ACC + auto idle stop requires manual acceleration to wake up

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 01:25 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ACC + auto idle stop requires manual acceleration to wake up

The RDX has been my first car with Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC), and I really like it with the stop-and-go traffic in Seattle. Unfortunately, I've noticed a "quirk" that isn't documented in the manual or mentioned here on the boards yet: If ACC is enabled and auto idle stop kicks in when all traffic is stopped, then when the car in front me starts again, I'm still not moving! I have to manually push the accelerator to wake it up and get going. Having to do this every time during stop-and-go traffic is no fun. Is anyone else having this issue? I guess in the meantime, I can just disable auto idle stop. Thanks.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:47 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by alantdc
The RDX has been my first car with Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC), and I really like it with the stop-and-go traffic in Seattle. Unfortunately, I've noticed a "quirk" that isn't documented in the manual or mentioned here on the boards yet: If ACC is enabled and auto idle stop kicks in when all traffic is stopped, then when the car in front me starts again, I'm still not moving! I have to manually push the accelerator to wake it up and get going. Having to do this every time during stop-and-go traffic is no fun. Is anyone else having this issue? I guess in the meantime, I can just disable auto idle stop. Thanks.
Works the same way on my 18 CR-V, with ACC, but without the idle stop feature. When the car in front stops for more than 5 seconds, then starts up, you have to either touch the gas pedal, or the cruse control button to restart the forward motion, I would assume it is similar on the RDX. These is not a true autonomous cars.
The following users liked this post:
subin (01-10-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 06:01 AM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
I have not had that experience. But I have experimented with the auto brake hold and idle stop, etc. Once, whith both engaged, waiting during a construction break, the idle stop started up by itself, which released the brake hold.

Since then, I simply don’t combine stuff. If I am on the highway, and I put ACC on, idle stop and brake hold are off. If brake hold is on, idle is off, and vice versa. They are easy enough to turn on and off, but can be unpredictable if more than one is on at a time.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:33 PM
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
Mine works the same way as yours. What I have noticed is that if the car stopped at traffic light with a car in front of me, if the stop is more than 15 seconds or so, the dash would prompt you that the car has stopped. When this happened, you would need to either hit the "resume" or press the gas peddle to get going again.

I have tried also "Brake Hold", it works and once the car completely stopped, I no longer need to hold the brake peddle. But, it is too weird for me (especially using it with ACC), so I have stopped using it.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by subin
...I have tried also "Brake Hold", it works and once the car completely stopped, I no longer need to hold the brake peddle. But, it is too weird for me (especially using it with ACC), so I have stopped using it.
I'm with you on this one. Brake hold just feels WRONG to me so I don't use it either. With multiple vehicles in the family I feel it would become easy for use of the feature to become habit and not having it in all vehicles could result in an 'unhappy' experience under the right circumstances. JMO
Old 01-10-2019, 04:37 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by MI-RDX
I'm with you on this one. Brake hold just feels WRONG to me so I don't use it either. With multiple vehicles in the family I feel it would become easy for use of the feature to become habit and not having it in all vehicles could result in an 'unhappy' experience under the right circumstances. JMO
yeah, I have pretty much given up on it too. I also never started the walk-away lock. I just know I would forget when driving the other car.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:49 PM
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but you guys are running ACC while city driving? I thought it was designed for highway. The car actually slows, gently, to a stop while in city traffic? I didn't think it engaged until 25 mph, according to the documentation I've seen.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:54 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by markm929
Pardon my ignorance, but you guys are running ACC while city driving? I thought it was designed for highway. The car actually slows, gently, to a stop while in city traffic? I didn't think it engaged until 25 mph, according to the documentation I've seen.
Yes, It will slow the car to a complete stop, then resume back to preset speed,keeping the preset distance from the leading car. You can't actually set the speed at a seed lower than 25mph, but the ACC will bring ti down to 0 and back up again in stop and go traffic. Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
markm929 (01-10-2019)