Auto Start/Stop

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 08:26 AM
2022 MDX Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts
Auto Start/Stop

Anyone have the software (or hardware) chops to permanently disable?

Considering removing the button from console to see if it can be triggered somehow automatically via acc power.

Wonder if anyone else is as annoyed as myself.

Joe
Old 10-27-2018, 09:00 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
I was wondering when we were going to have a thread about this.

No. No one has the chops to disable it.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:18 AM
2022 MDX Advanced

Call me optimistic, but there must be a way.

Hardware mod mod at the switch, while not elegant, must be possible.

I may may be the first!
Old 10-27-2018, 09:36 AM
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 51 Posts
I really assume that this jumper would work (video below on a ford F150) - what someone needs to do is a DIY on the panel removal, as I'm not willing to break tabs to try this myself.

Old 10-27-2018, 10:05 AM
2022 MDX Advanced

Originally Posted by SVTour
I really assume that this jumper would work (video below on a ford F150) - what someone needs to do is a DIY on the panel removal, as I'm not willing to break tabs to try this myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf0dQEUg9VQ
Nice find! Yeah it’s not obvious how to remove. May try this weekend. I have a bunch of trim removal tools from my audio install days.
Old 10-27-2018, 12:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts
Don't assume at all this the Ford will be anything like the Acura. Could be two totally different electrical approaches to how it's turned on and off.
Old 10-27-2018, 06:50 PM
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by joeliu2003
Nice find! Yeah it’s not obvious how to remove. May try this weekend. I have a bunch of trim removal tools from my audio install days.
I'd say if you do it...take notes.

Originally Posted by securityguy
Don't assume at all this the Ford will be anything like the Acura. Could be two totally different electrical approaches to how it's turned on and off.
Agreed - but simple electronics would say that a push button is a push button. Simple test would be to hold the button and turn the car on...see if this turns off when started. If it does, continue to hold the button, if it does not turn back on then we should be okay to do this.

I'd check myself but my wife took the car for the weekend, leaving me a bachelor. I know, I know...it's a tough life sometimes.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:14 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Smile What's the fuss??

I don't get it. What's the big deal with using the Stop/Start OFF button when you first start up the vehicle?? I have a TLX and a new RDX, both with the feature. After starting one of the first things I do is push the button on the
console and disable the feature. It stays that way...disabled...as we all should know....until you shut the engine down. It has become a simple....yes...wish it didn't have it...but, simple "movement" to push the button each time
I start up my Acura's. Technology...isn't it just wonderful??? LOL!!

Oh, did you figure out I hate the system....and I'm pretty darn sure that it saves so little gas. Not worth it to me at all.....and sometimes IF left on the system can "stumble" when starting back up at a stop light and leave you pissed
that you can't get going like "NORMAL!"
The following users liked this post:
kurtatx (10-30-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 03:15 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
I don't get it. What's the big deal with using the Stop/Start OFF button when you first start up the vehicle?? I have a TLX and a new RDX, both with the feature. After starting one of the first things I do is push the button on the
console and disable the feature. It stays that way...disabled...as we all should know....until you shut the engine down. It has become a simple....yes...wish it didn't have it...but, simple "movement" to push the button each time
I start up my Acura's. Technology...isn't just wonderful??? LOL!!

Oh, did you figure out I hate the system....and I'm pretty darn sure that it saves so little gas. Not worth it to me at all.....and sometimes IF left on the system can "stumble" when starting back up at a stop light and leave you pissed
that you can't get going like "NORMAL!"
If I'm not driving with spirit, I leave it off. It's not the most pleasant thing, but it is not as bad as some make it out to be here.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:10 PM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
I'd say if you do it...take notes.

Agreed - but simple electronics would say that a push button is a push button. Simple test would be to hold the button and turn the car on...see if this turns off when started. If it does, continue to hold the button, if it does not turn back on then we should be okay to do this.

I'd check myself but my wife took the car for the weekend, leaving me a bachelor. I know, I know...it's a tough life sometimes.
Yeah, you'd think so, but manufacturers have ways of complicating things. Take the sensor on my riding mower's seat, for example. You'd think it would be a simple, two-wire, normally-open switch that closed when someone sat in the seat to allow the engine to start and blades to engage. But, no. It's actually got SIX wires running to TWO switches that change states opposite of one another (the NO contacts close and the NC contacts open when you sit in the seat). If you remove the switch and install jumpers, the "computer" is smart enough to figure out that the switch has been bypassed (I assume when it no longer sees a change of state after a programmed amount of time) and will prevent the mower from starting.
securityguy (10-30-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 05:29 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
I gave start-stop an honest try, but am now developing the habit of turning it off as part of the start up process. Doing so is no biggie.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:30 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
If you finish your stop with a very soft touch on the brake pedal, rather that a hard push all the way down, it won't engage. Just try to lighten up on your braking. I found this out because I brake softly as a habit and the car was telling me to push harder on the brake to engage auto start. Honestly I don't mind the feature that much.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:23 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
I gave start-stop an honest try, but am now developing the habit of turning it off as part of the start up process. Doing so is no biggie.
Yep.....that's what I've been doing almost from day 1. Gave it barely a try....knew I wouldn't like it. I already had a TLX that had the same system and console button...learned from that one real quick. I taught my wife as
part of her start up process. Just like releasing the electric parking brake. Just one more button/lever to move before hitting the "D" button.
Madd Dog (10-31-2018)
Old 10-31-2018, 07:46 PM
SWF
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Colin G
If you finish your stop with a very soft touch on the brake pedal, rather that a hard push all the way down, it won't engage. Just try to lighten up on your braking. I found this out because I brake softly as a habit and the car was telling me to push harder on the brake to engage auto start. Honestly I don't mind the feature that much.
Noticed this the other day. Good catch.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:54 PM
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I actually disliked this at first, but as long as it's cool out, I've grown to like it. I like the quiet when the motor is off, and if I don't want it to cut off, I go easy on the brake. Also, if the light is about to change I just lift slightly on the pedal to start it up before it's time to go.
romer (11-01-2018)
Old 11-03-2018, 04:19 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
I have the tendency to push the pedal lightly to keep it from auto-stopping based on how long I think I’ll be stopped. I.e. - when I’m coming to a temporary stop such as a light I know is about to turn green or has already turned green but just waiting on the 10 cars ahead to go when I pull up, or a right hand turn behind a couple cars that are yielding temporarily but can go on red. My biggest peeve is pulling into the garage or a parking space to park, right before I’m about to shut the car down. This will get some chuckles, if you’re not already laughing at me, but I have my right hand on P as I’m pulling in to beat the auto-off. I can’t stand that last stop then start. If it does shut off I do like the trick of hitting the power button, foregoing the park button, as it puts it in park automatically.

Ok I’ve made it a game at this point. At the same time we’re 2500 miles in, so still experimenting. I do have self awareness, and know that the above comes across crazy, and I’m a good candidate to start pushing the deactivation button at startup, just before an intervention and straight jacket show up.

Last edited by Master47; 11-03-2018 at 04:22 AM.