Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Verizon...pretty good marketing campaign against apple

Old 11-02-2009, 09:38 AM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarlacc
oh no, great insult mr syrup sipper. you got me, you got me so good.

See kids, drugs do make you smarter.
Your Acurazine bully role is tired and played out you met your match with me bitch. You don't intimidate me you nerdy asshole.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:44 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,235 Likes on 824 Posts
meh
Old 11-02-2009, 09:44 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,967 Likes on 2,645 Posts
Originally Posted by Black CL-S 4-Life
Your Acurazine bully role is tired and played out you met your match with me bitch. You don't intimidate me you nerdy asshole.
Who is trying to intimidate? Why because I called you a druggie? You admit that freely.

And thats twice you tossed the nerd card...I'd go back and read your posts in this thread, because unless you were so high you forgot what you typed, you sound as much of a nerd as anyone in this thread.

Do us all a favor and go kill the rest of your braincells. Might I suggest you switch it up and start huffing freon?
Old 11-02-2009, 09:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,854 Likes on 14,002 Posts
Okay, keep it civil, please.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:52 AM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
I like my iPhone too much right now to jump ship. I'll wait till this thing is out for awhile.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:55 AM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Who is trying to intimidate? Why because I called you a druggie? You admit that freely.

And thats twice you tossed the nerd card...I'd go back and read your posts in this thread, because unless you were so high you forgot what you typed, you sound as much of a nerd as anyone in this thread.

Do us all a favor and go kill the rest of your braincells. Might I suggest you switch it up and start huffing freon?
I called you a nerd because that's exactly what your are. You have nothing outside of Acurazine but and live vicariously through celebrities and shit. You've been banned for being an asshole and are constantly getting into it with people. You have a serious problem man you come off as some big shit but are nothing but a little nerd at heart and I'm calling you out on it.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:00 AM
The Third Ball

Once again, you got, you oh so got me. My match has been met. I've been slain, noooooo what a world what world.

Hows escaping reality with over the counter cough syrup working out for you, talking about serious problems and having nothing outside of AZ?
Old 11-02-2009, 10:03 AM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

You're nothing but a internet troll get a life nerd.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:09 AM
The Third Ball

Not sure how you are on short term memory...but youve said that already. Like two other times in the last 20 minutes.

Might want to see a doctor.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:12 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumchah
Okay, keep it civil, please.
+1

If any of you don't heed to Yumchah's wishes, there are going to be bans handed out.

This is the only and final warning.

Terry
Old 11-02-2009, 10:28 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm really looking forward too getting my hands on a driod. Wish it was Friday already.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:11 PM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
I'm really looking forward too getting my hands on a driod. Wish it was Friday already.
Are you getting rid of your iPhone for it?
Old 11-02-2009, 12:22 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,235 Likes on 824 Posts
Originally Posted by SwervinCL
I like my iPhone too much right now to jump ship. I'll wait till this thing is out for awhile.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:29 PM
My Garage

Originally Posted by SwervinCL
Are you getting rid of your iPhone for it?
Yes, if I like it enough. The multitasking is valuable to me. I need to check it out though. I really need to see how it works with exchange and I need to really make sure the customization of notifications is able to give me what I need for my messages.

If it's not, I will stick with my iPhone.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:06 PM
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Same here. Did you say you currently have an iPhone? I just got the Samsung Rogue. It's a decent phone, but I miss having the full utility of a smart phone. I'll definitely be stopping in Friday morning to check this phone out.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:48 PM
My Garage

Originally Posted by jayhawk815
Same here. Did you say you currently have an iPhone? I just got the Samsung Rogue. It's a decent phone, but I miss having the full utility of a smart phone. I'll definitely be stopping in Friday morning to check this phone out.
I have an iphone now
Old 11-03-2009, 02:55 PM
The Dumb One

Received 373 Likes on 249 Posts
You have favorite 5s that's not unlimited minutes big difference there. I have unlimited minutes you won't get a plan like mine from ATT or Verizon for under $100. I'm getting unlimited minutes, internet and text for $86 a month, it's a steal.
existing tmobile customers can get unlimited everything for 69.99 a month with the sidekick... so no... 86 is not a steal.... its a steal compared to overpriced companies.. but nothing spectacular....

the only reason i have my faves is bc it saves me 10 bucks and i hardly use over 100 minutes a month, i communicate by text/email 95% of the time, thus making the unlimited minutes and 10 extra dollars useless....

tmobile/danger-microsoft have always treated us sidekick users awesome and since i've been a customer, always have kicked the shit out of other prices from every other company. as long as im a tmobile sidekick user... i will continue to pay these prices as everyone else keeps jumping from one company to the next and paying 100+ a month for phone service.

not trying to get into a nutswinging contest over companies.. just stating facts...

the fact that it took apple 1 1/2 - 2 years to allow MMS picture messaging was enough to show me it was a joke and gimmic it was from the beginning.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:15 PM
My Garage

Originally Posted by Rockstar21
existing tmobile customers can get unlimited everything for 69.99 a month with the sidekick... so no... 86 is not a steal.... its a steal compared to overpriced companies.. but nothing spectacular....

the only reason i have my faves is bc it saves me 10 bucks and i hardly use over 100 minutes a month, i communicate by text/email 95% of the time, thus making the unlimited minutes and 10 extra dollars useless....

tmobile/danger-microsoft have always treated us sidekick users awesome and since i've been a customer, always have kicked the shit out of other prices from every other company. as long as im a tmobile sidekick user... i will continue to pay these prices as everyone else keeps jumping from one company to the next and paying 100+ a month for phone service.

not trying to get into a nutswinging contest over companies.. just stating facts...

the fact that it took apple 1 1/2 - 2 years to allow MMS picture messaging was enough to show me it was a joke and gimmic it was from the beginning.
Lack of MMS was more an AT&T issue
Old 11-03-2009, 03:42 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
OK, I'll bring this up again. I keep reading and hearing that Droid has 10,000 apps for their phones. Anybody know WHERE? I look at Android market, there might a 200 apps, no way 10,000.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:01 PM
My Garage

Originally Posted by jupitersolo
OK, I'll bring this up again. I keep reading and hearing that Droid has 10,000 apps for their phones. Anybody know WHERE? I look at Android market, there might a 200 apps, no way 10,000.
Check out our site for some of the more popular applications and games available in Android Market. For a comprehensive, up-to-date list of the thousands of titles that are available, you will need to view Android Market on a handset.
http://www.android.com/market/
Old 11-03-2009, 04:48 PM
nnInn

Thanks for pointing that out. But it's kinda lame, I want to be able top see about the app and what others say about it before I have to buy it and just d/l it at all.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:16 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Droid looks interesting, but seems to have some problems. It looks like it will set the new standard for screen resolution on phones. The most ironic thing about the ad campaign though is Verizon advertises "iDon't have a 5.0 megapixel camera," and now after the reviews have come out all of them have set how AWFUL this camera is. Taking a long time to load and taking awful pictures. It may have a 5.0 megapixel camera, but the perception from these reviews is I will just stay with my iPhone's good 3.2 megapixel camera.

I'm intrigued with Android, I love my iPhone, but if Google can become as streamlined and efficient as Apple's OS I will give Android a shot.

For the sake of wireless phones I hope the Android does well, so that more choices can comes out and wireless phones can continue to progress upward.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:08 PM
nnInn

New Droid Commercial

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/o9fXYQjwR0w&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/o9fXYQjwR0w&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 11-03-2009, 11:21 PM
nnInn

Originally Posted by Chas T
The Droid looks interesting, but seems to have some problems. It looks like it will set the new standard for screen resolution on phones. The most ironic thing about the ad campaign though is Verizon advertises "iDon't have a 5.0 megapixel camera," and now after the reviews have come out all of them have set how AWFUL this camera is. Taking a long time to load and taking awful pictures. It may have a 5.0 megapixel camera, but the perception from these reviews is I will just stay with my iPhone's good 3.2 megapixel camera.

I'm intrigued with Android, I love my iPhone, but if Google can become as streamlined and efficient as Apple's OS I will give Android a shot.

For the sake of wireless phones I hope the Android does well, so that more choices can comes out and wireless phones can continue to progress upward.
Care to say who has said camera is AWFUL, I read about four hands on with this and only one has said anything about the camera and that was a draw.

http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2009/10/...motorola-droid
Old 11-03-2009, 11:31 PM
Got a Job!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BGR for one...

Camera
The camera, a 5 megapixel autofocus dual LED flash, is straight up disappointing. It doesn’t seem to be hardware-related as we’re almost positive it’s a software issue, but man… did Kodak just say peace out to Moto or? This thing couldn’t focus on any sort of scene, portrait, landscape, a close-up — nothing — to save its life. On top of pictures not coming out focused properly, the camera application is ridiculously slow, sometimes pausing up to 7 or 8 seconds after you’ve taken a picture before it will let you snap again. What’s worse is that with geo-tagging enabled, delays get even longer.

With Android 2.0 there’s a brand new camera interface which is much-needed and actually isn’t horrible. It’s just not that intuitive and adjusting settings on the fly is damn near impossible. This is a common theme with Android and that’s because most coders aren’t designers and aren’t GUI experts. It’s pretty simple. For instance, the camera will display the automatic flash indicator in the lower left of the viewfinder, yet you can’t click on it. Wait, what? Yeah exactly. The logical among us would expect to tap the indicator and be able to cycle through the options quickly. But you have to slide your finder left to right to bring out the settings drawer, flick down to the flash setting option, tap it to bring the flash setting to the forefront, tap the desired choice and then slide the options drawer back into hiding– all when Megan Fox slipped out from the club while you were fiddling with your camera settings.

There’s also no review settings, so it’s not like you can take a photo and it will show it on screen for a certain amount of time where you can see that you accidentally sneezed during the photograph and want to delete it quickly. You have to tap the recent photo thumbnail in the upper right of the application and only then are presented with the option to delete, share, or set as (wallpaper, contact icon). Like we said, the optics seem to be fine, the dual-LED flash is perfect, but if the camera doesn’t focus properly, takes a long time to launch/shoot, and doesn’t allow on-the-go adjustments quickly, it’s a pretty useless camera. And in the end, we’d take our 3.2 megapixel Bold 9700 camera with flash and even iPhone 3GS camera without flash any day of the week, month, or year over the DROID’s camera.
http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/...-droid-review/

I'm definitely going to check this out in person a couple times to get a feel for it, but at this point, I'm not sure if it's striking enough to make me get rid of my Storm 2. I'm loving it more and more every day, but we'll see.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:14 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
The #1 feature of the iPhone for me is the iPod functionality. I'm satisfied with AT&T and I have the cheapest plan available plus a ton of rollover minutes since I don't use my phone much during the weekdays/before night anyways.

I've had other music phones before and other MP3 players before.... and iTunes really is the most convenient and well executed music management software out there. I'm not sure where else I can sync the exact same music/playlists I have on my computer to my phone. There probably is a better music management software out there... but I haven't used it yet. Another thing is the almost universal compatibility of the iPod/iPhone with car radios.... I have an aftermarket Pioneer and I plug it in, put it in the glovebox and control everything from my head unit. I can do the same thing in my friend's G37.... plug it in and it shows the artist, song title, can change volume, skip songs, etc. from the steering wheel.

I don't even use my 3GS to its fullest extent.... its good enough for me. The camera is crap, I agree.... one of my old phones had a ridiculously bright flash and a camera that had better resolution, but its not a dealbreaker. But for sure if it had a better resolution camera with flash it would make it dominant in my eyes, because I'd no longer need an iPod or a camera. That and the speakerphone sucks, not sure I have anything else to complain about. And yeah.... people who jailbreak don't pay a cent for apps

I also type ridiculously fast on the touchscreen keyboard, especially when its in landscape mode I can even do it pretty good without looking... managed to impress a couple of text whores, even... one of which owned a sidekick.

^All that coming from a person who has been a detractor of Apple for a while for its almost monopolization of the MP3 player market and the elitist attitudes the owners show which is perpetuated in the Apple ads (which are annoying as hell btw).

My cousin operates his own cellular phone business.... I tried various BB's old and new (even one that wasn't released yet), various Sidekicks, and other smart phones. I just went with the product that fit my costs needs and wants didn't hurt that I have a 28% discount on my AT&T bill either. Fanboy talk about which carrier, phone, or feature, etc. is the best... well, stupid at best.

I will say this.... there are phones out there that hypothetically, if they had the same touch-screen text, Safari browser (which is very intuitive IMO) and the same iPod functionality, I'd probably jump ship. Maybe even to another carrier

Cliffs:

I have an iPhone 3GS and I am not a sheep
Old 11-04-2009, 08:33 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
The thing about SO many Apple products is they do a spectacular job on the design and marketing.

Maybe Apple products, like the iPhone, are not the "best" product, but they are very good and when you add the design and marketing, they sell like hotcakes.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:39 AM
My Garage

Care to say who has said camera is AWFUL, I read about four hands on with this and only one has said anything about the camera and that was a draw.

http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2009/10/...motorola-droid
Gizmodo said it too

http://gizmodo.com/5396168/motorola-droid-review

The camera is complete garbage. It takes 10 years to start up, 2 to focus, and another 4 to actually take the goddamn picture. And there's no distinct visual feedback to let you know a photo's been snapped. And the photos suck. That pumpkin shot, in decent lighting, is as good as it gets. Like I said in the Android 2.0 review, I don't know if it's the hardware or the software, but it's inexcusably bad. (Update: Here's a couple of more shots from the camera. You can compare the indoors one with the much better Sprint Hero sample shot seen here, since they were taken in the same place.)
Old 11-04-2009, 08:44 AM
My Garage

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
The #1 feature of the iPhone for me is the iPod functionality. I'm satisfied with AT&T and I have the cheapest plan available plus a ton of rollover minutes since I don't use my phone much during the weekdays/before night anyways.

I've had other music phones before and other MP3 players before.... and iTunes really is the most convenient and well executed music management software out there. I'm not sure where else I can sync the exact same music/playlists I have on my computer to my phone. There probably is a better music management software out there... but I haven't used it yet. Another thing is the almost universal compatibility of the iPod/iPhone with car radios.... I have an aftermarket Pioneer and I plug it in, put it in the glovebox and control everything from my head unit. I can do the same thing in my friend's G37.... plug it in and it shows the artist, song title, can change volume, skip songs, etc. from the steering wheel.

I don't even use my 3GS to its fullest extent.... its good enough for me. The camera is crap, I agree.... one of my old phones had a ridiculously bright flash and a camera that had better resolution, but its not a dealbreaker. But for sure if it had a better resolution camera with flash it would make it dominant in my eyes, because I'd no longer need an iPod or a camera. That and the speakerphone sucks, not sure I have anything else to complain about. And yeah.... people who jailbreak don't pay a cent for apps

I also type ridiculously fast on the touchscreen keyboard, especially when its in landscape mode I can even do it pretty good without looking... managed to impress a couple of text whores, even... one of which owned a sidekick.

^All that coming from a person who has been a detractor of Apple for a while for its almost monopolization of the MP3 player market and the elitist attitudes the owners show which is perpetuated in the Apple ads (which are annoying as hell btw).

My cousin operates his own cellular phone business.... I tried various BB's old and new (even one that wasn't released yet), various Sidekicks, and other smart phones. I just went with the product that fit my costs needs and wants didn't hurt that I have a 28% discount on my AT&T bill either. Fanboy talk about which carrier, phone, or feature, etc. is the best... well, stupid at best.

I will say this.... there are phones out there that hypothetically, if they had the same touch-screen text, Safari browser (which is very intuitive IMO) and the same iPod functionality, I'd probably jump ship. Maybe even to another carrier

Cliffs:

I have an iPhone 3GS and I am not a sheep
As far as I can tell after all my thinking on this is, multitasking, or lack thereof, is the only real major downfall of the iPhone (assuming you are in a good service area). If you can live with the lack of multi-tasking (I'm not sure if I can) there is really no major reason to have a (An)Droid over a jailbroken iPhone.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:59 AM
nnInn

Originally Posted by Dem1K
BGR for one...

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/...-droid-review/

I'm definitely going to check this out in person a couple times to get a feel for it, but at this point, I'm not sure if it's striking enough to make me get rid of my Storm 2. I'm loving it more and more every day, but we'll see.
Thanks, I couldn't find this stuff, I google looking for it. With me being a camera nut, I'm not thinking I'll get dslr images, but if it's as bad as they are saying. I'm not touching the Droid. Hopefully it's just a firmware update.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:03 AM
The Third Ball

apple announced over 100,000 apps available today.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:57 AM
My Garage

Thanks, I couldn't find this stuff, I google looking for it. With me being a camera nut, I'm not thinking I'll get dslr images, but if it's as bad as they are saying. I'm not touching the Droid. Hopefully it's just a firmware update.
All you need is right here:

http://gizmodo.com/

http://www.engadget.com/
Old 11-04-2009, 10:54 AM
nnInn

I forgot about gizmodo, but was read engadet almost daily, but couldn't find the review, just their hands on and didn't see anything about the camera. TA
Old 11-04-2009, 01:21 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
AT&T suing Verizon over "got a map for that"

AT&T strikes back, sues Verizon over the mocking 3G coverage advert
AT&T says Verizon’s advert misleads viewers into thinking that people outside AT&T’s 3G coverage have no wireless coverage whatsoever.

The nation’s #2 wireless provider (AT&T) is suing the nation’s #1 wireless company (Verizon) over the mocking advert aired that preceeded the anti-Apple commercial which, in turn, kick-started the Droid campaign. The Verizon advert described AT&T’s coverage as “spotty,” using a rehash of Apple’s catchy “There’s an App for that” punchline. Multiple media outlets have reported that AT&T filed a lawsuit Tuesday in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia seeking a temporary restraining order, arguing that Verizon’s advert is causing “incalculable” market share loss. AT&T described the color scheme depicting areas with no 3G coverage as “misleading.”

The coverage maps used in the Verizon ad suggest that blank areas on the AT&T coverage map mean a complete lack of coverage, AT&T argued, whereas AT&T’s cell towers cover those areas with either EDGE or GPRS signals that lack 3G data speed but is otherwise fine for voice calls and casual web activity.
http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/...dvert-2009114/
Old 11-04-2009, 02:20 PM
nnInn

The ad clearly states 3G coverage, AT&T should stop whining and get on the stick about getting better 3G coverage to their customers.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:34 PM
My Garage

This seems like "you can't just push us around like that" type of a response, rather than a merit based one. Maybe in hopes that Verizon will think twice before airing another commercial like this because they know AT&T aren't just going to sit on their hands.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:46 PM
nnInn

They have complained about the commercial in writing to Verizon two or three times. Verizon has said eff you and keeps airing it.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:48 PM
My Garage

They have complained about the commercial in writing to Verizon two or three times. Verizon has said eff you and keeps airing it.
hence the suit
Old 11-04-2009, 02:55 PM
nnInn

But I don't think they're are going to think twice about it. What they are showing is true, so they'll do it again.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:04 PM
My Garage

But I don't think they're are going to think twice about it. What they are showing is true, so they'll do it again.
Yea, I know. The point is that it shows that if they do it again, they will get sued again. If you were Verizon, would you rather get sued or not? The answer it not, it won't stop them from doing it, but it might stop them from doing it as much or as quickly. And if it doesn't, then AT&T has lost nothing because the commercials would have aired either way.

Know what I mean?

Quick Reply: Verizon...pretty good marketing campaign against apple