Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Upgrade your V60c software @ Verizon

Old 08-06-2002, 10:46 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgrade your V60c software @ Verizon

Go to a Verizon Wireless store and have your V60c software upgraded for free to the same software that is in the new V60i. This takes about 15 minutes.

The upgrade gives you a calculator, games (poker, blackjack, falling numbers), newer version of the microbrowser, and an extra 100 memory locations (as if 400 entries weren't enough).

Your phone will then be identical in operation to the V60i minus the better antenna or removable face plates.

Note: The upgrade WILL erase your Datebook entries, saved Voice Notes, saved Voice Names, and saved text messages.

After the upgrade be sure to *228 your phone to recapture the preferred roam list (option 2) onto your phone.
Old 08-06-2002, 11:47 PM
Race Director

Plus it adds TTY capability. Hurry and get your new software.
Old 08-07-2002, 09:10 AM

r u for real????? will i loose all my numbers???? i dont want to put 200 #s back in again
Old 08-07-2002, 09:33 AM
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Do they do this for free??
Old 08-07-2002, 09:38 AM

i just called a verizon store, they said they do do it for free. grrr i forgot to ask if i'll loose all my #s
Old 08-07-2002, 10:03 AM
A-CL Official BMW Troll

Thanks for the info. I"m gonna go today.
Old 08-07-2002, 02:42 PM
Moderator Alumnus

No, u wont lose ANY of your phonebook entries..
Old 08-07-2002, 04:10 PM
A-CL Official BMW Troll

Originally posted by YuppieCL
No, u wont lose ANY of your phonebook entries..
I just went in to upgrade and they said "sometimes the phonebook will get erased". The process takes 30-45mins. I'm going to pick it up in 30 mins.
Old 08-07-2002, 05:21 PM
Darth Tator

went in to the store

waited for 30 minutes to hear that they don't have the update yet!!

Old 08-07-2002, 05:29 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by CarFreak

I just went in to upgrade and they said "sometimes the phonebook will get erased". The process takes 30-45mins. I'm going to pick it up in 30 mins.
ouch... that would def suck if your phonebook got erased. i had the really old software, so they had to upgrade to the previous release, then to the newest release.
Old 08-07-2002, 05:53 PM
A-CL Official BMW Troll

ouch... that would def suck if your phonebook got erased. i had the really old software, so they had to upgrade to the previous release, then to the newest release.
Just got my phone back and my phonebook is still there The upgrade was realy nothing, but I finally have games and a calculator on my phone
Old 08-07-2002, 07:50 PM

Just got my phone back, soo happy that phone book is still there. As soon as I put a banner on, it flashes between the banner and the verizonwireless banner, i got scared cause that means if im in roaming while my banner is on, i wont know so i took my banner off.
Old 08-07-2002, 10:37 PM
Moderator Alumnus

yeah... they told me it'll do that, and it does it on the phone. they didn't know the exact reason at the store... i doubt its because it switches networks, it does it sitting in the same spot, just probably a glitch (???). dunno.... my guess is that every time u see "Verizon Wireless" on the phone its because the network just refreshed the system.... similar to as if u missed a text message while u have no service, it'll keep trying to resend every 7 minutes. the network does know when you turn your phone on and off, so i'm assuming when we see that banner, its just rechecking the status of your phone.

by the way... who's as addicted to text messaging as i am? i must send and receive a good 20 messages a day when i'm bored.

new customers get it free for one month.
Old 08-07-2002, 11:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Has anyone done a comparison on the signal strength between the V60 and V60i? The signal strength on my V60 is pretty weak compared to my V8160. Is the new antenna on the V60i much better? At least for now, I can get the software upgraded but the signal strength is really bugging me.
Old 08-08-2002, 07:20 AM

I dunno about hte signal strength, at the store, both V60c and V60i have 5 bars. but then again, i guess they placed the stores at locations where they can get 5 bars.... I was just sitting here waiting for the sites to load in SMS and decided to try out the games. Falling numbers is cool... I cant get pass 19700 though. or was it 19200 it was in the 19000s. It just goes too fast at that point and the screen is so small.
Old 08-08-2002, 08:51 AM
on bin laden

the bars really don't mean much ...
Old 08-08-2002, 09:51 AM
Moderator Alumnus

the antenna on the v60i doesnt do anything to boost the signal. all it does is the nub part of the antenna fits over the base so it provides support to avoid breaking the antenna. this was probably everyones main gripe about the v60c since the nub actually sits on top of the base so if u sat down, your gut would bend the antenna eventually causing it to bend and break.
Old 08-08-2002, 05:00 PM
Darth Tator

i have been to 3 different verizon wireless store in so cal
and none of them seemed to know what i was talkin about

i called customer service and they said the stores would know more about them?

where can i go to get this upgrade in the LA area?
Old 08-08-2002, 05:28 PM
Darth Tator

okay make that 4 stores now
Old 08-09-2002, 01:00 AM
Race Director

Everything Verizon has and owns is different. Just like their network, their stores are different depending on where you go. Some stores have all the right equipment, other have very few. Some stores sell certain phones others never heard of 'em. When Verizon buys all these different cellphone companies and cram them together, you get a hodgepodge of equipment and services and everything. And believe me they aren't going to pay money to make it all the same.

To the customer, Sprint is the same, no matter where you go, all over the entire Nation. Can Verizon claim that? No. Every single Sprint store can give you a free software upgrade (if needed) because they ALL have the same Product Support Tool and the same software version and they read the same instructions, all on the one (same) server. And that's a fact.

It's what makes up lean and mean. Just like Southwest Airlines, an entire fleet with all the same airplanes so they save money on parts, maintenance, scheduling, planning, training, etc.

Sorry I couldn't resist this post because I remember the Verizon phones all had different PRLs in them depending on where you lived and people online would compare notes and all argue about what was really going on between their [totally different] handsets. Image if the CL was configured or operated differently depending on where you bought it or how you intended to drive it.
Old 08-09-2002, 09:24 AM
on bin laden

hahaha ... people say the same thing about sprint. i love how you so easily lay blame on something that isn't even a problem. the people working at the stores don't always know what their doing or saying. i've heard many stories about the same thing hapenning at sprint stores. and i think sprint is at a disadvantage in being stuck to build their network from the ground up, and have tried to turn it around into something positive. why, you ask? well, sprint's fucking BROKE ... verizon is making money. sprint's looking to be bought ... i know this ... but nobody is willing to take on their debt, so like Qwest, larger and better managed companies will wait until the greedy CEO's who buired their company to meet build plans and get their large bonues run away from the SEC, and they can pick up the spectrum for nothing.

Originally posted by kensteele
Everything Verizon has and owns is different. Just like their network, their stores are different depending on where you go. Some stores have all the right equipment, other have very few. Some stores sell certain phones others never heard of 'em. When Verizon buys all these different cellphone companies and cram them together, you get a hodgepodge of equipment and services and everything. And believe me they aren't going to pay money to make it all the same.

To the customer, Sprint is the same, no matter where you go, all over the entire Nation. Can Verizon claim that? No. Every single Sprint store can give you a free software upgrade (if needed) because they ALL have the same Product Support Tool and the same software version and they read the same instructions, all on the one (same) server. And that's a fact.

It's what makes up lean and mean. Just like Southwest Airlines, an entire fleet with all the same airplanes so they save money on parts, maintenance, scheduling, planning, training, etc.

Sorry I couldn't resist this post because I remember the Verizon phones all had different PRLs in them depending on where you lived and people online would compare notes and all argue about what was really going on between their [totally different] handsets. Image if the CL was configured or operated differently depending on where you bought it or how you intended to drive it.
Old 08-09-2002, 06:33 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by kensteele

WOW! with all due respect Ken, i know you're a very educated and articulate individual, but that has got to be the lamest selling pitch i have ever heard!

Verizon is the shiiiiiit everywhere I have ever been. Dude, i've seen people hangin out of windows just to talk on a cell phone. hands down, i'd never go with anyone else... for now at least. sprint is good where there are a higher concentration of towers, and thats def not in many places. my friends who go to school in NYC love sprint, cuz they only use it in the city.... try walking around a bit.... ha! its a joke.... sprints good if u carry a tower in your back pocket.
Old 08-09-2002, 06:37 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by riceboy
i have been to 3 different verizon wireless store in so cal
and none of them seemed to know what i was talkin about

i called customer service and they said the stores would know more about them?

where can i go to get this upgrade in the LA area?
maybe if you tell them the software upgrade you're looking for is Version 2200 they'll know what you're talking about. Not sure though.
Old 08-09-2002, 10:42 PM
Race Director

Hehe, that's really wasn't a "sales" pitch since customers probably don't care that much about a software upgrade; hopefully, they shouldn't need them.

But I have to disagree about Sprint service. It's pretty good in most places but I do know there are some pretty challenged cities. I've been to SoCal, parts of Chicago, Atlanta, and yes sometimes it's tough to place/keep a call. But right now I'm using Sprint in San Fran and I've been all the way down to Sunnyvale and up to Marin City and I've yet to drop a single call or have any trouble whatsoever. Maybe cause I'm always using a [newer] phone...but there's not much I can do to test the network, not my job. Maybe if Fotis wants to come to work for us....?

WOW! with all due respect Ken, i know you're a very educated and articulate individual, but that has got to be the lamest selling pitch i have ever heard!

Verizon is the shiiiiiit everywhere I have ever been. Dude, i've seen people hangin out of windows just to talk on a cell phone. hands down, i'd never go with anyone else... for now at least. sprint is good where there are a higher concentration of towers, and thats def not in many places. my friends who go to school in NYC love sprint, cuz they only use it in the city.... try walking around a bit.... ha! its a joke.... sprints good if u carry a tower in your back pocket.