2005 TL-Steering Rack problem- DFW, TX

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 11:23 AM
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2005 TL-Steering Rack problem- DFW, TX

Needing some advice, I just picked up a 2005 WDP TL, w/ 120k mi. Called acura of plano for the maintenance history, turns out I need to be replace the steering rack due to a leak; I was already suggested to the previous owner to get fixed (est 1200-1400 job w/refurb parts). What would be considered reasonable? Any mom and pop shops y'all recommend?
Old 02-13-2014, 10:49 AM
Dallas Chapter Leader (Midwest Region)

Received 142 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Hmb0048
Needing some advice, I just picked up a 2005 WDP TL, w/ 120k mi. Called acura of plano for the maintenance history, turns out I need to be replace the steering rack due to a leak; I was already suggested to the previous owner to get fixed (est 1200-1400 job w/refurb parts). What would be considered reasonable? Any mom and pop shops y'all recommend?
Go read my comment on the DFW area thread. Also has it had tranny pressure switches, trns filter, trans drain/refill, timing belt/waterpump etc.?
Old 02-13-2014, 11:51 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by NBP_BALLER
Go read my comment on the DFW area thread. Also has it had tranny pressure switches, trns filter, trans drain/refill, timing belt/waterpump etc.?
Please please please do the pressure switches, fluid and filter ASAP if it they haven't already been done! Make sure you transmission fluid is NOT brown.

It'll be a total of $80(Pressure switches) + $20(filter, gasket, spring) + $70-80(9 quarts DW-1 OEM fluid - Honda dealership is cheaper than an Acura Stealership)
= (180 + shipping)

It'll be preventive maintenance that can avoid having tranny issues and dropping another few thousand on a transmission which is what I'm currently dealing with
Old 02-13-2014, 05:00 PM
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Coins

Please please please do the pressure switches, fluid and filter ASAP if it they haven't already been done! Make sure you transmission fluid is NOT brown.

It'll be a total of $80(Pressure switches) + $20(filter, gasket, spring) + $70-80(9 quarts DW-1 OEM fluid - Honda dealership is cheaper than an Acura Stealership)
= (180 + shipping)

It'll be preventive maintenance that can avoid having tranny issues and dropping another few thousand on a transmission which is what I'm currently dealing with

[QUOTE="NBP_BALLER;14876044"]

Hey man, heres my advice. I am a mechanic and have worked at a dealer for 5 years. There are two reasons that your steering gear would mostl likely need replacment. 1. Leaking fluid(most common) 2. Internal wear/slack. Most likely you just have a leak and it is causing no harm whatsoever just a tiny leak that will probably never even drip on the ground. REMEMBER... the dealer will try and sell you anything if its leaking or worn. I had my gear replaced but it was just leaking, I had an aftermarket warranty tho. If its just leaking, I wouldnt replace it unless a dinky leak worries you. One of us can look at it one day, or i can. No biggie man.

- Much appreciated response NBP & Coins, is there any way that you could PM me your information NBP? I may take you up on that offer if you don't mind looking at my car. As far as I know these are the Major tunes ups the car had @100k at David Mcdavid of plano:
Recommended maintenance performed
Brake fluid flushed/changed
Four wheel alignment performed
Front brake pads replaced and rotors resurfaced
Rear brake pads replaced and rotors resurfaced
Battery/charging system checked
Oil pan replaced/repaired
Washed/detailed
Timing belt/tensioner/idler replaced