Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

AT&T to drop Cingular brand

Old 01-12-2007, 10:36 PM
I Know Right?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sacramento Business Journal - 9:31 AM PST Friday

Cingular Wireless LLC and its orange bouncing jack logo will soon start to slowly disappear.

AT&T Inc. (NYSE: T) will begin on Jan. 15 the rebranding of Atlanta-based Cingular as simply "AT&T Wireless." As part of the rebranding, a new ad campaign will launch on Monday and AT&T will hire 400 new retail associates in its stores over the next year to push an in-store "emerging media experience" to demonstrate products and services to consumers.

AT&T, which is the dominant residential telephone service provider in Greater Sacramento, did not disclose the cost of the brand-transition campaign.

Cingular became part of San Antonio-based AT&T when AT&T completed its $85 billion purchase of BellSouth Corp. on Dec. 29. AT&T believes it will save 20 percent of operating expenses related to the AT&T/BellSouth merger from advertising, as all operations are moved under a single brand.

"Around the world, our customers recognize the AT&T brand for meaningful innovation, a commitment to customer service, high quality and exceptional reliability," says Edward Whitacre Jr., chairman and CEO of AT&T. "AT&T, BellSouth and Cingular are now one company, and going to market with our services under one brand is the right thing to do."

At first, new ads will feature both the Cingular orange jack logo and the blue AT&T globe logo. Cingular's "raising the bar" tagline will also be around a bit longer. Each transition campaign element will conclude with the Cingular and AT&T logos coming together while an announcer says, "Cingular is now the new AT&T." The broadcast spots will conclude with an animation in which the jack character appears to "skywrite" the AT&T globe.

As part of the re-branding, roughly 2,000 nationwide company-owned wireless retail outlets and store kiosks will transition in 2007 to AT&T-branded signage. The nearly 15,000 employees in these stores and kiosks will begin wearing AT&T-branded apparel in coming months.

Once the transition ends, the color orange will continue to be associated with AT&T's wireless services, while the Cingular brand will be phased out.
I'm down with it.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:24 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
meh, not a fan of cingular, never was a fan of at&t before the buyout either.

does make sense though for htem to do this.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:01 PM
I Know Right?

I was an ATT subscriber back in the day. Switched to T-Mobile after the merge and regretted it for the duration of that contract. Back to Cingular now and couldn't be more satisfied. I think the change is good because ATT is more widely recognized.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:46 AM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Cingular Bwns You.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:30 PM
I Know Right?

Old 01-19-2007, 12:07 AM
East Coast Crew

I saw my first commercial today while watching Supernatural about AT&T
Old 01-19-2007, 11:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Last night there was a commercial about Cingular, then they showed how Cingular is now "The New AT&T"...
Old 01-20-2007, 11:35 AM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
Too bad the ATTWS customer service won't be around for this second coming. What's really ironic is that I'm in Cingular's backyard and my service sucked after the merger.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:21 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
I never switched service to Cingular after my ATT contract expired. I told them I refused to pay any of their stupid fees so they left me with a month to month ATT (though it said cingular). I hate both companies but their coverage isn't bad.

Colbert report had a pretty good clip on the ATT/Cingular switching
Old 01-20-2007, 12:29 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
So Cingular buys ATTWS and changes all ATT to Cingular and then ATT buys Cingular and changes back to ATT.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:09 PM
I Know Right?

Originally Posted by subinf
I never switched service to Cingular after my ATT contract expired. I told them I refused to pay any of their stupid fees so they left me with a month to month ATT (though it said cingular). I hate both companies but their coverage isn't bad.

Colbert report had a pretty good clip on the ATT/Cingular switching
What fees does Cingular have that other carriers don't?
Old 01-20-2007, 04:21 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by driver centric
Usage Charges
(See Usage Charges Details)
TOTAL USAGE CHARGES $0.54
Credits, Adjustments & Other Charges
NATIONAL ACCOUNT DISCOUNT -19.00
FEDERAL UNIVERSAL SERVICE CHARGE 2.36
REGULATORY COST RECOVERY CHARGE 0.13
TOTAL CREDITS, ADJUSTMENTS & OTHER CHARGES $-16.51
Government Fees and Taxes
STATE COMMUNICATIONS TAX 7.71
LOCAL COMMUNICATIONS TAX 4.40
911 MONTHLY 0.50
TOTAL GOVERNMENT FEES and TAXES $12.61

This is what I get charged every month, but I am still on my old AT&T plan. I never "rolled over" to a Cingular plan.

I am happy to be back with AT&T, I just hope they let me keep my original AT&T plan. Thats funny, but I'm serious .
Old 01-20-2007, 05:29 PM
One on the right for me

About a year ago when I broke my phone I tried to buy another ATT phone from Cingular. I had to dial a special number since I still had an ATT account. They wouldn't let me get a new phone without paying a transfer fee to Cingular. I thought that was a bunch of shit and started buying old ATT phones off ebay so I could keep my ATT account.

Recently I called and they said the transfer fee was not as much as it used to be (it was 40 dollars or something and their reduced fee was 15) but I didn't want to give up my month to month. They then offered to "transfer" me to Cingular for free but I had to sign a two year contract.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:14 PM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
I never switched over to Cingular from ATTWS either. After the merger, my free incoming text messages that I had with ATTWS was not being honored until they fixed that problem. I finally got great reception after getting an unlocked phone that doesn't contain all of their bloat.

Oh, when I had to call up their CSRs to fix the problem of my minutes not starting over after a new billing cycle, they had the nerve to ask if their service was good before providing a solution for me. What kind of fucked up logic is that? I've never had this much problem when it was just ATTWS.

As for why I didn't switch providers, I'm not a fan of CDMA and T-Mobile sucks even more since I used to have them as a provider.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:52 PM
I Know Right?

Originally Posted by bspcivic
Usage Charges
(See Usage Charges Details)
TOTAL USAGE CHARGES $0.54
Credits, Adjustments & Other Charges
NATIONAL ACCOUNT DISCOUNT -19.00
FEDERAL UNIVERSAL SERVICE CHARGE 2.36
REGULATORY COST RECOVERY CHARGE 0.13
TOTAL CREDITS, ADJUSTMENTS & OTHER CHARGES $-16.51
Government Fees and Taxes
STATE COMMUNICATIONS TAX 7.71
LOCAL COMMUNICATIONS TAX 4.40
911 MONTHLY 0.50
TOTAL GOVERNMENT FEES and TAXES $12.61

This is what I get charged every month, but I am still on my old AT&T plan. I never "rolled over" to a Cingular plan.

I am happy to be back with AT&T, I just hope they let me keep my original AT&T plan. Thats funny, but I'm serious .
Hmm...seems like this is a lot of stuff you'd get charged no matter what carrier you're with. I could be wrong, I don't claim to know the industry all that well.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:55 PM
I Know Right?

Originally Posted by subinf
About a year ago when I broke my phone I tried to buy another ATT phone from Cingular. I had to dial a special number since I still had an ATT account. They wouldn't let me get a new phone without paying a transfer fee to Cingular. I thought that was a bunch of shit and started buying old ATT phones off ebay so I could keep my ATT account.

Recently I called and they said the transfer fee was not as much as it used to be (it was 40 dollars or something and their reduced fee was 15) but I didn't want to give up my month to month. They then offered to "transfer" me to Cingular for free but I had to sign a two year contract.

Yeah, that sounds pretty stupid of them. I guess they want to try hard to make sure everyone is on the new plan system.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:42 PM
One on the right for me

Yeah, that sounds pretty stupid of them. I guess they want to try hard to make sure everyone is on the new plan system.
I understand why they would like everyone to switch, my main problem was them charging me for the switch. The fact that they force all the previous ATT customers to pay the "transfer" or "new customer" fee is ridiculous. If they weren't so adamant about making me pay the transfer fee when I called last year then I would have probably switched. Now I like the month to month contract.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:43 PM
One on the right for me

By the way - here is the clip I mentioned earlier

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ni1uCGs61sE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ni1uCGs61sE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Old 01-21-2007, 12:25 AM
I Know Right?

^ LOL, that was hilarious and I actually learned some of the background of this craziness
Old 01-21-2007, 04:30 PM
Race Director

Received 883 Likes on 538 Posts
That was great. And true.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:43 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice clip to show the efficiency government forces on corporate America
Old 01-22-2007, 07:42 PM
4th Gear

That video was really funny, yet highly educational.

Cingular did try to get me to switch, when I wanted a Razr, back when they first came out. I went to 3 separate stores and they all said I would have to switch to a "Cingular Phone". I declined, after a month or two I called customer care and said I wanted to end my service. They informed me that I would be charged an early termination fee for breaking my contract. I responded, I never signed a contract with Cingular, I signed with AT&T. They basically said they inherited the contract from AT&T. I asked how come I couldn't inherit a AT&T plan with a Cingular phone. Eventually they said that they could send me a Razr that would work with my AT&T Sim card. I believe that was Cingular jargon for an "unlocked phone". Oh, I all most forgot, BUT I had to sign a two year contract. I am still on my unlimited minute plan and I don't plan on leaving any time soon.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:51 PM
One on the right for me

^ - thats pretty much what happened with me, although they wouldn't even send me a phone to work with the ATT SIM. Since I don't know anything about cell phones the guy was nice enough to tell my to buy an ATT phone off of ebay.