Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Slingbox Usage on Verizon

Old 11-27-2007, 04:03 PM
Making it Happen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Slingbox Usage on Verizon

An agent at verizon said if you get the unlimited internet package but use slingbox on the phone, if you use slingbox too much to watch tv that verizon can somehow tell and they will ban and deactivate your service. Is this an empty threat or can verizon really tell when you are using slingbox?
Old 11-27-2007, 04:58 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes they can tell, and they will switch you to 1x connection. And when you call in and ask about it, they will tell you why and give you another chance with high speed. I dont think it's so much the data usage on the service, but the fact that you are using sling player instead of VCast's TV services. Sprint on the other hand doesnt bother you. Although there has been a case or two where sprint bothers someone about the slingbox, ive never experienced it myself though. Your best bet as a verizon customer is to use ORB with a tv tuner card to stream tv to your phone. That is the only way around the SlingPlayer issue.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:57 PM
Making it Happen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
can you go into more detail about this? "Your best bet as a verizon customer is to use ORB with a tv tuner card to stream tv to your phone. That is the only way around the SlingPlayer issue."

I wanted to use slingplayer and was going to get the blackberry pearl, but the lg voyager pulls in email as well as is so much more user friendly with a full qwerty keyboard
Old 11-29-2007, 11:11 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Renegade
can you go into more detail about this? "Your best bet as a verizon customer is to use ORB with a tv tuner card to stream tv to your phone. That is the only way around the SlingPlayer issue."

I wanted to use slingplayer and was going to get the blackberry pearl, but the lg voyager pulls in email as well as is so much more user friendly with a full qwerty keyboard
Get a tv tuner card with a hardware mpeg2 decoder. an ATI TV wonder pro will do. Attach your cable to the card. Goto orb.com and download orb. Follow the instructions to setup orb with your card. Visit my.orb.com with your device, login. And boom stream live tv channels trough your device. Orb also has a feature that lets you control your cable box. If you tv tuner card comes with IR support, you can run an IR wire to the cable box, and hook your box to the tv tuners video svideo or composite input. You can then tell orb to use the svid or composite to see your box. Then you can use the ir feature in orb to control your box. Orbs cable box control is no where near as good as the sling player, so i'd stick to regular cable for orb.