Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Quick question on Microsoft Outlook

Old 02-04-2004, 08:08 AM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Quick question on Microsoft Outlook

I have Outlook on my home computer, and Outlook on my work computer. Is there any way to keep them synchronized? I use different email addresses at home and work.

I found a way to email one calendar to another account and give the other account editing priviledges, but can't I just link them up somehow so I have all my info in both places?
Old 02-04-2004, 08:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What you can do if your downloading from a POP Server.

When you set it up depending on where you want the last mail to be delivered, what you do is setup work lets say to download but leave a copy of the mail on the server, and then when you go home do the download like normal when it downloads off the server.

This way you can download at work to look at and keep the mail on the server, and when you go home it downloads it off the Server.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:39 AM
Yeehaw

ok that makes sense.

But what about the calendar? If I put events into my calendar at work, is there any way to get them to show up on my home computer (without transferring computer -> pda -> 2nd computer)?
Old 02-04-2004, 08:43 AM
Suzuka Master

I would not think this is a good thing to do, more because of archiving records and anything personal in the personal account going to work, it could create some legal problems in the future.

Depending on the company you work for, they may have to keep every record of every mail coming in. Also, if your ISP doesn't allow anyone but their own customers to download mail you wont be able to get it at work.

Just my
Old 02-04-2004, 08:48 AM
Yeehaw

I can do whatever I want with my emails and information. They don't archive anything. I can access my server from home or wherever. This part shouldn't be problem at all.

I just can't find a way to synch the calendars and contacts from two computers, but there must be a way.

What if you have a laptop and a desktop, both for work, as I know a lot of people do. There must be a way to keep everything synchronized between them (in Outlook) over the internet.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:59 AM
Still trolling

There used to be in Outlook 2002. You could share folders and define the email address of the person to share with. Anytime there was a change, it emailed a special file behind the scenes that was received by the other Outlook and updated. You never saw this occur unles you looked int eh "sent items" folder.

Now with XP and 2003, you have to use a third party solution, or an Exchange server.
Old 02-04-2004, 09:02 AM
Yeehaw

Thanks suxor.

Yeah it probably doesn't help that I am using different versions of Outlook at home and work.

I'll look into a third party.
Old 02-04-2004, 09:10 AM
Yeehaw

What a rip off. You have to use a program called 'outlook connector', which is part of MSN premium. Costs $10 a month.
Old 02-04-2004, 12:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your company doesn't use Exchange? Because if you do, and you already have access to your server at home, then you should be able to do it.
Old 02-04-2004, 12:53 PM
Poppin them thangs

If you know where your data files are stored, it should be on your work pc under C:/documents and settings/beetroot(whatever ur name is on your PC)/mail, it should be called beetroot.pst

Copy that file, and paste it to a network drive that YOU only have access to, most companies provide a personal drive on the network. (ie F:/beetroot/mail/beetroot.pst)

Now change your outlook at work to point to the data file that you just created on your personal drive...(F drive)

Now, at home, if you change the location of your data files to point to the same file on your personal drive at work. (F drive)
Old 02-04-2004, 02:04 PM
Yeehaw

Originally posted by melo72
Your company doesn't use Exchange? Because if you do, and you already have access to your server at home, then you should be able to do it.
Yes they do use exchange....but I just found out I am not special enough to be granted access to the server from home. I thought I would be able to but the programmers don't want to open the floodgates I guess.

Originally posted by G-UNIT
If you know where your data files are stored, it should be on your work pc under C:/documents and settings/beetroot(whatever ur name is on your PC)/mail, it should be called beetroot.pst

Copy that file, and paste it to a network drive that YOU only have access to, most companies provide a personal drive on the network. (ie F:/beetroot/mail/beetroot.pst)

Now change your outlook at work to point to the data file that you just created on your personal drive...(F drive)

Now, at home, if you change the location of your data files to point to the same file on your personal drive at work. (F drive)

If I can't access the network, could I put this .pst file on a website somewhere, and have my home computer synch up with the website instead of a network drive? I don't know if thats possible, but one of our IT guys said he could host it somewhere...??
Old 02-04-2004, 03:31 PM
Suzuka Master

do the PST thing, but just import/export the items you need (inbox/sent/calendar/etc.) depending on the size of the PST, you can copy to a CD, if you have a burner, or get one of the USB flash drives.
Old 02-04-2004, 03:51 PM
Yeehaw

Originally posted by GTKrockeTT
do the PST thing, but just import/export the items you need (inbox/sent/calendar/etc.) depending on the size of the PST, you can copy to a CD, if you have a burner, or get one of the USB flash drives.
Well yeah that would match up all the data in there as of right now, but what about stuff I add tomorrow? I want it to continuously synchronize every day/hour/minute or whatever.

Basically I want to find a way to do this without physically moving the data on a pda, flash drive, disk, etc.

I think I know the answer, and its pay for the crappy MSN premium service.
Old 02-04-2004, 03:52 PM
Masshole

Originally posted by suXor
There used to be in Outlook 2002. You could share folders and define the email address of the person to share with. Anytime there was a change, it emailed a special file behind the scenes that was received by the other Outlook and updated. You never saw this occur unles you looked int eh "sent items" folder.

Now with XP and 2003, you have to use a third party solution, or an Exchange server.
When did you change your username, Chris? Damn, a bunch of y'all have changed lately.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:45 PM
Yeehaw

In case anyone cares, I finally found an easy way to synchronize outlook accounts. If you download yahoo intellisync (you need to have a yahoo email address too) it will sync your contacts, calendar, notes, and to do lists from outlook with your yahoo account online. That can then be linked to another outlook application on another computer, and synchronized easily.

MS has a similar program but they charge you $10/ month for it. Yahoo is free.