Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

New Motorola v710 software available on HoFo

Old 12-14-2004, 08:17 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kefler
From the howardforums thread just posted yesterday:

thats from the superdave guy.. he said voice quality was fine for while but then it went bad.. I think its something that occurs a day or two after flashing. I ordered a USB cable today but this will scare me off of flashing for a bit.

could you show a pointer to that thread I am registered there but could not find it there is a ton of activity about the flash. I jsut bought one on ebay and have not received it yet. I amy jsut wait out the issue as I the battery and signel strenght on the midi is not a biggie for me
Old 12-14-2004, 09:44 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Bottom of this page

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...&pagenumber=16

other problems they talk about are battery draining really fast ..
Old 12-15-2004, 12:21 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does the update address the issue of not being able to synch outlook information using bluetooth instead of a cable?
Old 12-15-2004, 09:37 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JBSL
Does the update address the issue of not being able to synch outlook information using bluetooth instead of a cable?
I think it does however there is a significant chance it will hose your battary useage and sound quality. Ihave been reading the howard forums in tmep v710 forum and IMHO I would wait till the first users get it right or verizon releases an offical update
Old 12-15-2004, 04:19 PM
Awesome to the Max

does anyone that live in So Cal want to flash my phone for me? Please? I'll be your friend
Old 12-15-2004, 09:58 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by terse
does anyone that live in So Cal want to flash my phone for me? Please? I'll be your friend
Well, I'd be willing to do it, but I'm not sure I could do it before New Years. By that time, you might be able to get it done with the officially released firmware at a VZW store.

BTW, I'm in Seal Beach, which isn't exactly down the street from Glendale
Old 12-15-2004, 10:12 PM
Awesome to the Max

Originally Posted by moeronn
Well, I'd be willing to do it, but I'm not sure I could do it before New Years. By that time, you might be able to get it done with the officially released firmware at a VZW store.

BTW, I'm in Seal Beach, which isn't exactly down the street from Glendale

thanks anyways...anyone closer? and it'll be released by New years?
Old 12-16-2004, 03:36 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by terse
thanks anyways...anyone closer? and it'll be released by New years?
don't hold your breath
Old 12-19-2004, 08:28 PM
Advanced

So anyone on here who flashed their phone, any problems yet like battery draining faster or people on the other end not able to understand you?

Also, does this flash enable OBEX or is that still being hacked on?
Old 12-23-2004, 01:24 AM
Advanced

Bah I got tired of waiting and followed the instructions at the beginning of this thread.

It worked great (so far, been like 1 hour). I did it with a cheapo .99 cable that does not include power. The phone erased for like 2 minutes and took another 2 or so to burn.. it rebooted and came up with service. I did not havfe to do *228. I verified I can call my house and my voice is not all wierd.. I went to the TL and battery & sig strenght are there, pause works great.. The phone has some fancy animation stuff now. Camera is marginially better, but I don't really care.

I'll see how it goes for battery life & voice sounding like crap.
Old 12-23-2004, 01:04 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Must be nice.. I cant get the damn file that updates your phone.. PST 7.11... the site is down and there is no other place to get it from
Old 12-23-2004, 01:14 PM
Instructor

great keep us posted I have not made up my mind yet to flash
Old 12-23-2004, 01:15 PM
Racer

I found version 6.7 on the cd that came with my data cable.. Let me see what I can do.. heh
Old 12-23-2004, 03:02 PM
Racer

Ok Since everything is working so far on my phone. I will do a small write up also .

I of course could not get the files I needed from the sites provided. After about 2 hours of searching and going everywhere I found this foriegn site here ->

http://forum.motorolka.ru/viewtopic....00959578515526

I have no clue what the heck any of that says.. but I used the two links anyways to download PST 7.7.1 and the Uni patch that you need.. click here for them

http://motorolka.ru/download/350/PST_7.1.1.rar
and
http://www.motorola--c550.narod.ru/f..._uni_patch.exe

Once you have those two files use the mirror site to get the "patch" file from here ->

http://www.no-mindpaintball.com/8700_1.02.sd.shx

After you get all of those use these instructions.. (copy and pasted from the first page).
*side note.. I have WinXP service pack 2.. I got errors on the install of the PST 7.7.1 but it didnt seem to matter.... follow these instructions carefully. I did not have to do the *228 either. Everything is working perfect so far. Went out to my car.. the mid display is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NICE!!!!! !! It paired fine, I didn't have to do a thing. I love it thus far.. I would do it just for the MID display and the solid blue background on the outside of the phone.. I hated the stupid blue bubble looking thing !!!!

****Copied from Andyw2100's post (thanks) ****

Instructions
--------------------------------

*Don't sue me or anyone here if something goes wrong. This is done at your own risk.
*Make sure phone is unpluged from the computer
*I had to install this on Windows XP in order for the drivers to work correctly.

*You need the following:
- USB to motorola phone data cable that is compatible with the v710. Check ebay and DON'T get the future dial cable. Should be $20 or less. Not radioshack's $80 cable.
-Windows XP
-PST 7.11 and the activation disabler (PST_uni_patch.exe)
-Superdave's firmware. Or if you want to revert back to the original firmware, you can use that too and follow the process below.

The files are all available if you look in this thread
http://howardforums.com/showthread....mp;pagenumber=9
on every page. Not all files will be dirrectly linked to, so you'll have to use your head a little. HINT- look at the web address that people linked
to for certain files... if you remove the filename and just go to the previous dirrectory, you'll discover some other files in that folder.

1) Install PST 7.11. Let it install ALL the updates for XP.
2) Reboot.
3)Copy PST_uni_patch.exe to C:\Program Files\Motorola\PST
Run it. Make sure it was successfull with all 6 operations. Then click finish.
4) Turn on phone and plug it into the usb cable. Windows should detect it. Point the Driver search wizard to C:\Program Files\Motorola\PST
It should now find the drivers and install the phone as Motorola USB Modem.
5) Now on the start menu in the Motorola PST folder, run the "Flash & Test Commands" program
6) Windows will now redetect your phone as a USB Composite device, and begin asking for drivers. Again, point it to
C:\Program Files\Motorola\PST. It should do this a few times to install all the drivers it needs.
7) Now in the Flash & Test program, it should show your phone in the Devices section. If not, try exiting and then opening the Flash & Test command program again.
8) If the phone is in the devices section, click browse to select the firmware from superdave. Now click the flash button.
9) This process will take a few minutes, so don't mess with the phone or program. Wait till it says the flash has completed. Once it compeltes, check the "errors" section for any problems.
10) The phone will probably reboot at this point, but just power it off again. Pull out the battery for 60 seconds. Then plug it back in.
11) Your phone will shows a NO SERVICE message. Not a problem. Type *228 and the dial button (green button). It should then call up VZW through their automated activation service. Choose option 1 so it programs the phone automatically. Wait till it says it is done with the process before powering off the phone.
12) You should be done now!

Thanks again to superdave, howardforms, everyone who is hosting these files, and everyone who helped.
Old 12-25-2004, 11:54 AM
Instructor

I have heard that the Texas release that Super daves fix is based on is not the Verizon release candidate and that it is difficult to flash back to the unadulerated software because the flash over writes some ROM for my personal opinion I am going to wait. The phone works fine I do not need the signel strength or battery signel in the mid and I can still tx ringtones from the transflash card without screwing up my phone with this flash YMMV david