Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Problem: If company blocks Outlook forwarding to Crackberry...

Old 08-22-2006, 04:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Problem: If company blocks Outlook forwarding to Crackberry...

Ok, got a crackberry 7130c with Cingular...it's one of the most phone like crackberries out there to date: 7130c

My company has a contract with Cingular, but the company likes Treos, so everyone has Treos...so I got the BIS plan and not the BES plan which would be useless to me anyway. I figured that I can set up the Outlook Exchange server settings to forward mail to my crackberry address. The rule sets up without any errors or problems, but does not redirect to my blackberry address. I used to be able to forward mail from outlook a couple years ago, but I think they may have blocked the ability to redirect/forward to an external email address.

Does anybody know any way around this?

Last edited by mrdeeno; 08-22-2006 at 04:05 PM.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Uh, I'm a treo 650 user so forgive me if BBs totally don't do this, but I would look into getting Active Sync credentials from your IT department, in which case it should work swimmingly. As long as your company provides webmail service thru exchange (OWA) it'll work.

FYI, this is how I get my email to scheduled sync over the Treo's shitty versamail client. I also run Chatter as my regular push email client, but it has some limitations so I keep the original client connected in case I ever need to deal with attachments.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:44 PM
Suzuka Master

I actually just figured it out this morning...and my hard drive crashed about 2 hours later (it was going anyway...it was making clicky and grindy noises for the last couple months now).

The problem was when I installed the software, I didn't read the installation options well before installing, but that's not my fault. There are 2 choices when installing the software, BES (for crackberry enterprise server users) and BIS (for crackbery internet service). Of course, I don't have BES, so I picked BIS to install. Then after doing some googling, I was reading about desktop redirector being included, and was pissed off because I couldn't find this program or how to install it anywhere.

But then I uninstalled and reinstalled it last night on my home computer, and read the choices this time (short description after the 'BES' or 'BIS' choices). for BES, it says for blackberry users who have blackberry enterprise service or for desktop redirector. This is misleading because this should be a 3rd option or combined with the BIS...since desktop redirector isn't needed for BES users.

So in other words, you need to install the BES version even if you only have BIS if you want the desktop redirector. The redirector only works with Outlook exchange server, and the coolest part is that you don't need outlook opened for it to work...just need to be logged on and the redirector program working. This will allow me to log onto my email from the web (secure token crap, so i can't check it with the blackberry) while also getting emails forwared and being able to respond, and it'll show up as from my company email address, but with an editable note like "Sent via BlackBerry" or something. It's all automated too...it uses the windows logon info and goes to the server and redirects the mail, so the only thing I had to set up was the filters. It won't forward attachments (which is good), but I can just re-forward it to my hotmail address and then log on to hotmail from my crackberry for the attachments. And it forwards it 1-2 min. after receiving the mail, so it's not instantaneous, but this isn't instant messaging, so I don't care about that.

But my hard drive crashed anyway, so I'll have to reinstall this when the IT people get it back to me anyway.

Last edited by mrdeeno; 08-23-2006 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:56 PM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrdeeno
It won't forward attachments (which is good), but I can just re-forward it to my hotmail address and then log on to hotmail from my crackberry for the attachments.
If it won't forward attachements, then how could the attachment be available to reforward to hotmail?
Old 08-23-2006, 08:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by fast-tl
If it won't forward attachements, then how could the attachment be available to reforward to hotmail?
The actual message isn't technically ever on the handheld...just a virtual copy of it. A forward or reply goes all the way back to the corporate server before it's sent out to the recipient.

I think it works something like this...i receive an email (either corporate or hotmail or whatever)...the email servers are checked by the blackberry server (for hotmail) or desktop redirector (for outlook server emails), and if there is a new message, it copies the message contents and notes whether there are any attachments, and sends that copy to the handheld. When you reply or forward, the contents from your blackberry goes back through the blackberry server, then back through the hotmail or exchange server, and then is sent out to the recipient.

It works the same way when my hotmail is forwarded...the attachment isn't actually on my handheld, but with the hotmail linkup, i have the option of downloading the attachment to the handheld if i want. There might be an option to download the attachments on demand or automatically to the handheld with the desktop redirector, but with the sizes of the attachments i sometimes recieve at work, i'd rather not.