Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Microsoft: Windows Phone News and Discussion Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 04:54 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,489 Likes on 6,356 Posts
Looks like the HTC Trophy with WP7 will be headed to Verizon in early 2011 according to this promo

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/15/h...in-early-2011/
Old 11-15-2010, 07:15 PM
COTM Coordinator

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
^ As will the iPhone..... tough choice.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:20 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by MurkyRiversTL
^ As will the iPhone..... tough choice.
I know it's likely, but is this actually confirmed?
Old 11-15-2010, 09:46 PM
Sanest Florida Man

not officially
Old 11-15-2010, 09:48 PM
My Garage

Originally Posted by #1 STUNNA
not officially
If they don't mention it tomorrow, I'm calling shenanigans.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:50 PM
COTM Coordinator

Its not confirmed officially, but unofficially
Old 11-15-2010, 10:07 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
...with an EVO on my desk, why should I go backwards into time with another WM phone... I tried WM for a year (it was freaking cave man phone), they are late to a party that started years ago... If I was microsoft, I would have just quit before I wasted more cash... with iphone peeps cruising over to AD (and not just because its ATT), they have an uphill battle... and NO, I dont want to play a bunch of games on my phone... Its mostly a communications tool and my EVO does this so very well... and mine isn't even rooted... LOL
Old 11-15-2010, 10:07 PM
Registered Member

Received 385 Likes on 234 Posts
nothing wrong with Window 7 mobile except too little of Apps. i just picked up on a HTC HD7 omg that thing is a beast very fast processor only problem battery still sucks ass
Old 11-15-2010, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by DIZAZNDOOD320
nothing wrong with Window 7 mobile except too little of Apps. i just picked up on a HTC HD7 omg that thing is a beast very fast processor only problem battery still sucks ass
...someone will have a fix for that shortly...
Old 11-15-2010, 10:33 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Yeah that HD7 has a small battery.

The OS has only been out for a week you gotta give it some time to get apps. It seems to be doing pretty well at getting apps, a lot of the big names are already there. The app scenario is only going to get better with time. You don't have to have 300,000 apps like iOS you just have to have good quality apps in all the categories.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:35 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
they're not announcing it tomorrow
Old 11-15-2010, 10:38 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL
...with an EVO on my desk, why should I go backwards into time with another WM phone... I tried WM for a year (it was freaking cave man phone), they are late to a party that started years ago... If I was microsoft, I would have just quit before I wasted more cash... with iphone peeps cruising over to AD (and not just because its ATT), they have an uphill battle... and NO, I dont want to play a bunch of games on my phone... Its mostly a communications tool and my EVO does this so very well... and mine isn't even rooted... LOL
you obviously haven't read this thread or done any research. WP7 has NOTHING in common with WM. They're as different as black is from white. It's a completely new OS, nothing from the old carries over. Nothing.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:38 PM
COTM Coordinator

Well except for the word Windows.....
Old 11-15-2010, 10:40 PM
COTM Coordinator

Verizon has an iPad.... how much longer do you think until they have an iPhone.....
Old 11-15-2010, 11:40 PM
Registered Member

The OS has only been out for a week you gotta give it some time to get apps. It seems to be doing pretty well at getting apps, a lot of the big names are already there. The app scenario is only going to get better with time. You don't have to have 300,000 apps like iOS you just have to have good quality apps in all the categories.
Had mine on the first day when it came out loved it upgraded from an HD2 big difference
Old 11-15-2010, 11:49 PM
sup

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bought a samsung focus off-contract. was getting bored of my iphone....I really like it, although it is kind of like taking a step backwards in terms of functionality. Although my iphone basically had "function bloat" - possibly toooo much going on.

i'll keep my iphone handy, just in case I can always switch back.

the zune music player is pretty slick. I just wish the phone had a better DAC. Audio through the headphones doesn't sound as good as the iphone.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:59 AM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
Verizon has an iPad.... how much longer do you think until they have an iPhone.....
It doesn't mean that at all.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:51 AM
My Garage

The iPad doesn't run on Verizon's network. That means the iPhone may not be right around the corner.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:15 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Originally Posted by DIZAZNDOOD320
Had mine on the first day when it came out loved it upgraded from an HD2 big difference
how does the battery life compare to the HD2, the same or worse?
Old 11-16-2010, 09:37 AM
COTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by CocheseUGA
It doesn't mean that at all.
The iPad doesn't run on Verizon's network. That means the iPhone may not be right around the corner.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:06 AM

you obviously haven't read this thread or done any research. WP7 has NOTHING in common with WM. They're as different as black is from white. It's a completely new OS, nothing from the old carries over. Nothing.
Actually, most of what I do is phone research, and I have read the whole thread...as well as a bunch of other articles related to this OS... I comment all the time in my own thread and in the apple one... to each his own... poor support from the windows people is the reason I left... maybe they will do better since they have more to lose on this go-round.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
Looks like the update will be in January and will include copy/paste, custom ring support, and turn by turn navigation in Bing. Also SanDisk has WP7 approved micro SD cards.

http://www.wpcentral.com/rumor-janua...r-support-more
http://www.wpcentral.com/sandisk-wp7...available-32gb
Old 11-16-2010, 11:45 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Yes, Android is turning into the next Windows Mobile. While it's a better OS with more features, better UI, etc they still aren't stringent about who can use the OS, they don't approve apps, there's no minimum hardware requirements, they allow OEMs to skin the UI which leads to fragmented OS updates.

Android is turning into the wild west where any app gets through no matter the quality, there's not minimum hardware requirements which means apps especially video games aren't guaranteed to work across all devices, there's no uniform screen resolution so a developer has to target a wide variety of screen resolutions and if they don't then they're app won't look right on an unoptimized screen. There's no uniform security platform which is why a service like Netflix is only coming to certain android handsets on a case by case basis, while it's already available on every WP7 device.

MS has already been through this with windows mobile and they've learned from their mistakes and are now much more involved in the process of testing the phone before it's released making sure it performs up to their standards. They're providing a uniform hardware platform for developers so that they're apps run and look the same across all devices; and yet they allow different form factors and screen sizes so you can have all touch screen devices, portrait or landscape slider keyboards, OLED, SLCD, or LCD screens as well. So they're providing the uniform platform of iOS and the hardware diversity of Android. Yet MS is handling the updates and since they're is no skinning of the UI not only will that give a similar look and feel across all WP devices it also means customers don't have to wait on HTC or Samsung to update they're UI Skin to work with the new OS everytime there's an update.

Android is turning into an OS where every phone looks and acts differently, and apps aren't guaranteed to run on all devices, you can walk into a store and buy an Android device today that has 1.6 and right next to it is a device that has 2.2, it's just chaos.

This is the reason I told my brother to get the Nexus One, while it's android phone it doesn't have to deal with most of these problems. It doesn't have to wait for updates and it's got strong enough hardware that it can run anything in the app market. If only that phone was still around.....
Old 11-16-2010, 11:50 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Originally Posted by alex2364
Looks like the update will be in January and will include copy/paste, custom ring support, and turn by turn navigation in Bing. Also SanDisk has WP7 approved micro SD cards.

http://www.wpcentral.com/rumor-janua...r-support-more
http://www.wpcentral.com/sandisk-wp7...available-32gb
This is what I'm talking about. They're going to be kicking out updates at a fast pace, and checking off features from it's "but it doesn't do" list. Then the updates will roll out to all devices. Meanwhile on Android I know a girl with a mytouch that has 1.6 and who's still waiting for 2.1 to come to her phone, and that version came out on the nexus one almost a year ago. way to "support" your phone's google.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
my first smartphone was the motorola mpx200 and since then until the iphone, i've had nothing but windows mobile smartphones. yes, i am a fan of windows mobile even up until 6.5. after using the iphone, i was blown away by it...completely put windows mobile to shame. i can't say that about windows 7 at all! i was anticipating a splash with windows 7, something that could take me away from my iphone. unfortunately, though completely different from the old windows mobile platform, it has been a major disappointment. sure, it has potentials to rival apple's iphone and google's android, but as of now, it's just another smartphone, nothing more nothing less. sure, we can wait for updates and improvements but at the same time, apple and google will also be updating and improving theirs as well. so what's the point? thus, sad to say it but windows 7 is behind... and if the iphone does come to verizon, i smell more trouble for windows 7. i know something good when i see it and experiment with it; windows 7 isn't one of them so far.

Last edited by silver3.5; 11-16-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:52 AM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
Are you the one writing all the bullshit articles for the WSJ?

And for fucks sake silver, that gave me a migraine trying to read that.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

And for fucks sake silver, that gave me a migraine trying to read that.
hahha...want some tylenol? and if reading gives you migraines already, i wonder how work is....???

Last edited by silver3.5; 11-16-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:57 AM
COTM Coordinator

Sorry, but I have better ways to waste my time
Old 11-16-2010, 12:11 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Originally Posted by silver3.5
my first smartphone was the motorola mpx200 and since then until the iphone, i've had nothing but windows mobile smartphones. yes, i am a fan of windows mobile even up until 6.5. after using the iphone, i was blown away by it...completely put windows mobile to shame. i can't say that about windows 7 at all! i was anticipating a splash with windows 7, something that could take me away from my iphone. unfortunately, though completely different from the old windows mobile platform, it has been a major disappointment. sure, it has potentials to rival apple's iphone and google's android, but as of now, it's just another smartphone, nothing more nothing less. sure, we can wait for updates and improvements but at the same time, apple and google will also be updating and improving theirs as well. so what's the point? thus, sad to say it but windows 7 is behind... and if the iphone does come to verizon, i smell more trouble for windows 7. i know something good when i see it and experiment with it; windows 7 isn't one of them so far.
The best way to really experience a WP7 phone is to have it filled with your info. When you see it with your friends and your pictures and music then you really see how cool it is and how it's much different from what your experience on an iPhone or android.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

The best way to really experience a WP7 phone is to have it filled with your info. When you see it with your friends and your pictures and music then you really see how cool it is and how it's much different from what your experience on an iPhone or android.
that would mean i would have to buy one, which is very unlikely bec. my current contract isn't up yet. i can't justify buying another phone that i know isn't up to par with my current phone, unless i want to degrade!
Old 11-17-2010, 11:58 AM
Sanest Florida Man

If this doesn't tell you that WP7 is really good then IDK what will. Samsung the #2 maker of cell phones in the world just announced that it will be shifting it's main focus from Android phones to WP7 devices.

Samsung seems pretty gung-ho about Windows Phone 7. What's interesting is how Samsung went from reportedly cold, to warm to now hot on Microsoft's mobile OS, even in the face of huge sales with Android.
The section of the long article, detailing smartphone growth in Asia and related companies (HTC, LG, Samsung, etc.), this was mentioned:
Next year, Samsung will introduce 15 to 20 new smart-phone models using Android, Windows, and Brada operating systems. For every 50 smart phones using Windows, it will make 24 using Android and five using Brada.
Also in an interview with Ars Technica MS CEO Steve Ballmer dropped this little diddy in there.

AT: How long am I going to wait... I don't want to ask you lots of stupid questions about tablets because I know you've been asked them before, so what I'm going to ask you is a very specific question: how long am I gonna have to wait to get a tablet that when I'm on-the-go has a nice touch- and finger-friendly interface, and when I sit down at my desk, I can add a keyboard and mouse and get a nice, full Windows experience. When is that going to come?
SB: I won't give you an answer, because it will all depend on what you want, and we're going to have various things coming at various times coming over the next months and years, and some things, I think you will see things that you will fall [in love with]—I know I'm seeing things that I'll fall in love with, and I know there will be more things that I desire.
The truth of the matter is, look at that device [my Lenovo X300]. It doesn't weigh anything, it just sits there, pretty nice, and very powerful, works pretty well, so you have to say, OK, what is the scenario that we're trying to optimize against? And you're gonna see some things that do a very nice job over the course of the next, let's call it year—you'll see some stuff now, you'll see some stuff after Christmas, you'll see some stuff as we get new Intel chips, you'll see some things as you move Windows Phone along—and which one you'll fall in love with, I can't predict.
Now MS has said all along that Windows 7 will be their tablet OS which I as an owner of an iPad think is a bad idea. Running apps that are clearly built for a keyboard and mouse with just a touch screen is not a good idea. They might somehow be able to make Windows 7 really touch friendly but they can't make the apps that run on Windows 7 really touch friendly. So now that he's mentioned WP7, this gives me hope since WP7 and it's apps are designed from head to toe to be only touch friendly. This is the first time that Steve has mentioned WP7 when it comes to tablets
Old 11-17-2010, 12:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,309 Likes on 962 Posts
^Dude that's pretty major
Old 11-17-2010, 01:43 PM

If this doesn't tell you that WP7 is really good then IDK what will. Samsung the #2 maker of cell phones in the world just announced that it will be shifting it's main focus from Android phones to WP7 devices.
Samsung has 18 current Android phones, 3 more on the way and 3 in the rumor mill... so, while this is good news for WP7, how many more Android phones could they really have at this point?

http://phandroid.com/phones/#available

As long as Microsoft supports WP7, unlike they did WM6, they will hopefully succeed... I like the competition, it will make Android even better.. what's not to like about that?
Old 11-18-2010, 07:50 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The new Palms had tons of apps coming when the platform was introduced. Look at it now. It's not even involved in comparison tests anymore.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:15 PM
Sanest Florida Man

One of the reasons that WebOS failed is because they didn't reach out to developers and give them good tools to work with.

At first WebOS developers didn't have full access to the hardware, their tools were limited and was hard to make good apps, it took about a year after launch for Palm to get those tools to developers and by then it was too late.

MS knows how to get good tools to developers and are not making the mistakes that WebOS made. MS has the advantage when coming in late to the game with seeing what worked and didn't work for others and just taking what's best from Android and from iOS and combining them into one. You get the hardware choices of android though they must meet minimum requirements which leads to a solid platform for developers across all devices much like iOS. MS got tools out to developers back in march and have been updating them ever since. WP7 has over 12000 registered developers making apps for the platform.

MS unlike Palm is nowhere near broke and has the ability to throw billions of dollars at this and force themselves back into this market, Palm didn't have that luxury. That's what MS did with Bing and the Xbox and look where those are now. Bing has anywhere from 20-30% marketshare depending on who you ask and the 360 is arguably the preferred console for serious console gamers and on most days it beats the PS3 in sales. MS made $5.6b last quarter more than any other tech company, that money along with a good plan/product allows them to make themselves a player in any market they want.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:03 AM
Rice Patrol

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have a captivate and a focus (bought the captivate, att sent me the focus for free) and i'm using the focus at the moment but i can't make up my mind.

I love wp7 and I find that most of the things i wanted in a phone when I got my captivate (flash, emulators, open, etc.) I just don't do that often to actually justify.

what I really wanted was a fast browser (mobile ie, just wish it had flash) good office integration (office 10 on wp7) and an amazing music client (zune, is hands down the best music app on mobile platform) that's really it.

I'm not ready to commit to wp7 because i want backgrounding for like pandora and iheartradio, but i'm not ready to go back to android as well. I have the PERFECT android device, rooted, froyo, sideloading, nandroided, auto-backup etc. but it just seems a bit overkill no?

I'm not a fanboy in any way btw. I owned an iPhone 3g for years and then got the captivate and would still be using it to this day had att not sent me the focus.

but btw, the metro ui is pretty freakin slick looking
Old 11-19-2010, 01:32 PM
Sanest Florida Man

All the stuff that you want like flash, multitasking are on the way.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
WP7 is coming to Verizon this holiday season.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/20/w...ted-devices-r/
Old 11-20-2010, 08:51 PM
Registered Member

how does the battery life compare to the HD2, the same or worse?
same
Old 11-24-2010, 06:03 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you know if the Samsung Focus is compatible with '08 TL Handfree?

Quick Reply: Microsoft: Windows Phone News and Discussion Thread