Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Verizon FiOS > *

Old 06-17-2008, 10:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Sly Raskal
So we finally got FIOS installed at the house. Because of the layout of our home we had to run the cat5 to the family room where the router they provided is located.

Now comes the issue of whether or not a third party router will work. I tried connecting my Netgear Router (WGT624 v3) using the cable out of the wall and it wasn't able to establish a connection to the network The installer mentioned something about their service recognizing the MAC address of the router, so I set the MAC address of my router to be the same as the MAC address of the router they provided and it still didn't work.

Is there a step I'm missing or or there particular routers that will only work with their service? Previously in this thread I raised this question and a couple people said they were able to use their own routers with the service.
I use my own router (Linksys) and it works fine. I have my network cable going directly from the Verizon box to my Linksys box. Didn't change any MAC settings. Once I connected my Linksys to the Verizon box, I connected my Laptop to the Linksys box and changed the IP settings and configured the wireless.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:07 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally Posted by MD03CL-S
I use my own router (Linksys) and it works fine. I have my network cable going directly from the Verizon box to my Linksys box. Didn't change any MAC settings. Once I connected my Linksys to the Verizon box, I connected my Laptop to the Linksys box and changed the IP settings and configured the wireless.
when you say verizon box, are you refering to the router or the box that connects the fiber to your home?

If you are connecting the cable from the fiber box to your router, what model linksys router are you using?
Old 06-17-2008, 11:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Well i tried that with my linksys and it didnt work...

I also tried it with my old SMC..
Old 06-17-2008, 11:32 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL

I think it works with certain routers. The problem is when people are saying they are hooking up their routers they aren't specifiying if they are running them as access points or as an actual router hooked up directly to the box the fiber connects to.

I've been trying to find a list of routers compatible with FIOS but haven't been lucky with my Google searches.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:47 PM
Burning Brakes

when you say verizon box, are you refering to the router or the box that connects the fiber to your home?

If you are connecting the cable from the fiber box to your router, what model linksys router are you using?
Sorry, I mean the router (Actiontec is the brand). My Linksys is a WRT54GX2.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:03 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Both the Verizon router and your Linksys are probably using the same IP address. Change the IP of your Linksys to 192.168.2.1 or something. That should work. Can't have two devices with the same IP.

Edit: If the Verizon box is going to be handling your DHCP, you'll also have to set the Linksys as an access point, not a DHCP server.

We also got FiOS last Friday. 20/5 internet and the TV package with Movies. I ran the coax over my dropped ceiling to the computer desk and wired up the router on my desk so that I could run CAT6 from the router to my computers. Through wireless I get about 16mb/s. Through wired, I get 22. Insane.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:06 AM
Team Owner

Verizon pushing FiOS internet to 50Mbps throughout US

http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/18/v...throughout-us/
Old 06-18-2008, 09:08 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Pete1burn
Both the Verizon router and your Linksys are probably using the same IP address. Change the IP of your Linksys to 192.168.2.1 or something. That should work. Can't have two devices with the same IP.
I should have thought of that! Thanks. I'll go into the admin panel of the verizon actiontec router, release the IP Verizon issued to that router and then hook up my router and see if it works.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:32 AM
Pro

No, we're talking static IPs. Your Verizon router is probably using 192.168.1.1 and your Linksys is using the same. Change your Linksys IP to 192.168.2.1 and set to be an access point, not a router. Releasing the IP is only releasing the external IP the router gets from the internet.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:04 AM
Team Owner

No, we're talking static IPs. Your Verizon router is probably using 192.168.1.1 and your Linksys is using the same. Change your Linksys IP to 192.168.2.1 and set to be an access point, not a router. Releasing the IP is only releasing the external IP the router gets from the internet.
I think you may be mistaken on what I'm trying to do. I want to replace the Actiontec router with my Netgear router or another one as long as it works.

Forgive my networking ignorance, but if my actiontec verizon FiOS router is turned off when I have my netgear router plugged into the FiOS line, why should it matter to the router that it has 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1.

I'm pluggin the Cat5e cable coming out of the wall jack into my Netgear router. That jack was installed by the FiOS installer and goes to the box in the garage connecting the house to the fiber line. The actiontec router is turned off and not being used when I'm trying to get the netgear router to connect to the internet. I can connect to my internal network just fine, I can even access the admin panel for my Netgear router. The Netgear router however is not able to get an IP from the ISP and also doesn't update it's DNS server information so I can't get onto the Interwebs
Old 06-18-2008, 11:45 AM
Pro

The CAT5 jack in the wall is coming off of the Verizon router, isn't it? My install may have been different. I have coax coming from the box in the basement, the router plugs into the coax, and my machines into the router. If the router is in your basement, and the CAT5 is coming out of the router, then you'll need to rework that.

If yours is just straight CAT5, then yes, you should be able to use your own router. In that case what's happening is you need to change the connection type in your Linksys router to a PPPoE connection and supply it with your username and password that you set up with the FiOS guy in order for it to authenticate on the Verizon network.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:54 AM
Team Owner

The CAT5 jack in the wall is coming off of the Verizon router, isn't it? My install may have been different. I have coax coming from the box in the basement, the router plugs into the coax, and my machines into the router. If the router is in your basement, and the CAT5 is coming out of the router, then you'll need to rework that.

If yours is just straight CAT5, then yes, you should be able to use your own router. In that case what's happening is you need to change the connection type in your Linksys router to a PPPoE connection and supply it with your username and password that you set up with the FiOS guy in order for it to authenticate on the Verizon network.
The 2nd paragraph of you post is how mine is setup; however, he didn't give me any information about my PPPoE information. I'm guessing it was automated in their installation process because he used some program that configured the router automatically. What would be the best way to get the PPPoE information since I don't know what it is?

To sum up, we are only using the Internet and Phone service off of FiOS, we aren't using the coax. For this reason I asked him to run a cat5 cable from the box in the garage to the router because if I wanted to swap routers I could, otherwise if he ran the coax to the router, I'd be stuck and would have to run my own cat 5 from the box in the garage to the router.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:22 PM
Pro

You'd have to call Verizon and have them give it to you. He didn't give you the option of specifying a username and password? Weird. The guy did it on his own laptop, but he let me put in all my info.

In any case, Verizon should be able to get it to you. Select PPPoE in your router and that will pop up a username and password box. Throw them in and it should work.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:38 PM
Team Owner

You'd have to call Verizon and have them give it to you. He didn't give you the option of specifying a username and password? Weird. The guy did it on his own laptop, but he let me put in all my info.

In any case, Verizon should be able to get it to you. Select PPPoE in your router and that will pop up a username and password box. Throw them in and it should work.
Cool, thanks dude! I'll give that a try when I have time.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:03 PM
Team Owner

Is the PPPoE username/password the same as your verizon online username and password???

That's kinda what I gathered from the support section of the verizon website but I wanted to make sure.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:08 PM
Pro

Yes, if the username and password you use on the site gets you to your account info and stuff.

Edit: I gotta tell you man, your setup doesn't make sense to me. I think your router is in the basement. When you get home, go to start, run, type in CMD and hit enter. Then type in ipconfig and hit enter again. If your IP is 192.168.x.x then you DO have a router, just not in plain sight.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:09 PM
Team Owner

Yes, if the username and password you use on the site gets you to your account info and stuff.

Edit: I gotta tell you man, your setup doesn't make sense to me. I think your router is in the basement. When you get home, go to start, run, type in CMD and hit enter. Then type in ipconfig and hit enter again. If your IP is 192.168.x.x then you DO have a router, just not in plain sight.
lol, the router is definietly in our living room. We don't even have a basement! I was watching him install everything and even asked how he was going to do the install and he said "however you want." So I requested he run cat5 instead of coax because we aren't using the FiOS TV service and I wanted to hook up my own router which requires cat5 and not coax. So, he ran a cat5 cable from the fiber box in the garage to our family room because it would have been too difficult for him to run a cable into our bedroom which is where I used to our DSL modem and netgear router. In the family room he installed a jack which is connected to the line he ran from the garage. That jack has a cat5 cable connected to it which comes from the actiontec router, currently sitting on the floor of our family room.

I think the reason I don't know my username and password is because we skipped that step because when it came to that point we both thought i didn't need it because I don't use verizon's email service, but now that I know about the PPPoE deal, it sounds like I need to know my username and password so that I can put that info into my netgear router. There's a form you can go through on the verizon service to register a username and password and tie it to your existing account, that's what I think I need to do now.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:51 PM
Burning Brakes

lol, the router is definietly in our living room. We don't even have a basement! I was watching him install everything and even asked how he was going to do the install and he said "however you want." So I requested he run cat5 instead of coax because we aren't using the FiOS TV service and I wanted to hook up my own router which requires cat5 and not coax. So, he ran a cat5 cable from the fiber box in the garage to our family room because it would have been too difficult for him to run a cable into our bedroom which is where I used to our DSL modem and netgear router. In the family room he installed a jack which is connected to the line he ran from the garage. That jack has a cat5 cable connected to it which comes from the actiontec router, currently sitting on the floor of our family room.

I think the reason I don't know my username and password is because we skipped that step because when it came to that point we both thought i didn't need it because I don't use verizon's email service, but now that I know about the PPPoE deal, it sounds like I need to know my username and password so that I can put that info into my netgear router. There's a form you can go through on the verizon service to register a username and password and tie it to your existing account, that's what I think I need to do now.

You sure have one unique FIOS setup going on.

So the line from the garage is currently going to the actiontec router in your family room? And are you trying to replace the actiontec with your netgear?
Old 06-18-2008, 06:12 PM
Team Owner

You sure have one unique FIOS setup going on.

So the line from the garage is currently going to the actiontec router in your family room? And are you trying to replace the actiontec with your netgear?
It's really not all that unique. The actiontec router can take either a cat5 OR coax input from the fiber box. most get the coax because that is required if you are running TV over the FiOS line, but we aren't so it doesn't matter to us. hence why I chose the cat5 line instead. IF we ever get TV over FiOS, which I doubt we will, they'll simply come out and add the coax line and I'll have to give up my netgear router and use their's instead i'm guessing.

And yes, I'm trying to replace the actiontec router with either the netgear router I currently own, or if I have to buy a newer one i don't mind.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:43 AM
Pro

That makes much more sense. lol

But yeah, what I said should work. If not, post again with what you did and what happened and I'll try to help you out. To simplify matters, you might want to just call FiOS support and try to get your username and password out of them.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:07 PM
There's alot of asian in

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL

im using my own linksys also, works fine.

the router they gave me work for 1 year and it burnt out due to power outage..and they wanted 150 for a new router..i was like wtf..

side note: fiber optic with verizon is good for USENET user...u get 9 days retention period and u dl at uncapped speed =)
Old 06-19-2008, 11:20 PM
There's alot of asian in

nice! looks like they upgrading me to 20/20 for free
Old 06-20-2008, 04:50 AM
Instructor

I just got my Fios service hooked up a few days ago and I really like it
Old 06-20-2008, 08:20 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by sifuacura
side note: fiber optic with verizon is good for USENET user...u get 9 days retention period and u dl at uncapped speed =)
9 days? Shit sign up with a real usenet provider and get 120 days retention.

www.usenetserver.com

If anyone wants to sign up, let me know so I can refer you. We both get credit for it.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:32 AM
Safety Car

Received 145 Likes on 90 Posts
Talked to the Verizon sales tech yesterday and determined they can split the bill between phone/internet and cable, so we might be passing the internet and phone bill on to the wife's employer. That might be an extra $100/mo in the bank.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Finally got my free 19inch HDTV this week and it only took 6MONTHS
Old 06-20-2008, 12:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
No Fios avail yet here. Though i am happy with my 15mbps service with RoadRunner. Just wish i had the 15 up
Old 06-20-2008, 01:53 PM
There's alot of asian in

9 days? Shit sign up with a real usenet provider and get 120 days retention.

www.usenetserver.com

If anyone wants to sign up, let me know so I can refer you. We both get credit for it.
9 days is good enough for me. Plus I get to use my fios speed.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:22 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,206 Posts
And yes, I'm trying to replace the actiontec router with either the netgear router I currently own, or if I have to buy a newer one i don't mind.
If this is still an issue this is what you need to do.

1. I assume that the installer put a Cat5 into the wan port of your actiontec. If he used Coax then you need to get Verizon to enable the Cat5 on the ONT or it will never work.
2. How old is your installation? If it is recent you most likely don't have PPPOe and don't need to worry about that part of the setup. If you are using PPPOe you can use any ID/Password you like, verizon doesn't authenticate but something needs to be there.
3. This is probably what your problem is: Before you disconnect your Actiontec you must go into the Actiontec control panel and release the IP that it received from Verizon. Verizon will only lease 1 IP to your house. If you don't release the IP you need to wait about 2 hours before they will give a lease to your other router.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:23 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,235 Likes on 824 Posts
Anyone have the TV/Phone/Internet package? Is it worth about 30 bucks more a month then what you get with Comcast?
Old 06-23-2008, 10:32 AM
Return of the Ring

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
We have the "triple freedom" bundle and we're satisfied. We switched from DirecTV, not :communistcast, but my parents have that and I believe they over-pay for what they get. They don't have HD, though, so it's hard for me to do an apples-to-apples comparison. I definitely recommend FIOS though.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:46 PM
Go Giants

FIOS Order is in
Old 07-03-2008, 04:06 PM
Team SSM

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
my fios "triple freedom" package is getting installed Saturday!!
Old 07-03-2008, 04:13 PM
Go Giants

Trying not to see if I can watch the Giants play in PA....Not sure, looks like you can watch on the Internet maybe.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:11 AM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by Whiskers
Trying not to see if I can watch the Giants play in PA....Not sure, looks like you can watch on the Internet maybe.
Anybody?
Old 07-28-2008, 08:17 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
I'd think you'd have to get the Sunday Ticket package if you want to be guaranteed seeing an out-of-market team every Sunday.

If you were a Pats or Cowboys fan, you'd probably only miss two games out of the entire year.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:28 AM
Go Giants

I read the Sunday ticket is only on Direct TV....?
Old 07-28-2008, 08:35 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
I read the Sunday ticket is only on Direct TV....?
Oops -- yeah you're right about that.

Guess you'll have to become an Eagles fan.....
Old 07-28-2008, 08:59 AM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by svtmike
Oops -- yeah you're right about that.

Guess you'll have to become an Eagles fan.....

Does anyone have a better idea? Did anyone use the Internet service?
Old 07-28-2008, 09:36 AM
Return of the Ring

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Does anyone have a better idea? Did anyone use the Internet service?
NFL Sunday Ticket is only on DirecTV, at least until 2012.

If you know somebody with DirecTV, if they sign up for Sunday Ticket there's also a Superfan package for an extra $100 that gives you games in HD, plus other stuff, and that now includes watching all of the games online. You can split the cost with your friend and you can watch the games online. I think this is the first year they're doing it, though, so I'm not sure about the quality but I'm going to find out.

Looks like NFL.com also has something called GamePass, where you can watch games online:

http://www.nfl.com/help/gamepass

They still have their mid-season info up from last year; not sure when they will update for this coming season. It says the full package is $280 a year, but if you only want Giants games you can get one game a week for $200.

Quick Reply: Verizon FiOS > *