Build date to dealer deliver time estimates?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 09:25 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Build date to dealer deliver time estimates?

Anyone have any insight on how long it should for dealer deliver once the vehicle has been built? My dealer on the East coast said our RDX was build three weeks ago and can confirm it as 'in transit' but nothing else. Seems to me it shouldn't take 3 weeks from factory to dealer on the Easy Coast/New England.................
Old 06-23-2018, 09:43 AM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
Here are pieces of information that I have. We ordered a 2019 a week ago. Our salesman said we had a build date of 7/15 and we should have the car at the end of July (dealer in Middle TN).

Using Google the answer was 2 days to 4 weeks.

That being said, I would think from Ohio to New England would be about like our car, a couple of weeks.

Good luck on your new ride getting there sooner than later.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Sometimes it's just a matter of timing.

Cars are generally shipped long distance by train with only the last few miles by truck. Trains don't move until it's economically viable so your specific vehicle is probably just sitting around waiting until there's a full load heading in the right direction. If yours is the first one built going east there's going to be a wait, if it's the vehicle that fills the train it'll be on it's way the next day.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:13 PM
Pro

Received 218 Likes on 135 Posts
Don't want to change the subject -- that last reply was very interesting, BTW [never would've thought about that trains-waiting-to-be-filled stuff, etc.]) -- but wondered if you all who are waiting for your car to arrive from the factory have a signed, finalized sales contract already and now just waiting to take delivery, OR if you won't be doing the contract until the car arrives. I forgot the sequence of things.

The reason I ask is because if your finalized sales contract includes a trade-in, what happens to the agreed-upon amount you're getting for the trade-in if you have to drive it around for a while until the new RDX is available for pick up.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by birdonamission
...what happens to the agreed-upon amount you're getting for the trade-in if you have to drive it around for a while until the new RDX is available for pick up.
My experience is the dealer allows a 'reasonable' number of miles. The last time I did a factory order it was about 10 weeks to delivery so we estimated how many additional miles I'd drive and did the trade value based on that. If you pile on thousands of miles while waiting it may affect the trade value.
The following users liked this post:
birdonamission (06-23-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 09:29 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by MI-RDX
My experience is the dealer allows a 'reasonable' number of miles. The last time I did a factory order it was about 10 weeks to delivery so we estimated how many additional miles I'd drive and did the trade value based on that. If you pile on thousands of miles while waiting it may affect the trade value.
Ahhh, OK. Good info, thanks.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:59 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
I was given my VIN last Thursday and was told it was ready to be shipped from Ohio. They told me it might be 2-4 weeks. I got a call today that it was coming off the truck right now and I could pick it up tomorrow!
Woo-Hoo. So I would bet that since I'm in CT there were a lot of cars being brought up into NY/New England, so the train didn't have to wait too long to get filled up. If you're in Wyoming, you might have to wait a lot longer!
Old 06-30-2018, 07:10 AM
Cruisin'

oblio98; I'm also a CT resident, may I ask who your selling dealer is and which RDX did you order specifically? [I'm still awaiting delivery, almost four weeks now.........]
Old 06-30-2018, 12:07 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Originally Posted by DACAR
oblio98; I'm also a CT resident, may I ask who your selling dealer is and which RDX did you order specifically? [I'm still awaiting delivery, almost four weeks now.........]
Sure. Mine came from Schaller Acura in Manchester. Picked it up yesterday. Very nice.
I was asking them about colors as they seemed to make a big deal about the red ones being hard to get. I asked about Gunmetal just because I wanted to see one and they told me those were even harder to get and they had one on order but it would not be here for weeks. Was your car ordered in Gunmetal?
Old 06-30-2018, 12:45 PM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by oblio98
I was given my VIN last Thursday and was told it was ready to be shipped from Ohio. They told me it might be 2-4 weeks. I got a call today that it was coming off the truck right now and I could pick it up tomorrow!
Woo-Hoo. So I would bet that since I'm in CT there were a lot of cars being brought up into NY/New England, so the train didn't have to wait too long to get filled up. If you're in Wyoming, you might have to wait a lot longer!
how long did you wait until you received your VIN? I'm at 4 weeks and they still dont have a VIN # for me yet
Old 06-30-2018, 12:56 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Originally Posted by starlord
how long did you wait until you received your VIN? I'm at 4 weeks and they still dont have a VIN # for me yet
About 3 weeks. Then in just over a week the car was here.
Old 06-30-2018, 01:52 PM
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
My Gunmetal Metallic Advance is supposed to be built on July 14th (2 weeks from today). I was told likely delivery by the end of July. Portland, OR. I'll let you know.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:33 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by romer
My Gunmetal Metallic Advance is supposed to be built on July 14th (2 weeks from today). I was told likely delivery by the end of July. Portland, OR. I'll let you know.
We ordered a Modert Steel Metallic two weeks ago, we were told the build date would be July 15th and we would have the car by the end of July. Our dealership is in Middle TN.

Billy
Old 06-30-2018, 07:56 PM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
My sister ordered her blue A-spec early June, and it was about 2 weeks before delivery to the dealership.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:39 PM
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts
I ordered a black on black in May, it was built around mid-June and hopefully it is at the dealer early this week for pickup.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:59 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mcrompton
I ordered a black on black in May, it was built around mid-June and hopefully it is at the dealer early this week for pickup.
Will you let us know delivery possession date? Those of us with ants in our pants are looking for patterns/trends. Thanks.
billyt1963 (07-01-2018)
Old 07-01-2018, 08:32 AM
Instructor

Will you let us know delivery possession date? Those of us with ants in our pants are looking for patterns/trends. Thanks.
Absolutely
Old 07-02-2018, 07:17 PM
Cruisin'

Dealer finally called and said the black on black Advance is in and will be ready for delivery tomorrow. Built on the first week of June, a full 4 four weeks to dealer delivery.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:49 PM
Racer

Dacar,

Congratulations!! I know tomorrow probably can't come fast enough.

Billy
Old 07-02-2018, 10:53 PM
Instructor

Dealer finally called and said the black on black Advance is in and will be ready for delivery tomorrow. Built on the first week of June, a full 4 four weeks to dealer delivery.
Can you let us know the state and/or the town you池e in? It seems some parts of the country with higher population densities may get faster delivery.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:07 PM
Pro

As has been said many times by car buying "experts," it's always best to wait until the last few days in the month to make a deal because of the pressure on dealerships to get rid of inventory before getting allocations for the next month.

If this is the case, I think my plan to take delivery no later than November 9, 2018 (a Friday) (due to going out of town that weekend) might just get screwed up. Let's just say it takes 4 weeks from factory to dealer, I would have to sign a contract around October 15. There goes trying to make a deal the last week or so in October.

Do I have that about right?
CheeseyPoofs McNut (07-03-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 05:52 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
I would think they'll have a decent inventory by early Nov - you should be able to find what you want on the lot by then.
birdonamission (07-03-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 07:38 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
I would think they'll have a decent inventory by early Nov - you should be able to find what you want on the lot by then.
That's what I'm hoping, too. Was just a tad concern since the car continues to be in such high demand. I just have to take my chill pill twice a day like it says on the bottle and remember this is just July and the car only showed up at the dealerships a mere weeks ago.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:49 AM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts
Looks like some colors are still hard to find. Acura builds the RDX all in the same colors at the same time. So we have to wait until they build for example, Pearl White with Espresso and ship those out. They are currently trying to get as many out as possible but some color combinations have not even made it to our state yet. I am told we will receive those colors this week and early next week. I do see a trend of several cars just sitting on the dealer lots and not moving, which means some colors are not as popular as the dealers may have thought. It is easy to pick up a Red A-Spec here in my area.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:13 AM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Hou-RL
Looks like some colors are still hard to find. Acura builds the RDX all in the same colors at the same time. So we have to wait until they build for example, Pearl White with Espresso and ship those out. They are currently trying to get as many out as possible but some color combinations have not even made it to our state yet. I am told we will receive those colors this week and early next week. I do see a trend of several cars just sitting on the dealer lots and not moving, which means some colors are not as popular as the dealers may have thought. It is easy to pick up a Red A-Spec here in my area.
apparently black is hard to find right now.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:52 PM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Dizzyg12

apparently black is hard to find right now.
Interesting. My local dealer has 7 blacks on their lot, 3 A-Specs, 2 Advance and 2 Tech
Old 07-03-2018, 05:16 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by starlord
Interesting. My local dealer has 7 blacks on their lot, 3 A-Specs, 2 Advance and 2 Tech
I知 in Delaware. Pa/nj/de/md have none available. I can put a deposit on one and wait, or take the blue. I知 leaning to blue anyway.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:24 AM
Cruisin'

Update on my delivery; salesman made a mistake and our Advance was NOT delivered [!] he showed the the transport update on the dealer computer; the transporter company changed the delivery slot from 6/29-7/4 to 7/9-7/13. I'm guessing they don't have any other RDX to deliver to my dealer, either that or there's damage to it and they need time to get it repaired. Wife says she's willing to wait-otherwise I would go to another dealer to purchase.an in-stock vehicle. I made an /Acura website inquiry about the delivery delay[ vehicle was built a month ago now] but doubt that will do anything-per text message my inquiry has been assigned to a Chat manager.
Old 07-08-2018, 10:04 AM
Instructor

Update on my delivery; salesman made a mistake and our Advance was NOT delivered [!] he showed the the transport update on the dealer computer; the transporter company changed the delivery slot from 6/29-7/4 to 7/9-7/13. I'm guessing they don't have any other RDX to deliver to my dealer, either that or there's damage to it and they need time to get it repaired. Wife says she's willing to wait-otherwise I would go to another dealer to purchase.an in-stock vehicle. I made an /Acura website inquiry about the delivery delay[ vehicle was built a month ago now] but doubt that will do anything-per text message my inquiry has been assigned to a Chat manager.
That is awful. Not just because of the disappointment but the way it unfolded. Something feels a bit odd about it all. You池e in for a penny in for a pound now though it seems? Otherwise you could be back in the same place as before by going to another dealer. Hope it all works out and you get another only better surprise soon.
Old 07-08-2018, 10:10 AM
Instructor

Don't want to change the subject -- that last reply was very interesting, BTW [never would've thought about that trains-waiting-to-be-filled stuff, etc.]) -- but wondered if you all who are waiting for your car to arrive from the factory have a signed, finalized sales contract already and now just waiting to take delivery, OR if you won't be doing the contract until the car arrives. I forgot the sequence of things.

The reason I ask is because if your finalized sales contract includes a trade-in, what happens to the agreed-upon amount you're getting for the trade-in if you have to drive it around for a while until the new RDX is available for pick up.
I signed a purchase agreement but did not have to put any $ down. Dealer made no issue of how many miles my car would have by the time of the hand off. Knowing this could be a concern, as I left the dealership I assured them I壇 limit my miles while waiting for delivery of the new car.
Old 07-08-2018, 10:15 AM
Pro

what are they giving your for inconveniencing you with a salesman mistake? If you don稚 know, then ask!!!!! Sounds like they might have something that could soothe your frustration, yeah?
Old 07-08-2018, 10:16 AM
Racer

Dacar,

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully they will meet the next date or you can get something extra for your trouble.

Billy
Old 07-08-2018, 04:03 PM
Instructor

I too am still waiting, original window for delivery was 6/27-7/2. No car or updated ETA at this point. It also was built later than originally expected.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:33 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mcrompton
I too am still waiting, original window for delivery was 6/27-7/2. No car or updated ETA at this point. It also was built later than originally expected.
do you know the actual build date, and do you have a VIN? My sales guy told me once it痴 built (7/14 I知 told) I値l have a VIN he値l give me.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:42 PM
Racer

I reached out to my salesman yesterday, just to say hi, and to check on the build for my vehicle. He said it is still on for 7/15.

Billy
romer (07-08-2018)
Old 07-08-2018, 06:16 PM
Instructor

do you know the actual build date, and do you have a VIN? My sales guy told me once it痴 built (7/14 I知 told) I値l have a VIN he値l give me.
No VIN when I presigned on 6/21. Not sure if the dealer has it by now or not
Old 07-08-2018, 06:39 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I got a VIN after I gave them a deposit as it was en route. They will have access to a vin once it leaves the factory. And it just arrived yesterday! They are holding it for me until I close at the end of the month. Yes I went and saw it.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:41 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Fury63
I got a VIN after I gave them a deposit as it was en route. They will have access to a vin once it leaves the factory. And it just arrived yesterday! They are holding it for me until I close at the end of the month. Yes I went and saw it.
Congratulations. Make sure they don't let people take it out on test drives...LOL.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:53 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Congratulations. Make sure they don't let people take it out on test drives...LOL.
Thank you. I知 excited. Yes I made it clear and they agreed to keep it in the back. They only use one vehicle for test drives.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:01 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Fury63

Thank you. I知 excited. Yes I made it clear and they agreed to keep it in the back. They only use one vehicle for test drives.

Quick Reply: Build date to dealer deliver time estimates?