Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Ok who here knows Linux

Old 01-16-2002 | 05:45 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Ok who here knows Linux

I can really use some help. PM me please I have 48 hours to resolve this
Old 01-16-2002 | 06:15 PM
I have the need for speed

What do you need to know?
Old 01-16-2002 | 06:27 PM
The Creator

your not gonna get any help unless you let us know wtf the problem is.

speak up bish

48 hrs is long time
Old 01-16-2002 | 06:58 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Well, I guess I need to find out what version of Linux Novell runs with Zenworks 3.2 first

I am doing product research for my company and they wanted me to play with Zenworks Imaging.

This is how it works, using a boot cd or boot disks, you basically run a kernel that handles the imaging of a workstation. This kernel knows the IP address of the file server that is running the imaging NLM's. The imaging server software then sends an image to the target workstation. (the one you booted up in linux)

My problem is that I can't find a compiled driver for an Intel 100proVM Nic card so what happens is, you feed these 3 linux boot disks in and it builds and runs the kernel, then it asks for the driver disk. I DONT HAVE THE DRIVER!
I searched on the internet and all I find is instructions on how to make one yet I have no fucking idea LOL since my company runs no linux servers I can't even build this shit.

I downloaded the driver from Intel.com but the readme makes no sense, I have to build the driver wtf?

http://appsr.intel.com/scripts-df/fi...FullName=Linux*&submit=Go%21[/URL] http://appsr.intel.com/scripts-df/De...0&DwnldID=2896

Above is the driver I need, can anyone:

Either build or help me understand how to get this driver to load or work in Linux? HELP!
Old 01-16-2002 | 08:09 PM
Banned

You know.......if you weren't writing a novel, you'd probably have the answer figured out by now.

Just playin'.
Old 01-16-2002 | 10:17 PM
I have the need for speed

eclipse, first download the file onto a floppy. do you have another linux/unix machine where you can unzip the file?

e100-1.6.29.tar.gz is a tarred file and also gzipped (compressed) First you need to untar it (command is tar -xvf e100-1.6e100-1.6.29.tar.gz.), then decompress it (command is gzip -d e100-1.6.29.gz)

Since you have windows, maybe you can unzip the files using winzip or winrar, or some other compressing/deompressing utility out on the internet. save the drivers in a directory and copy them over to a disk. hope this helps a bit.
Old 01-17-2002 | 07:19 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by jcl_cls01
eclipse, first download the file onto a floppy. do you have another linux/unix machine where you can unzip the file?

e100-1.6.29.tar.gz is a tarred file and also gzipped (compressed) First you need to untar it (command is tar -xvf e100-1.6e100-1.6.29.tar.gz.), then decompress it (command is gzip -d e100-1.6.29.gz)

Since you have windows, maybe you can unzip the files using winzip or winrar, or some other compressing/deompressing utility out on the internet. save the drivers in a directory and copy them over to a disk. hope this helps a bit.
Thank you soo much, I'm going to try this today. Winzip Classic actually opens up the Tar file. Now that it's open there is an SRC directory w/ a ton of files in it as well as the root which has a ton of files in it. The readme has instructions on how to build the driver (presumably out of the parts provided) that's where I get lost LOL. I'm also going to go over to linuxnewbies.com and see what I can do to educate myself.
Old 01-17-2002 | 10:52 AM
Banned

Fotis....where you at on this one?!
Old 01-17-2002 | 10:59 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by eclipse23
Well, I guess I need to find out what version of Linux Novell runs with Zenworks 3.2 first

I am doing product research for my company and they wanted me to play with Zenworks Imaging.

This is how it works, using a boot cd or boot disks, you basically run a kernel that handles the imaging of a workstation. This kernel knows the IP address of the file server that is running the imaging NLM's. The imaging server software then sends an image to the target workstation. (the one you booted up in linux)

My problem is that I can't find a compiled driver for an Intel 100proVM Nic card so what happens is, you feed these 3 linux boot disks in and it builds and runs the kernel, then it asks for the driver disk. I DONT HAVE THE DRIVER!
I searched on the internet and all I find is instructions on how to make one yet I have no fucking idea LOL since my company runs no linux servers I can't even build this shit.

I downloaded the driver from Intel.com but the readme makes no sense, I have to build the driver wtf?

http://appsr.intel.com/scripts-df/fi...FullName=Linux*&submit=Go%21[/URL] http://appsr.intel.com/scripts-df/De...0&DwnldID=2896

Above is the driver I need, can anyone:

Either build or help me understand how to get this driver to load or work in Linux? HELP!

Ohhh, i'm doing the same testing now You'll have to let me know how the imaging goes. We're using ghost and i love it but Zenworks imaging would really provide some cool features that would make my life alot easier.

NOVELL RULEZ!
Old 01-17-2002 | 11:05 AM
on bin laden

Originally posted by mffdvr
Fotis....where you at on this one?!

Sorry, strolled into work just now at 11am ... ernie, wtf, you have my phone number ... guess you were gonna call me when you have 5 minutes left
Old 01-17-2002 | 11:36 AM
Cruisin'

Zapata -

Novell DOES rule!!!!

Ever checked out the web site: http://www.whytheylie.com

Super cool site for Novell folks!! - Especiall the rant & rave forums!!