Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

WTF. Sprint SCP-5150 cell phone battery isn't holding charge right...

Old 09-07-2002, 05:49 AM
Old timer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WTF. Sprint SCP-5150 cell phone battery isn't holding charge right...

So I charge it full one day, then I turn it off overnight and the next day it might be okay, but then I turn it off overnight again and the next day it will have Low Battery warning already. That can't be right.

So I bring it to the Sprint store like 35mins from here and they have to keep it overnight to test it and they don't give me any sort of replacement or anything.

I get it back the next day and they said it passed the charge test just fine (this was Thursday). So I pick it up and put it back on my phone and turn on my phone and it's full charge. So I turn it off over night and then don't even use it yesterday and now today I wake up, grab my phone, for some reason it's ALREADY ON and it's Low Batt again. WTF.

Even if I HAD left it on, it was closed and sure as hell shouldn't be out of charge in 24 hours.

A new battery is $60 and I might end up having to buy one because the fockers claim nothing's wrong with this one.

I so hate how expensive cell phone stuff is. Batteries for Laptops are cheaper than this.
Old 09-07-2002, 09:37 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
just stop turning it off dumb ass.

charge it every night.

i have same phone and it holds charge fine...

but i dont turn mine off... i just plug it in while i sleep.
Old 09-07-2002, 11:26 AM
Old timer

I turn it off cuz I only really use it when I'm out since I have a landline.

Besides, the battery is supposed to last some huge amount of hours if it's just left on in standby more or whatever (closed).
Old 09-07-2002, 04:11 PM
on bin laden

Originally posted by soopa
just stop turning it off dumb ass.

charge it every night.

i have same phone and it holds charge fine...

but i dont turn mine off... i just plug it in while i sleep.
great advice

how about we wait and see what ken says ...

if the phone didn't have to work its ass off to keep connected with the nearest (I use the term loosely) cell site, it would last for several days.
Old 09-07-2002, 04:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by fbazakos
if the phone didn't have to work its ass off to keep connected with the nearest (I use the term loosely) cell site, it would last for several days.

is it on an analog signal?
Old 09-07-2002, 04:45 PM
Pro

What does it look like? And do they sell separate slim lithium ion batteries and the dual base chargeing stand? Where can I get these items. Thanks people.
Old 09-08-2002, 12:25 AM
Got da Internet Goin Nutz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
The key to solving any cell phone problem is either Circuit City or Best Buy. ALWAYS, buy your cell phones from them and get the ~$50 extended service plan. You can go in at anytime and change your phone for a new one and only pay the prorated amount of the service plan. I change my phones once a year at least!
Old 09-08-2002, 12:44 PM
on bin laden

Originally posted by bl^5
The key to solving any cell phone problem is either Circuit City or Best Buy. ALWAYS, buy your cell phones from them and get the ~$50 extended service plan. You can go in at anytime and change your phone for a new one and only pay the prorated amount of the service plan. I change my phones once a year at least!
you shouldn't have to be going in and exchanging phones. they should work, and the company should have a guarantee that the fricking phone will work. like with verizon, they won't hassle you at all. sprint is having such a huge problem with returns that they recently sent a letter to best buy telling them to restrict their return policy, since they were sending back so many phones. how do i know this, i SAW THE LETTER. not sure why they are having such a problem with their phones ...
Old 09-08-2002, 01:12 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by fbazakos
you shouldn't have to be going in and exchanging phones. they should work, and the company should have a guarantee that the fricking phone will work. like with verizon, they won't hassle you at all. sprint is having such a huge problem with returns that they recently sent a letter to best buy telling them to restrict their return policy, since they were sending back so many phones. how do i know this, i SAW THE LETTER. not sure why they are having such a problem with their phones ...
And if you believe this, then I work for Cingular. Actually I saw an internal memo marked Confidential that said Verizon's analog network was such a drain on the resources that they're going to pull the plug on Nationwide analog roaming customers by the end of the year. Ummh, that's false, too.

First he says we at Sprint aren't selling any phones, then he says the returns are huge. Whatever. All Sprint phones have a 1-year warrantee, which is the same for everyone.

There is nothing wrong with the phones we sell. They are made by the same people that sell phones to everyone else: Motorola, Sanyo, Samsung, LG, Kyocera.

I've been to a Motorola factory and in the same building under the same roof, there are numerous product lines. Going down one line is Verizon V-phones, down the other line is Sprint v120c, down another line is ATT Startacs. The only difference is Sprint is there to inspect our goods prior to shipment, I never see someone there from Verizon; I guess they just take whatever the OEMs ship to them.

From there the phones go to Best Buy, Radio Shack, etc. Same equipment, similar parts, same part supplies; that's just silly; like saying the '02 CL has huge problems but the '03 CL has no problems.

There is no such letter. What you saw is propogranda, as usual.
Old 09-08-2002, 01:15 PM
Race Director

Fotis, he is talking about how to get a newer cooler phone every year without having to pay full price for it. I think this is the way a lot of people do it because we come out with so many new phones and sell so many phones that you won't see the same phones in retail the next year. So when they replace, they will have to go with an "equivalent".

But you wouldn't know this at Verizon because you have the same old boring phones year after year and no one is interested in upgrading.
Old 09-08-2002, 04:46 PM
Old timer

KenSteele 2 Fotis 0.

Bottom of the 2nd, Fotis is up to bat.
Old 09-08-2002, 10:03 PM
on bin laden

Originally posted by JRock
KenSteele 2 Fotis 0.

Bottom of the 2nd, Fotis is up to bat.
No, I lose, you all enjoy your Sprint PHONES ... lol ... I'd be concerned if the verizon handset manager had this much free time to post up on the web ...

Oh, let me know when you complete a call with your cool phone. Or Jacob, when the battery charges, then try ...
Old 09-08-2002, 10:03 PM
on bin laden

What's your email address ... I'll send you a copy ... dumbass ...

Originally posted by kensteele
And if you believe this, then I work for Cingular. Actually I saw an internal memo marked Confidential that said Verizon's analog network was such a drain on the resources that they're going to pull the plug on Nationwide analog roaming customers by the end of the year. Ummh, that's false, too.

First he says we at Sprint aren't selling any phones, then he says the returns are huge. Whatever. All Sprint phones have a 1-year warrantee, which is the same for everyone.

There is nothing wrong with the phones we sell. They are made by the same people that sell phones to everyone else: Motorola, Sanyo, Samsung, LG, Kyocera.

I've been to a Motorola factory and in the same building under the same roof, there are numerous product lines. Going down one line is Verizon V-phones, down the other line is Sprint v120c, down another line is ATT Startacs. The only difference is Sprint is there to inspect our goods prior to shipment, I never see someone there from Verizon; I guess they just take whatever the OEMs ship to them.

From there the phones go to Best Buy, Radio Shack, etc. Same equipment, similar parts, same part supplies; that's just silly; like saying the '02 CL has huge problems but the '03 CL has no problems.

There is no such letter. What you saw is propogranda, as usual.
Old 09-09-2002, 01:37 AM
Race Director

Man I am so happy I have Verizon. I enjoy getting service when I need it. Let's see in NY my friends with Sprint are always fucking NO Signal, and here in AZ I'm rocking 4-5 bars and they are barely pimpin 2.

Hey there phone is Cool though. They can play games while they wait to find service. hahah.
Old 09-09-2002, 08:00 AM
on bin laden

Originally posted by pgatour1
Man I am so happy I have Verizon. I enjoy getting service when I need it. Let's see in NY my friends with Sprint are always fucking NO Signal, and here in AZ I'm rocking 4-5 bars and they are barely pimpin 2.

Hey there phone is Cool though. They can play games while they wait to find service. hahah.

Update the score, fotis: 0, ken: 2, and anthoy: 9999999999999
Old 09-09-2002, 12:02 PM
Drifting

I'm on my 4th phone with my 3yr service plan.
Old 09-09-2002, 12:14 PM
Old timer

Well I'm mostly in the DC Metro area and reception there is great. Out here in the sticks where I currently live, the reception is crappy, but when I'm here I have a landline so

Also, the battery seems to be holding a charge better again. Maybe they fed it some battery crack while they had it overnight. Who knows.
Old 09-09-2002, 12:16 PM
The Creator

blah, i have had verizon and sprint. theres no fucking difference between the two here... and ive had the same amount of problems with both phones.

i havent had verizon for myself in over a year now but i still pay for other peoples verizon...

the phones are all made by the same manufacturers... all their batteries die. the solution is CHARGE THE PHONE WHEN NOT USING IT. how is that bad advice?

dont blame sprint, verizon, motorola, or anyone... blame the battery makers if u have a complaint.

fotis you just need to stfu already... your being a total prick without provacation. everyone here has been civil... your just running your mouth and making it apparent that you dont have a fucking clue about the "business" your supposedly in.

you have nothing to do with the phones or anything of the sort. you just happen to work for a huge fawkin company that does...

you are the only one here who is completely biased. i always see Ken giving credit where credit is due.

ken has true hands on knowledge of the technology. as do the several other people here who work directly with the phones... tho most of them are smart enough to stray away from your antics.

stop being a schmuck and if you have nothing useful to say dont say anything at all.

jacob, if you trully believe your phone has a problem exchange it or fix it or something. my solution would simply be to charge it when its not in use.

batteries die. period.
Old 09-09-2002, 12:17 PM
The Creator

btw lithium batteries conform to your charging patterns just like the old batteries.

their supposedly much better and can be charged however but sporadic charging and overcharging has been proven to diminish their power capacity.
Old 09-09-2002, 02:02 PM
The Creator

thread re-opened thanx to the incesant whining of fotis. so feel free to resume the bs.

but before you do... let me just clarify the points i made which were poorly interpreted by that aforementioned moron.

i do not mean to say i believe my method of charging the phone we speak of is the proper way. it was simply stated to serve as an example of my method which admittedly has no ryhme or reason but does seem to work as i have no problems with this phone.

i do not mean to say i am by any means a expert on cell phones or cellular technology. i have little more knowledge then the average consumer on the subject. i speak strictly from experience with each provider and the phones i have owned.

with that out of the way, I DO mean to say that I think Fotis hasn't a clue. someone with real facts with meaning behind them would not make ridiculous and un-called for comments such as:

I'd be concerned if the verizon handset manager had this much free time to post up on the web ...

regardless, this has turned completely off-topic and is not helping jacob or solving any of the worlds problems. which is why it was closed.

my suggestion stands, charge your phone regularly and consistently. it seems to help me.
Old 09-09-2002, 03:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
fotis you just need to stfu already... your being a total prick without provacation. everyone here has been civil... your just running your mouth and making it apparent that you dont have a fucking clue about the "business" your supposedly in.

you have nothing to do with the phones or anything of the sort. you just happen to work for a huge fawkin company that does...

you are the only one here who is completely biased. i always see Ken giving credit where credit is due.

ken has true hands on knowledge of the technology. as do the several other people here who work directly with the phones... tho most of them are smart enough to stray away from your antics.

stop being a schmuck and if you have nothing useful to say dont say anything at all.

Amen brother.
Old 09-09-2002, 03:23 PM
Old timer

Hehehe you guys are mad uptight in this thread.

Anyway:

jacob, if you trully believe your phone has a problem exchange it or fix it or something. my solution would simply be to charge it when its not in use.
Yeah bro I charge it. It's all good. I will say I was a little disappointed with the Sprint Store's treatment of my warranty in that they won't exchange or fix anything unless they can quantify there's a problem with whatever mystery devices exist in the back room of their store.

Anyway, as I said, it seems to be better since I got it back from them, so we'll see. Who knows, maybe they just lied to me and actually switched batteries on me.

I love the phone. I got it as a gift back in March, because, as you guys know, my cheap ass sure wouldn't spend $300 on a phone. It's bad enough paying $44/month for service. Sweet phone though.
Old 09-09-2002, 03:49 PM
on bin laden

Originally posted by NSXNEXT
Amen brother.
yep, still sour grapes about the Tim thing ... always wondered if you'd get over it ... anyways ... we're supposed to post only if we have something to say that is contributing to the thread at hand ... so ... I'll re-clarify my points that I've already said earlier in this thread:

1. Wait and see what kensteele has to say
2. You shouldn't have to have a high percentage of returns on phones.
3. There is a directive to Best Buy from Sprint to reduce the number of returned phones.

And the digs at sprint, adam you should know me and ken always take shots at each other, it's an ongoing joke between two friends... me and ken ... and he can back this up if you guys think we are actually uptight or whatever.

But you wouldn't know this at Verizon because you have the same old boring phones year after year and no one is interested in upgrading.
So as you all should know, my responses aren't out of line. Ken?
Old 09-09-2002, 04:42 PM
The Creator

theres a difference between little quips between verizon - sprint but you make things a bit more personal.

regardless...

jrock, i must agree... i have had a few problems with sprint when it comes to broken phones.

when they first came out with the flip phone with a second LCD on the outside it was protected from bumps and was very fragile... the phone wasnt flat and the lcd was at the peak of the curve.

because of this the lcd shattered several times just from doing something like bumping into a desk with it in my pocket.

this happened with 3 separate phones within a month. one broke for no reason... just seemed to shatter.

well phone insurance would only replace it twice and sprint wouldnt simply fix the lcd.

not huge deal. but less then i would expect from verizon in a similar situation...

verizon has always done me right with broken phones.

but, when sprint wouldnt come through for me that ONE time in my 4 year history with them, Ken made up for it.
Old 09-09-2002, 06:36 PM
Race Director

I'm just laughing....a lot!

When I get thru laughing, I'll reply.

EDIT: Ok, I'm done laughing. Wow, that was funny. Of course, I'm always trying to be civil about the Sprint vs. Verizon deal, it's competition in the real world that I have to deal with so I play fair there just like I do here. The facts are that to the average customer, it's a toss up. There are no real customers who can say the Verizon network is better, or the Sprint commercials are better, or the Verizon service plans are better, or the Sprint phones are better OVERALL. It's a matter of personal preference. Yes Fotis and I are friends and believe it or not we don't really argue this stuff when we see each other in person, much more friendlier. But Adam is right in that sometimes he takes it personally. I would never say that he wasn't doing his job or didn't know what he was talking about when it comes to network stuff. But in the last few posts, seeing this supposed internal memo is pure propoganda and very interpretative (you never know how these things were intended or under what circumstances they were communicated). Being in that part of the business, you know I can't comment online about it so my lack of response shouldn't be taken either way. I see and hear things about Verizon all the time, but I never say anything unless I can link it to a press release or something public that we are free to discuss. Like Verizon apparently giving up on high-speed data or something to that effect.

But I think we all know know the truth when we read it and what is false. A Sprint phone can't find service in New York City? That is about as false as false gets, who honestly would believe that? Maybe in the middle of the Lincoln tunnel with an old phone...but if that's the case, why not say it that way? Millions and millions and millions of users can't be wrong. All those people buying Sprint phones and using Sprint services, if they weren't we wouldn't be in business. I challenge you to show me any article in any review or trade magazine that says "yeah the Sprint phones are cool, but if they don't work right, what good are they?" You can't. If Sprint customers were churning like Fotis makes it out to be, we would run out of cellphone numbers.

And as for people returning Sprint phones, of course he has to say that. I think it is agreed that the Sprint phones are the coolest (more so than Verizon) so the only way to defend against them is to say they don't work. Are they perfect? No. But they're no more being returned because they don't work then CLs are being returned because the tranny fails. Stop in a Radio Shack and just ask. Or any place, Circuit City, Best Buy. Retailers don't buy phones from carriers that don't work.

Verizon doesn't have the focus on their phones like we do at Sprint. To my knowledge they don't do the same things to their phones as we do at Sprint, like I do for my handsets. I'm constantly surfing the web with my phones, I have a Thera, a Treo, and several wireless data cards that I'm always using and testing. It's always easy to be on the Internet, it's part of my job and it doesn't take long to post here. Fotis has more posts than I do so I think HE probably spends more time on this forum than I do. But that's neither here nor there. What counts is that somehow I find enough time to surf, post, have a social life, AND introduce two dozen or more of the coolest phones in North America EVERY year.

I know that some people are probably tired of reading about this. I already contacted jrock about the battery before anyone else posted. My goal is to provide information and help where I can, not really to try to sell anything or promote. Trust me I'm used to the competition, I worked for General Mills (#2) for many years and I had to hear from the Kelloggs (#1) people about how their cereal tasted better than ours. Imagine that! Peace.
Old 09-10-2002, 12:34 AM
on bin laden

well that was very diplomatic ... i haven't and don't feel any pressure to act or filter what i say on here ... i'm just myself. i'm passionate about what i do for a living ... it is my belief that I cannot work a mundane job, regardless of what the compensation is. I love what I do, I'm very very involved, and I try to convey as much as I can to you all. as ken says, we hardless even discuss cell phones when we see each other. i know he has a secret passion for the v60c he has in his car. anyways ... i seriously doubt there is anybody more qualified on this site to respond to questions about the wireless industry than the two of us. i don't have an ego, those who know me personally would understand that ... that it is in all honesty and helpfullness. those who don't know me, and aren't my friends, may not get it. As far as posting facts, that is all I post. I do not talk out of my ass, or lie, etc. Again, if you knew me personally, you would know this implicitly. I take it past the press releases, and completely public information. That's boring, people can find that stuff on their own. What I don't do is give out proprietary corporate information. Let me give you an example. I can say with 100% confidence & accuracy that on average, a Verizon customer in Omaha, NE will have over a 99% chance of completing a call normally. There is no other company in that city that comes anywhere near that figure. Now you can call me a liar, tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, etc. But you must question my motives before. Why do I care? I am not affected by what wireless provider you use. So, I obviously care about my A-CL brethern enough to share what I can, when I can. Want some more examples? How about that Verizon has *always* and will *always* have more 3g coverage than Sprint? When Sprint launched their 3g network, they had 5,000 sites. Verizon already had 15,000 sites on 3g. The other 5-10,000 sites will be complete within the next several months. There is no backing down of 3g buildup at verizon. I can promise you that. Sprint is in fact churning more numbers than ever. I posted the link a while back, go look at the 2nd quarter results for both companies, tell me what you find. The fact remains that Verizon's network is superior to all other wireless carriers in the USA. I would be willing to be that any knowledgable member of the "wireless network" group of any other wireless carrier, would trade their network in a heartbeat. I'm not even going to get into the finincial side of things, that isn't my cup of tea.

If you guys don't want to hear it ... dont ask. I will speak nothing but the truth, the same rules I follow in my life on a day to day basis.

But all this has made me do some thinking ... if there is this much opposition ... why waste my time. I know several people in the past have pm'ed with things, and i've helped them, etc.

And I'm not laughing right now ... I gotta get back to work.

Ken, see you soon buddy, I have a trip coming up to KC.

I'm just laughing....a lot!

When I get thru laughing, I'll reply.

EDIT: Ok, I'm done laughing. Wow, that was funny. Of course, I'm always trying to be civil about the Sprint vs. Verizon deal, it's competition in the real world that I have to deal with so I play fair there just like I do here. The facts are that to the average customer, it's a toss up. There are no real customers who can say the Verizon network is better, or the Sprint commercials are better, or the Verizon service plans are better, or the Sprint phones are better OVERALL. It's a matter of personal preference. Yes Fotis and I are friends and believe it or not we don't really argue this stuff when we see each other in person, much more friendlier. But Adam is right in that sometimes he takes it personally. I would never say that he wasn't doing his job or didn't know what he was talking about when it comes to network stuff. But in the last few posts, seeing this supposed internal memo is pure propoganda and very interpretative (you never know how these things were intended or under what circumstances they were communicated). Being in that part of the business, you know I can't comment online about it so my lack of response shouldn't be taken either way. I see and hear things about Verizon all the time, but I never say anything unless I can link it to a press release or something public that we are free to discuss. Like Verizon apparently giving up on high-speed data or something to that effect.

But I think we all know know the truth when we read it and what is false. A Sprint phone can't find service in New York City? That is about as false as false gets, who honestly would believe that? Maybe in the middle of the Lincoln tunnel with an old phone...but if that's the case, why not say it that way? Millions and millions and millions of users can't be wrong. All those people buying Sprint phones and using Sprint services, if they weren't we wouldn't be in business. I challenge you to show me any article in any review or trade magazine that says "yeah the Sprint phones are cool, but if they don't work right, what good are they?" You can't. If Sprint customers were churning like Fotis makes it out to be, we would run out of cellphone numbers.

And as for people returning Sprint phones, of course he has to say that. I think it is agreed that the Sprint phones are the coolest (more so than Verizon) so the only way to defend against them is to say they don't work. Are they perfect? No. But they're no more being returned because they don't work then CLs are being returned because the tranny fails. Stop in a Radio Shack and just ask. Or any place, Circuit City, Best Buy. Retailers don't buy phones from carriers that don't work.

Verizon doesn't have the focus on their phones like we do at Sprint. To my knowledge they don't do the same things to their phones as we do at Sprint, like I do for my handsets. I'm constantly surfing the web with my phones, I have a Thera, a Treo, and several wireless data cards that I'm always using and testing. It's always easy to be on the Internet, it's part of my job and it doesn't take long to post here. Fotis has more posts than I do so I think HE probably spends more time on this forum than I do. But that's neither here nor there. What counts is that somehow I find enough time to surf, post, have a social life, AND introduce two dozen or more of the coolest phones in North America EVERY year.

I know that some people are probably tired of reading about this. I already contacted jrock about the battery before anyone else posted. My goal is to provide information and help where I can, not really to try to sell anything or promote. Trust me I'm used to the competition, I worked for General Mills (#2) for many years and I had to hear from the Kelloggs (#1) people about how their cereal tasted better than ours. Imagine that! Peace.
Old 09-19-2002, 12:32 PM
Old timer

I already contacted jrock about the battery before anyone else posted.
I only noticed the PM sitting in my box a couple days ago because it seems ACL doesn't always post the pop-up window when you get new PMs.

Anyway, thank you for your help in resolving this problem Ken, it is appreciated!

It seems like everyone I know has a 5150 these days. First one of my friends had one (AegeanCLS here), then my gf got one, then I got one, then her brother got one. It's really an excellent phone.