Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Roku live channels with Verizon Fios app?

Old 07-25-2016, 09:21 AM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
Roku live channels with Verizon Fios app?

Hey guys,

We are moving to a house, and need a new service. I could either get Verizon Fios or Comcast. Comcast has an app for Roku, which means that i could make due with one box, and then piggyback multiple TVs with Rokus, and avoid a $10-15 monthly charge per box, per TV.

Is FIOS that much better that I should pay the premium to get additional boxes?
Does Verizon Fios also offer an app? I have heard mixed reviews. Like they had one, but discontinued it. Is there anyway to get live TV channels on TVs that arent paired with a Verizon box?

Thanks.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:33 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,135 Posts
You don't need a Verizon box. You can provide your own box such as a Tivo and then rent a cablecard from Verizon. The cablecard is something like $3-$5 a month, can't remember exactly. Tivo Bolt + Tivo Mini seems like a good solution as I think you only need a cablecard for the bolt and the mini's piggy back off of it. I haven't used it though and you would need to also pay for the Tivo service. I have a Tivo HD. You can find Tivo HD with lifetime subscription for reasonable price on Ebay. If you go that route though and get multiple Tivo HD, each one will need a cablecard as they are old tech.

This place sells boxes Digital Cable Box and Modems | Stop renting and buy your own!
I believe they will also require cablecard.

I don't think verizon offers an app for roku, or like you said, they killed it.