Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Looking for a new laptop

Old 05-12-2010, 11:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
I dunno if you picked already, but I would reccomend the Sony Vaio F series! By the looks of it, you want a media capabale pc and this is a great vaio. Also relatively cheap I think. I have the FW series, last years version, pretty much the same look just upgraded hardware. It is a little big with its 16.4' screen. If you want more portability I would go with Sony Vaio's CW series

Btw I would always choose Sony Vaio's, they have proven to be the most reliable to me. HP's break down easily, my roommates have HP's and they hate it. They are pretty cheap imo. Get the Vaio!!

edit: The Sony Vaio F series has one of the best keyboards in the world. Everyone who uses my computer automatically says, I really like your keyboard
Old 05-12-2010, 12:29 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 2001AudiS4
I understand that people had good luck with them, I did not. If others put themselves in my shoes and had that happen to them, would you go back and purchase from them ever again? I couldn't care less if the company was sold to completely new owners with new management and new employees all the way through. I will not chance it. Especially with a machine I will be using solely for business. I just cannot risk having what happened in the past happening now, and do not want to deal with that company again. To others that wish to use them, good luck to you. I choose not to. I would rather spend more and go another route. If IBM had a machine that had bluray I would already have it ordered. Unfortunately they just do not currently offer one.
Have you looked into Dell?
Old 05-12-2010, 12:33 PM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
Old 05-12-2010, 12:35 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by speedemon90
I dunno if you picked already, but I would reccomend the Sony Vaio F series! By the looks of it, you want a media capabale pc and this is a great vaio. Also relatively cheap I think. I have the FW series, last years version, pretty much the same look just upgraded hardware. It is a little big with its 16.4' screen. If you want more portability I would go with Sony Vaio's CW series

Btw I would always choose Sony Vaio's, they have proven to be the most reliable to me. HP's break down easily, my roommates have HP's and they hate it. They are pretty cheap imo. Get the Vaio!!

edit: The Sony Vaio F series has one of the best keyboards in the world. Everyone who uses my computer automatically says, I really like your keyboard
That Sony won't allow for his budget
Old 05-12-2010, 01:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
I do like the Sony computers. My biggest concern is with how expensive are they to fix if they do break down. Sony is usually pretty expensive with other equipment. I also priced out a Sony on their site earlier and it was a little over what I wanted to spend but I could stretch it. It had everything I wanted. It was an E series though

Last edited by 2001AudiS4; 05-12-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:43 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Have you looked into Asus yet?
Old 05-12-2010, 02:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by justnspace
Have you looked into Asus yet?

I have. The only machines I have found that have Bluray are about $500 more then a Sony that I can get locally. The only thing the Sony did not have was the built in Bluetooth, which I could just get that adapter as was mentioned earlier.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:35 PM

Gotcha.
Asus has great machines. I didn't realize their top end's are more expensive than Sony.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Gotcha.
Asus has great machines. I didn't realize their top end's are more expensive than Sony.
They do look like really nice machines. Nice specs. Something without Bluray I believe would be priced pretty well. You have to get one of the more expensive ones from what I found to get the Bluray. I did find a Sony that has everything including a Bluray recorder for $799. Decent specs from what I can see. Seriously considering that.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:54 PM

Go for it!
as we pretty much exhausted the leads and you already knew what you wanted!
Old 05-12-2010, 03:49 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Sony F Series.....Has all you want.

I am looking to replace my laptop with a new one for my business. I have three criteria that I absolutely must have. Bluetooth, Bluray, and HDMI. I will be using it on job sites to program remotes, distributed audio systems, as well as all the usual business stuff. I cannot believe the issues I have had finding computers that have all three criteria. I will NOT buy a Dell. I had a REDICULOUS experience with their support in the past and suffice to say I am done with them forever. I wanted to get an IBM/Lenovo since I can get a nice discount on them and they have exceptional support, but they do not offer any laptops with a bluray player. I called them to confirm that. I can get an HP that has everything I want for a little of a grand. I would prefer to spend less then that at this time, but if I have to will go that much. I am just hesitant only because of the issues a lot of the older HP/Compaq machines had where their power adapters were snapping off the board. I have one that did it, and both my sister and mother did. Read a lot of stuff online that it was very common. However, this was a few years ago and I haven't read anything on the new machines doing this.

Wondering if anyone has any ideas on some other options out there that I am missing.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:55 PM
Safety Car

^ are you serious?
Sounds like you called a joke center.
I've never heard of some one placing the phone to the computer to make sure it "SOUNDS" right.....
Tell me about it. Dell has always taken care of me. When I had a laptop and it had issues from Dell, Dell tried to fix it once, and it still had issues, so they sent me a whole replacement laptop, next model up. They are known to do that to many people. But I had a Sony F, and just didn't like how cheap it felt, so I sent it back in within my 30 day period, and got a Dell XPS 16, and love the thing to death.

HP's are good laptops. We have Dell's and HPs at work, and both have shown to be very reliable.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:26 PM
Safety Car

The Sony F series has a big flaw. The HD screen has terrible clarity and bleed. It also has bad viewing angles. The US screen has this problem only. I do a lot of photographs and that was a major issue with me and returned it for the LED on the XPS 16 and been happy since.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Thank you everyone for the advice. I ended up getting this Sony at Best Buy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+V...&skuId=9765461

It was over $200 cheaper then a similarly spec'd computer through Sony directly, and over $450 cheaper then what I originally was going to get. Seems very quick, at least compared to my two and half year old Acer. Working on migrating all my stuff over to it now. I ordered one of the small bluetooth adapters as suggested here, on Amazon for $15 with free two day shipping.

What helped me decide was actually the timing. With waiting for a machine to be shipped, it would have been very close to when I am going to be going to Maine for a big job. I wanted to be able to get all my programs running and tested before that. I would not have had much time if I bought online. All in all I am happy. Thanks again guys.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:21 PM
406 with 2 kits

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sony takes the win
Old 05-13-2010, 08:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Gs Dewd
Sony takes the win
In this case. The ability to go pick it up and start migrating all my stuff over was a BIG plus.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Thank you everyone for the advice. I ended up getting this Sony at Best Buy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+V...&skuId=9765461

It was over $200 cheaper then a similarly spec'd computer through Sony directly, and over $450 cheaper then what I originally was going to get. Seems very quick, at least compared to my two and half year old Acer. Working on migrating all my stuff over to it now. I ordered one of the small bluetooth adapters as suggested here, on Amazon for $15 with free two day shipping.

What helped me decide was actually the timing. With waiting for a machine to be shipped, it would have been very close to when I am going to be going to Maine for a big job. I wanted to be able to get all my programs running and tested before that. I would not have had much time if I bought online. All in all I am happy. Thanks again guys.

Yay you got a sony haha, to me thats the only PC i will be buying in the future. Ive had my sony laptop for a year now and its just great

We cant see the link btw, which model did you get?? CW, E, F or another?
Old 05-14-2010, 12:50 PM

Fully loaded, 17" Macbook Pro, is the only way to go...

http://store.apple.com/us/cart
Old 05-14-2010, 01:55 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JahWobble
Fully loaded, 17" Macbook Pro, is the only way to go...

http://store.apple.com/us/cart
And it doesn't do what he wants it too. So fail on your post.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Yay you got a sony haha, to me thats the only PC i will be buying in the future. Ive had my sony laptop for a year now and its just great

We cant see the link btw, which model did you get?? CW, E, F or another?

Oops, sorry about that. Didn't realize the link didn't work. Lets try thins one
Click Me

And yeah, I tried using a Mac running virtual windows and it just was not working probably with the equipment I have to program. They are also pricier then I can spend. I am also not sure if you can get bluray on them yet (might be able to). Worst case if they iron out some of the issues I could take my gf's macbook and get her a new one in the future. The 17" is definitely a not too. The 15.5" on the Sony I got is bordering on too big, but the price was right. Would prefer a 14" but the difference isn't that big to where I wanted to spend more to order one directly from sony for an additional $200+.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Oops, sorry about that. Didn't realize the link didn't work. Lets try thins one
Click Me

And yeah, I tried using a Mac running virtual windows and it just was not working probably with the equipment I have to program. They are also pricier then I can spend. I am also not sure if you can get bluray on them yet (might be able to). Worst case if they iron out some of the issues I could take my gf's macbook and get her a new one in the future. The 17" is definitely a not too. The 15.5" on the Sony I got is bordering on too big, but the price was right. Would prefer a 14" but the difference isn't that big to where I wanted to spend more to order one directly from sony for an additional $200+.
link still doesnt work. I've had that problem to with bestbuy links when I try to show people what I am looking at.
But based on your info you said you got a 15.5' screen so I'm guessing you got the E series? If you wanted a 14', you should have went with at CW notebook. I'm sure you could have gotten a good one from best buy as well. You can always bargain and try to get a 15% discount from them. I was considering a CW when my dad was giving me the option of getting a new laptop since he wanted mine. But that didnt happen. I have the FW with the 16.4' screen. It is pretty big, but w/e I like it. I have a lot of movies and things I watch on this in HD so I'm happy. I wish I got the blu-ray player though. But that didnt fit my budget at the time. Oh well.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:34 PM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
^ Clicking on the link will fail, but if you right click and choose Copy Link Location and paste it in another tab, it'll display it. You may have a hosts file blocking sites as I'll get an empty page as well if I click directly due to having one on my computer.

Congrats on the purchase. I can understand not wanting to wait.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:39 PM
Instructor

Sony FTW!!! We have 3 Sony laptops and they have all been awesome !!!
Old 05-14-2010, 06:38 PM
Suzuka Master

link still doesnt work. I've had that problem to with bestbuy links when I try to show people what I am looking at.
But based on your info you said you got a 15.5' screen so I'm guessing you got the E series? If you wanted a 14', you should have went with at CW notebook. I'm sure you could have gotten a good one from best buy as well. You can always bargain and try to get a 15% discount from them. I was considering a CW when my dad was giving me the option of getting a new laptop since he wanted mine. But that didnt happen. I have the FW with the 16.4' screen. It is pretty big, but w/e I like it. I have a lot of movies and things I watch on this in HD so I'm happy. I wish I got the blu-ray player though. But that didnt fit my budget at the time. Oh well.
I was going to get a CW if I bought through Sony. Unfortunately, the delivery date was within a couple days of my job up in Maine. If anything delayed the shipping I would have been without a working computer for the trip which is just not an option. I have three seperate systems I have to program and they have to go off without a hitch.

Also, Best Buy did not have a 14" computer with Bluray. They only had 4 options, 3 of which were sony and one was a Samsung. The one I got best fit my needs of specs and price.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mn2trance
^ Clicking on the link will fail, but if you right click and choose Copy Link Location and paste it in another tab, it'll display it. You may have a hosts file blocking sites as I'll get an empty page as well if I click directly due to having one on my computer.

Congrats on the purchase. I can understand not wanting to wait.
I would have possibly waited had I not had this trip coming up. I would have spent a little more for the 14" but I just didn't want to spend about $250 more for the only real difference being the 14" vs the 15.5"
Old 05-14-2010, 06:41 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Most of the time it's a better screen, not just bigger.