Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Verizon coverage

Old 12-26-2007 | 10:52 AM
Pro

Verizon coverage

I've been trying to get Verizon to cancel our phones without the early fee because we moved in September, and there's no coverage anywhere in or around our house. I programmed my phone to look for the new towers or whatever, but nothing works. I have to walk down the stairs to the sidewalk to get any coverage.

When I called, the guy said they would have a tech drive around my street with a signal tester. Of course, that won't work, because on the street you have 3-4 bars of signal. If you walk up the stairs to my house, it's gone, or you get 1 or 2, which quickly drops the call if you turn the wrong way.

My work pays for this phone, and my angle is, it's ridiculous that I would potentially have to walk to the sidewalk in freezing cold weather to get an emergency call from work.

In my opinion, THEY are in breach of contract because I'm paying them for a service that I'm not getting. I know they don't cover inside of houses, but when I say the sidewalk, I mean it. That's where I have to go to get a stable signal.

Does anyone else have experience with this? It's ridiculous, and I want to cancel, but no way am I paying them over $300 to do it.
Old 12-26-2007 | 07:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Pete1burn
I've been trying to get Verizon to cancel our phones without the early fee because we moved in September, and there's no coverage anywhere in or around our house. I programmed my phone to look for the new towers or whatever, but nothing works. I have to walk down the stairs to the sidewalk to get any coverage.

When I called, the guy said they would have a tech drive around my street with a signal tester. Of course, that won't work, because on the street you have 3-4 bars of signal. If you walk up the stairs to my house, it's gone, or you get 1 or 2, which quickly drops the call if you turn the wrong way.

My work pays for this phone, and my angle is, it's ridiculous that I would potentially have to walk to the sidewalk in freezing cold weather to get an emergency call from work.

In my opinion, THEY are in breach of contract because I'm paying them for a service that I'm not getting. I know they don't cover inside of houses, but when I say the sidewalk, I mean it. That's where I have to go to get a stable signal.

Does anyone else have experience with this? It's ridiculous, and I want to cancel, but no way am I paying them over $300 to do it.
Wouldn't your work pay for the ETF?

If your work really needs you to have a phone at your house, tell them and maybe they'll switch your carriers.

Also if you bitch enough you might get an CSR to waive the ETF. it all depends who they are. also talking to there supervisor might help.
Old 12-27-2007 | 07:28 AM

I worked ther for 3 years as a store manager and we could basically do whatever we wanted to peoples contracts and plans as far as giving credits and waving fees and such. You just have to talk to the right person.

We had 3 reasons we could wave etf's. 1) You die 2) You are in the military and move out of the country 3) Your phone does not work where you live

Dont bother with the retards at CS. Go to their supervisor or go to a store and talk to a manager in person.

Good Luck
Old 12-27-2007 | 01:40 PM
Racer

I think somewere in all the fine print of the contract it says it does not guarantee reception inside of buildings.
Old 12-28-2007 | 07:57 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Berner
I worked ther for 3 years as a store manager and we could basically do whatever we wanted to peoples contracts and plans as far as giving credits and waving fees and such. You just have to talk to the right person.

We had 3 reasons we could wave etf's. 1) You die 2) You are in the military and move out of the country 3) Your phone does not work where you live

Dont bother with the retards at CS. Go to their supervisor or go to a store and talk to a manager in person.

Good Luck
Well the store manager pretty much told me to fuck off. He said they have never canceled a contract without a termination fee, and he's not going to start with me just because I don't get calls inside my house. He was a dick and he was making a scene in the store.

So I went outside and called customer service and told them about the experience I just had, and also told them that no one ever got back to me about the signal test in my area. I was very polite though. The woman came back after 5 minutes or so, and said no problem, go ahead and port your numbers and we'll waive the fee, and I'll make a note on your account about the manager of the store you just went to.

My new iPhone is shiny and sexy.

Thanks for the help all.
Old 12-28-2007 | 10:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Pete1burn
Well the store manager pretty much told me to fuck off. He said they have never canceled a contract without a termination fee, and he's not going to start with me just because I don't get calls inside my house. He was a dick and he was making a scene in the store.

So I went outside and called customer service and told them about the experience I just had, and also told them that no one ever got back to me about the signal test in my area. I was very polite though. The woman came back after 5 minutes or so, and said no problem, go ahead and port your numbers and we'll waive the fee, and I'll make a note on your account about the manager of the store you just went to.

My new iPhone is shiny and sexy.

Thanks for the help all.

Congrads!
Old 01-03-2008 | 04:27 PM
Mile High

I think its wierd how cell phones sometimes won't work inside structures (obviously basements and large buildings are an exception) in urban areas....yet where my parents live, they are 6 miles away from the only cell tower in our canyon and we still get 1 or 2 bars in the front of the house.

I just figured all the obstructions from the mtns would fuck with the signal.