Check your engine oil level guys

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 03:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 703 Likes on 545 Posts
Originally Posted by Jopa

I think it is gas because it has very strong gas smell that I never experienced before from a used oil, after I draine it in the pan. And don’t know what kind of other moisture could possibly be in it, to increase the total drained amount by 20-25 oz more than the amount I pored in when I changed the oil last time roughly 3.9K mi ago. I’m not a chemist, but I think if it was water from condensation, it would probably evaporate or separate from oil in the draining pan.

Moisture could build up if PVC not working properly or during many short trips. Oil typically has little creamy color when that happens. I’d send that oil for analysis, they will check for fuel dilution percentage. Something to keep ab eye for sure, maybe something not functioning properly
Old 11-25-2018, 03:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Any funky white sludge under your oil cap? Thats another sign for moisture build up. Whatever you have does not sound normal, but would be intresting to confirm for sure if its moisture vs gas
Old 11-25-2018, 04:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
I was really hoping for something a bit more (actually a lot more) authoritative than a user posting on a forum similar to AZ - and posting speculation at that. This is exactly how internet myths begin.
So speculation is that when these engines sense spark knock (not LSPI, which is a different phenomenon) the response is to enrich the fuel/air mixture instead of retarding engine timing. A richer mixture in turn would lead to more fuel dilution. 91/93 octane would reduce the number of spark knock events.

Old 11-25-2018, 04:36 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wish there was something more definitive too. The bottom line for me is that the issue seems rare on the accord 2.0t engine that has been out for longer than the RDX and that is the same engine. Additionally it is anecdotal, but I couldn't find a post anywhere for anyone using higher octane fuel having the issue. The engine is under warranty so I'm not sweating it.

Originally Posted by MI-RDX
I was really hoping for something a bit more (actually a lot more) authoritative than a user posting on a forum similar to AZ - and posting speculation at that. This is exactly how internet myths begin.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:01 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by russianDude
Any funky white sludge under your oil cap? Thats another sign for moisture build up. Whatever you have does not sound normal, but would be intresting to confirm for sure if its moisture vs gas
I know what you mean about the cap, no there is nothing on it.
I just ordered an oil analysis kit from Blackstone-lab.com and hopefully have some results in a few weeks.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gtclav
I wish there was something more definitive too....
From the Acura press release ( https://www.acura.com/news-and-press...-en#powertrain ) -

Direct Ignition and Detonation/Knock Control
The RDX's Electronic Control Unit (ECU) monitors engine functions to determine the best ignition spark timing. An engine block-mounted acoustic detonation/knock sensor "listens" to the engine, and based on this input, the ECU can retard the ignition timing to prevent potentially damaging detonation...
Shows how much value to place on the rumor mongering and speculation over on the BTOG forum - or any other forum for that matter.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:27 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Way too much reading in here, so I don’t know if it was brought up already, but, I don’t see anything wrong with your oil level. It’s between the max and min lines. You’re safe.

You’re assuming that the engine oil was filled right to the top when you bought the car. Truth be told, this isn’t necessry (hence the minimum oil level line). To me, it looks like you were more or less in the middle of the dipstick. Nothing wrong with that.

Now, if the oil level was full and is down that much... that’d be a bit of a concern. Does the engine just naturally take/eat oil, or was it simply under filled from the factory? Either way, I highly suspect *zero* damage has occurred to your engine.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:17 PM
Intermediate

This was my oil level when I checked it a couple days ago. (Believe me I know how to check the oil level) I changed oil and filter roughly 4 months/4K miles ago, and I left it at just below the MAX mark. So, all this extra must be from un burned fuel diluding the oil.

This is after I changed the oil and filter now, and I left it a little lower than I normally would, so I can have better readings since I’m planning to keep checking it weekly.
Originally Posted by TacoBello
Way too much reading in here, so I don’t know if it was brought up already, but, I don’t see anything wrong with your oil level. It’s between the max and min lines. You’re safe.

You’re assuming that the engine oil was filled right to the top when you bought the car. Truth be told, this isn’t necessry (hence the minimum oil level line). To me, it looks like you were more or less in the middle of the dipstick. Nothing wrong with that.

Now, if the oil level was full and is down that much... that’d be a bit of a concern. Does the engine just naturally take/eat oil, or was it simply under filled from the factory? Either way, I highly suspect *zero* damage has occurred to your engine.
My photos may be a little confusing. Here’s a little more explanation.

Last edited by Jopa; 11-26-2018 at 05:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Addonis (04-22-2019)
Old 11-26-2018, 06:30 PM
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
Just checked my oil after 1,000 miles. It was full but not above full. But--it definitely smells of gasoline. There's a first time for everything I guess and this is a first for me.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:03 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Mine smells of gasoline, too. Dropped it at the dealer this morning and mentioned it.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:28 PM
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts
Interesting read.

https://www.spectrosci.com/product/q...4d104badbb2999

Also an informative YouTube video

Last edited by Midwestuser1; 11-26-2018 at 09:39 PM.
ssacuraho (11-27-2018)
Old 11-26-2018, 09:49 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Midwestuser1
The video guy likes to be a bit corny at times but if you listen to the entire video he makes a lot of great points.
Jopa (11-26-2018)
Old 11-27-2018, 05:03 AM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
Looks like the 1.5L problem crept up on the 2.0L. Hopefully Acura applies a similar fix quickly.
http://www.hondaproblems.com/oil-dilution/

Last edited by skarface; 11-27-2018 at 05:05 AM.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by skarface
Looks like the 1.5L problem crept up on the 2.0L. Hopefully Acura applies a similar fix quickly.
Oil Dilution in Honda's 1.5L Engine - Honda Problems
I see nothing in that link that mentions the 2.0L - must be well hidden. Can you point it out?
Old 11-27-2018, 10:33 AM
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Shortly after buying my 2019 RDX Advance, I read some posts regarding the oil dilution issues in the 1.5T engine. I checked my oil level with about 25 miles on the RDX and it was at the full mark, but already smelled a bit like gasoline. Have been checking the oil level for several months and have not seen any change (800 miles now). I had a 2008 RDX Turbo (Port Injected) and never noticed any issues with oil level over 50K miles or gas odor when changing oil.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:25 PM
Racer

Here is my take on this:
Unless one believes that the guy in the YouTube video is a car manufacturers schill this oil dilution thing is “known” by the engine designers of Direct enjection engines. Thus they’ve likely taken additional steps to account for this with the design, type of oil requirements, oil changes via the maintenance minder etc. Since the car still comes with the same warranties (main car & powertrain warranties) I’m not worried about the engine having issues due to some oil dilution.
The only scenario I’d keep an eye on is the extreme oil dilution where the oil levels rise enough to warrant concern (which unfortunately we don’t have information on the exact amount of overage to watch for) and then change the oil a little more often. This seems most likely to affect the drivers that take a lot of short trips from the reading I’ve done as that would contribute to the most fuel dilution in the oil.
Again I am not that alarmed by this happening as it’s known to happen in most DI engines to some extent.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by romer
Just checked my oil after 1,000 miles. It was full but not above full. But--it definitely smells of gasoline. There's a first time for everything I guess and this is a first for me.
I find smell of gas misleading. Its normal to have 1-2% of gas in oil, so it might smell a little. When oil is hot, its more smelly. This is not scientific. You can monitor by excess level or by oil test
Old 11-27-2018, 02:35 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by MI-RDX
I see nothing in that link that mentions the 2.0L - must be well hidden. Can you point it out?
I was basing it on the posts by users in this thread. Having a higher oil level 4k miles later doesn't seem like a good sign though. Honda might have to apply a similar fix to what is described in the link but it looks like they are rolling out the fix slower in the USA than Canada. It probably will take a bit longer to become more widespread on the RDX since a lot of people haven't even had their first oil change or they let the dealer do it. Seems like short trips and colder climates make it worse. The 2019 RDX is coming up on its first winter now in the US so we'll see if more people report this problem. Who knows, Honda might already know about it but since they are having trouble keeping up with the 1.5L fix they haven't announced anything.
Old 11-27-2018, 02:59 PM
Instructor

Just came back from the dealer. They said the oil smell is normal. To verify they had me smell the oil on dipsticks for several showroom vehicles--other than RDX. Yup--smelled just like my RDX. They then ran tests to see if it was running too rich and everything checked out as normal. I was the first person to raise this so they're keeping a copy of my paperwork handy in case anyone raises the issue. Bottom line--false alarm at least in my case. Some of the issue may be the break in oil and how that smells.
Twaeball (11-27-2018)
Old 11-27-2018, 06:15 PM
Racer

Just came back from the dealer. They said the oil smell is normal. To verify they had me smell the oil on dipsticks for several showroom vehicles--other than RDX. Yup--smelled just like my RDX. They then ran tests to see if it was running too rich and everything checked out as normal. I was the first person to raise this so they're keeping a copy of my paperwork handy in case anyone raises the issue. Bottom line--false alarm at least in my case. Some of the issue may be the break in oil and how that smells.
I wouldn’t necessarily take the dealer brushing it off as meaning we are totally in the clear.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:54 PM
Instructor

I wouldn’t necessarily take the dealer brushing it off as meaning we are totally in the clear.
I don’t know how you extract the dealer blew it off. Based on this thread, I checked and thought I smelled gasoline in my oil. But at the dealer, that was debunked as my sniffer tested other new cars with the same smell. Dealer then tested the vehicle. All was good. Dealer noted the warranty would cover something like this, should it become an issue. I know some people detest dealers and I get it. But in this instance, I was mistaken in my initial conclusion based on what I’ve already shared.
pnoi521 (11-28-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 07:53 AM
Racer

I don’t know how you extract the dealer blew it off. Based on this thread, I checked and thought I smelled gasoline in my oil. But at the dealer, that was debunked as my sniffer tested other new cars with the same smell. Dealer then tested the vehicle. All was good. Dealer noted the warranty would cover something like this, should it become an issue. I know some people detest dealers and I get it. But in this instance, I was mistaken in my initial conclusion based on what I’ve already shared.
Good point!
Old 11-30-2018, 05:02 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I know what you mean about the cap, no there is nothing on it.
I just ordered an oil analysis kit from Blackstone-lab.com and hopefully have some results in a few weeks.
Keep us posted, OP. I’m a frequent lurker on Bob is the oil guy, and the consensus with that site’s oil “experts” is that Blackstone’s equipment is inferior to other labs in directly measuring/detecting fuel in oil. You’ll get more from the cold and hot viscosity measurements being low to your oil’s original spec. than the % of fuel reading. Can’t wait to see your UOA posted here.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:37 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Smile

I've been keeping a close eye on my oil level. I also spoke with a good friend who happens to be the highest level Honda tech can bestow, and he said they def. have had a couple issues with the 1.5T engines, but not one 2.0 engine.
The Honda engine and the RDX engine are very close to being alike.....with the RDX having 20 more hp.
He said the "fix" for the 1.5 is a recal of the engine control computer. Now, I don't know IF that is going to clear up the problem. I will see him soon and ask if they've had enough time to evaluate the fix.

I also checked with my Acura dealer...who I've done business with for approx. 15 years. They say that they are not seeing any issues with the RDX engine and fuel in the oil.

I guess time will tell. But, this is not isolated with Honda engines. Most know this. Other direct injection turbo 4 engines are seeing similar issues.
Old 12-04-2018, 04:40 PM
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 124 Posts
Checked the oil on my 2019 A-Spec a few days ago and had a heavy smell of gas. Checked it 3 times and with the same result as the pic in the first post on this thread. Going to make an appt with the dealer and see what they have to say.
Old 12-04-2018, 04:45 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by kboo74656
Checked the oil on my 2019 A-Spec a few days ago and had a heavy smell of gas. Checked it 3 times and with the same result as the pic in the first post on this thread. Going to make an appt with the dealer and see what they have to say.
be sure to smell the oil from a few other new cars at the dealer. That’s how I learned the smell of my oil was normal. It may be an issue of the breakin oil smell.
kboo74656 (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 05:05 PM
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 124 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I'll do that when I go there.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:49 AM
Instructor

My dealer confirmed the fuel smell was normal, and his immediate answer mirrored the explanation in the video posted above.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:54 PM
Intermediate

Here is my Blackstone-labs oil analysis report, I just got it today.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jopa:
Curious3GTL (12-18-2018), HotRodW (12-17-2018), subin (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 06:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Oh fu***. That sucks.
you need to speak with service manager and demand answers from corporate. Its a high delution for new car.

Last edited by russianDude; 12-17-2018 at 06:14 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:31 PM
Racer

I’m betting your RDX is not the only one that has this issue. Fuel dilution is a nature of the beast with direct injection, made a bit worse with turbos, motors these days. It seems as though the short trips on a regular basis is the biggest contributor for this happening from all of the reading I’ve done on this subject.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:04 PM
Racer

Not surprising since the 1.5L turbo has the same problem. I figure Honda knows about this issue and is just waiting until they fix all of the 1.5L Hondas before they fix the 2.0L. They didn't admit to the issue until China and other countries basically forced them to.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Not surprising since the 1.5L turbo has the same problem. I figure Honda knows about this issue and is just waiting until they fix all of the 1.5L Hondas before they fix the 2.0L. They didn't admit to the issue until China and other countries basically forced them to.
what is the fix? My understanding they have ECU update for 1.5T, but it’s not clear if this actually fixes the problem or just makes it less of a problem.

how much short trip is short, did he have car running for less than 10-15 min for the most miles he put? Say 90% of time car had less than 10 min trips?
Old 12-17-2018, 09:08 PM
Racer

what is the fix? My understanding they have ECU update for 1.5T, but it’s not clear if this actually fixes the problem or just makes it less of a problem.

how much short trip is short, did he have car running for less than 10-15 min for the most miles he put? Say 90% of time car had less than 10 min trips?
Honda will attempt to fix the oil dilution problem with a service campaign that includes:
  1. Software updates to the transmission control module and electronic fuel injection system.
  2. Replacing a drain plug washer
  3. Replacing the climate control unit (in some cases)
  4. A fresh oil change
Honda believes these updates will allow the engine to warm up faster and improve fuel combustion.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:29 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Wow, that sucks! Thanks for sharing your UOA. Keep up with your risk mitigation of shorter OCI for the time being and report the issue to your dealer service and see how they react. It took Honda months to admit an issue and devise a campaign for a fix for the 1.5T and even that took the Chinese government forbidding them to sell to get enough buzz to force their hand. Luckily in your case it’s a lease. As for those of us that purchased....ughhh.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:41 AM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Honda will attempt to fix the oil dilution problem with a service campaign that includes:
  1. Software updates to the transmission control module and electronic fuel injection system.
  2. Replacing a drain plug washer
  3. Replacing the climate control unit (in some cases)
  4. A fresh oil change
Honda believes these updates will allow the engine to warm up faster and improve fuel combustion.

I would assume that this would be extended to the 2019 RDX if it applies and will not be extended if it does not apply. I plan to wait and see and not worry too much about it unless I detect a problem in the way it drives. If it does expensive damage over time to a vehicle under warranty, I would think Acura would quickly do the fairly inexpensive recall while everyone's mileages are still low before any damages result.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:06 AM
Suzuka Master

You not going to notice a difference in how car drives with diluted engine oil. But it will slowly damage the engine if this is happening for number of years.
The oil report is a strong evidence that there is something wrong. Sometimes you need to raise hell with corporate for them to do anything, otherwise they will try to brush it off.
If it would be my car with that oil report I would be talking not only with service manager, but also honda corprare and have them open a case.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:31 AM
Racer

The 3.7L engine with oil consumption issues is probably a good example of how Honda handles problems. At least with this issue it's a bit more clear cut and they can't just tell you to add oil. But it is kind of worrying that the dealers are saying it's normal and telling people to smell the gas in the other cars on the lot, as if that makes it ok.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:45 AM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
You not going to notice a difference in how car drives with diluted engine oil. But it will slowly damage the engine if this is happening for number of years.
The oil report is a strong evidence that there is something wrong. Sometimes you need to raise hell with corporate for them to do anything, otherwise they will try to brush it off.
If it would be my car with that oil report I would be talking not only with service manager, but also honda corprare and have them open a case.
Point taken. As the thread title suggests, it sounds like checking the dip stick level for an increased oil level periodically is probably what the average owner should do before taking any other steps. If it rises, then the posted oil report might enter into service manager conversations.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:05 PM
Instructor

Here's what's worrisome for me. Is a 5% increase really going to be THAT obvious on the dipstick? Think about it...that's a VERY small amount of liquid. Makes me concerned that it could go undetected.

Quick Reply: Check your engine oil level guys