Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Verizon vs. Cingular

Old 11-14-2004, 01:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Verizon vs. Cingular

ok, now this is going to be a little one sided and bias cause it was sent out from verizon as a company wide email but the numbers dont lie. just thought it was a good comparison of the two top companys.

Quick Facts About ‘new’ Cingular

Employees: 68,000 (VZW has 46,000)

Subscribers: 47.6 million (just 3 million ahead of VZW)

Markets served: Went from 83 of top 100 markets, to 100/100 (VZW 98/100)

Direct Stores: 2,745 (expected to close at least 500)

How the Merger Affects ‘new’ Cingular Customers

• Launched significant ad campaign (Raising the Bar) explaining the transition (Cingular will loose the rights to the AT&T Wireless name in 6 months)

• To get Rollover minutes, AT&T Wireless customers must migrate to a Cingular plan. According to their website a plan is in the works to make Rollover available to AT&T Wireless customers by the holiday season

• Cingular is giving $50 incentives for contract renewals

• They plan to consolidate price plans from 100 to 20

• They will continue to offer $39.99/1000

• The combined customers on TDMA totals 20 million - they will be encouraged to migrate to GSM. To migrate to GSM, customers MUST obtain a new phone. Either Cingular will have to subsidize the equipment or the customer will have to pay for the new phone. Either way, it will be costly!

• Cingular and AT&T Wireless customers currently cannot use MTM when calling each other. According to their website they are working to allow it by the holiday season

• Cingular and AT&T Wireless continues to activate customers, business as usual, for now

According to Verizon Wireless Marketing and Segmentation Team

• Cingular is expected to take this transaction ‘slow and steady’ in hopes of doing things right the first time

• High priorities for Cingular are the branding of the new company, advertising, new pricing, and divestitures. Issues lower on their list are billing integration, customer service and cell site leases

• Analysts believe that it will take at least 18-24 months for Cingular to gain positive momentum. This leaves the door open for VZW (we have averaged 966,000 more Net Adds per quarter than the combined companies over the past year!)

• This pace will put us ahead of the new Cingular in less than 18 months!

*******WHY VERIZON WIRELESS OVER ‘NEW’ CINGULAR*******

VALUE

• VZW offers the option for customers to change their rate plans as their needs change; Cingular has their customers accumulate minutes they may not use\

• We offer unlimited calls to 40 million VZW customers – 1 out 4 wireless users is a VZW customer!

• As always, our customers enjoy our “Worry Free Guarantee”

• Cingular charges more for activation fees - $36 on 1 or 2 year agreements

• Cingular charges more in regulatory fees - $0.56 vs. our $0.45, and more for roaming - $0.79 to our $0.69

• VZW values its customers and rewards their loyalty by offering $100 every two years towards the purchase of equipment. Cingular rewards their customers’ loyalty with the same offer they give new customers

MTM and NETWORK

• VZW still has the largest MTM footprint (coverage). Cingular's new 'Allover' network covers 268 million POPs. Americas’ Choice covers 275 million POPs

• Cingular now has the largest MTM calling community with approximately 46 million customers
• Cingular claims to have the largest (company owned) digital voice and data network in the US (This excludes roaming partners. VZW covers 241 million POPs, Cingular covers approximately 250 million.)

• VZW won JD Power’s Network Quality Performance in 2003 – VZW has previously won more J.D. Power awards in more markets than any other carrier!

• Our CDMA technology is superior to AT&T Wireless/Cingular’s TDMA/GSM technology. CDMA has higher call capacity, better voice clarity, and data capability

• We invest $4 billion in our network each year, Cingular historically spends $1 billion

AND DID YOU KNOW…

• Data gathered by industry’s leading independent 3RD party testing company supports our claim that we maintain the nation’s best, most reliable network!

• Year after year VZW has tested ineffective call attempts and lost calls against our competitors and year after year these objective tests have supported the fact that our national network has fewer call failures than the networks of our competitors – no competitor has ever challenged these claims!

• Our national drive tests use computers making 300,000 call monthly on over 100,000 most frequently traveled roads nationwide. These tests use an apples-to-apples comparison of call failures as measured against our competitors in the tested markets. Based on the national data, VZW has the fewest call failures among all national competitors!

• VZW has received hundreds of accolades from various consumer and trade magazines, including the best rating from Consumer Reports each year

• The February 2004 issue of Consumer Reports judges VZW number 1 in overall satisfaction in all 12 markets surveyed!

• In 2003 Consumer Reports made similar findings, rating VZW as number 1 in overall satisfaction and number 1 in each of the 6 markets surveyed!
Old 11-14-2004, 10:48 AM
Banned

I use verizon and theyre network is the best in the NE, but their plans and phones suck. They are more expensive then everyone else and they never release new phones. IE, theyre data plan is 3x more expensive then almost all of the other carriers. They have one BT phone that was a complete diaster and they crippled it at that. Yes, I would rather have a phone that works then one with a bunch of gadgets but Cingular and Sprint are both gaining ground, vZW needs to pull their head out of their ass and either merge with sprint or start changing their ideas. And forget about T-Mobile and Nextel, they will be gone soon enough, M&A.
Old 11-14-2004, 03:53 PM
Homeless

Originally Posted by jrod178
I use verizon and theyre network is the best in the NE, but their plans and phones suck. They are more expensive then everyone else and they never release new phones. IE, theyre data plan is 3x more expensive then almost all of the other carriers.
Agreed.

• We invest $4 billion in our network each year, Cingular historically spends $1 billion
Seems hard to digest that they claim to spend this much on their service, yet are marginally better/even lesser than Cingular in some areas. Sounds like BS.

I've used both...my family is on Verizon(6 phones) and they are always having to call in for billing issues. Perfect example...My mom went on free mobile2mobile in 4/04...VZN still has yet to get their billing issues resolved from the switch..............OTOH, I haven't made more than one/two calls to Cingular in the past 6 years for any issues.
Old 11-14-2004, 06:06 PM
Pro

VALUE (Verizon gives the least amount of minutes for the price)

• VZW offers the option for customers to change their rate plans as their needs change; Cingular has their customers accumulate minutes they may not use\
(Cingular allows their customers to change their rate plans also so this is BS)

(Exactly what kind of "worry free" guarantee is this that any other phone company won't offer?)

• Cingular charges more in regulatory fees - $0.56 vs. our $0.45, and more for roaming - $0.79 to our $0.69 (Roaming fees apply only if you get the local plans. Which brings me to the fact that Cingular's local plan is better because they allow you to call nationwide w/ no long distance as long as you're calling from your home calling area. For Verizon's local plan, you get charged LD charges if you call outside your home calling area)

(Verizon charges $35 on a 1 yr. Big difference. 2 yr contracts are usually not a good idea anyways.)

• VZW values its customers and rewards their loyalty by offering $100 every two years towards the purchase of equipment. Cingular rewards their customers’ loyalty with the same offer they give new customers. (New customers get more of an incentive than $100)
Old 11-14-2004, 06:20 PM
Banned

I agree with the above, Verizon's service is the best in the NE, but their plans and attitude suck. They know they have the best coverage so they over charge. Hopefully Sprint and Cingular will catch up. I had T-Mobile last year and it was a complete joke, I wouldnt even call it a cell phone. They finally let me out of a contract after I used under 10 minutes in two consecutive months because the phone never got service.
Old 11-14-2004, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by bimmer88
VALUE (Verizon gives the least amount of minutes for the price)

(Cingular allows their customers to change their rate plans also so this is BS)

(Exactly what kind of "worry free" guarantee is this that any other phone company won't offer?)

• Cingular charges more in regulatory fees - $0.56 vs. our $0.45, and more for roaming - $0.79 to our $0.69 (Roaming fees apply only if you get the local plans. Which brings me to the fact that Cingular's local plan is better because they allow you to call nationwide w/ no long distance as long as you're calling from your home calling area. For Verizon's local plan, you get charged LD charges if you call outside your home calling area)

(Verizon charges $35 on a 1 yr. Big difference. 2 yr contracts are usually not a good idea anyways.)

• VZW values its customers and rewards their loyalty by offering $100 every two years towards the purchase of equipment. Cingular rewards their customers’ loyalty with the same offer they give new customers. (New customers get more of an incentive than $100)
first off, you get free ld with any plan with verizon so scratch that off your list. phone prices are right around the same for new customers with either company, so scratch that off your list too. the activation fee for a 2 year agreement with verizon is over 50% cheaper then cingualr. i couldnt tell you about changing your rate plan but if you would of read what i wrote before the info i posted you would of noticed i said this is bias.
Old 11-14-2004, 06:51 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Berner
first off, you get free ld with any plan with verizon so scratch that off your list. phone prices are right around the same for new customers with either company, so scratch that off your list too. the activation fee for a 2 year agreement with verizon is over 50% cheaper then cingualr. i couldnt tell you about changing your rate plan but if you would of read what i wrote before the info i posted you would of noticed i said this is bias.
That's not true. You don't get free LD on their local plans. You have to add $5 for free LD. I had Verizon myself not too long ago and got charged for calling Socal from Norcal. It's not a very good idea to sign a 2 yr contract just to save a few bucks on activation fee. Agreed... it is definitely biased.. just thought I'd point a few things out. I have a pretty good understanding of how Verizon works because I used to sell them also. We stopped just a few months back.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:00 PM
Banned

phone prices are around the same, but the phones arent. compare the V710, verizons flagship phone to some of cingulars in the same range. the features arent even comparable. i wish i could have verizons service with cingular/springs phones and plans
Old 11-14-2004, 07:08 PM
Pro

phone prices are around the same, but the phones arent. compare the V710, verizons flagship phone to some of cingulars in the same range. the features arent even comparable. i wish i could have verizons service with cingular/springs phones and plans
Agreed. Verizon does have good coverage. I got to give them that. They have more coverage than most other companies in areas outside the city. But their phones do suck and their billing system's terrible. Some people actually do get pretty good service with GSM in their area. Those people can benefit because they can go w/ the nicer phone, better plans, etc. I guess it really depends where you are though. There are actually areas where GSM carriers have better coverage than Verizon.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:12 PM
Banned

Yea, out west GSM might be better then CDMA. But in the NE for some reason Verizon seems to be the only carrier that really has their shit together. I am thinking about giving Sprint a chance.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:14 PM
Pro

Yea, out west GSM might be better then CDMA. But in the NE for some reason Verizon seems to be the only carrier that really has their shit together. I am thinking about giving Sprint a chance.
It's not really just out west. Coverage is different from city to city. I'm pretty sure GSM isn't bad in the whole NE region. Even out west, GSM has it's good and bad...
Old 11-14-2004, 07:17 PM

That's not true. You don't get free LD on their local plans. You have to add $5 for free LD. I had Verizon myself not too long ago and got charged for calling Socal from Norcal. It's not a very good idea to sign a 2 yr contract just to save a few bucks on activation fee. Agreed... it is definitely biased.. just thought I'd point a few things out. I have a pretty good understanding of how Verizon works because I used to sell them also. We stopped just a few months back.
how long ago was this that they were charging ld on local plans? as long as i have been working for them all plans have free ld, even the $25 one. the plans might be different depending on what region/district they are being sold in. thats the only thing i can think.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:22 PM

Agreed. Verizon does have good coverage. I got to give them that. They have more coverage than most other companies in areas outside the city. But their phones do suck and their billing system's terrible. Some people actually do get pretty good service with GSM in their area. Those people can benefit because they can go w/ the nicer phone, better plans, etc. I guess it really depends where you are though. There are actually areas where GSM carriers have better coverage than Verizon.
in some major populated areas gsm can definatley complare to verizons cdma. as far as anywhere outside those areas there is no comparison when it comes to hilling dead pockets and no service areas. i have the sidekick with tmobile and the think worked for maybe an hour of my whole 8 hour trip to nyc where my verizon worked the whole way out with no problem. thats with tmobile though. i know cingulars gsm coverage is much better then that.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:28 PM

the only thing sprint has on verizon is the phones. which actually are nothing special compared to ours. i went there the other day to compare and was not impressed at all. anywhere sprint works verizon is going to work plus some. sprint runs off of cdma 800MHz where verizon runs cdma 800MHz as well as a back up 1900MHz and analog.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:30 PM

if you complare a verizon and cingular coverage map, out west is actually where cdma has a larger footprint then gsm does. the midwest is where it looks like gsm prob has more coverage.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:38 PM
Banned

the only thing sprint has on verizon is the phones. which actually are nothing special compared to ours. i went there the other day to compare and was not impressed at all. anywhere sprint works verizon is going to work plus some. sprint runs off of cdma 800MHz where verizon runs cdma 800MHz as well as a back up 1900MHz and analog.

I would stick with verizon but their data plan is 40 a month. Everyone else is under 20. As for the phones, sorry but verizon doesnt compare to sprint in phones. Verizon has one phone that is decent, the 7000. The rest are budget phones. It took verizon months to get the treo 600 out and now the 650 is coming out, we wont see that on verizon until sometime late next year probably and i dont but the whole we test our phones more so they dont have problems. the v710 was junk, that other moto phone was a mess, i forget the model number and verizons two way is a joke.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:45 PM
Pro

NJ's local plan also charges for LD... here's the link... notice the part that says domestic LD is .20 or something like that...

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...ans-LocalPlans

Also, Cingular's service actually piggbacks off of T-mobile's system on the east coast so it shouldn't be too different. On the west coast, T-mobile's system piggybacks off of Cingular's. The small exception would be the 800mhz towers and there aren't too many of those yet.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:49 PM

I would stick with verizon but their data plan is 40 a month. Everyone else is under 20. As for the phones, sorry but verizon doesnt compare to sprint in phones. Verizon has one phone that is decent, the 7000. The rest are budget phones. It took verizon months to get the treo 600 out and now the 650 is coming out, we wont see that on verizon until sometime late next year probably and i dont but the whole we test our phones more so they dont have problems. the v710 was junk, that other moto phone was a mess, i forget the model number and verizons two way is a joke.
read the thread bulldog made about the v60s ptt. we are relaunching it with a handful of new phones and much better plans. there is a lot of info in there about the relaunce. as far as data plans, your right. even for me i only save $10 on unlimited data plans. the next cheepest for unlimited is $30 with tmobile though. as far as phones we have the samsung 670, lg 6100, 7000, 8000 (soon), moto 710 (heard good and bad), and moto 265 coming nov 15th. a couple years ago we were definatley behind the times with phones but now we are right up there.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:57 PM
Pro

the next cheepest for unlimited is $30 with tmobile though
It's actually only $20 if you get it w/ a voice plan
Old 11-14-2004, 08:03 PM

It's actually only $20 if you get it w/ a voice plan
true true

and verizons $45 with vioce, $49 stand alone
Old 11-14-2004, 08:18 PM
Banned

actually sprints data is 15 a month. and i think cingular is around the same or under 20 as well. if verizon lowered their pricing on data i would stay with them.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:02 PM
Instructor

thread starter---why are u saying nextel will be out soon? I thought they had a decent amount of customers?
Old 11-17-2004, 10:05 PM
Movin on up...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by primetime21
thread starter---why are u saying nextel will be out soon? I thought they had a decent amount of customers?

nextel is walkie talkie first and phone second...when verizon comes out with something similiar, and sprint has something as well..nextel wont have anything on the competition because there service sucks, and the fact that they are about 3 years late with there first camera phone is a big problem..
Old 11-18-2004, 12:31 AM
Instructor

verizon already made a walkie talkie it sucks, no one uses it....also I have friends with nextel that get better service than people with sprint.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:28 AM
Moderator Alumnus

i'm in the NY metro area 80% of the time and in PA the rest so I cover ALOT of ground, whether it be going to The city, jersey shore, north jersey, or philly.

verizon is hands-down THE best service where I am, which is extremely important to me. maybe if i lived somewhere vzw was sub-par i'd MAYBe consider another service provider. regardless, vzw is accoladed nationwide and considered to be the best. until then, vzw STILL has the most RELIABLE network.

i'd sacrifice better service for a marginally-techier phone anyday.

anyway... GPRS and EDGE are waaaaay slower than vzw's EVDO. they can "claim" its faster for now because we're still in 1x implementation nationally until EVDO launches in a few months. 200-600kbps are the average speeds and actually costs a fraction of the price to operate as compared to out 1x network.
Old 11-21-2004, 02:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by YuppieCL
i'm in the NY metro area 80% of the time and in PA the rest so I cover ALOT of ground, whether it be going to The city, jersey shore, north jersey, or philly.

verizon is hands-down THE best service where I am, which is extremely important to me. maybe if i lived somewhere vzw was sub-par i'd MAYBe consider another service provider. regardless, vzw is accoladed nationwide and considered to be the best. until then, vzw STILL has the most RELIABLE network.

i'd sacrifice better service for a marginally-techier phone anyday.

anyway... GPRS and EDGE are waaaaay slower than vzw's EVDO. they can "claim" its faster for now because we're still in 1x implementation nationally until EVDO launches in a few months. 200-600kbps are the average speeds and actually costs a fraction of the price to operate as compared to out 1x network.

So since it costs a fraction of the price are we going to see a reduction in the data costs from verizon?
Old 11-21-2004, 07:45 PM
Still trolling

All I can say is:

Cingular vs. Verizon = Price/cool handsets vs. reliability/quality of coverage
Old 11-21-2004, 08:52 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by suXor
All I can say is:

Cingular vs. Verizon = Price/cool handsets vs. reliability/quality of coverage
Well, that's not always the case. In some places Cingular works better. So not only would it be cheaper price and cool handsets but better coverage too.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:52 PM
Smack My B*tch Up

Verizon .
Old 11-21-2004, 09:31 PM
Movin on up...

So since it costs a fraction of the price are we going to see a reduction in the data costs from verizon?
why should they drop prices when they are the best at something, and the market is willing to pay top dollar for better service?
Old 11-21-2004, 09:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mikeymobiles
why should they drop prices when they are the best at something, and the market is willing to pay top dollar for better service?
because if EVDO is cheaper then 1xrtt to run why should they charge more when their prices are already 2-3x competitors? do you know how many DATA customers verizon loses to sprint/cingular etc. and verizon isnt leaps and bounds ahead of everyone else, verizon people need to stop thinking they have no competition. in the NE they do have really good coverage, but there are a lot of other places around the country where other carriers are a lot better. as far as data, sprints data service is better then verizons, lots more features, its really not even close. mobitv, etc
Old 11-22-2004, 09:25 PM
Movin on up...

because if EVDO is cheaper then 1xrtt to run why should they charge more when their prices are already 2-3x competitors? do you know how many DATA customers verizon loses to sprint/cingular etc. and verizon isnt leaps and bounds ahead of everyone else, verizon people need to stop thinking they have no competition. in the NE they do have really good coverage, but there are a lot of other places around the country where other carriers are a lot better. as far as data, sprints data service is better then verizons, lots more features, its really not even close. mobitv, etc
Not for nothing..but when is mobiletv..going to come in handy...i rather download something with streaming video on EVDO....

and you get what you pay for...why does mercedes charge more then their competitors? because they can..they offer something that is unique...and so does verizon....realiabilty, customer service ect...
Old 11-22-2004, 09:43 PM
Banned

no one is going to buy ev-do if its 100 a month. mercedes charge more then their competitors?? uhh, first mercedes charges about the same for their cars as their competitors do, M5 and E55 and RS6 are about the same. That comment makes no sense, and mercedes quality sucks in the last five years, so thats a terrible example. Their service centers suck, everything. Verizon and their employees need to stop thinking they are untouchable and their phones and service is 100x bigger and better and they are the best and no one can touch them. They are no microsoft, or even closely resemble a monopoly. They dont offer a unique product, they offer cell phone service, along with a bunch of other companies. In certain markets are they the best provider? Yes, in certain makets are they the worst? Yes. Bottum line is their data plans are priced so high it turns a lot of people away from them and by raising the prices, even if the service is faster it will turn more people away.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:11 PM
Movin on up...

Verizon and their employees need to stop thinking they are untouchable and their phones and service is 100x bigger and better and they are the best and no one can touch them. They are no microsoft, or even closely resemble a monopoly. Yes. Bottum line is their data plans are priced so high it turns a lot of people away from them and by raising the prices, even if the service is faster it will turn more people away.
1. NO one said verizon was a monopoly...if anything the cingular/att merger is just great competition for verizon...I kinda like competition..gives us something to compete with and I feel that is brings more life to the wireless business

2. Peoplare willing to pay more for speed...time is money in this world and if they can do something alot quicker..people will pay and it wont be a turn off...half the people using the evdo are going to be business/corporate/goverment accounts who dont mind spending money

3. Phones; I dont think they are the best but the fact that I can make a phone call in more places and have better realiabilty is a bigger turn on then something with bluetoot...

4. I dont see how you think we are untouchable...if we though we were would we not advertise? would be not come out with newer products? would we not want to try and expand and be "BETTER" then our competitors?
Old 11-22-2004, 10:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mikeymobiles
2. Peoplare willing to pay more for speed...time is money in this world and if they can do something alot quicker..people will pay and it wont be a turn off...half the people using the evdo are going to be business/corporate/goverment accounts who dont mind spending money

The business people who use data, use it for email, etc. The people who will benifet from EVDO are tech junkies who want to download stuff. So your wrong, the people who can afford to pay the 100 a month dont care. I work on Wall Street and every person I work with has some sort of data device and none of them care how fast it is, they just want to read email. The people who will who want to download stuff and use EVDO for its multimedia purposes by majority are not going to dish out 100 a month for it. You can get high speed cable and tv at your house for that.

4. I dont see how you think we are untouchable...if we though we were would we not advertise? would be not come out with newer products? would we not want to try and expand and be "BETTER" then our competitors?

I never said you were untouchable, thats the attitude a lot of people get from verizon employees. Many act like there are no alternatives. There is nothing wrong with being confident since a company offers a good product, but some people take it too far and act like its verizon or nothing. Either way, my point is about data, not verizon employees.
response in blue
Old 11-22-2004, 10:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

response in blue

The business people who use data, use it for email, etc. The people who will benifet from EVDO are tech junkies who want to download stuff. So your wrong, the people who can afford to pay the 100 a month dont care. I work on Wall Street and every person I work with has some sort of data device and none of them care how fast it is, they just want to read email. The people who will who want to download stuff and use EVDO for its multimedia purposes by majority are not going to dish out 100 a month for it. You can get high speed cable and tv at your house for that.
How goes getting a cable modem and TV for the same price help me when I'm away from home and need to download a 10MB file off the net?
Old 11-22-2004, 11:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mt6forlife
How goes getting a cable modem and TV for the same price help me when I'm away from home and need to download a 10MB file off the net?

That wasnt the point. It was an example of the price of data for verizon compared to the price of data for a house. The point was not a lot of people are going to be willing to spend 150 a month for a cell phone with data service.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:30 AM
Dromaeosaurs/Velociraptor

RULE OF THUMB FOR CELL PHONE BUYERS...why do some not get this?

Pick what works for you.....all that matters is where you are going to be and who has the best coverage for YOUR area. Doesnt matter the size of the company, subscribers, etc....you're not planning on buying stock are you..
I could gone on about this topic...but the above covers the main shizznit..haha
Old 11-23-2004, 09:37 AM
Houses Won't Depreciate?

Advantage with Cingular (or any GSM carrier) with UNLOCKED phones 3+ bands

Go to any part of the world with GSM carriers, swap the chip and voilá, up and running. In many countries you can prepay calls, much cheaper than ridiculous roaming charges.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by zamo
Advantage with Cingular (or any GSM carrier) with UNLOCKED phones 3+ bands

Go to any part of the world with GSM carriers, swap the chip and voilá, up and running. In many countries you can prepay calls, much cheaper than ridiculous roaming charges.
thats great and all, but how often are many of us traveling overseas? sure it makes it easier, but like you said you can get pre paid minutes for a lot cheaper then it would cost you to roam over there.

Quick Reply: Verizon vs. Cingular