new cars and any delusion is not good for the life of the engine.
Doesn't this happen to all modern TDI engines when they are driven for short distances? My oil does not smell like gasoline, but I dont make short trips either
Old 07-24-2020, 01:08 PM
Drifting

You are delusional. Sorry, I had to comment. I think you mean "dilution" not delusion. All in good fun....we all need to have a bit of fun now.
Old 07-24-2020, 08:15 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
You are delusional. Sorry, I had to comment. I think you mean "dilution" not delusion. All in good fun....we all need to have a bit of fun now.
Not mad might be a typo thanks for the laugh at my expense.
Old 07-24-2020, 10:56 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
No, it's 0W-20. That means it behaves like a 0 weight at low temperature and like a 20 weight at high temperature. Buy what you like, but don't expect to find "0 weight" engine oil. That's just delusional. ( I know, I just couldn't resist... ).
Old 07-24-2020, 11:35 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,420 Likes on 1,871 Posts
Doesn't this happen to all modern TDI engines when they are driven for short distances? My oil does not smell like gasoline, but I dont make short trips either
I think you mean TGDI. TDI is VW's turbo-diesel engines.

Last edited by fiatlux; 07-24-2020 at 11:39 PM.
Old 07-24-2020, 11:57 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by fiatlux
I think you mean TGDI. TDI is VW's turbo-diesel engines.
Or we could stop being so lazy and just type out "turbocharged gasoline direct injection engine".

And FWIW ( for what it's worth ), from my casual reading on the subject, this engine design does increase the risk of fuel dilution of the engine oil. Here's one randomly ( Google ) selected article on the subject:

https://www.jstor.org/stable/26278010?seq=1
Old 07-25-2020, 12:21 AM
Drifting

Not mad might be a typo thanks for the laugh at my expense.
Thanks for being a good sport! I always chalk it up to auto spell correct! LOL
Old 07-25-2020, 06:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Yes, turbo direct injection, and obviously its not diesel 😀 I’ve seen people abbreviating it as DI for direct injection, and why not add T for turbo 😀
Old 07-25-2020, 06:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Wander
Or we could stop being so lazy and just type out "turbocharged gasoline direct injection engine".

And FWIW ( for what it's worth ), from my casual reading on the subject, this engine design does increase the risk of fuel dilution of the engine oil. Here's one randomly ( Google ) selected article on the subject:

https://www.jstor.org/stable/26278010?seq=1

yep, there is something inherent in all designs of TGDI, not sure if its entirely Honda fault. So when people compare with pre-DI designs, its two different things. I am not a fan of DI, the design seems silly that is prone to carbon build up. But all new cars are DI, so you pretty much have no choice
Old 07-25-2020, 07:15 AM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

Received 147 Likes on 119 Posts
ATTENTION! THIS IS THE GRAMMER POLICE!

We recieved a alert of multiple accurances of improper word usage in the discussion. We our officially requesting that you hit the breaks on this behaviour. While we seen worse, this is pretty bad. We worn you, these dilutional actions must knot continue.

Sincerly,
The Grammer Police

(My speel-checker just bursted into flames)
The following 3 users liked this post by DJA123:
JB in AZ (07-25-2020), Midwestuser1 (07-25-2020), Wander (07-25-2020)
Old 07-25-2020, 08:43 AM
Instructor

Thanks for being a good sport! I always chalk it up to auto spell correct! LOL
Heck with all thats going on these days. We all need a good laugh.
The following 3 users liked this post by Midi Man:
JB in AZ (07-25-2020), Midwestuser1 (07-25-2020), Wander (07-25-2020)
Old 07-25-2020, 09:32 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DJA123

We recieved a alert of multiple accurances of improper word usage in the discussion. We our officially requesting that you hit the breaks on this behaviour. While we seen worse, this is pretty bad. We worn you, these dilutional actions must knot continue.

Sincerly,
The Grammer Police

(My speel-checker just bursted into flames)
I guess my spell check was delusional. But my car is having oil dilution. LOL Peace and be safe.
Old 07-25-2020, 05:20 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
I have not had any issues. Nor did I have issues in my prior car that was also a turbo direct injection engine.

I always make sure to regularly run the car up to full operating temperature, and at least once a week, usually more, do so for a good hour. If I know my car spent much of the week on short trips, out it goes for a run at full temperature.
Old 07-25-2020, 05:53 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Glad to see some humor on the internet. Way too many angry and or sensitive people now a days.
Old 07-25-2020, 06:22 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,420 Likes on 1,871 Posts
Originally Posted by gooberman
glad to see some humor on the internet. Way too many angry and or sensitive people now a days.
who are you calling sensitive? I'll be as angry and sensitive as i want! It's muh rights!
Old 07-25-2020, 07:48 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by DJA123
Kelsey Grammer? What did he do now?
Old 07-25-2020, 09:45 PM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

Received 147 Likes on 119 Posts
Ah, you found one...
Old 07-26-2020, 08:21 AM
Instructor

No, it's 0W-20. That means it behaves like a 0 weight at low temperature and like a 20 weight at high temperature. Buy what you like, but don't expect to find "0 weight" engine oil. That's just delusional. ( I know, I just couldn't resist... ).
yes 0 weight really scary when that is diluted.
Old 07-26-2020, 10:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Maybe Honda is not too blame for this? Maybe its something unique to TGDI engines and short trips?
i got 7300 miles on original oil, and oil level is perfectly at full mark. 30% oil life left!
Old 07-26-2020, 12:38 PM
Drifting

His daughter was injured in a "knife slashing" incident in a restaurant yesterday.... Very sad world we live in at the moment.
Old 07-26-2020, 03:25 PM
Instructor

Maybe Honda is not too blame for this? Maybe its something unique to TGDI engines and short trips?
i got 7300 miles on original oil, and oil level is perfectly at full mark. 30% oil life left!
Kool. I drive very short trips in the city and a cold climate that might be the issue for me like the CRV.
Old 07-26-2020, 03:26 PM
Instructor

His daughter was injured in a "knife slashing" incident in a restaurant yesterday.... Very sad world we live in at the moment.
Sorry to hear about that I hope you are ok and she recovers fast. There was a knife slashing here in the city a day ago.
Old 07-26-2020, 04:22 PM
Drifting

Sorry to hear about that I hope you are ok and she recovers fast. There was a knife slashing here in the city a day ago.
Wasn't ME or MY daughter, I was referring to Kelsey Grammer's daughter, in NYC..
Old 07-26-2020, 05:11 PM
Instructor

Wasn't ME or MY daughter, I was referring to Kelsey Grammer's daughter, in NYC..
That is the one I was talking about also here in the city. Glad it wasn't you but hopefully she will get better sooner.
Crazy world for sure we are living in.

Quick Reply: Check your engine oil level guys