Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

PCS vision DATA test from Kansas to Chicago! (roadtrip)

Old 11-07-2003, 10:50 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
PCS vision DATA test from Kansas to Chicago! (roadtrip)

So I decided to see how well the vision data service works.

I connected my SPH-I500 to my Toshiba 9100 and added a delmore GPS reciever. Both using USB.

We took 35 to 80 to 88 to 55 to get to Chicago. Averaging 75-80 mph. (We're driving back now, I'm not driving)

PCS vision only dropped service once. And I always sustained around 15K/sec (bytes) downloads. And 6-8K/sec (byte) uploads.

Not bad! I'm very impressed. If anyone has ever made this drive it's not very exciting. And to be able to sit on the net at ISDN download speeds on a 7.5 hour trip is nice.

Vision data service!

I tried to stream some MP3's. My experience is most 96kbit sites will work OK. Good work from the PCS folks
Old 11-07-2003, 10:54 AM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
good to know...

how much does pcs vision cost anyway...I know its like 15/month but do they charge usage fees on top of that?
Old 11-07-2003, 10:57 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Beetroot
good to know...

how much does pcs vision cost anyway...I know its like 15/month but do they charge usage fees on top of that?

You know I'm not 100% sure on the costs. I work for Sprint and I don't pay my cell bill.

My package is the 2000 anytime minutes and unlimited nights/weekends/pcs to pcs/vision.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:29 AM
on bin laden

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
beetroot, that bill will be enourmous. sprint does not have an unlimited usage plan for data. on the other hand, if siggy had been using verizon, it would've cost him nothing, since they offer unlimited 3G data for $79.99 a month.

siggy, since sprint is only SIP (simple IP) there is no way for them to hand off one data call to another. you definately dropped on the handoff between MSC's. impressive that PCS did not drop otherwise. not sure what you were doing for testing or measuring, i can give you some hints as to what to look for next time if you'd like. it will give you a better measure of what system performance is.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:33 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,850 Likes on 2,588 Posts
I have Sprint, I pay 15 a month for vision on top of my regular plan, and nothing extra on top of that, this includes picture mail, short mail, using the net, messaging.

So to put it simply, fotis is wrong on this one. Sprint just changed up all their plans last month.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:48 AM
Race Director

Well I mean that's great Kansas to Chicago, but what is between those two cities nothing.

When I compare friends with Sprint in areas that matter to me (I.E. Southern Florida, NYC, Hamptons, Westchester, PHXMetro and Southern Cali)

Verizon has always beat Sprint, that's enough proof for me.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:52 AM
Yeehaw

I just called Sprint to ask them. I asked if I have pcs vision and I plug my phone into my laptop to use as a modem, what the rates are. They told me that you cannot do this anymore with Sprint and that the PCS Vision service will not accomodate it. She said if I was able to connect somehow, I would be charged by the minute.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:53 AM
on bin laden

Originally posted by sarlacc23
I have Sprint, I pay 15 a month for vision on top of my regular plan, and nothing extra on top of that, this includes picture mail, short mail, using the net, messaging.

So to put it simply, fotis is wrong on this one. Sprint just changed up all their plans last month.
you do not get tethered data with that ...

but like I always say .... what do I know?

Old 11-07-2003, 12:04 PM
The Third Ball

Originally posted by fbazakos
you do not get tethered data with that ...

but like I always say .... what do I know?

Well you were talking about 3G in general. I can have my phone online all day and i wont get dinged for it.

tethering data/ using your phone as a modem, different story and i would imagine youd get charged for it. you're saying you dont get from verizon for that application?
Old 11-07-2003, 12:15 PM
on bin laden

Originally posted by sarlacc23
Well you were talking about 3G in general. I can have my phone online all day and i wont get dinged for it.

tethering data, different story.
This thread is about what Siggy was doing, which is what I was talking about. I never said anything about "3G in general" so I'm not sure where you got that.

Your phone online doesn't use anywhere near the network resources as to what siggy was doing. Nobody could afford to give that away... trust me.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:18 PM
The Third Ball

alright, cool misread then.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:27 PM
cor
MR O'NEAL

Originally posted by pgatour1
Well I mean that's great Kansas to Chicago, but what is between those two cities nothing.

When I compare friends with Sprint in areas that matter to me (I.E. Southern Florida, NYC, Hamptons, Westchester, PHXMetro and Southern Cali)

what's between those two cities?-- try southern iowa or nothern missouri, come on-- give those people some credit for exisiting
Old 11-07-2003, 12:45 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by fbazakos
beetroot, that bill will be enourmous. sprint does not have an unlimited usage plan for data. on the other hand, if siggy had been using verizon, it would've cost him nothing, since they offer unlimited 3G data for $79.99 a month.

siggy, since sprint is only SIP (simple IP) there is no way for them to hand off one data call to another. you definately dropped on the handoff between MSC's. impressive that PCS did not drop otherwise. not sure what you were doing for testing or measuring, i can give you some hints as to what to look for next time if you'd like. it will give you a better measure of what system performance is.

Fotis I test wireless systems for my job... so I don't think I need any hints. Been doing it for 5 years man prolly could show you a few things. I've tested over 10 vendors.

I downloaded a 80MB file. And I defintely switched cells inbetween.

Your also wrong about Sprnt service plans. They have unlimted vision....
Old 11-07-2003, 12:50 PM
The Third Ball

Originally posted by SiGGy

Your also wrong about Sprnt service plans. They have unlimted vision....
Thats what I said.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:50 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I used MGEN and sent sequential UDP packets (I re wrote the app MEG to inclue a large integer which accumulates per packet) So I can see what the packet loss is.

I also did a FTP test & HTTP with large files all of these test while moving b.t.w.

UDP will show you the highest throughput you can achieve. TCP has many issues with xfers. TCP resend, ACK bits, TCP windows size... Take awhile for TCP to figure out how to send effieciently. And if one packet gets dropped TCP goes into a backoff. Which totally messes up throughput.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:51 PM
Yeehaw

hey siggy...when I just called Sprint the person told me that I can't plug a PCS Vision phone into my laptop to use as a modem. Were they full of shit?
Old 11-07-2003, 12:51 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

anthony. you are stupid.

you know damn well Sprint works excellent in the northeast... there isnt a single dead spot from Manhattan to Albany. And long island is fine.

are for south florida one of my best friends lives in Miami........ I talk to him Sprint to Sprint all the time.

so dont be fucking ignorant.

oh... and to further the stupidity of your comment. if there was NOTHING in between kansas and chicago that would be an even bigger plus to sprint. but fact is there is alot out there in the midwest.

fuck i cant believe i just read this stupid dribble from you
Old 11-07-2003, 12:54 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Beetroot
hey siggy...when I just called Sprint the person told me that I can't plug a PCS Vision phone into my laptop to use as a modem. Were they full of shit?
What I am doing is NOT supported! You can purchase PCS vision PCMCIA cards to do what I am doingl legimately.

Although if you do happen to get a USB cable for you phone. The phone will add itself as a CDMA modem (i.e. regular modem in windows). (if you have the drivers). Setup dialup networking with that modem. And dial "#777" leave username/password blank.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:54 PM
The Creator

lol. siggy bitchslapped fotis.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:01 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Welp, I'm gonna packup my notebook and things. LOL, my boss sitting next to me way saying he spends an additional $10 for unlimited vision. However his disclaimer is it's a california package.

However I believe the $10 is nationwide. But I'm not sure.

Anyway, i'll check back later on this thread
Old 11-07-2003, 01:01 PM
The Third Ball

Originally posted by SiGGy
What I am doing is NOT supported! You can purchase PCS vision PCMCIA cards to do what I am doingl legimately.

Although if you do happen to get a USB cable for you phone. The phone will add itself as a CDMA modem (i.e. regular modem in windows). (if you have the drivers). Setup dialup networking with that modem. And dial "#777" leave username/password blank.
So siggy, what you are saying is with sprint unlimited vision and the usb cable or card you can use your phone legitimately as a modem and you you wont get charged extra for it???
Old 11-07-2003, 01:11 PM
The Third Ball

Originally posted by soopa
lol. siggy bitchslapped fotis.
lol. I know ill get flamed for this cause but...

fotis needs to stop being mr. all knowing in the cell phone world when the truth is he cant see past verizons nuts on his chin.

You know youre shit with cell phones no one is denying that, but youre so fucking proverizon and seems you really dont keep an eye as to what the other companies have or are doing. So then you comment on Sprint or whoever, make us non cell people feel like we were wrong, when in fact we were correct, even if partially so.

If we didnt have kensteele or Siggy who knows how much fucking bad info youd spreading.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:21 PM
Race Director

anthony. you are stupid.

you know damn well Sprint works excellent in the northeast... there isnt a single dead spot from Manhattan to Albany. And long island is fine.

are for south florida one of my best friends lives in Miami........ I talk to him Sprint to Sprint all the time.

so dont be fucking ignorant.

oh... and to further the stupidity of your comment. if there was NOTHING in between kansas and chicago that would be an even bigger plus to sprint. but fact is there is alot out there in the midwest.

fuck i cant believe i just read this stupid dribble from you
You ok over there, you seem a little cranky to me.

And compared to the places I mentioned, Southern Cali, Souther FL, NYC there is no one in between Kansas and Chicago.

And I know sprint doesn't work that great in areas of the NE, when we are out in East Hampton, my buddies with Sprint have one bar or none, I might have 3 with Verizon.
In Greenwich, CT or Rye, NY people with sprint will have 2 or so when I have 3 or 4 bars.
Miami that's great, that's a major city. What about Boca Raton, or Boynton Beach. I have compared Sprint with Verizon at my uncles house in boca and I'm always ahead on bars. So maybe my post isn't as stupid as you once orignally believed.

Now take the stick outta ya ass.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:24 PM
Race Director

There is only one city that they past with more than 1 million people in that whole trip they took

that was Des Moines. So what are you talking about. the route they took to Chicago is not a very populated route. It is also a very flat route not a lot of mountains and trees to get in the way either.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:33 PM
The Creator

And compared to the places I mentioned, Southern Cali, Souther FL, NYC there is no one in between Kansas and Chicago.

And I know sprint doesn't work that great in areas of the NE, when we are out in East Hampton, my buddies with Sprint have one bar or none, I might have 3 with Verizon.
In Greenwich, CT or Rye, NY people with sprint will have 2 or so when I have 3 or 4 bars.
Miami that's great, that's a major city. What about Boca Raton, or Boynton Beach. I have compared Sprint with Verizon at my uncles house in boca and I'm always ahead on bars. So maybe my post isn't as stupid as you once orignally believed.

so your measure is on bars?! hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

i have 3 phones sitting in front of me.

two sanyos, and an lg... all sprint. 1 sanyo has full bars... another has 4 out of 5... and the LG has 1 bar. but the LG also only has 4 bars total on its screen.

goddamn you can be stupid.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:45 PM
Race Director

so your measure is on bars?! hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

i have 3 phones sitting in front of me.

two sanyos, and an lg... all sprint. 1 sanyo has full bars... another has 4 out of 5... and the LG has 1 bar. but the LG also only has 4 bars total on its screen.

goddamn you can be stupid.

Awww shit, I swear to God. I'll see you soon enough.

How the fuck else should us commonfolk compare cell phone, I always thought it was on bar.

Oh and watch your fucking tounge. :P
Old 11-07-2003, 02:47 PM
The Creator

Awww shit, I swear to God. I'll see you soon enough.

How the fuck else should us commonfolk compare cell phone, I always thought it was on bar.

Oh and watch your fucking tounge. :P
you swear to god huh? :fag:

bars mean nothing. its a fuckin pacifier.

ill speak to you however i want bish. you know id put you in the dirt if you ever told me to watch my tongue in person. :fag:
Old 11-07-2003, 02:54 PM
Race Director

you swear to god huh? :fag:

bars mean nothing. its a fuckin pacifier.

ill speak to you however i want bish. you know id put you in the dirt if you ever told me to watch my tongue in person. :fag:

Hold on let me be gay
E-THUG ALERT

You can talk to be however you want, you know there just might be some repercussions likethere would have been with that mexican kid at Subway.

now, back to being me. It's on bitch. Looks like I got to fight you, ernie and chris now.

Oh man this is going to be a cake walk.

Oh about the bars, didn't know that. See learn something everyday.

And put me in the dirt, that's my fucking line bish. This christmas i'll be home.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:55 PM
Suzuka Master

My new LG gets 1-2 bars most of the time and I can make flawless calls. In the same room, my old LG would get 4-5 bars. If that phone went down to 1-2 bars, the call would be broken up.

BTW, I lived in Greenwich for a short time and I had no problems whatsoever with Sprint.

My gf lives in Manhattan. She has Verizon, I have Sprint. Our signals are almost always about the same. No big difference at all in the NY area in my experience
Old 11-07-2003, 02:57 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by cusdaddy
My new LG gets 1-2 bars most of the time and I can make flawless calls. In the same room, my old LG would get 4-5 bars. If that phone went down to 1-2 bars, the call would be broken up.

BTW, I lived in Greenwich for a short time and I had no problems whatsoever with Sprint.

My gf lives in Manhattan. She has Verizon, I have Sprint. Our signals are almost always about the same. No big difference at all in the NY area in my experience
Word you got the same in Greenwich, my buddies would always have no service in the Greenwich. Rye Brook. rye area

Nah I didn't say NYC I'm talking out eastern LI. Sprint doesn't do as well as Verizon in the hamptons.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:57 PM
Movin on up...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
fotis/siggy
adam/tony....

THIS IS GONNA GET INTERESTING!!!!
Old 11-07-2003, 03:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Word you got the same in Greenwich, my buddies would always have no service in the Greenwich. Rye Brook. rye area

Nah I didn't say NYC I'm talking out eastern LI. Sprint doesn't do as well as Verizon in the hamptons.
I lived closer to 95 so I never had a problem with service. In the real back areas of CT away from the highways, Sprint sometimes has issues, but overall it's not bad...

I rarely go to Rye & the Hamptons so I can't compare, but I'll definitely take your word for it as Sprint is usually not as good in less populated areas
Old 11-07-2003, 03:46 PM
Race Director

Well I'm gonna jump in here. I should be online all the time because every single one of my phones can be used as tethered data to a laptop computer and I can surf the Internet....unlimited....forever. So here's the facts because, believe it or not, I help write 'em.

Sprint does not have a PLAN that included unlimited tethered 3G data. Therefore I have instructed Customer Solutions to tell customers that this "is not allowed." But what comes out of their mouth and what really happens "in the real world" are two different things. Every Sprint 3G phone WILL WORK on tethered 3G data, after all most of the same Sprint and Verizon phones are identical. Hook it up to your laptop, if you can find a cable because WE DON"T sell them, and you are good to go UNLIMITED. However, if we catch you, IT IS AGAINST THE RULES and you might get charged. In fact, you'll get warned, the next time, you'll probably get charged and/or cancelled. So if you do it, don't do 2000 hours a month, keep it down to like a 100 or so...but you didn't hear that from me. It IS being monitored for abuse.

Anyway Fotis, not SIP, MOBILE IP. I can keep a data call up for as long as I drive, the entire trip. You're just disappointed because Dave did it and only had one drop which is totally contrary to your theory that the Sprint network is full of holes and that are phones drop calls constantly. The fact is...they don't. People even tried to say the midwest is like the moon and there's no people around. Built a few houses and grow some tree and the Sprint network goes bad. BS.

My friend in Scottsdale. Forget you even seen the bars on your phones. I'm holding the CDMA spec in my hands. Whoops I just dropped them in the garbage can. Yes we have rules but I have never enforced those rules and my collegues have not enforced them vigorously. Meaning for the most part, you can tell something about the bars using the same exact phone model with the same software version. But you can't compare across models. The only spec I have enforced (because manufacturers do try to "cheat") is that the phone should not show full strength "all the time" and it should be linear. And I'm just the marketing guy. Otherwise 2 bars on one phone might be equivalent to 4 bars on another phone model in one spot and across town, 3 bars might be equal to 5 bars. If you really want to know how well the phone does, you have to go into the debug screen. and then you have to understand some other things because that's not all there is to it. I am a big advocate of doing away with the signal strength meter totally. Because you can have 4 bars and NOT be able to place a call (for other reasons) but the customer doesn't understand this. Or you can have 1 bar and your call will be just fine. Anyway, we already know the Sprint and Verizon are equivalent in most places in the US, of course there are some places where they are not. And you would be a fool to think that the Verizon network is 100% better than the Sprint networkin 100% of the places. That's just plain naive. In fact, you would be fool to believe that Sprint is even marginally worse than Verizon in some places.

So yes, sometimes Fotis will try to trick you guys into believing that Verizon is so so superior. Because they have more money in the bank account or they have more customers to service or they answer their phones faster or they spend more money on tower maintenance. But it's not like that, not at all. And I have always tried to keep the balance here....but I can't speak for everything at Sprint. Only the phones. And the phones at Sprint absolutely without a question are beating Verizon today. But instead of Fotis agreeing with that, he says the phone means absolutely nothing to the customer, so we can have them! Instead he says customers are interested in net profit, return on investment, my 3% churn vs his 1% churn. Go to a Sprint store, if you can get into one, the Quarry in San Antonio is so packed with customers....

It's not easy cause Sprint has to fight this battle with Verizon and others everyday...on Wall Street, in the newspapers, magazines, radio, news, even on the Internet. I digress. I used to work at General Mills, the second largest cereal company. Even though Cheerios is the most popular cereal on the planet, I still had the #1 Kelloggs people telling me that their company was better and more people preferred Kelloggs to General Mills because they delivered more cases overall to Kroger and Albertsons and Costco and Vons and Fleming and HEB and Lucky.....same thing here with cellular carriers.

Sarlacc you were right. Don't let Fotis change your mind, he doesn't have all the facts and even if he did, who's to say he would share them here. Like he's not telling you about PTT for example. Dave had a good run. And he report nothing less than the facts, right here to the forum from some places that resembled the moonscape. Yes he does work for the PCS division of Sprint. But he has no reason to lie. And he's an expert in his field, Fotis always trying to turn an explanation into a technical battle...sign oh well.

It's a fact. Sprint has more data/Vision customers than Verizon has GetItNow/data customers. Sprint has a comparable business portfolio to Verizon. You have State Farm we have Progressive. You have Continental, we have Delta. You have Citibank we have Chase. Those are [fictious] examples. The Sprint 3G network is larger than the Verizon 3G + EVDO network. Larger in square area, larger in customer usage. One place Verizon got use beat for sure, Verizon has a whole bunch of teens using the free phone text messaging and prepaid. Millions and millions. That's why they have so many customer adds and why their average revenue per customer is lower than Sprint.

When you make your choice of carriers, make the choice that is right for you, where you live, where you work, at your price. The Sprint brand is definitely bigger and better than the Verizon brand. But don't go by that...wait till you see what's coming for the Holidays.
Old 11-07-2003, 03:51 PM
Race Director

Wow the cell phone wars. Man, learning a lot.
The only thing I know about cell phones is the T720 SUCKS!!!

My whole point is I have not had problems with Verizon's service ever.
And I know for example a good friend of mine disliked his Sprint Service and swithced to Verizon
My mom hated her At & T service and switched to Verizon.

For the most part I am in a major city so it doesn't matter but when tested I just have always seen verizon being better for service.
Old 11-07-2003, 04:00 PM
Race Director

This is a great article dated as recently as July 2003. I won't post the whole thing, just click on the link. Reading this article out of the UK, you might wonder.

http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/July2003/5642.htm
Old 11-07-2003, 04:02 PM
The Third Ball

This is what im talking about with Ken, yes he works for sprint and so he will push sprint, but he understands that they arent the only ones out there and other companies have their advantages and disadvantages also, And an individual should go with what best suits them, even if its not sprint. That is smart business.
Old 11-07-2003, 05:42 PM
The Creator

Originally posted by mikeymobiles
adam/tony....

THIS IS GONNA GET INTERESTING!!!!
nothing interesting about it.

tony knows what would happen if he ran his mouth like this to me in person.

im gonna video tape next time we chill and lets see if he acts up

frontin ass beyotch
Old 11-07-2003, 05:49 PM
Movin on up...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ken your posts are so fucccccckking long dude...
Old 11-07-2003, 05:49 PM
The Creator

And I know for example a good friend of mine disliked his Sprint Service and swithced to Verizon

My mom hated her At & T service and switched to Verizon.
and i disliked my verizon service and switched to sprint....... no complaints since........... OTHER THEN POS SHORTMAIL. but thats another story.

my mom switched from Cingular to Sprint.
Old 11-07-2003, 05:52 PM
The Creator

and tony you know i always back you up. shit...... ive commited felonies with you. your my brother.

but you know damn well in this thread your being a fucking idiot.

either make a point or stfu meng cuz your embarrasing me. haha

Quick Reply: PCS vision DATA test from Kansas to Chicago! (roadtrip)