Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

AT&T dead last in Consumer Reports wireless survey

Old 12-02-2009, 03:20 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
AT&T dead last in Consumer Reports wireless survey

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/patterson/60353

Respondents in the annual survey hammered AT&T in just about every category, from voice service to the frequency of dropped calls. The big winner: AT&T's nemesis, Verizon Wireless.

Covering about 50,000 wireless chatters in 26 major cities, the Consumer Reports survey had little in the way of good news for AT&T, which has been taking a shellacking in recent weeks from Verizon and its devilishly effective "There's a map for that" ad campaign.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:16 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
was just going to post this....
Old 12-02-2009, 04:18 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I think this has to do with the proliferation of the iPhone. But, AT&T will improve once they can catch up with the demand.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:20 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
After messing with a few new Android phones man that new version is really making me pull away from my iphone like I want it now. But gotta wait to switch to Verizon once my contract is up.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same news every year
Old 12-02-2009, 04:24 PM
nnInn

Originally Posted by princelybug
I think this has to do with the proliferation of the iPhone. But, AT&T will improve once they can catch up with the demand.
Verizon will have iphone within the yr.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:32 PM
I love me some Curry...!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jupitersolo
how so.....?
Old 12-02-2009, 04:36 PM
nnInn

Originally Posted by wassystyle
how so.....?
AT&T's exclusivity is up and Apple has a company making a world phone that will work with Verizon's CDMA network.

many stories

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...q=0&oq=iphone+
Old 12-02-2009, 04:50 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

If/when they do, Verizon will be HURTING, just like AT&T is. But, AT&T has invested millions of dollars to try and improve their service. Once Verizon gets to market the iPhone, they will be years behind. Count on it.

AT&T's exclusivity is up and Apple has a company making a world phone that will work with Verizon's CDMA network.

many stories

It isn't 100% sure that Apple wants to make the iPhone available to other providers just yet.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:52 PM
I love me some Curry...!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
damn i cait wait not sure if i want to give up my BB tour ......

many stories

Old 12-02-2009, 05:05 PM
nnInn

If/when they do, Verizon will be HURTING, just like AT&T is. But, AT&T has invested millions of dollars to try and improve their service. Once Verizon gets to market the iPhone, they will be years behind. Count on it.

It isn't 100% sure that Apple wants to make the iPhone available to other providers just yet.
Yeah, they're making a version that will work with Verizon, that's MILLIONS of $$$$ for them. They're not?
Old 12-02-2009, 11:08 PM

Received 2,793 Likes on 1,988 Posts
I wouldn't get the iPhone on verizon anyways.
Just like the current apple ad says, you can't do both voice and data at the same time on verizon and sprint.

And I'm one of the few that hasn't had an issue with AT&T dropping calls/no 3G service etc etc.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:23 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Mizouse
Just like the current apple ad says, you can't do both voice and data at the same time on verizon and sprint.

And I'm one of the few that hasn't had an issue with AT&T dropping calls/no 3G service etc etc.
Bear in mind that this only applies to 3g, you can do both when on a wifi network.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:59 AM

What makes you say this? Once Verizon rolls out the LTE 4g network next year they will be WAY ahead of anyone else leaving ATT in the dust. This is also right around the same time they "should" start selling the iphone.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:28 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

^
I'm just saying, "Let's wait and see." That's all.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:45 AM

AT&T is having bandwidth issues BECAUSE of the iPhone, which they've had for 2.5 years. Their network won't be up to par for another few years. Apple would be foolish to stay with them when their contract expires.

Here's a Sept. article that explains more of AT&T problems with the iPhone.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...5&pageNumber=1
Old 12-03-2009, 01:40 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997

AT&T is having bandwidth issues BECAUSE of the iPhone, which they've had for 2.5 years. Their network won't be up to par for another few years. Apple would be foolish to stay with them when their contract expires.

Here's a Sept. article that explains more of AT&T problems with the iPhone.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...5&pageNumber=1
This is true. This is also why AT&T is spending tens of millions to update their fiber optics. But, for other carriers, who knows if they'll have to capacity to handle the iPhone and their users?

AT&T was not equipped to do so, but they're trying to catch up.

We have yet to see if any other carrier is up to the task. We'll know it when we see it.

But, if other carriers do end up with the iPhone, it is likely that they will not have the number of iPhone users as AT&T, since AT&T is the first and only iPhone carrier to date. So there is a chance that other carriers might never reach the volume of users as AT&T currently has.

Like I said, we'll see?
Old 12-03-2009, 01:56 PM
Got your mom in

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
my iphone works just fine.... no complaints here. customer service is ok by me
Old 12-03-2009, 01:56 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by Mizouse

I was with Verizon...now with AT&T...and for me I have better home reception with AT&T...so AT&T is better for me than Verizon.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:59 PM
Got your mom in

fuck consumer reports...... if it works for you then by all means go for it.

AT&T FTMFW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-03-2009, 02:09 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

^
True.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:17 PM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

many stories

It's already a quad band world phone. Both carriers are moving to LTE which is almost CERTAINLY the future of the iPhone. If verizon get's it, it will be a variant - which is all wide speculation.

Remember, verizon turned Apple down before.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:19 PM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Berner
What makes you say this? Once Verizon rolls out the LTE 4g network next year they will be WAY ahead of anyone else leaving ATT in the dust. This is also right around the same time they "should" start selling the iphone.
Also, LTE rollout will not be immediate and wide spread. Bear that in mind.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:22 PM
nnInn

Originally Posted by ludachrisvt
It's already a quad band world phone. Both carriers are moving to LTE which is almost CERTAINLY the future of the iPhone. If verizon get's it, it will be a variant - which is all wide speculation.

Remember, verizon turned Apple down before.
Yes they did, that was because Apple wanted so much control over what was to happen. Both sides have calmed down a little. Apple sees how much money is out there with Verizon and they see how much people want the iphone.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:24 AM

AT&T's 'Mark the Spot' iPhone App Admits Coverage Woes

Complaining to AT&T about poor wireless coverage has never been easier thanks to a new iPhone app.

Mark the Spot is no prank that somehow slipped past the App Store's censors. This is an official iPhone app from AT&T letting you report dropped calls, failed calls, lack of coverage, data failure, and poor voice quality.

In the app's information section, AT&T says it will use the reports to "optimize and enhance the network. Problems will be clustered to highlight areas for investigation." This app is as close as we'll see to AT&T admitting it's got a coverage problem.

The last few weeks have not been good for the carrier. First came Verizon Wireless' attack ads, which showed major gaps in AT&T's 3G coverage. Then came the ultimately failed lawsuit from AT&T to stop the ads. In the meantime, AT&T launched some terrible ads of its own. But I think the real killer was a Consumer Reports survey that ranked AT&T last among the major carriers in customer satisfaction. For all AT&T can say about the iPhone's success and customers' low turnover rates, you can't ignore unhappy people.

at&t appleSo now we've got "Mark the Spot," which at least makes you feel like your grievances are being heard. Yeah, it's kind of silly -- I find it odd that AT&T doesn't already know where its problems are -- but I like the idea. Here's AT&T admitting, albeit indirectly, that it's got problems. And instead of talking about those issues in another ad, which would be really embarrassing, "Mark the Spot" communicates directly to iPhone owners. It's a creative solution that actually takes advantage of the iPhone's ease of use.

Kudos to AT&T for taking a different stab at its coverage problems, even if we don't know how exactly the data from Mark the Spot will be used.

Just one warning to frustrated iPhone owners: AT&T says that multiple submissions from one person, for the same problem in the same area, won't be given extra weight. Your angry Mark the Spot spam won't bring relief any faster.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/18391...rage_woes.html
Old 12-08-2009, 11:46 AM
Got your mom in

^ still dont give a fuck, my iphone works fine
Old 12-08-2009, 03:06 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

https://acurazine.com/forums/technology-16/3g-vs-3g-whose-mobile-data-network-best-755289/
Old 12-08-2009, 03:20 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S

I was with Verizon...now with AT&T...and for me I have better home reception with AT&T...so AT&T is better for me than Verizon.
I originally had at&t, then switched over to Verizon. Extremely terrible service-including customer and reception. Switched back to At&t (cingular) back to at&t and very pleased with it.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:08 AM

Why Verizon’s anti-AT&T commercials are funnier than it realizes

AT&T sure did pick a smart time to bury the hatchet with Verizon. It turns out that AT&T’s 3G coverage map, small and laughable as it is, is even smaller than what we see on the Verizon commercials. The covered areas apparently include AT&T’s partners, which means you can get 3G service with towers that do not belong to AT&T, but are in a sharing agreement with the carrier. The only problem is that it costs AT&T a little extra to provide service through those towers, so if you go over a certain limit, AT&T will warn you, then shut off your service if you continue to consume data over that limit.

According to R. Scott Raynovich of Light Reading: <----Link

Upon arriving in Bozeman, my wife discovered some flaky data operation on her iPhone. After checking the AT&T map on the Website, we were assured that there was coverage in the Bozeman area. The icon on the phone showed full coverage. We couldn’t figure out why the data access wasn’t working properly.

Approximately one month later, AT&T began sending notes to my wife, making it known that they wanted to shut the data access off. We were consuming too much data, they complained. I called AT&T’s customer care and they informed me that, according to the iPhone Terms of Use, they reserved the right to turn off the data access to the iPhone whenever they want.

Why? I asked.

Here’s how it merges with the map controversy. The official AT&T customer service rep pointed out that that map on their Websites differentiates between 3G access via partners versus AT&T’s own towers. That distinction is not being shown on the current AT&T TV commercials featuring Luke Wilson, which appear to be running 58 times a day on NFL Sundays.

via Light Reading – Luke Wilson’s War – Telecom.

If you take a look at AT&T’s website, you’ll notice that a good chunk of its EDGE and GPRS coverage are split with other partnerships, too! AT&T accused Verizon of confusing customers regarding coverage, and that its maps don’t accurately depict just how much AT&T’s data networks cover. It’s true because we now realize it’s the opposite of what AT&T wants us to believe. If you move to an area where there is AT&T data coverage, like Raynovich and his wife did, but it’s via a partnership, you’re screwed.

http://trueslant.com/marcflores/2009...-verizons-ads/
Old 12-09-2009, 09:42 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
Wow...it's this kind of stuff that makes me glad I'm in a major metro area not near a border and only have a cell for calls rather than data or e-mail in metro areas, even when traveling.

Oh, and I have AT&T by default-- I started with LA Cellular, which was bought out and merged into AT&T's GSM network via Cingular, etc. Haven't had a problem with AT&T due to my limited usage in major metro areas.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:10 AM

^Yep. This is exactly why I don't use AT&T anymore. I live 30 miles from Milwaukee and their 3G coverage is non-existant. Not that it's super good in Milwaukee to begin with.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:36 AM
boost 3G

when i lived in birmingham and atl AT&T was the way to go but since moving from there AT&T is horrible and verizon picks up just as well as AT&T in metro areas plus more so i have to say verizon is the way to go im very pleased with them