2019 RDX rear window shattering

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2021, 06:59 PM
2nd Gear

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
2019 RDX rear window shattering

Anyone else ha e their rear window just shatter?
I got into my RDX after work, closed the door and my rear window shattered. Large hole. Was not hot nor cold out. I am in Ontario Canada
Anyone else have this issue or know of someone who has?
The following 5 users liked this post by Jaidyn9:
Acuraproblems1 (01-15-2022), Cresy (02-19-2024), Lisa Jessie (01-26-2023), Lpacyna (03-04-2022), Sonya P (03-22-2022)
Old 10-26-2021, 07:55 PM
OG

Received 162 Likes on 100 Posts
I think facebook rdx groups or here had a few guys that this happened to.
The following users liked this post:
Jaidyn9 (10-26-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 03:00 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
I hope you're able to have it replaced promptly. Someone posted a couple months ago that their rear window broke and a replacement would not be available for months.

Welcome to the New America (i.e., Soviet Union).
Jaidyn9 (10-28-2021)
Old 10-28-2021, 11:49 PM
RDX A-Spec

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs down Same

I had same thing happen to my wife RDX. We though it was someone/something hitting the rear glass while parked in closed parking lot at work. Nothing on security camera showed anyone even close to car. But couldn't see when the glass breaks. We had to pay to get it replaced. Now i think it must be a defect in the glass. Here's a picture looks same like yours.

Acuraproblems1 (01-15-2022)
Old 10-29-2021, 08:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 670 Likes on 416 Posts
The fact that the panoramic sunroof spontaneously explodes, it's not too far fetched to think that the rear windshield wouldn't do the same. @Rahul Patel How much was it to get replaced, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 10-29-2021, 09:37 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
My '19 Advance was rear-ended at 45 mph while stopped. Amazing that the impact didn't faze the rear glass! The whole tailgate was replaced, and they transferred the glass to the new tailgate. Over $12,000 in damage. Granted, the glass was not hit directly, but....

Definitely something odd going on here with the rear glass spontaneously breaking. IIRC, we now have two reported, I wonder how many others that are not members here have had this happen?

EFR (10-29-2021)
Old 10-29-2021, 08:28 PM
Skeptic

I've heard of it happening with a lot of SUVs. Not unique to the RDX..Rear side windows too. It can happens spontaneously in people's garages over night. I think it's just improper glazing. Not enough freedom in the seals to relieve stress on the glass.
Old 10-30-2021, 12:33 AM
RDX A-Spec

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think the cost was around 350$.

JB in AZ- That sucks getting rear ended for someone else careless driving.. But that damage looks not too bad especially at 45 mph. Did you have any frame damage?
Old 10-30-2021, 10:13 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rahul Patel
I think the cost was around 350$.

JB in AZ- That sucks getting rear ended for someone else careless driving.. But that damage looks not too bad especially at 45 mph. Did you have any frame damage?
I remember when you originally posted about your rear glass.

Yes, this happened back in April, and there was frame damage. They had to cut out portions (with a torch) of the rear "frame" and weld in new pieces. Much more damage (suspension, etc.) under the rear that is not visible in the picture I posted in this thread.

I posted a thread about it here, somewhere (LOL) but bottom line was this:

I wasn't getting a rental car as the other party essentially did not have insurance. My ins. covered the repairs under "uninsured motorist", but I don't carry rental car coverage. It was going to take 6+ weeks to repair, and I couldn't be without a car that long, (rental cars very hard to find, and very expensive if found) AND I wasn't keen on keeping the repaired RDX anyway...so I talked to several new car dealers, my favorite one (Ford Lincoln) included. (Best dealership I have ever dealt with in ~40 years, and probably as many new car purchases + service/warranty experiences!) Surprisingly, many dealerships said they could take my RDX in on trade, and would wait for the repairs to be done. As luck would have it, the Lincoln dealer just got in a '21 Corsair in my favorite color, RED, and equipped as I would likely have ordered it. They deducted less than $2,000 from what I would have expected to get (before the accident), and the next day, I was no longer an RDX owner. AND I got several thousand $s off the Corsair's MSRP. This was just as the chip shortage started to become big news. I am glad to get back to my favorite dealer, and I love the Corsair.
Old 10-30-2021, 11:06 AM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
I hope you're able to have it replaced promptly. Someone posted a couple months ago that their rear window broke and a replacement would not be available for months.

Welcome to the New America (i.e., Soviet Union).
This is a double whammy! Losing the window and then losing using of the car for a period of time awaiting on a replacement window. The RDX is assembled in Ohio, so I would think that a replacement window would not be that far up the supply chain.
Old 10-30-2021, 01:02 PM
Skeptic

On Wednesday, I heard a SNAP and there was a star crack in the middle of the windshield. Looking at it. I noticed another little chip at the bottom of the windshield I never noticed before. Star crack is about 3/4".

Satellite guy came and said he can't fix it or it'll just travel. Having it replaced in the shop next week. They claim they will use OEM glass and do the calibration. I hope so.
Old 10-30-2021, 02:06 PM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
I had a small stone big enough and traveling at sufficient velocity on the interstate to crack the windshield so it needed to be replaced at Safelite. They got all of the front imaging and motion sensors calibrated just fine after replacement. I have become very leery of any truck on the interstate that is carrying a load of stone, sand, blacktop, or general refuse for fear of their contents hitting the windshield, even though often they have a cover over their load. I move two lanes over to pass or slow down enough to increase the distance. As it is, my new windshield has gotten tiny nearly microscopic cracks that are only visible when the sun or headlights hit it a certain way. I expect that is from tiny particles shed by these trucks. It is not bad enough to diminish visibility though.
Old 11-08-2021, 07:38 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This happened to me a few weeks ago. It was parked in my driveway. I am also in Ontario. I had it fixed but now every time I raise or lower the tailgate I can hear little pieces of glass sliding around. It's pretty annoying. I think even if it is a defect there is no way that Acura will replace it for free.
Old 01-21-2022, 05:09 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2020 RDX rear window spontaneously shattered

Same thing happened to me. Hoping Acura helps 🙏

QUOTE=Jaidyn9;16767457]Anyone else ha e their rear window just shatter?
I got into my RDX after work, closed the door and my rear window shattered. Large hole. Was not hot nor cold out. I am in Ontario Canada
[/QUOTE]
Attached Thumbnails 2019 RDX rear window shattering-1ce4fc8b-6f24-45ee-a100-6522a123148f.jpeg  
Old 01-21-2022, 05:39 PM
Retired Geezer

Received 126 Likes on 83 Posts

Me too. On December 20th. My Ottawa dealer says this is a known defect and will be replaced under warranty by Acura Canada. There will be a long wait for repair as the rear glass is back ordered due to a large demand and Covid delays. Incidentally the warranty replacement has to be approved by Acura Canada first. At my dealer this is handled by the body shop.
Old 01-21-2022, 05:43 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 4th Acura

Me too. On December 20th. My Ottawa dealer says this is a known defect and will be replaced under warranty by Acura Canada. There will be a long wait for repair as the rear glass is back ordered due to a large demand and Covid delays. Incidentally the warranty replacement has to be approved by Acura Canada first. At my dealer this is handled by the body shop.
Good to know, I think! What is the actual defect? the glass or how it is installed?
Old 01-21-2022, 05:59 PM
Retired Geezer

Received 126 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by JB in AZ
Good to know, I think! What is the actual defect? the glass or how it is installed?

The clerk who dealt with me was short on specifics. My suspicion is that extreme Canadian cold and the 3.7 mm glass thickness are probably culprits. When I get the dealer repair done I will interrogate someone in the know and report back.
Old 01-25-2022, 07:33 AM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
same thing happened to me after work 1-24-22. got in, closed the door, and the rear window shattered just like yours

Old 01-25-2022, 08:47 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by RDXer13
same thing happened to me after work 1-24-22. got in, closed the door, and the rear window shattered just like yours
Sorry to hear this!

Some more info would be helpful. If I am not mistaken, this might be the first that was identified as happening as a door was being closed??? Interior pressure from closing the door caused it? If so, I wonder if one of the hidden vents designed to vent interior air was frozen closed, or otherwise compromised causing the pressure? What year is your RDX? What was the outside temperature when it happened? Other weather conditions? Was it cloudy? Sun hitting the car, or specifically the rear glass?

Last edited by JB in AZ; 01-25-2022 at 08:51 AM. Reason: added questions
Old 01-26-2022, 07:35 AM
OG

Originally Posted by RDXer13
It has happened in all diff scenarios, closed, sitting, hot temps, cold temps.
There's even a youtube video of a rdx guy sitting in car and it blows out while he's writing something down in the drivers seat.

an acura tech that works at a dealer said they change glass companies for the seal in 2021 plus so less likely to happen.
I havent had it on mine yet BUT mines a cpo so it could have happened and been replaced... no idea

Funny story but after getting our RDX i saw all the annoying facebook posts about the glass people complainign about this (most didnt even have it happen yet) so i called geico who ive been with for OVER 20 yrs and only have dont small glass claims & dropped my comprehensive to $100
Then about 2 weeks later i just had salt chunk hit my window n crack it.
They had geico special investigators call me and i had to go on record ... they thought i dropped it then waiting to file the windshield but i explained to them about the back glass.
Crazy times lol but the woman was cool about it & going to safelite thursday for new windshield (before our foot of snow)

I'll see if they get alot of the rear glass claims.

Acura in canada has been replacing the rears under warranty but in america i think the reaction is to call ins so some dealers dont get the calls about it

Last edited by Type X; 01-26-2022 at 07:38 AM.
Old 01-28-2022, 11:39 AM
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaidyn9
Anyone else ha e their rear window just shatter?
Yep, happened to me last winter. It was pretty cold, so I just assumed it was because of that, but I'm not 100% sure. My insurance rep had that "yeah sure" tone of voice when I reported it. I just came out of work and it was shattered. FYI when replacing it Safelite left all the old glass inside the door, they said there was no way to take the hatch apart and the only other alternative was to have Acura put in a completely new hatch. I assumed it was BS and didn't care much as it was a lease anyway. Sucked, had to wait months for a replacement, driving around with the piss poor taping that Safelite did.

PS: Mine broke just like yours, and like I see most others, somewhat in the center.

Last edited by spinedoc777; 01-28-2022 at 11:41 AM.
Old 01-30-2022, 06:42 PM
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Same thing happened to me today. Got in my car, closed the door and immediately heard the pop and shatter. Rear window just blew out. 20+ years of driving and probably as many cars, and this has never happened to me before.

Going to call my insurance soon and follow up with the dealer when they open in the morning to see what their experience with this is. I’ve heard multiple things from them saying they have to replace the whole hatch, to dealers not even getting involved and just dumping it on insurance. I’m even seeing posts that the glass is currently on backorder, so we’ll see.

Old 01-30-2022, 07:16 PM
OG

Originally Posted by D-RDX
Same thing happened to me today. Got in my car, closed the door and immediately heard the pop and shatter. Rear window just blew out. 20+ years of driving and probably as many cars, and this has never happened to me before.

Going to call my insurance soon and follow up with the dealer when they open in the morning to see what their experience with this is. I’ve heard multiple things from them saying they have to replace the whole hatch, to dealers not even getting involved and just dumping it on insurance. I’m even seeing posts that the glass is currently on backorder, so we’ll see.

sucks, where u located? I didnt want to clean my back window today in nj i just spun it around n let the sun clean it.

all these posts giving me anxiety 😂
Old 01-30-2022, 07:38 PM
5th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Same thing happened to my wife yesterday. She was actually driving when it happened. She described it as a loud thud, almost like the sound of ice falling off the top of a car followed by crackling. The glass is backordered for several weeks both at dealership and safelite. Dealership did admit they have had three other RDXs in for the same issue. I called Client Relations and the lady I spoke to told me Acura is aware of the problem and there likely will be a recall or TSB.

Old 01-30-2022, 07:51 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Type X
sucks, where u located? I didnt want to clean my back window today in nj i just spun it around n let the sun clean it.

all these posts giving me anxiety 😂
I’m in NY. This is my second winter with the car. Had no issues last year with it thankfully.
Old 01-30-2022, 07:53 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by avi_tsx
Same thing happened to my wife yesterday. She was actually driving when it happened. She described it as a loud thud, almost like the sound of ice falling off the top of a car followed by crackling. The glass is backordered for several weeks both at dealership and safelite. Dealership did admit they have had three other RDXs in for the same issue. I called Client Relations and the lady I spoke to told me Acura is aware of the problem and there likely will be a recall or TSB.
Ouch, a several week backorder? I guess that’s the same thing they’re going to tell me when I call in the morning. Wonder if they’ll give me a loaner or something. It’s times like this when I miss having multiple cars.
Old 01-31-2022, 08:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 694 Likes on 536 Posts

Will Acura be covering this under warranty?
re-call will be expensive, they wont do recall.
Old 01-31-2022, 04:34 PM
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by russianDude
Will Acura be covering this under warranty?
re-call will be expensive, they wont do recall.
Mine happened last winter, about a year ago, and the dealer had zero interest in submitting it as a warranty claim. They wouldn't even go through my insurance, I would have to pay cash and then get reimbursed by my insurance. Maybe since then they've updated it to a warranty item, I'm not sure.
Old 01-31-2022, 06:58 PM
5th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spinedoc777
Mine happened last winter, about a year ago, and the dealer had zero interest in submitting it as a warranty claim. They wouldn't even go through my insurance, I would have to pay cash and then get reimbursed by my insurance. Maybe since then they've updated it to a warranty item, I'm not sure.
Still waiting on my dealership to get back to me. The service person I spoke to was more than helpful so far. He acknowledged this was a known issue which is a huge first step, we all know how much dealerships hate to admit something like that. I spoke to Acura client services and that representative also said Acura knows of this issue. I don't know how high up she was in the command chain but she told me they are expecting some sort of TSB or recall to resolve this issue. Grain of salt since nothing has been done yet. Worst case scenerio it's covered by insurance so at least theres that.
Old 01-31-2022, 08:05 PM
Advanced

Still waiting on my dealership to get back to me. The service person I spoke to was more than helpful so far. He acknowledged this was a known issue which is a huge first step, we all know how much dealerships hate to admit something like that. I spoke to Acura client services and that representative also said Acura knows of this issue. I don't know how high up she was in the command chain but she told me they are expecting some sort of TSB or recall to resolve this issue. Grain of salt since nothing has been done yet. Worst case scenerio it's covered by insurance so at least theres that.
My dealer is taking the car in this weds. Gonna put me in a loaner. The glass is on backorder with no eta. They aren’t acknowledging it as a warranty claim so I had to put it through insurance. I’m prob going to have to fight with geico to pay the full amount like I did with my Audi, since they only want to pay the discounted aftermarket glass and Safelite pricing. Worst case I’ll come partial out of pocket but I’d rather have oem glass and the dealer do the work.
I also called client relations and logged the complaint just so they’re aware of another case. The lady acted like this was the first she’s heard of it but you know how that goes. The more people who report it, the faster it turns to tsb or recall.
Old 01-31-2022, 10:28 PM
Burning Brakes

This is absolutely BS. This is way too common of an occurrence for Acura to say it's not their fault. Nobody should have to go thru insurance or pay out of pocket for Acura's own crap design and/or glass used.
Old 01-31-2022, 10:58 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by leomio2.0
This is absolutely BS. This is way too common of an occurrence for Acura to say it's not their fault. Nobody should have to go thru insurance or pay out of pocket for Acura's own crap design and/or glass used.
I agree. However, fighting with them will do nothing but tie up the repair even longer. It’s he said/she said since (other than dashcam footage) there’s no way to prove that the glass is exploding on its own. We just need more people to call or email corporate and report the issue. Only then will they see the pattern and create a solution.
Old 02-06-2022, 07:40 PM
2nd Gear

2020 rdx rear window shatter

Here in Canada winter
open the tailgate and window shatter called acura dealership and they told me alot of 2019 and 2020 rdx rear window shatter is a know issue and is cover under warranty and rear gate making noise in winter when open also under warranty
Old 02-06-2022, 10:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 527 Likes on 339 Posts
My dealer is taking the car in this weds. Gonna put me in a loaner. The glass is on backorder with no eta. They aren’t acknowledging it as a warranty claim so I had to put it through insurance. I’m prob going to have to fight with geico to pay the full amount like I did with my Audi, since they only want to pay the discounted aftermarket glass and Safelite pricing. Worst case I’ll come partial out of pocket but I’d rather have oem glass and the dealer do the work.
I also called client relations and logged the complaint just so they’re aware of another case. The lady acted like this was the first she’s heard of it but you know how that goes. The more people who report it, the faster it turns to tsb or recall.
This may be a case where getting aftermarket glass is better. Knowing Acura they won't actually fix the underlying issue and will just put the same glass in again and down the road it shatters.
Old 02-06-2022, 10:15 PM
Burning Brakes

I agree. However, fighting with them will do nothing but tie up the repair even longer. It’s he said/she said since (other than dashcam footage) there’s no way to prove that the glass is exploding on its own. We just need more people to call or email corporate and report the issue. Only then will they see the pattern and create a solution.
Originally Posted by Taichi
Here in Canada winter
open the tailgate and window shatter called acura dealership and they told me alot of 2019 and 2020 rdx rear window shatter is a know issue and is cover under warranty and rear gate making noise in winter when open also under warranty
If Acura Canada admits the issue, it's completely incorrigible if Acura USA refuses the rectify the issue. Perhaps this can be the next class action lawsuit. Hope the ones who had to pay out of pocket for this failure on Acura's part can recoup their money and then some.
Old 02-06-2022, 10:41 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by leomio2.0
If Acura Canada admits the issue, it's completely incorrigible if Acura USA refuses the rectify the issue. Perhaps this can be the next class action lawsuit. Hope the ones who had to pay out of pocket for this failure on Acura's part can recoup their money and then some.
I live in winnipeg manitoba in Canada our acura dealership has amit it is a know issue. They are covering free under warranty. He said most of the 2019 and 2020 are all doing that so if you have a problem contact them to contact the dealer where you are located
Old 02-07-2022, 07:00 PM
-- Instructor --

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts
Had my rear window crumble last Friday evening. It has been cold here in the 12-30F for a while. Started the RDX remotely (via the app) and when I closed the driver's door, I heard the glass plummet in. I called my dealer service department first thing on Saturday morning and they recommended a place nearby. They had the glass and replaced it ASAP. Went through my insurance. Visited a store nearby who had great CCTV camera on that night and no one came near it while parked.

Spontaneous destruction?

Regards -------------
Old 02-08-2022, 08:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Another case, and another US dealer not stating it's a common issue and covered under warranty ... WTF. Anyone that's had the issue, I'd save the receipt/proof of payment to the insurance co./shop. What needs to get done to light a fire under Acura US's ass to get this resolved?
Geohutch (11-25-2023)
Old 02-08-2022, 10:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 694 Likes on 536 Posts
Originally Posted by TheLevelOne
Had my rear window crumble last Friday evening. It has been cold here in the 12-30F for a while. Started the RDX remotely (via the app) and when I closed the driver's door, I heard the glass plummet in. I called my dealer service department first thing on Saturday morning and they recommended a place nearby. They had the glass and replaced it ASAP. Went through my insurance. Visited a store nearby who had great CCTV camera on that night and no one came near it while parked.

Spontaneous destruction?

Regards -------------

Did they put an OEM glass? You can still open a case with Acura, you should not have to use your insurance for this and pay deductible?
Old 02-09-2022, 04:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,416 Likes on 1,868 Posts
Originally Posted by russianDude
Did they put an OEM glass? You can still open a case with Acura, you should not have to use your insurance for this and pay deductible?
When I needed my defective keyfob replaced, my dealership would not honor the warranty because I could not prove that I didn't drop it and that's why it wasn't working. How much do you want to bet that they'd just say "well, we don't know that it wasn't smashed with a rock, so we can't replace it under warranty".

Quick Reply: 2019 RDX rear window shattering