Cannot believe keyed remote start is not included - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Go Back  AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community > AcuraZine RDX Community > Third Generation RDX (2019+)
Reload this Page >

Cannot believe keyed remote start is not included

Notices

Cannot believe keyed remote start is not included

Old 09-15-2018, 08:50 PM
  #1  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
fleming23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Geogia
Age: 35
Posts: 165
Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Cannot believe keyed remote start is not included

I know this is not necessarily new information, but I cannot for the life of me believe that the $50k Advance AWD does not INCLUDE remote start from the key fob... I saw it online mentioned in two different places, including the owner's site, showing the key I assumed I would be getting.

Remote Engine Start | 2019 Acura RDX | Acura Owners Site

This is 100% my fault but we test drove a Tech and I just assumed the advance had the option, based on ALL the information shown on the Acura website that says remote start is included. The app does not count, because using that for remote start is incredibly annoying.

I gather it can be added aftermarket, which I guess I will now be forced to do, but I cannot determine if the entire rear of the RDX has to be removed as per the tech forum. If the app can remote start the car, it would make sense the key fob should be all you need to add, although I suppose they use a different technology.

Rant over, but this was a major disappointment in our brand new car. Other than that, I love the new RDX Advance. Much improved over our 2012 TL Advance we just traded in today.
fleming23 is offline  
Old 09-15-2018, 09:47 PM
  #2  
Registered Member
 
vvlien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 44
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
It's odd that Honda has it standard on the Accords, CRV's, and Pilots EX models or higher (probably Civic's as well), but Acura does not have it standard on their models.
vvlien is offline  
Old 09-15-2018, 11:05 PM
  #3  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Age: 44
Posts: 281
Thanked 59 Times in 40 Posts
This has been discussed in other thread. It’s a $399 accessory option, installed by dealer with new fobs.

and yes, they use different technologies. One is over the air via cellular signal and other is radio signal.

but ya, I agree it’s ridiculous not to have it included in the upper trim.


Last edited by acuraada; 09-15-2018 at 11:12 PM.
acuraada is offline  
Old 09-16-2018, 09:26 AM
  #4  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: TN
Age: 54
Posts: 251
Thanked 33 Times in 28 Posts
I have not chimed in on any of these threads about remote start, but I for one am happy that it is not included for “free”. I would not use remote start and I would not have wanted to pay for it. The only time I have ever let my car warm up was when we had a child and didn’t want to put her in a cold car seat.

i appreciate the fact that you all feel like an expensive luxury car should have all the bells and whistles, but I am glad that some things are left as accessories that you can have installed if it is wanted.

Billy
billyt1963 is offline  
Old 09-16-2018, 10:19 AM
  #5  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Michigan
Posts: 652
Thanked 156 Times in 109 Posts
Originally Posted by billyt1963 View Post
I have not chimed in on any of these threads about remote start, but I for one am happy that it is not included for “free”. I would not use remote start and I would not have wanted to pay for it. The only time I have ever let my car warm up was when we had a child and didn’t want to put her in a cold car seat.

i appreciate the fact that you all feel like an expensive luxury car should have all the bells and whistles, but I am glad that some things are left as accessories that you can have installed if it is wanted.

Billy
+1
MI-RDX is online now  
Old 09-16-2018, 10:49 AM
  #6  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
fleming23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Geogia
Age: 35
Posts: 165
Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by billyt1963 View Post
I have not chimed in on any of these threads about remote start, but I for one am happy that it is not included for “free”. I would not use remote start and I would not have wanted to pay for it. The only time I have ever let my car warm up was when we had a child and didn’t want to put her in a cold car seat.

i appreciate the fact that you all feel like an expensive luxury car should have all the bells and whistles, but I am glad that some things are left as accessories that you can have installed if it is wanted.

Billy
Originally Posted by MI-RDX View Post
+1

Sure, and I agree....on a base, or possibly even the Technology, but not the Advance.
fleming23 is offline  
Old 09-16-2018, 11:10 AM
  #7  
Registered Member
 
Madd Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 877
Thanked 191 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by fleming23 View Post
Sure, and I agree....on a base, or possibly even the Technology, but not the Advance.
I would rather have folding mirrors as a choice in my car than the remote start. I know it sounds crazy, but not having a remote start means nothing to me, but if the car had driver operated folding mirrors, I would probably have kicked it up to the advance trim. My car mostly sits in the garage, so remote start is rarely needed. I have only used it twice, and will rarely use it going forward, but popping a button to fold the mirrors is something I would use every time I put the car in the garage.
Madd Dog is online now  
Old 09-16-2018, 11:15 AM
  #8  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
fleming23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Geogia
Age: 35
Posts: 165
Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog View Post
I would rather have folding mirrors as a choice in my car than the remote start. I know it sounds crazy, but not having a remote start means nothing to me, but if the car had driver operated folding mirrors, I would probably have kicked it up to the advance trim. My car mostly sits in the garage, so remote start is rarely needed. I have only used it twice, and will rarely use it going forward, but popping a button to fold the mirrors is something I would use every time I put the car in the garage.
Another option I swear I thought was available/included on the RDX advance when reading the spec sheets as most of the dealers show it as a feature. These don't stick out super far, but I agree, I wish it had those as well.
fleming23 is offline  
Old 09-16-2018, 11:26 AM
  #9  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Michigan
Posts: 652
Thanked 156 Times in 109 Posts
Originally Posted by fleming23 View Post
Sure, and I agree....on a base, or possibly even the Technology, but not the Advance.
Regardless of the trim level mandatory 'options' benefit only those that want or need them - for everyone else they're nothing more than additional cost with no benefit. Myself I'd much rather pay $2K less and not have a sunroof of any type.
MI-RDX is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to MI-RDX For This Useful Post:
SandwichViking (09-16-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 11:32 AM
  #10  
Registered Member
 
MarineOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: DFW
Age: 54
Posts: 64
Thanked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog View Post
I would rather have folding mirrors as a choice in my car than the remote start. I know it sounds crazy, but not having a remote start means nothing to me, but if the car had driver operated folding mirrors, I would probably have kicked it up to the advance trim. My car mostly sits in the garage, so remote start is rarely needed. I have only used it twice, and will rarely use it going forward, but popping a button to fold the mirrors is something I would use every time I put the car in the garage.
I agree, I could not care less about remote start.
MarineOne is offline  
Old 09-17-2018, 03:37 PM
  #11  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 276
Thanked 21 Times in 17 Posts
While reading this thread, I went back to the discussions of my parents having a TV with four channels, and you had to get up and walk over to it to change to a different station. How far we have come with little conveniences that some people can not live with, or without. Now, if the car had a remote start, and would drive over to your location to pick you up, like in a mall parking lot, then that might be worthwhile. Other than that, remote start does not seem like a necessity. To me anyway, since none of my cars have it at the moment. To each his/her own though. All perspective.
hues10 is offline  
Old 09-17-2018, 05:39 PM
  #12  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Age: 44
Posts: 281
Thanked 59 Times in 40 Posts
Yes my parents can discuss the days when TV didn’t have a remote but they can’t live without their Facebook or YouTube

thats how technologies move forward, increments and commoditization.

the convinences on the common cars today all existed in high end models years back, only cheaper and better now. For those that remembered backup camera wasn’t a standard thing, the argument to that was a mirror or turn of a head.





Last edited by acuraada; 09-17-2018 at 05:45 PM.
acuraada is offline  
Old 09-17-2018, 06:27 PM
  #13  
Registered Member
 
ZipSpeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 276
Thanked 80 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by fleming23 View Post
Another option I swear I thought was available/included on the RDX advance when reading the spec sheets as most of the dealers show it as a feature. These don't stick out super far, but I agree, I wish it had those as well.
I think the confusion lies with the shared literature between Canadian and American models. Canadian models do have the power folding mirrors on the A-Spec, Elite and Platinum Elite, and remote start on the keyfob as standard key equipment across all trims.
ZipSpeed is offline  
Old 09-17-2018, 07:08 PM
  #14  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,355
Thanked 51 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by fleming23 View Post
I know this is not necessarily new information, but I cannot for the life of me believe that the $50k Advance AWD does not INCLUDE remote start from the key fob... I saw it online mentioned in two different places, including the owner's site, showing the key I assumed I would be getting.

Remote Engine Start | 2019 Acura RDX | Acura Owners Site

This is 100% my fault but we test drove a Tech and I just assumed the advance had the option, based on ALL the information shown on the Acura website that says remote start is included. The app does not count, because using that for remote start is incredibly annoying.

I gather it can be added aftermarket, which I guess I will now be forced to do, but I cannot determine if the entire rear of the RDX has to be removed as per the tech forum. If the app can remote start the car, it would make sense the key fob should be all you need to add, although I suppose they use a different technology.

Rant over, but this was a major disappointment in our brand new car. Other than that, I love the new RDX Advance. Much improved over our 2012 TL Advance we just traded in today.
For some reason the Canadian models have the remote start. Just stupid to have to subscribe to Acuralink to use it via your phone.


BLEXV6 is offline  
Old 09-18-2018, 09:47 AM
  #15  
mch
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Age: 32
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Acura website listed *Remote Start as a feature for the Advance model when you compared with Tech/base back in July when we bought it... Was so lame to find out they "MISS TYPED THAT" and it would be free for like 90 days? What a Joke. A subscription to remote start (when it works...) the car is such a weak point.
mch is offline  
Old 09-18-2018, 01:38 PM
  #16  
Registered Member
 
Yotrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 152
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I believe all Canadian models comes with remote start..
Yotrek is offline  
Old 09-18-2018, 02:42 PM
  #17  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 23
Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 4 Posts
It probably isn't much consolation but not all 'luxury" cars have remote start. The 2018 Audi Q5 not only didn't come with remote start, it was not even an option to add.
fodder is offline  
Old 09-18-2018, 08:49 PM
  #18  
WayTooManyAcuras
 
oblio98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,956
Thanked 167 Times in 94 Posts
My parents had a remote control for their TV back in the day. ME! It was "Get up and change the TV to Channel 3!"
oblio98 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to oblio98 For This Useful Post:
Madd Dog (09-27-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 05:19 AM
  #19  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 102
Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by fodder View Post
It probably isn't much consolation but not all 'luxury" cars have remote start. The 2018 Audi Q5 not only didn't come with remote start, it was not even an option to add.
I believe BMWs don't come with remote start either. I read a post in an Audi or BMW forum by a european poster that it is illegal in Europe to have a parked car idling due to environmental laws. So no factory hook ups, but I see alot of aftermarket systems for sale, although they usually require cutting and splicing wires along with bypassing security measures (eg. you have to hide a key fob somewhere so the ignition disable is disarmed which of course negates some of your anti-theft functions).

My only complaint is that the receiver should be easier to install, as of now you have to remove almost all the trim panels in the rear to install the receiver near the antenna. Acura should either install the receiver at the factory for the Advance and still allow the dealer to make a profit on selling the remote key fob. Removing and replacing interior trim panels increases the likelyhood of squeaks later on.
ednigma is offline  
Old 09-19-2018, 12:49 PM
  #20  
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: O.C., So., Calif.
Posts: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure about other models but, my A-spec has remote start via the Acura app on my phone. It's not instant on but it does work.
MajorHavoc is offline  
Old 09-19-2018, 01:00 PM
  #21  
Registered Member
 
Yotrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 152
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MajorHavoc View Post
Not sure about other models but, my A-spec has remote start via the Acura app on my phone. It's not instant on but it does work.
All have remote start feature using Acura App., I think the problem is not having remote start button on the keyfob..
Yotrek is offline  
Old 09-19-2018, 01:15 PM
  #22  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
fleming23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Geogia
Age: 35
Posts: 165
Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Sorry, I started this thread, which got mixed options (as do most car forums.) There were some valid points made about not all cars of the same class having remote start. I think my frustration was how it was marketed, again my mistake for not doing more research, but I feel it was misleading.

None the less, I have an appointment this Saturday to have the accessory remote start installed so the problem shall be no more for us.
fleming23 is offline  
Old 09-19-2018, 05:06 PM
  #23  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Saint Augustine, FL
Age: 56
Posts: 314
Thanked 48 Times in 43 Posts
What are they charging you to install it?
securityguy is online now  
Old 09-20-2018, 08:26 AM
  #24  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
fleming23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Geogia
Age: 35
Posts: 165
Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by securityguy View Post
What are they charging you to install it?
$652.25 installed. This was a good bit higher than what the dealer who sold me the car would have installed it for, but that requires a 1.5 hour trip each way, and was not worth it. I've heard around $600, so this was pretty much in line with what I expected.
fleming23 is offline  
Old 09-20-2018, 09:25 AM
  #25  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Age: 44
Posts: 281
Thanked 59 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by fleming23 View Post
$652.25 installed. This was a good bit higher than what the dealer who sold me the car would have installed it for, but that requires a 1.5 hour trip each way, and was not worth it. I've heard around $600, so this was pretty much in line with what I expected.
that includes parts? if so, it's not that bad.
acuraada is offline  
Old 09-20-2018, 09:36 AM
  #26  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
fleming23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Geogia
Age: 35
Posts: 165
Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by acuraada View Post
that includes parts? if so, it's not that bad.
Correct, parts & labor.
fleming23 is offline  
Old 09-20-2018, 09:48 AM
  #27  
Registered Member
 
Madd Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 877
Thanked 191 Times in 153 Posts
Considering how I use my car, I am at a bit of a loss as to why the key fob, which requires proximity, is better than the app, which does not.
Madd Dog is online now  
Old 09-20-2018, 10:08 AM
  #28  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
fleming23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Geogia
Age: 35
Posts: 165
Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog View Post
Considering how I use my car, I am at a bit of a loss as to why the key fob, which requires proximity, is better than the app, which does not.
The app is slow, requires a number of steps, and as has been reported on here, prone to issues. The key works around 300' and can be done from my pocket without ever looking. When I leave work in my other vehicle, I reach into my pocket and, without looking, press the lock and remote start button sequence.

Beyond that, the app is only free for 6 months and then requires a 100-110? yearly subscription. At that cost, I might as well pay for the hard installation as it will be more or less a wash when we go to sell/trade in again.

Perfect example, I just opened my AcuraLink app, and the remote start feature is not even showing available, although we linked the car at the dealer when I picked it up.

Last edited by fleming23; 09-20-2018 at 10:11 AM.
fleming23 is offline  
Old 09-20-2018, 10:22 AM
  #29  
mch
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Age: 32
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another annoyance with APP is once I click start, I have to keep the app open until the car actually starts... if close app or change to another app it just cancels the command...
mch is offline  
Old 09-20-2018, 12:52 PM
  #30  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Saint Augustine, FL
Age: 56
Posts: 314
Thanked 48 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by acuraada View Post
that includes parts? if so, it's not that bad.
I don't keep my cars long enough so it's actually cheaper for me to pay for the app then spend $600-$700 to have this installed and I, personally, have had zero issues using the app and found no adverse effects. If it's $110/year, then it takes 6 years and it paid for itself and I'll have the RDX for three years at most. For those looking to keep their car >6 years, then this may be your better option...just not for me.
securityguy is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to securityguy For This Useful Post:
zroger73 (09-20-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 01:23 PM
  #31  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Age: 44
Posts: 281
Thanked 59 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by securityguy View Post
I don't keep my cars long enough so it's actually cheaper for me to pay for the app then spend $600-$700 to have this installed and I, personally, have had zero issues using the app and found no adverse effects. If it's $110/year, then it takes 6 years and it paid for itself and I'll have the RDX for three years at most. For those looking to keep their car >6 years, then this may be your better option...just not for me.
You bring up a good point. Maybe because of the large leasing market here in the US, Acura might have decided to eliminate this as a standard here in the US.



acuraada is offline  
Old 09-20-2018, 02:47 PM
  #32  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 22
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have the remote start installed on my 19' RDX. I got a steal on the remote itself and it was only $185 off of eBay and dealer charged $270 for install = $455 total. It works very well. The one downfall is the fob is now even bigger than before. It also scratches very easy.
wendtdc13 is offline  
Old 09-20-2018, 02:52 PM
  #33  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
fleming23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Geogia
Age: 35
Posts: 165
Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by wendtdc13 View Post
The one downfall is the fob is now even bigger than before. It also scratches very easy.
I actually ordered these before I left to go pick the car up from the dealer...thinking that was the key I was going to get based on the online manual. They work really well for the scratch thing. Just one more unnecessary thing to spend money on I suppose.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071FBXY79/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071FBXY79/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
fleming23 is offline  
Old 09-20-2018, 08:51 PM
  #34  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Michigan
Posts: 652
Thanked 156 Times in 109 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog View Post
Considering how I use my car, I am at a bit of a loss as to why the key fob, which requires proximity, is better than the app, which does not.
Just today my wife and I took a trip with some other people. We met them away from home and they drove so the RDX sat out in the sun all day. A couple miles away on the way back I remote started via the app and the car was nice and cool when we got to it.

This is how I would use remote start most of the time. Whether or not I'll use it enough to pay for it is another matter, but the subscription includes benefits beyond remote start. Still need to do the cost/benefit analysis but I had OnStar for the 4 years I owned a Cadillac (which gave me fob and app remote start) and felt it was worth the cost.
MI-RDX is online now  
Old 09-27-2018, 07:47 PM
  #35  
Registered Member
 
Madd Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 877
Thanked 191 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by MI-RDX View Post
Just today my wife and I took a trip with some other people. We met them away from home and they drove so the RDX sat out in the sun all day. A couple miles away on the way back I remote started via the app and the car was nice and cool when we got to it.

This is how I would use remote start most of the time. Whether or not I'll use it enough to pay for it is another matter, but the subscription includes benefits beyond remote start. Still need to do the cost/benefit analysis but I had OnStar for the 4 years I owned a Cadillac (which gave me fob and app remote start) and felt it was worth the cost.

This is essentially the way I have/would use it. At the pool, about 10 minutes before leaving, start her up and cool her off.

But I must be away from home for it to be of any use to me. But folding mirrors? That is what I miss from my BMW.
Madd Dog is online now  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
zhaoyan727
Second Generation RL (2005-2012)
2
12-10-2017 11:33 PM
P1zzaman
3G TL Problems & Fixes
14
12-07-2014 06:09 PM
kysit
1G TSX Problems & Fixes
1
02-19-2009 07:40 PM
noshow_nogo
3G TL Problems & Fixes
5
06-29-2008 10:58 PM
brettallica
Third Generation TL (2004-2008)
43
04-04-2007 11:22 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cannot believe keyed remote start is not included


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.