Cannot believe keyed remote start is not included

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 07:50 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Cannot believe keyed remote start is not included

I know this is not necessarily new information, but I cannot for the life of me believe that the $50k Advance AWD does not INCLUDE remote start from the key fob... I saw it online mentioned in two different places, including the owner's site, showing the key I assumed I would be getting.

Remote Engine Start | 2019 Acura RDX | Acura Owners Site

This is 100% my fault but we test drove a Tech and I just assumed the advance had the option, based on ALL the information shown on the Acura website that says remote start is included. The app does not count, because using that for remote start is incredibly annoying.

I gather it can be added aftermarket, which I guess I will now be forced to do, but I cannot determine if the entire rear of the RDX has to be removed as per the tech forum. If the app can remote start the car, it would make sense the key fob should be all you need to add, although I suppose they use a different technology.

Rant over, but this was a major disappointment in our brand new car. Other than that, I love the new RDX Advance. Much improved over our 2012 TL Advance we just traded in today.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:47 PM
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 45 Posts
It's odd that Honda has it standard on the Accords, CRV's, and Pilots EX models or higher (probably Civic's as well), but Acura does not have it standard on their models.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
This has been discussed in other thread. It’s a $399 accessory option, installed by dealer with new fobs.

and yes, they use different technologies. One is over the air via cellular signal and other is radio signal.

but ya, I agree it’s ridiculous not to have it included in the upper trim.

Last edited by acuraada; 09-15-2018 at 10:12 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:26 AM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
I have not chimed in on any of these threads about remote start, but I for one am happy that it is not included for “free”. I would not use remote start and I would not have wanted to pay for it. The only time I have ever let my car warm up was when we had a child and didn’t want to put her in a cold car seat.

i appreciate the fact that you all feel like an expensive luxury car should have all the bells and whistles, but I am glad that some things are left as accessories that you can have installed if it is wanted.

Billy
Old 09-16-2018, 09:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by billyt1963
I have not chimed in on any of these threads about remote start, but I for one am happy that it is not included for “free”. I would not use remote start and I would not have wanted to pay for it. The only time I have ever let my car warm up was when we had a child and didn’t want to put her in a cold car seat.

i appreciate the fact that you all feel like an expensive luxury car should have all the bells and whistles, but I am glad that some things are left as accessories that you can have installed if it is wanted.

Billy
+1
Old 09-16-2018, 09:49 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by billyt1963

Billy
Originally Posted by MI-RDX
+1

Sure, and I agree....on a base, or possibly even the Technology, but not the Advance.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:10 AM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by fleming23
Sure, and I agree....on a base, or possibly even the Technology, but not the Advance.
I would rather have folding mirrors as a choice in my car than the remote start. I know it sounds crazy, but not having a remote start means nothing to me, but if the car had driver operated folding mirrors, I would probably have kicked it up to the advance trim. My car mostly sits in the garage, so remote start is rarely needed. I have only used it twice, and will rarely use it going forward, but popping a button to fold the mirrors is something I would use every time I put the car in the garage.
The following users liked this post:
Harmoni Lyn (03-18-2021)
Old 09-16-2018, 10:15 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
I would rather have folding mirrors as a choice in my car than the remote start. I know it sounds crazy, but not having a remote start means nothing to me, but if the car had driver operated folding mirrors, I would probably have kicked it up to the advance trim. My car mostly sits in the garage, so remote start is rarely needed. I have only used it twice, and will rarely use it going forward, but popping a button to fold the mirrors is something I would use every time I put the car in the garage.
Another option I swear I thought was available/included on the RDX advance when reading the spec sheets as most of the dealers show it as a feature. These don't stick out super far, but I agree, I wish it had those as well.
Harmoni Lyn (03-18-2021)
Old 09-16-2018, 10:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Regardless of the trim level mandatory 'options' benefit only those that want or need them - for everyone else they're nothing more than additional cost with no benefit. Myself I'd much rather pay $2K less and not have a sunroof of any type.
SandwichViking (09-16-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 10:32 AM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
I agree, I could not care less about remote start.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:37 PM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
While reading this thread, I went back to the discussions of my parents having a TV with four channels, and you had to get up and walk over to it to change to a different station. How far we have come with little conveniences that some people can not live with, or without. Now, if the car had a remote start, and would drive over to your location to pick you up, like in a mall parking lot, then that might be worthwhile. Other than that, remote start does not seem like a necessity. To me anyway, since none of my cars have it at the moment. To each his/her own though. All perspective.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Yes my parents can discuss the days when TV didn’t have a remote but they can’t live without their Facebook or YouTube

thats how technologies move forward, increments and commoditization.

the convinences on the common cars today all existed in high end models years back, only cheaper and better now. For those that remembered backup camera wasn’t a standard thing, the argument to that was a mirror or turn of a head.

Last edited by acuraada; 09-17-2018 at 04:45 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:27 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
Another option I swear I thought was available/included on the RDX advance when reading the spec sheets as most of the dealers show it as a feature. These don't stick out super far, but I agree, I wish it had those as well.
I think the confusion lies with the shared literature between Canadian and American models. Canadian models do have the power folding mirrors on the A-Spec, Elite and Platinum Elite, and remote start on the keyfob as standard key equipment across all trims.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:08 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
I know this is not necessarily new information, but I cannot for the life of me believe that the $50k Advance AWD does not INCLUDE remote start from the key fob... I saw it online mentioned in two different places, including the owner's site, showing the key I assumed I would be getting.

Remote Engine Start | 2019 Acura RDX | Acura Owners Site

This is 100% my fault but we test drove a Tech and I just assumed the advance had the option, based on ALL the information shown on the Acura website that says remote start is included. The app does not count, because using that for remote start is incredibly annoying.

I gather it can be added aftermarket, which I guess I will now be forced to do, but I cannot determine if the entire rear of the RDX has to be removed as per the tech forum. If the app can remote start the car, it would make sense the key fob should be all you need to add, although I suppose they use a different technology.

Rant over, but this was a major disappointment in our brand new car. Other than that, I love the new RDX Advance. Much improved over our 2012 TL Advance we just traded in today.
For some reason the Canadian models have the remote start. Just stupid to have to subscribe to Acuralink to use it via your phone.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:47 AM
mch
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The Acura website listed *Remote Start as a feature for the Advance model when you compared with Tech/base back in July when we bought it... Was so lame to find out they "MISS TYPED THAT" and it would be free for like 90 days? What a Joke. A subscription to remote start (when it works...) the car is such a weak point.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:38 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
I believe all Canadian models comes with remote start..
Old 09-18-2018, 01:42 PM
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
It probably isn't much consolation but not all 'luxury" cars have remote start. The 2018 Audi Q5 not only didn't come with remote start, it was not even an option to add.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:49 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
My parents had a remote control for their TV back in the day. ME! It was "Get up and change the TV to Channel 3!"
Madd Dog (09-27-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 04:19 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by fodder
It probably isn't much consolation but not all 'luxury" cars have remote start. The 2018 Audi Q5 not only didn't come with remote start, it was not even an option to add.
I believe BMWs don't come with remote start either. I read a post in an Audi or BMW forum by a european poster that it is illegal in Europe to have a parked car idling due to environmental laws. So no factory hook ups, but I see alot of aftermarket systems for sale, although they usually require cutting and splicing wires along with bypassing security measures (eg. you have to hide a key fob somewhere so the ignition disable is disarmed which of course negates some of your anti-theft functions).

My only complaint is that the receiver should be easier to install, as of now you have to remove almost all the trim panels in the rear to install the receiver near the antenna. Acura should either install the receiver at the factory for the Advance and still allow the dealer to make a profit on selling the remote key fob. Removing and replacing interior trim panels increases the likelyhood of squeaks later on.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:49 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure about other models but, my A-spec has remote start via the Acura app on my phone. It's not instant on but it does work.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:00 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by MajorHavoc
Not sure about other models but, my A-spec has remote start via the Acura app on my phone. It's not instant on but it does work.
All have remote start feature using Acura App., I think the problem is not having remote start button on the keyfob..
Old 09-19-2018, 12:15 PM
Instructor

Sorry, I started this thread, which got mixed options (as do most car forums.) There were some valid points made about not all cars of the same class having remote start. I think my frustration was how it was marketed, again my mistake for not doing more research, but I feel it was misleading.

None the less, I have an appointment this Saturday to have the accessory remote start installed so the problem shall be no more for us.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts
What are they charging you to install it?
Old 09-20-2018, 07:26 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by securityguy
What are they charging you to install it?
$652.25 installed. This was a good bit higher than what the dealer who sold me the car would have installed it for, but that requires a 1.5 hour trip each way, and was not worth it. I've heard around $600, so this was pretty much in line with what I expected.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:25 AM
Burning Brakes

$652.25 installed. This was a good bit higher than what the dealer who sold me the car would have installed it for, but that requires a 1.5 hour trip each way, and was not worth it. I've heard around $600, so this was pretty much in line with what I expected.
that includes parts? if so, it's not that bad.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:36 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by acuraada
Correct, parts & labor.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:48 AM
Drifting

Considering how I use my car, I am at a bit of a loss as to why the key fob, which requires proximity, is better than the app, which does not.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:08 AM
Instructor

Considering how I use my car, I am at a bit of a loss as to why the key fob, which requires proximity, is better than the app, which does not.
The app is slow, requires a number of steps, and as has been reported on here, prone to issues. The key works around 300' and can be done from my pocket without ever looking. When I leave work in my other vehicle, I reach into my pocket and, without looking, press the lock and remote start button sequence.

Beyond that, the app is only free for 6 months and then requires a 100-110? yearly subscription. At that cost, I might as well pay for the hard installation as it will be more or less a wash when we go to sell/trade in again.

Perfect example, I just opened my AcuraLink app, and the remote start feature is not even showing available, although we linked the car at the dealer when I picked it up.

Last edited by fleming23; 09-20-2018 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:22 AM
mch
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Another annoyance with APP is once I click start, I have to keep the app open until the car actually starts... if close app or change to another app it just cancels the command...
Old 09-20-2018, 11:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by acuraada
I don't keep my cars long enough so it's actually cheaper for me to pay for the app then spend $600-$700 to have this installed and I, personally, have had zero issues using the app and found no adverse effects. If it's $110/year, then it takes 6 years and it paid for itself and I'll have the RDX for three years at most. For those looking to keep their car >6 years, then this may be your better option...just not for me.
zroger73 (09-20-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 12:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by securityguy
I don't keep my cars long enough so it's actually cheaper for me to pay for the app then spend $600-$700 to have this installed and I, personally, have had zero issues using the app and found no adverse effects. If it's $110/year, then it takes 6 years and it paid for itself and I'll have the RDX for three years at most. For those looking to keep their car >6 years, then this may be your better option...just not for me.
You bring up a good point. Maybe because of the large leasing market here in the US, Acura might have decided to eliminate this as a standard here in the US.

Old 09-20-2018, 01:47 PM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I have the remote start installed on my 19' RDX. I got a steal on the remote itself and it was only $185 off of eBay and dealer charged $270 for install = $455 total. It works very well. The one downfall is the fob is now even bigger than before. It also scratches very easy.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:52 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by wendtdc13
The one downfall is the fob is now even bigger than before. It also scratches very easy.
I actually ordered these before I left to go pick the car up from the dealer...thinking that was the key I was going to get based on the online manual. They work really well for the scratch thing. Just one more unnecessary thing to spend money on I suppose.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071FBXY79/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071FBXY79/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 09-20-2018, 07:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Just today my wife and I took a trip with some other people. We met them away from home and they drove so the RDX sat out in the sun all day. A couple miles away on the way back I remote started via the app and the car was nice and cool when we got to it.

This is how I would use remote start most of the time. Whether or not I'll use it enough to pay for it is another matter, but the subscription includes benefits beyond remote start. Still need to do the cost/benefit analysis but I had OnStar for the 4 years I owned a Cadillac (which gave me fob and app remote start) and felt it was worth the cost.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:47 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by MI-RDX
Just today my wife and I took a trip with some other people. We met them away from home and they drove so the RDX sat out in the sun all day. A couple miles away on the way back I remote started via the app and the car was nice and cool when we got to it.

This is how I would use remote start most of the time. Whether or not I'll use it enough to pay for it is another matter, but the subscription includes benefits beyond remote start. Still need to do the cost/benefit analysis but I had OnStar for the 4 years I owned a Cadillac (which gave me fob and app remote start) and felt it was worth the cost.

This is essentially the way I have/would use it. At the pool, about 10 minutes before leaving, start her up and cool her off.

But I must be away from home for it to be of any use to me. But folding mirrors? That is what I miss from my BMW.