Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

IT Professionals: Microsoft Certification

Old 02-16-2012, 04:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 72 Likes on 38 Posts
IT Professionals: Microsoft Certification

For those of you in the IT field and have Microsoft certifications, how did you study for them? I'm looking to get a MCITP, but have no idea where to start. Some classes I looked at cost $600+. Is there a cheap and effective way to study? I'm not much of studying by reading a book, so I'm looking for something more interactive.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:48 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Either the microsoft or sybex books are good. You should also have access to a couple of 2008 servers. Oh you said you hate books. Look for online video programs, they are pricey but then there is always
Old 02-28-2012, 11:27 AM
Safety Car

Received 145 Likes on 90 Posts
My early MCSE cert I got from Exam Cram books and a little from Technet. My MCSD.NET cert, I got from a boot camp and a lot of MSDN reading. When I get to the point of re-upping my certs, I will do a boot camp again.

Your training method should be consistent with your existing experience. A lot of the certification is terminology, so if you don't talk the same way, you're going to have a higher hurdle to understanding the concepts.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
yups those classes are expensive, especially if they are coming out of your personal pocket. I'm currently doing self study with CCNA and when I took a couple MCP's in 2000 (I know long over due) I enrolled in a couple classes but tuition was a killer! In my opinion some of the classes you can study on your own. But like what others have said videos online and couple MS and sybex books should do the trick.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:59 AM
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I went to classes and did self study for my MCSE and MCITP...Worked great...

Originally Posted by coykiam
yups those classes are expensive, especially if they are coming out of your personal pocket. I'm currently doing self study with CCNA and when I took a couple MCP's in 2000 (I know long over due) I enrolled in a couple classes but tuition was a killer! In my opinion some of the classes you can study on your own. But like what others have said videos online and couple MS and sybex books should do the trick.
I took the class and self studied for my CCENT and CCNA...It works...

check out

www.9tut.com
www.9tut.com
www.examcollection.com

And for any exam use www.examcollection.com with the VCE viewer to train yourself for the test...Do not memorize the questions but use them as a basis to get used to the way cisco and MS word their questions as that can be a big deal...

I can tell you for the CCNA to be able to answer all the questions on 9tut fast and know the reason for the answer...With the simulations you cant just cram and memorize...

For small certs like Security+, A+, Net+, and the like you can cram and pass easily within 3 days...
Old 02-28-2012, 12:01 PM
Pro

And CBT Nuggets...CBT nuggets IMHO is just as good as MOST classes you can go too...I know the CBT Nuggets I used for my cisco stuff and MS stuff were AWESOME...

You can find them places where people find stuff...

Some would say better then the MS Course I took at the MS Affiliated school or the Cisco Academy I went to...Between those 4 certifications it was a little over $20K...
Old 02-28-2012, 12:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
I did a self-study for Windows 2000 and XP, just used Microsoft's books.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:06 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
I did a self-study for Windows 2000 and XP, just used Microsoft's books.
IMHO you can do that with the MS tests as they are multiple choice and the answer is in the book somewhere...The thing is Cisco throws a curve ball by having 3-4 simulations on each test with each being different...I felt the MS tests were alot easier then the Cisco tests...

I refuse to even look at anything to do with CISSP...That cert is the devil and I will NEVER try for it...
Old 02-28-2012, 12:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisJ
IMHO you can do that with the MS tests as they are multiple choice and the answer is in the book somewhere...The thing is Cisco throws a curve ball by having 3-4 simulations on each test with each being different...I felt the MS tests were alot easier then the Cisco tests...

I refuse to even look at anything to do with CISSP...That cert is the devil and I will NEVER try for it...
I'd agree. I've seen the Cisco tests and a few others.. you either know it or you don't. The MS tests I did, you could 'study' and basically favored memorization as opposed to understanding the concepts.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:12 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
I'd agree. I've seen the Cisco tests and a few others.. you either know it or you don't. The MS tests I did, you could 'study' and basically favored memorization as opposed to understanding the concepts.
Yep check out the links to 9tut and the Exam Collections site...Its a great way to see how the other half live...My life is lived in CLI as I chose the networking path after 10 years of system/server side...I took Sec+, Net+, and A+ in the same 5 days...Taking less then a day to study for each as you could just memorize them...The MCSE I took a month...The MCITP I took a class that last 6 months...The cisco course took 8 months...Then I passed my CCENT and it took me another 4 months to pass the CCNA...Its a tough course but its worth it in the long run...

Negative about Cisco though...Well not really a negative as it makes you stay on your toes but they issues certs 3 years at a time...You have to either take the cert over or go for the next level cert to renew...CompTia has went to this as well but I am grandfathered in with them...MS hasn't went yet but I heard rumblings...So you cant ever really go lax on your training...
Old 02-28-2012, 12:15 PM
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
The MS books are actually pretty good, and the exam cram ones on top of that help. I know you said you don't like books, but so what, you can tell your college you don't like books and that doesn't mean they are going to accommodate you.

In addition to the books, find an online practice testing site, one that lets you take customized tests, and most importantly tells you why any answers are wrong and why they are right. I used measureup.com back in the day.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:15 PM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
ditto examcollections.com great study tool (but dont base your entire studies off of it obv).

got my A+ and N+ via self study. (i know i know, comptia certs arent that crazy good).
Old 02-28-2012, 01:18 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by ez12a
ditto examcollections.com great study tool (but dont base your entire studies off of it obv).

got my A+ and N+ via self study. (i know i know, comptia certs arent that crazy good).
In the Government they are...Anyone with elevated rights must have COMPtia Security+...knock that one out too
Old 02-29-2012, 11:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisJ
I went to classes and did self study for my MCSE and MCITP...Worked great...

I took the class and self studied for my CCENT and CCNA...It works...

check out

www.9tut.com
www.9tut.com
www.examcollection.com

And for any exam use www.examcollection.com with the VCE viewer to train yourself for the test...Do not memorize the questions but use them as a basis to get used to the way cisco and MS word their questions as that can be a big deal...

I can tell you for the CCNA to be able to answer all the questions on 9tut fast and know the reason for the answer...With the simulations you cant just cram and memorize...

For small certs like Security+, A+, Net+, and the like you can cram and pass easily within 3 days...
Thanks for the links and congratulations on passing your certs.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:18 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by coykiam
Thanks for the links and congratulations on passing your certs.
Thanks

CCNP is next