Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Is it ok to plug a laptop's adapter into the usb port after pugging it in the wall?

Old 12-07-2005, 08:06 PM
Not a Registered User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it ok to plug a laptop's adapter into the usb port after pugging it in the wall?

My cousin bought a Dell 600m last year, but now his computer is "dead". He was plugging the usb end of the adapter into his laptop after plugging it into the outlet.

A friend of his said plugging in the usb after plugging the adapter into the outlet "fried his motherboard", but neither of them know much about these things. Apparently you're supposed to plug the usb into the laptop before plugging the other end of the adapter into the outlet.

My cousin has done outlest 1st, usb 2nd for over a year with no problems. His friend said it was the angle whis he plugged the usb in that sent an electrical shock . I never heard of this. This is my first laptop, and I don't want to make the same mistake.

Can someone please elaborate on what might've happened here.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:23 PM
Houses Won't Depreciate?

plugging the USB cable to the outlet?
Old 12-07-2005, 09:38 PM
-S namyaC-

Are you talking about the power jack for the AC adapter? If so, it shouldn't make any real difference, but if it did - it would be the OPPOSITE of what you described. To be safe, you should plug it into the wall first THEN into the computer. Its possible with a cheapo power supply that it has an unstable output when you first plug it in, but the laptop shouldn't even recognize AC power until it returns to normal. I'd say ur friends power supply was just jacked up or something.

A USB port is used for devices like mice, keyboards, digital cameras, etc.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:57 PM
Not a Registered User

sorry, i wasn't clear. i meant jack, not usb.

his friend told him he was not supposed to plug the adapter into the outlet before plugging the jack into the laptop. he said this was the reason his laptop no longer works.

my cousin has no idea what went wrong. his friends explanation sounds believable because the computer broke the moment he plugged the jack into the laptop. can you guys guess what might've went wrong?
Old 12-07-2005, 10:09 PM
Houses Won't Depreciate?

Originally Posted by SicK TypeS
his friend told him he was not supposed to plug the adapter into the outlet before plugging the jack into the laptop. he said this was the reason his laptop no longer works.

If there is problem with electricity, the adapter will fail before frying the laptop.

Now, he might have used an adapter with higher voltage than the one needed for the laptop. That can fry it.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:27 PM
Not a Registered User

is there any way he can fix this problem.. whatever it is? his computer no longer turns on, can it be saved or repaired?
Old 12-09-2005, 04:54 PM
Houses Won't Depreciate?

if you are out of warranty you might wanna try and get it reapaired by dell. Its gonna cost tho $$.

There are ways to extract the data from the hard drive. You need to take it out. I am not sure how is it done tho.