Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Google: Google+ News and Discussion Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 12:55 AM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by madcaps
How do you make a post? Or, more like, where do you go to make a post?
Its almost exactly like Facebook. When you log in, it puts you on the Stream page where you can see all the updates happening in your Circles. There's a box at top where you can make posts with images, videos, links, etc. What's great about it is you can actually just drag and drop the media into the Share box. So no need to click on Browse then point to the directory of the file you're trying to share.

Once you've decided on what to post, there's an option on who you want the share to be seen by. This is where your Circles become handy. If you want it to be exclusive to a certain Circle you can do so. You can also make it public for everyone to see and you can do individuals by @ tagging them like you can currently do in Facebook and Twitter.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:58 AM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04
Yeah its pretty awesome so far. Haven't tried the hangout feature yet. They're going to make some changes to the Huddle cause apparently you can't leave a one-on-one conversation at the moment. I've been following the Android devs and the Google team. Only a few of my friends are on there right now which makes that stream pretty lonely. lol. I've already noticed my Twitter timeline has gone down since Google+ got introduced. A lot of the Android guys have already ditched Twitter and started using Google+ full on.

Google created a mobile app that just makes the Facebook app look like it was created by a first grader. The app just goes great with the service and if they can incorporate it properly with iOS it would be a win win where you could just Huddle with your friends between Android and iOS without needing a texting plan. You need an account to use it though.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:00 AM
Lt. Gamble

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04
Its almost exactly like Facebook. When you log in, it puts you on the Stream page where you can see all the updates happening in your Circles. There's a box at top where you can make posts with images, videos, links, etc. What's great about it is you can actually just drag and drop the media into the Share box. So no need to click on Browse then point to the directory of the file you're trying to share.

Once you've decided on what to post, there's an option on who you want the share to be seen by. This is where your Circles become handy. If you want it to be exclusive to a certain Circle you can do so. You can also make it public for everyone to see and you can do individuals by @ tagging them like you can currently do in Facebook and Twitter.
I was able to join a google + discuss group and it seems you can post there. But, it seems that invites are at a halt according to a few post made.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:01 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL
Already invited? We've temporarily exceeded our capacity. Please try again soon.
I had that message too. I just kept requesting invites and attempted logging in once every hour until it finally allowed me to change my Google Profile.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:03 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by madcaps
I was able to join a google + discuss group and it seems you can post there. But, it seems that invites are at a halt according to a few post made.
Its hit and miss. Some people get in with one invite, others after multiple invites. Not sure what method they use to determine who gets in but it probably has to do with who's in your Circle when you invite. They said they halted invites but people are still getting in at any moment. They seem to happen in waves. So if it says its at capacity right now, try again in a few hours.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:59 PM
Safety Car

Here's Tom's, the creator of Myspace, take on Google+:

Google+ seems like a "reaction" to Twitter/Facebook. But are you starting to see the ways that Google+ just makes Google a better, more integrated set of services? Google already has top-notch products in key categories--photos, videos, office productivity, blogs, Chrome, Android, maps and (duh) search. Can you start to see/imagine what Google+ does for Gmail? Picassa? Youtube? Not to mention search? The +1 system that Google now has control of (unlike Facebook Likes) can really influence and change the nature of their search.

My original vision for MS was that everything got better when it was social--so I tried to build all the super popular things used on the web (blogs, music, classifieds, events, photos) on top of MySpace's social layer. When Yahoo launched 360, MSN launched Spaces, and Google launched Okrut, I was shakin in my boots. But quickly I saw that it's really hard to layer in social to features after the fact. At MySpace we had the luxury of having social first, and building the products on top of that layer. Then I choked and Facebook realized that vision. ;-)

But Google+ really seems to be primed to make good on that original premise--that everything gets better when its social. And unlike FB, Twitter, or anyone else, Google already has the most advanced set of products. And if I can clearly see where this is headed, then I think what we are getting is a much better Google. Does that kill FB/Twitter? Who cares? I'd use all 3, but more importantly, I'll be using Google products I never used, or use them in new, better ways I never used them before.

Oh yah and I love my Google TV
https://plus.google.com/112063946124...ts/SrQrSSXeViq
Old 07-05-2011, 09:58 AM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Received 527 Likes on 387 Posts
Just got invited over the weekend and just signed up this morning. Interesting thing this Google+...I had no idea what I was signing up for...all I saw was Google coming out with something new and I had to sign up for it. Will take some getting used to since not many of my friends have this yet...
Old 07-06-2011, 07:30 AM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Any guesses as to who is the most popular person on Google(PLUS), the company's new social networking service? Ashton Kutcher , perhaps? Or Lady Gaga?

Actually, that title is currently held by Mark Zuckerberg , the founder and chief executive of Facebook - the very service that Google(PLUS) was meant to challenge.

As of Tuesday evening, Zuckerberg had nearly 35,000 people following his updates on the service, more than anyone else in a broad survey of Google(PLUS) profiles by Social Statistics, an outside service. His fan base exceeds that of Larry Page , one of the founders of Google and its recently appointed chief executive, who had only 24,000 people following him.
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/9123905.cms
Old 07-06-2011, 08:09 AM
Az User

Received 2,570 Likes on 1,718 Posts
hmm facebook already data mines the shit out of you, now people are going to do the same with with google and still use it search engine while logged in, no thanks.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:06 AM
Safety Car

Here's the unofficial Google+ Wiki for some tips and tricks:

http://www.wikigpl.us/

Mark Cuban and Tom Andersen are pretty active on G+, not surprisingly I guess. I followed Michael Dell the other day and he seemed to be Hanging out with random people a lot yesterday. I guess he was trying the feature out to get accustomed to it. Really surprised how accessible some of these guys become with this platform. Google really needs to open up invites already.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:08 AM
Safety Car

Article about Hangouts:

Is Google’s Hangouts Its Killer App?
By JENNA WORTHAM

Last night a chatroom changed my life.

But it wasn’t just any chatroom. It was a virtual “hangout,” the group video chat service that is a prominent feature of Google+, Google’s new social-networking service that aims to challenge Facebook..

DIGITAL DIARY
One woman’s look at technology and life.
Shortly before bed, I lingered online, checking my various social networking sites when I noticed several friends were in a video chat session on Google+. I put on some pants and clicked my way into the room with six other people….and didn’t leave until nearly 3 in the morning. We spent several hours cracking jokes, making fun of each other’s snacks and welcoming other friends who noticed our group online and dropped in to say hello. At one point, we found YouTube videos with lyrics and turned the chat into an impromptu karaoke room. A few of our other friends dropped into say hello before making their way offline and heading to bed. One friend, Lindsey, said she’s been hanging out with different groups of friends since 10PM and later told me she didn’t sign off until close to 5 in the morning.

It might be easy to chalk up our giddy excitement to the novelty of the service. But it was a fun, synchronous hangout time on the Internet not quite like anything I’ve ever experienced online. It’s the same thing that makes Turntable.fm, a new music service that lets people play songs to each other in a chatroom, so entertaining. Both services let us do what we’re already doing, most of the time (spending time in front of our computers, and online), and giving us fun, group activities to do while we’re there.

Part of the appeal of Google’s service, I think, is that most of us are already loitering online and are likely already logged into Gmail, making it easy to jump into a room and “hangout.” There’s no awkward preamble of texting to figure out whether or not someone is free to Skype or use FaceTime. You can just start a hangout and see who joins the room or see who in your network is already in a group video chat session and join in.

The other, larger part, is how well the technology works. The service effortlessly switches back and forth between the person who is chatting, cleverly skipping your own camera, so you avoid awkwardly staring into your own face on your laptop screen. In addition, allowing people to watch videos and share GIFs offers enough activity to keep things lively when there’s a lull in conversation. Given that, its not shocking that there are rumors flying today that Google is interested in buying Hulu; it’d be easy to see cozying up for a night and a handful of friends for a 30 Rock marathon or to settle in with a movie.

GigaOm, a technology blog, dove deep into the technology behind the service, which includes cloud-based architecture and a close-knit browser integration, keeping out the stuttery lags that tend to be a buzzkill for other video messaging services.

I’m curious to see what happens as more people gain access to Google+ and whether hangouts will be as fun and frequent, or whether the novelty will fade. The scene is only likely to get more interesting as Facebook may be eager to introduce its own videochatting services, as TechCrunch is reporting.
http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/...ts-killer-app/
Old 07-06-2011, 01:29 PM
Balling in the...

Received 64 Likes on 58 Posts
Im still Confused on how to get an Invite... Do you have to Receive an invite from someone who has it already? If so can someone sent me one?? to Gcalixto325 at Gmail dot com Ill appreciate it greatly, been tryna get into this for some time, just don't know how to
Old 07-06-2011, 02:19 PM

Received 2,811 Likes on 1,991 Posts
So no more private profiles.

And if your profile is currently private google will delete yer profile.

Google+ to require that profiles be visible to all, will boot private profiles after July 31st
BY ZACH HONIG
POSTEDJUL 6TH 2011 04:36AM

Don't want anyone searching for you on Google+? No problem! Just leave your profile marked as private and Google will punt your page from the cloud after July 31st. If you still want your profile around come August, you'll need to mark it as public before that deadline. You can still keep most of your personal details under lock and key, limiting access to specific elements to yourself, your Circles, extended Circles, or anyone on the web -- Google does require that your full name and gender be available to everyone, however. Want your social network profile to be forever visible to you and you alone? MySpace is still around. For a little while longer, at least.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:57 PM

Security will have to be supa tite with everyone using their real names and your profile on the open... I like bc I will be able to finds peeps bases on their real names .... I love AZ but I hardly know anyone's real names
.. lol
Old 07-06-2011, 04:01 PM

Phone post syntax failure...
Old 07-06-2011, 04:08 PM
Balling in the...

Old 07-06-2011, 07:16 PM

I'm in! Trying to figure out how to send invites....
Old 07-06-2011, 08:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
I've been in for a few days but haven't really figured it out yet.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:28 PM
Safety Car

It looks like Google is doubling their field trial but they're not saying how much that number is. My girlfriend's account just got through. If you were just invited recently try logging in now.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:32 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by paz840
I've been in for a few days but haven't really figured it out yet.
Check out my posts in this thread especially the wiki. Its pretty much like Facebook without the clutter at the moment.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:50 PM

Received 2,811 Likes on 1,991 Posts
but facebook isnt even that cluttered.. now myspace on the other hand back in the day...
Old 07-06-2011, 11:46 PM
Balling in the...

If anyone can I would love an Invite...
Old 07-06-2011, 11:58 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mafyoso
If anyone can I would love an Invite...
I'm not next to a PC or else I would gladly do it. Try PMing people who got their invites here.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
facebook added video chat, lol they're trying to keep up with google now
although this needs to open up to more people!
Old 07-07-2011, 06:22 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts
Invite please?
Old 07-07-2011, 06:53 AM

I sent an invite to mafyoso. Keep checking the site to see if there is a join button.

Whiskers, pm me your gmail addy.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:55 AM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Received 527 Likes on 387 Posts
C'mon...more people need to join...I made a TSX circle for you guys hahah
Old 07-07-2011, 07:40 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Doesn't seem like there's too much to do right now. Although the hangout feature is pretty fun at times.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:34 PM
Balling in the...

Got the Invite... Nice I love Google to Def so i had to check this ish out quick...
Old 07-07-2011, 08:36 PM
Balling in the...

I swear my Acurazine Peoples are the SHIT.. I bet if i wanted to rob a Bank all i would have to do is post a thread here named "How to Rob a Bank" and Boom I would get all the info i needed including help LMAO
Old 07-07-2011, 09:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
I got an invite from a friend but haven't been able to get in..
Old 07-07-2011, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Shoofin
I got an invite from a friend but haven't been able to get in..
Keep checking the site. It's pretty random how and when you get in.

I sent Whiskers an invite and he was in within 30 minutes.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:05 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
I wants a invite to this google frenzy
Old 07-07-2011, 10:47 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Flipster23
I wants a invite to this google frenzy
PM your e-mail. It seems invite go on and off randomly. I just had an invite people on the bottom right of my stream page but when I refreshed my stream it was gone. So probably have to do the post share invite trick which seems to be working for some people.

Any one try the new YouTube Cosmic Panda?

http://www.youtube.com/cosmicpanda

I guess this is what the future interface will look like. Google is really pushing for that UI unification on all their stuff. You can revert if you don't like it with the link above as well.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:22 PM

Here is what Dave Besbris posted about the invites:

Hey Google+ folks!

As I bet you've noticed, we are facing pretty incredible demand for Google+ invites.

As Engineering Director of Google+, I wanted to take a moment to explain why we're growing the system slowly. First, we want to make sure our infrastructure scales so the service remains fast and reliable. Second, we want to ensure that bugs are fixed while there are still a relatively few people in the field trial.

Things are going well with the systems right now so we feel comfortable enough to open up invites for a brief period. Our goal is to double the user base in the field trial. (Sorry, we're not giving details about how many folks are in the field trial yet).

So, in a few minutes, we'll open up invites again.

We continue to throttle invites, so please don't mass invite folks as it won't work. If you invite a handful of your most important friends and family you're much more likely to get these folks into our system.

Thanks again for providing so much wonderful feedback!
Old 07-08-2011, 06:33 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts
add me wsklar at gmail dot com
Old 07-08-2011, 09:59 AM
Safety Car

^Just added you. Seems like a lot of people are getting in every now and then.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
I'm In!

Who's going to add me?
Old 07-08-2011, 10:37 AM
Safety Car

Looks like invites are open again. At least its showing up for me I can invite people. I shouldn't refresh my stream for now. lol.

I really like how you can comment on threads from the notification bar. Its so efficient. Instead of the notification directing you to back to the post, you can read the whole thing from the notification bar and even comment back on there.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:12 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I want in

Quick Reply: Google: Google+ News and Discussion Thread