19 RDX Advance AWD quick observations

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 06:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
19 RDX Advance AWD quick observations

so we picked up wife's RDX last Friday and I have driven it a little and wanted to put up a few quick observations. I will post something more thorough in a few weeks.

- interior quality is very good, the materials and design are top notch. The waterfall stack in the center is a tad obnoxious, but acceptable.
- seats are very comfortable and still trying to work out all the adjustments
- HUD is really nice, crips clean and bright, but I prefer the HUDs in the Genesis G80 sport, full color, I wish the AWD display could show in the HUD like on the RLX
- overall styling is nice, but the car looks like it has a bulbous front end and skinny rear this is very obvious as we park it in the same spot in the garage and we can feel the smaller rear cargo area compared to her 16
- I4 Turbo has nice linear pull and tranny is smooth and quick.
- main gauge cluster is nice and the German like full needle sweep is nice, they really need to go full LCD on the Advance trim and the physical dials give the gauge cluster a cheap feel.
- ride quality is very good, more complaint than her 16.
- NVH is not as good as her old 16 RDX Advance. The 4 banger noise under reasonable acceleration is very pronounced and road noise from the tires is also louder. Wife does not mind it, but to me it is a huge turn off.
- SH-AWD well I love it, always have been a fan and watching the SH-AWD display it is engaged a good deal of the time
- the new infotainment is really nice, but still need to get used to it. Still feels like Acura Head units are a tad underpowered in CPU. The Navigation is a nice step up, but I suspect for real navigation we will use her iPhone with CarPlay.
- ELS 3D is a considerable upgrade, much cleaner richer deeper than the her 16 or my 19 TLX ASPEC

overall very very nice direction from Acura and looking forward to next TLX with one exception, if they don’t do a V6 6G TLX or at least in a Type-S thean I am gone, I just don’t dig the 4 banger noise or roughness even compared to my 19 TLX ASPEC. She loves the RDX and it is a nice ride, but I will remain a sedan person even if my ASPEC TLX is what I need to live it’s for a while.

The following 4 users liked this post by KeithL:
chkelly (09-06-2018), Curious3GTL (08-27-2018), NBP04TL4ME (09-23-2018), ostrich (08-27-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 11:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Wanted to post a quick update. Around 1K miles on wife's 19 RDX Advance AWD and overall an exceptional vehicle. Ride quality is noticeably improved over her 16. The turbo makes acceleration very smooth and effortless, although noisy damn 4 banger it is. Once at cruising speed only road noise is a minor annoyance, but acceleration engine noise makes me not think near luxury vehicle.

The new Infotainment is nice and you get used to it farily quickly.

I do not like the MID, it always goes back to trip computer when you start the car and the annoying smaller verson of each screen as you rotate through is annoying. I miss the old Trip Information display that showed the MPG for the current and last trip.

The seats are excellent, very comfortable and supportive without being intrusively firm. Still getting used to all the darn seat adjustments.

The brakes while acceptable are a bit soft and could use some more grip initially.

What is a little annoying in I get in the car and the Brake Hold is down low and to the left and the Auto S/S is high to the right so initially I get in with arms flailing all over to get the settings engaged I want.

She loves the car and it is a great step for Acura.Amazing vehicle for the money.

It will be interesting to see the new TLX and when a Type-S comes along on whether I will upgrade or try out the G70 as that car is getting some awesome reviews. Genesis should be releasing their 2 SUVs over then next 1-3 years. I believe the first one will likely be a MDX competitor and then a smaller one.
The following users liked this post:
acuraada (09-22-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 10:37 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Regarding the brakes, i agree they are a bit soft. However, if you have to stand on them to stop quickly, the system dramatically increases he brake pressure and you’ll stop on a dime. Try it sometime.

i drove a Chevy Equinox rental on a weekend getaway and i was not used to the instant grab of its brakes. And man, as great as the RDX seats are—by far the best I have owned in a car—the Equinox seats were absolutely terrible. Too tight on my hips, making a 3 hour drive uncomfortable, and way too tight on my wife's shoulders, such that she had to lean forward frequently after an hour. Acura did good.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:23 AM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
More complaints about engine noise (which I agree with). It all adds insult to know this is deliberately piped in through the sound system and is not necessarily a lack of refinement, NVH tuning etc. We will have to collectively double down and find a way to unplug the module responsible.