Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

in the market for a new laptop

Old 11-29-2006, 05:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
^ I'd say no since it has a Sony laptop battery ... and we know how good quality they are ...

Seriously ... $3k for it? Forget that!
Old 12-01-2006, 04:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,338 Likes on 5,251 Posts
didnt feel like starting a new thread for this.. been a good amount of HP talk in here, so here it goes.

I really kind of thought Dell would never be dethroned. Yo SlyRaskal I think you had something to do with this.

http://www.techweb.com/showArticle.j...SSfeed_TechWeb

HP Passes Dell To Become The World's Largest PC Seller

By Sharon Gaudin
Hewlett-Packard has passed Dell to become the world's largest PC seller, according to new figures from iSuppli Corp.

HP shipped 9.9 million PCs globally in the third quarter of the year, up 16.7% from 8.4 million sold during the same period the year before, according to a report from iSuppli, an industry research organization. HP's latest numbers not only exceeded the 9.5% expansion of the overall PC market, but also surpassed the 3.4% and 10.4% global increases for HP's two closest rivals, Dell and Lenovo, iSuppli reported.

The strong numbers bolstered HP's market share, pushing it up to 16.5% from 13.6% in the second quarter. That puts HP slightly ahead of Dell by just two-tenths of a point.

"HP posted a memorable third quarter," said Matthew Wilkins, principal analyst with iSuppli. "Its sales grew by double-digit percentages both on a year-to-year and on a quarter-to-quarter basis. Due to this rapid sales growth, HP has once again become the world's largest PC maker, a position it has not held since 2003."

Dell didn't show the same kind of performance. Quarter-over-quarter, the company posted a 1.9% drop in shipments, going from 10 million units in the second quarter of 2006 to 9.8 million units in the third quarter, iSuppli reported. Year-over-year results were better, with third-quarter shipments in 2006 increasing by 3.4% compared to 2005. But even that represented only about one-third of the growth rate for the PC industry as a whole.

"HP's positive news is in part due to Dell's problems," said Wilkins.

Lenovo of China remained in third place in the market, with shipments of 4.47 million units. Lenovo's numbers are up 10.4% from 4 million in the third quarter of 2005. Lenovo's unit market share rose to 7.5%, up from 7.4% during the third quarter of 2005.

Taiwan's Acer Inc., according to iSuppli, saw the strongest market growth of the top five PC sellers. And that growth -- a 29% year-over-year shipment increase -- kept Acer in the Number Four spot in the market.

Toshiba Corp. of Japan also delivered solid unit growth of 24%, and as a result gained entry into the top-five ranking in the third quarter with shipments of 2.5 million units, reported iSuppli. That's a bump from the company's sixth-place ranking in the second quarter of the year.

"As we look to the fourth quarter, iSuppli believes that we will see strong demand, in keeping with the holiday season," said Wilkins. "Notebook sales will continue their strong momentum. Recent history has shown that aggressive price cuts among PC makers boost sales during the holiday season. We expect this year to be no different."
Old 12-01-2006, 05:32 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
I don't know what you're talking about.

Prior to putting my order in for my HP laptop and before this thread started I was pleased with Dell's products and still am for the most part. It was just purely coincidental that when this thread started I got my new HP catalog in the mail and was pleased with what I saw with HP's new products. I bought a Dell Laptop for my wife nearly 2 years ago and it's been working fine, no problems at all. I do have to say that HP has come a long way in the notebook area though. I haven't even received my HP laptop yet and I'm already talking good about them! Where's my check HP?

I went with the HP for a lot of different reasons. Features, layout of the laptop, and price.

I've still got to wait a little over 2 weeks for my laptop. I think that's my xmas present to myself.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
^ I'm still waiting for my Macbook ... it was supposed to arrive on the 30th (just in time for my trip to California) ... Stupid Fedex! but I ended up having to bring my Dell laptop (still works fine after 3 years of abuse -- just a new keyboard replaced under warranty).

So HP overtaking Dell (worldwide figures) is surprising. Who would have thought?!
Old 12-03-2006, 03:59 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by Sly Raskal
I don't know what you're talking about.

Prior to putting my order in for my HP laptop and before this thread started I was pleased with Dell's products and still am for the most part. It was just purely coincidental that when this thread started I got my new HP catalog in the mail and was pleased with what I saw with HP's new products. I bought a Dell Laptop for my wife nearly 2 years ago and it's been working fine, no problems at all. I do have to say that HP has come a long way in the notebook area though. I haven't even received my HP laptop yet and I'm already talking good about them! Where's my check HP?

I went with the HP for a lot of different reasons. Features, layout of the laptop, and price.

I've still got to wait a little over 2 weeks for my laptop. I think that's my xmas present to myself.
I've had a HP laptop for 2 years. I use if for work, so that's just MS Office and e-mail and the internet. Hasn't given me any problems. I went with HP because it gave me more than Dell at the time, also with using for work I was using HP desktop adaptor. The thing that uses one one cable to plug into power and network and sits the laptop up for better viewing.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Cliff Notes: I finally ordered a laptop!

Well I bit the bullet. After pulling my hair out trying to work on a track last night and having it stutter and bog to no end, I decided I'd had enough and late in the day today pulled up a Dell window. I said to myself I would never buy from Dell again but after much thought I decided I had no choice seeing how they had the best bang for the buck and the options I wanted. My main requirements were 17" and WUXGA. I had everything filled out and was about to hit submit (at work) - when I did a double-take and decided not to. Then I got home and got a second wind and brought it up again. And I put it through. Here are the specs:

Dell E1705
Core 2 Duo 2.00GHz 667MHz FSB (will upgrade later)
17" WUXGA (1920x1200) Ultrasharp
1GB RAM (will upgrade to 2 later)
256MB Nvidia 7900GS
100GB 7200RPM HD
8x DVD/RW DL
Draft N Wifi
BT2.0
9-cell battery

Applied 20% off, got a pretty good deal on it. Can't wait to get cooking! ETA: 7 days.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:35 PM
Team Owner

That C2D is a slow piece of shit, you'll regret it.

I HOPE my machine will be upgradable. Uping the processor in a year or two would prolong the life of my laptop.

7900GS, not bad at all!

Nice specs. I'm glad to see that more laptops are coming with 7200 RPM drives instead of the slower 5400 drives.

I envy that display you got.

Old 12-06-2006, 11:46 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
nice display
Old 12-06-2006, 11:47 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by srika
I had a 2.0 core duo for a while a few months ago.. it was SMOKIN!!
core duo FTW. I have a 1.86 and it is a beast.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:29 AM
Senior Moderator

That C2D is a slow piece of shit, you'll regret it.

I HOPE my machine will be upgradable. Uping the processor in a year or two would prolong the life of my laptop.

7900GS, not bad at all!

Nice specs. I'm glad to see that more laptops are coming with 7200 RPM drives instead of the slower 5400 drives.

I envy that display you got.

yea I know, thats my one fear, that it will be a slow cpu. LOL. Its easy to think silly about this stuff. Truth is, with my most demanding music projects that max out my P4-2.53's CPU (yes, 100% w/ 1GB ram) - they were running at between 10-20% on the CD2.0 I had (w/ 2GB ram). The feeling of being unrestricted in what I wanted to do was amazing.

Your machine should be upgradeable, if its like any other standard C2D machine. Hell, you can upgrade a Yonah (CD) with a Merom (C2D) by just dropping it in. Although, you have to be on a certain BIOS and also you don't have quite the same benefit of a ground-up C2D machine, due to some motherboard restrictions or something.

Figured I needed the best available video, with having to run that resolution full-time and all. Yeah 7200rpm or bust. What is annoying is all the makers (there are a couple) that DONT list the speed *coughSonycough*. Im hoping the display will be better than the E1505 I had - which suffered from severe view-angle issues. I swear the optimal view-angle was directly perpendicular to the monitor screen - which of course is true for pretty much any laptop/LCD - but the problem was, if you moved even a few degrees left or right, the sides blacked out bad - it was SOOO ANNOYING, and was the major factor in me returning it. There are a few manufacturers of the E1505's LCD. Samsung, LG, and umm.. something else. Anyway Samsung is rated as the "worst" in terms of this kind of performance, and LG is the "best". Guess which one I got. Yep, my luck. Anyway with the 1705's WUXGA the only manufacturer is LG, so I have my fingers crossed that this display will not disappoint.

Last edited by srika; 12-07-2006 at 12:31 AM.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:52 AM
Team Owner

Just got confirmation that my laptop is on it's way. Should have it on Tuesday.

Now I just have to buy a damn bag for it which I'm still indecisive about.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:45 PM
Team Owner

Took delivery of my laptop this morning.

I didn't even know it was coming today sine the tracking info said it would be here tomorrow. I had stayed home today because I wasn't feeling all that well. Getting the laptop made me feel a little better.

Here are some pics of it...

I'll write up a review after I've had a chance to use it.

But one thing that bugs is that the display already had a dead pixel right out of the box

One thing that I really like is the display is so bright. MUCH brighter than my wife's Dell Inspiron 6000m.

I just need to figure out what the "Expansion Port 3" is on the side of the laptop.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:57 PM
The Creator

one dead pixel out of the box? thats not all that bad.

did you try massaging it?
Old 12-11-2006, 01:15 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by soopa
one dead pixel out of the box? thats not all that bad.

I gave it some TLC, but it didn't help it any. Technology is very heartless these days. Pour all your heart and money into a computer and all it will give you is a burnt hard drive to show you who's really the boss. I think they were trained by suicide bombers.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Congrats Sly, they sure ship fast!

About that dead pixel- I've never seen one out of the box before. Of course you have that warranty so you can always punch it and have them send you a new one!
Old 12-11-2006, 01:41 PM
visit me

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maybe it wants a happy ending
Old 12-11-2006, 01:43 PM
Senior Moderator

nice man, lovely keyboard - a LOT better than Dell's... (no keypad ) nice overall look too, better than Dell.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:46 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Ashburner
Congrats Sly, they sure ship fast!

About that dead pixel- I've never seen one out of the box before. Of course you have that warranty so you can always punch it and have them send you a new one!
Thanx man, I owe you!

Yup, they really do ship fast. A full week ahead of schedule and FEDEX shipping ahead one day ahead of their schedule.

As for the dead pixel, I'm not going to worry about it. I know I put up a fuss about it on my 30" LCD from dell, but for this I'm not gonna stress it. I really need this thing right now so to send it back and wait again isn't worth it for me over one dead pixel no matter how much it may annoy me. now if it were the HDD, RAM, or something else, I'm definetly making use of the warranty. In the end since I"ll be using this for business/personal use I ended up tacking on the coverage plan for it. Just gives me a little bit of a safety cushion.

I can't wait to start setting it up.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:47 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yea, it looks really nice. congrats!
Old 12-11-2006, 01:48 PM
Team Owner

nice man, lovely keyboard - a LOT better than Dell's... (no keypad ) nice overall look too, better than Dell.
That's two of the main reasons why I bought this over the Dell.

It's hard to tell but the outer finish is actually this glossy black imprint that actually looks pretty nifty.

Now if only I could get rid of that silver HP logo on the front ( from Ashburner)
Old 12-11-2006, 01:55 PM
Team Owner

Here's a question for you guys, I'm going to buy a mouse for the laptop. The laptop has bluetooth built in, so if I buy a bluetooth mouse, do I HAVE to use the bluetooth usb adapter that comes with the mouse or can I somehow use the builtin bluetooth to handle the communication with the mouse?

The only reason why I ask is it's one less thing to do whenever I need to pack up the laptop as I would have to remove the USB Bluetooth adapter for the mouse everytime. (i'm not lazy just trying to make less to do).
Old 12-11-2006, 02:21 PM

not sure about the bluetooth, but are you going to reformat the computer to get rid of the preinstalled software?
Old 12-11-2006, 02:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Here's a question for you guys, I'm going to buy a mouse for the laptop. The laptop has bluetooth built in, so if I buy a bluetooth mouse, do I HAVE to use the bluetooth usb adapter that comes with the mouse or can I somehow use the builtin bluetooth to handle the communication with the mouse?

The only reason why I ask is it's one less thing to do whenever I need to pack up the laptop as I would have to remove the USB Bluetooth adapter for the mouse everytime. (i'm not lazy just trying to make less to do).
Hey it depends on the mouse. Get one like this that doesn't require a receiver, and you're golden.

oh and btw... I think mine will be here soon!

Order Date: 12/6/2006
Order Status: Shipped
Old 12-11-2006, 03:02 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
not sure about the bluetooth, but are you going to reformat the computer to get rid of the preinstalled software?
I thought about it, but there isn't that much so I'll probably just do a standard uninstall for now.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:04 PM
Team Owner

Hey it depends on the mouse. Get one like this that doesn't require a receiver, and you're golden.
Thanx, at least I know something exists. Now I just need to find one that doesn't look that bad.

oh and btw... I think mine will be here soon!

Order Date: 12/6/2006
Order Status: Shipped
nice, looks like we got our xmas presents to ourselves on time.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Thanx, at least I know something exists. Now I just need to find one that doesn't look that bad.
it was just a suggestion fool

nice, looks like we got our xmas presents to ourselves on time.
yes - santa rocks, lol.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:17 PM
Team Owner

it was just a suggestion fool
I know, I appreciate it.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:18 PM
The Creator

why does logitech make so few receiverless bluetooth products?
Old 12-11-2006, 03:20 PM
Senior Moderator

I know, I appreciate it.
whatever, last time I suggest something to you.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:23 PM
Team Owner

why does logitech make so few receiverless bluetooth products?
perhaps they are still looking for a ROI on their current products before they move on to the next line of receiverless products.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:15 PM
Team Owner

Found some more mice that don't require receivers....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...SubCategory=65

there are about 3 or 4 on that page. Good pricing too.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Found some more mice that don't require receivers....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...SubCategory=65

there are about 3 or 4 on that page. Good pricing too.
did you find one pretty enough for you? sounds like a daunting task. :theghey:
Old 12-11-2006, 06:33 PM
Team Owner

did you find one pretty enough for you? sounds like a daunting task. :theghey:

I'll probably buy the Logitech mouse you recommended. More than anything I want something that is as comrfortable as my current mouse which is also a logitech mouse.

I really like the new VX series mice.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:48 PM
Senior Moderator

fool that was just the first one I hit through google - I didnt research it or anything. Im not "recommending" it.. it was just an example.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:50 PM
Team Owner

get your laptop today srika???
Old 12-12-2006, 02:41 PM
Senior Moderator

no... tomorrow. being delivered to my work and im off this week so I will be going in tomorrow to pick it up and then go to our Xmas party
Old 12-14-2006, 01:46 PM

what do you guys think of these notebooks? i don't need one that's top of the line. i want to spend around $1k.

hp:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/HP-Pa...oductDetail.do

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/HP-Pa...oductDetail.do

toshiba:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Toshi...oductDetail.do

Old 12-14-2006, 03:21 PM
Senior Moderator

those look pretty good - if I had to pick one out of em, it would be the Toshiba A105. But the HP's are definitely also good - I have been hearing more and more good things about HP lately. They really seem to have turned around - good for em.

And I did get mine yesterday - LOVE the display - so bright - after working on it for a while, my desktop's 20" LCD looks DULL as fawk. :< The viewing angles are great - that was my biggest beef with the other laptop I returned. And I was very happy to find very minimal gap between the pixels - you may remember me complaining about lack of "seamless" color - well this laptops got exactly what I was looking for - seamless color. At least as seamless as its gonna get with an LCD panel. It's big but that was expected. Setting up and installing apps now, I love this part. :P
Old 12-14-2006, 03:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Get the second HP one! The 6000's are really nice!
Old 12-17-2006, 04:42 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Just picked this up for $699.

Sony Vaio VGN-N130G/W

Intel® Centrino® Duo Mobile
1 gb RAM
15.4" WXGA LCD widescreen display
80 gb HD

Quick Reply: in the market for a new laptop