Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

New Palm Treo Pro

Old 04-04-2009, 11:53 AM
Above n Beyond

Received 132 Likes on 50 Posts
New Palm Treo Pro

Anyone have it? Just bought it last weekend in Vegas. We were at the pool and some girl threw me in the pool and my phone was in my pocket. I had the Moto Q and it was done for.

So far I am very pleased with what it has to offer. I use my phone alot for work when I am on the road. The only two things that I am not totally happy about is the keypad is nice but smaller than the Q. I have fat thumbs. The other thing is the battery life. It hasnt lasted a full day yet since I got it. I'm gonna go back and see if they can replace the battery.

Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone else has this beast yet and hear your opinions. Also if you know any secrets even though it is brand new. I believe they dont even have any software yet for this phone. Checking howardforums and there isnt much on it yet.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Sprint keeps sending me all kinds of offers in an effort to get me on this phone.

I've had Palms before, I liked them but I think they're behind the times, even with this new one.

Holding out for the BB Bold World Edition or whatever they're going to call it.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:19 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why would you want that when the Palm Pre is just around the corner?
Old 04-17-2009, 01:20 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Sprint keeps sending me all kinds of offers in an effort to get me on this phone.

I've had Palms before, I liked them but I think they're behind the times, even with this new one.

Holding out for the BB Bold World Edition or whatever they're going to call it.
Dude, you need to look at the palm pre. It's going to give the iphone a run for it's $$. Basically it took all of the technology the iphone uses and improved upon it. It's 2 or 3 generations past the current iphone, easy.

Palm OS as you know it is dead, they redid it from the ground up... Go search around on the net about it.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:27 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Here... check it out...

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/R33Lc8cOXRs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/R33Lc8cOXRs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Pretty much school just about any PDA that's out right now...

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UiQzCd2OnoM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UiQzCd2OnoM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
Old 04-17-2009, 01:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
I'll check it out next month
Old 04-17-2009, 09:49 PM
Above n Beyond

Originally Posted by SiGGy
Need a full keyboard and am completely satisfied.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:52 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by SiGGy

Originally Posted by UNCTYPE-S
Need a full keyboard and am completely satisfied.

The Pre has a full keyboard.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:00 PM
Above n Beyond

Ooops, didnt notice til I saw the vid. Anyways maybe you all didnt read my original post? I couldnt wait for this to come out. I needed something right away. The pro was perfect for me.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:04 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
That's cool, man. As long as you're happy about it.

I used to have a Treo 650 and liked it a lot. I have since became a blackberry addict.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:27 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Did anyone get one of these? My HTC TP is busted again...
Old 07-09-2009, 03:30 PM
Above n Beyond

So far since I posted this thread, I love it. Does everything I need it to do and more. Only thing I dont like is the battery life. The Sprint store in LV sent me a new battery for free so I'm cool with that.

My fingers are finally used to the small keyboard for when I text/email (came from a Moto Q).
Old 07-10-2009, 12:21 AM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
So far since I posted this thread, I love it. Does everything I need it to do and more. Only thing I dont like is the battery life. The Sprint store in LV sent me a new battery for free so I'm cool with that.

My fingers are finally used to the small keyboard for when I text/email (came from a Moto Q).
thx for the response!!! glad the Treo ( and Sprint) is treatin you right!!!

HTC FTL... Sprint just ordered me my 3rd HTC TP for FREE... whatz that saying?
2nd keyboard failure... and I tried NOT to go big with this one!
I sure hope the quality goes up on the TP2

Palm > Htc
Old 07-20-2009, 01:16 PM
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Sounds like I just went through the same ordeal you did a few months back. I also had a moto Q that was was knocked off a deck at a bbq over the weekend and was completely ruined. I live in western Kansas and currently the only major provider here is Alltel. They are currently switching over to Verizon, but will be a couple more months before they're completely switched over. I needed a phone ASAP, as you did, and can't wait till some new phones come out, which was my plan. They have a good special on it, online only, and couldn't resist. Looking forward to getting it in the next couple of days.

So besides battery life, have you been pretty happy with it?
Old 07-20-2009, 10:23 PM
Above n Beyond

Yes, I've been happy with it. The fact that the Pro came out and the Pre shortly after, everyone skipped over the Pro to wait for the Pre. I dont see hardly anyone with it and alot of people with the Pro. Not that it would bother me anyway if half the world had it. That would mean it's a good phone.

The only thing I can't figure out is when I send picture mail to people, it takes me a few minutes to get back into my text messaging. If I'm really impatient, I just turn the phone off. Not sure the reason for the delay.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:22 PM
Drifting

Okay, I've had this phone for about two months now, and am wishing I'd chosen otherwise.

First off, despite taking good care of it, the phone has experienced extensive wear on both the back and front. In many areas on the back, the once glossy finished has become worn and now dull in appearance, also showing many scratches. Some of the buttons have worn quite a bit, and the screen has an excessive amount of scratches and wear to it.

I've been a little underwhelmed by the performance of this phone as well. I had swithched from a MOTO Q, and expected to see a significant improvement. It does most things a little bit quicker/better, but not a whole lot. I've also experienced the phone having a tendency to lock up fairly regularly, about every other day.

I should have returned it within the first 30 days, but procrastinated a lil too much.

Anyone else have similar experiences with this phone?
Old 09-21-2009, 01:39 PM
Above n Beyond

Jayhawk, the wear and tear on the phone is similar to mine. I guess it depends how much you use it. Im in sales so I use this phone like 18 out of 24hours a day. The front is fine, buttons are good, but the back is showing some dullness to it. I know what you mean. You can only really tell when it's under light. I've dropped it a few times and it seems to hold up fine (or maybe I was just lucky).

I'm not too impressed by the performance either. I too switched froma Moto Q. While I like the Windows Mobile/touch screen addition, I was expecting more that what was given. Sometimes my phone will lock up too or just randomly shut off. Nothing a simple restart cant fix.

Other than poor battery life, things are going OK with it.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:26 PM
Above n Beyond

For you palm pro owners, I've discovered 2 things I really dislike about this phone when it comes to email for business. Hoping someone can help.

1st - If you have your work email set up on this phone, you are only allowed to email reply with 3 lines or so of reply. The rest of the email will get cut off and the received will not see the rest. Called Sprint, because it's Windows Mobile, they cannot upgrade or suggest a solution. It simply cannot be done. Verizon on the otherhand, can type whatever they want.

2nd - I use OutLook for work. When I compose a message, the font is black. When I reply, its automatically set to blue (times new roman). If I leave the office and want to reply to an email from my phone, the whole email turns to black font and courier font.

Anyone know how to keep the HTML as part of the email. It's annoying. Again, verizon wireless keeps it "times new roman".
Old 06-23-2010, 09:11 PM
Above n Beyond

Another thing...when replying to an email from my work account on my phone, for some reason it will not attach the full dialogue between me and the customer. It says something like "cannot attach full email".

Any way to change this. Very annoying because if I want to forward an email to a co-worker, they cannot see the full dialogue in the below email.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:44 PM
Drifting

Another thing...when replying to an email from my work account on my phone, for some reason it will not attach the full dialogue between me and the customer. It says something like "cannot attach full email".

Any way to change this. Very annoying because if I want to forward an email to a co-worker, they cannot see the full dialogue in the below email.
I wish I could help. I got a different phone back in November. I was with Alltel/Verizon and never ran into these problems.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:20 PM
Above n Beyond

I wonder if the Sprint Blackberry's dont have this problem. I know they have a limit on characters being used but I think that their emails include all dialogue from start/finish.