Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Do you fear me now?

Old 11-06-2003, 09:46 AM
on bin laden

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by soopa
unless your a construction worker or a tow truck driver i just cant see any point in PTT.
I can setup a call with all my technicians in the region in under 5 seconds. If I need a question answered, I don't wanna have to call 20 people individually, I want to ask them all at once, and whoever knows can answer.

The possibilities are endless!

The uptake of this technology is rediculously high.
Old 11-06-2003, 10:03 AM
Race Director

You're right, too much to go into....I'm exhausted just reading Fotis' post, perhaps we can discuss it in person when he visits KC later this month. Fotis, bring your shotgun, perhaps we can go to the local shooting range and discuss it in between the clay pigeons and the bowling pins, right Siggy?

The only thing I will address is Sprint's larger digital network, since that struck a nerve. I said I can prove it...I will.

Oh and finally Verizon keeps saying they are the first. Those things Fotis mentioned are not firsts, those are seconds, maybe thirds as far as the public is concerned. Yeah it's first within CDMA or the US but the Verizon philosophy is launch it before the next guy even though it doesn't quite work or even if they launch one or two markets. For example:

3G1X-RTT: Verizon or Sprint. That's all in this particular race. Verizon launched the first market because the hodge-podge Verizon market forces them to do this. Sprint's entire network is identical so we have to wait until we have the entire nation ready, then we launch. When Verizon turned 3G on in a few big cities, it was a few months later and Sprint turned on the entire nation all at once. They beat us in a few cities, we beat them nationwide. Today Verizon 3G is still not nationwide.

3G1X-EVDO-again they launched San Diego and Washingto DC a few months ago. You count this as first? I'm my book you're not first until all or the majority of your customers can use it. 2 million out of 40 million is hardly a first. Just because I turned on live TV and wi-fi in my Sprint phone at home that's not exactly a first if all my customers can't use it. But this is not a good example because Sprint is not going to do EVDO anyway, we are skipping over it. So Verizon will be the first and the last with this one.

Blackberry over 1X: big deal, Blackberry was nothing new, so you changed the color and speed it up a bit, the old Blackberry on steroids. That's a first?

Intercarrier SMS: The nation thrives on SMS; billions of messages a year that are not intercarrier capable from ATT, TMobile, Cingular. Then Verizon finally gets it the game, throws in the intercarrier capability, and now claims an industry first with SMS? The customers can't stop talking about it......

Nationwide PTT group calling: It's a marketing thing. Yes you were first here but if you can't beat the competitor by several months, it's nothing to brag about. If you launch on Thanksgiving and the competitor launches on Christmas, how is that a win? Sprint will get it right or will not do it. Launching a half-baked service with one modified phone ONLY means you put out crap differently than the next guy. I guarantee you that if we did something like this, all the equipment would be new and the service would work the exact same identical on every square inch of our territory.

What is all means it Verizon rolls out stuff a little bit faster than everyone else, yes they do. But they haven't thought of anything new and exciting that no one else hasn't thought of or plans to have in a few months. Claiming to be first is like a car manufacturer claiming to have the first power brakes or the first rear window defroster or the first HIDs. Means nothing to the public not really

And by the way, you say the public has spoken? Shawn, did you chose Verizon because they had superior service, quality phones, and great customer service? Or did you one day wake up and find that your new owners called themselves by a new name that you couldn't prenounce...that your bill now read V instead of BAM. They purchased you, didn't they? They bought about 10 million customers. It's nothing to be ashamed of, Sprint bought the Hawaii customers from Primeco as few years ago, about 50,000?

I'm not getting into the airline comparison...you've changed the subject on that one. It's lost in the translation.
Old 11-06-2003, 11:27 AM
on bin laden

Forget the shotgun, i'm bringing the springfield with interbond cartriges. You guys keep your sporting clay courses open in november??? sweet ...

Go ahead and prove it ... I'm waiting ...

Maybe I should have clarified and mentioned which were first in the world, US, and CDMA ... but it was a short comment that was to make a point regarding somebodys narrow view of an industry. we can get into though ... incidentally I meant in the US, same inherantly apply to CDMA.

3G1X-RTT: Verizon launched first. I am correct. The reason that it was rolled out in the manner it was has nothing to do with the previous companies that now makeup Verizon. Saying that, along with "Sprint's entire network is identical" are completely false statements. I don't blame you for not understanding. Sprint in Minneapolis runs on a Nortel system. Sprint in Chicago runs on a Motorola system. Elsewhere Sprint runs Lucent and other vendors. Verizon does the same. Not all these vendors came up with 3G1XRTT implmentations at the same time. Lucent was the first. Motorola dragged their feet on this, and Verizon did not want to wait, so all the markets that had Lucent and Nortel started launching first. Sprint waited to get all their markets complete before launching. So they were 9 months late. Even then, they didn't wait for Motorola to come up with a final solution, so they split the backhaul, which they are now regretting (chicago point in case). Verizon rejected that network solution and we run a packet backhaul, but had to wait a few extra months. That is why Minneapolis & Denver took so long to launch 3G1XRTT. Another false statement you are making is that Verizon is not 3G nationwide. Verizon is 3G nationwide, since June. I'm sorry you are completely wrong.

3G1X-EVDO: Verizon launched first. I am correct. It was to test the waters in those two markets. Now you will see the run for it nationwide. Sprint has already racheted back comments about waiting for EVDV. If Verizon keeps rolling EVDO like they are, you will see Sprint start to take a look at EVDO more and more. They cannot afford to be behind until 2007.

Blackberry over 1X: Verizon launched first. I am correct. You know likey?????

Intercarrier SMS: Verizon launched first. I am correct. Nobody else had it. We even got it to work with that crappy sprint short mail.

Nationwide PTT group calling: Verizon launched first. I am correct. I wanna see Sprint do 20 people in a nationwide group call ... Nextel ... Bueller??? The service is for real, it is selling well, aside from the nextel-huggers and verizon-haters, it is well appreciated in the industry. Since Verizon is completely 1X, it works on their entire footprint. What's gonna happen to Sprint PTT the minute you step out of a dense population or interstate corridor??? The same thing that happens to Vision ... turns into a BRICK that can only make roaming digital voice calls on the LARGER verizon wireless network.

You can slice it and dice it any which way you want, but Verizon as a company has earned more customers than Sprint. That's the way the cookie has crumbled. Feel free to minimize it, I was just answering adam's question.

Originally posted by kensteele
You're right, too much to go into....I'm exhausted just reading Fotis' post, perhaps we can discuss it in person when he visits KC later this month. Fotis, bring your shotgun, perhaps we can go to the local shooting range and discuss it in between the clay pigeons and the bowling pins, right Siggy?

The only thing I will address is Sprint's larger digital network, since that struck a nerve. I said I can prove it...I will.

Oh and finally Verizon keeps saying they are the first. Those things Fotis mentioned are not firsts, those are seconds, maybe thirds as far as the public is concerned. Yeah it's first within CDMA or the US but the Verizon philosophy is launch it before the next guy even though it doesn't quite work or even if they launch one or two markets. For example:

3G1X-RTT: Verizon or Sprint. That's all in this particular race. Verizon launched the first market because the hodge-podge Verizon market forces them to do this. Sprint's entire network is identical so we have to wait until we have the entire nation ready, then we launch. When Verizon turned 3G on in a few big cities, it was a few months later and Sprint turned on the entire nation all at once. They beat us in a few cities, we beat them nationwide. Today Verizon 3G is still not nationwide.

3G1X-EVDO-again they launched San Diego and Washingto DC a few months ago. You count this as first? I'm my book you're not first until all or the majority of your customers can use it. 2 million out of 40 million is hardly a first. Just because I turned on live TV and wi-fi in my Sprint phone at home that's not exactly a first if all my customers can't use it. But this is not a good example because Sprint is not going to do EVDO anyway, we are skipping over it. So Verizon will be the first and the last with this one.

Blackberry over 1X: big deal, Blackberry was nothing new, so you changed the color and speed it up a bit, the old Blackberry on steroids. That's a first?

Intercarrier SMS: The nation thrives on SMS; billions of messages a year that are not intercarrier capable from ATT, TMobile, Cingular. Then Verizon finally gets it the game, throws in the intercarrier capability, and now claims an industry first with SMS? The customers can't stop talking about it......

Nationwide PTT group calling: It's a marketing thing. Yes you were first here but if you can't beat the competitor by several months, it's nothing to brag about. If you launch on Thanksgiving and the competitor launches on Christmas, how is that a win? Sprint will get it right or will not do it. Launching a half-baked service with one modified phone ONLY means you put out crap differently than the next guy. I guarantee you that if we did something like this, all the equipment would be new and the service would work the exact same identical on every square inch of our territory.

What is all means it Verizon rolls out stuff a little bit faster than everyone else, yes they do. But they haven't thought of anything new and exciting that no one else hasn't thought of or plans to have in a few months. Claiming to be first is like a car manufacturer claiming to have the first power brakes or the first rear window defroster or the first HIDs. Means nothing to the public not really

And by the way, you say the public has spoken? Shawn, did you chose Verizon because they had superior service, quality phones, and great customer service? Or did you one day wake up and find that your new owners called themselves by a new name that you couldn't prenounce...that your bill now read V instead of BAM. They purchased you, didn't they? They bought about 10 million customers. It's nothing to be ashamed of, Sprint bought the Hawaii customers from Primeco as few years ago, about 50,000?

I'm not getting into the airline comparison...you've changed the subject on that one. It's lost in the translation.
Old 11-06-2003, 11:33 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by fbazakos
Imagine driving to work and streaming mp3's on your car stereo. Verizon Wireless web is text based, running on 2G. There is a change coming to this quite soon.
i can imagine it with a bluetooth capable phone
Old 11-06-2003, 01:16 PM
on bin laden

i can imagine it with a bluetooth capable phone
I can't ... it's too slow ... 720Kbps is all bluetooth can handle (theoretically) ... I haven't seen a bluetooth implementation go past 200 Kbps :thumbsdn:
Old 11-06-2003, 01:54 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
unless your a construction worker or a tow truck driver i just cant see any point in PTT.

But the kids sure do love it.
Old 11-06-2003, 01:55 PM
-S namyaC-

I use it at work (installs, live audio) as a replacement for walkie talkies. They work great, and I only need to carry my phone. All the complaining soccor moms need to STFU!
Old 11-06-2003, 02:11 PM
The Creator

I can't ... it's too slow ... 720Kbps is all bluetooth can handle (theoretically) ... I haven't seen a bluetooth implementation go past 200 Kbps :thumbsdn:
thats plenty for getting the stream from your phone to your car stereo.

shit... bluetooth is already being used to stream audio and video from misc devices.
Old 11-06-2003, 02:34 PM
on bin laden

thats plenty for getting the stream from your phone to your car stereo.

shit... bluetooth is already being used to stream audio and video from misc devices.
not with the overhead for TCP/IP, plus the RP tunnel for the 3G connection ... what do i know ...

okay, let me up the ante ... how about streaming video.
Old 11-06-2003, 03:49 PM
The Creator

not with the overhead for TCP/IP, plus the RP tunnel for the 3G connection ... what do i know ...

okay, let me up the ante ... how about streaming video.
what does any of that have anything to do with it?

my point was... the phone would download the audio stream via your 3G EVDO junk... and broadcast it via bluetooth to your car's stereo.

otherwise what the fuck is the point of mp3 streaming? gonna listen to that shit on your phones speaker box !?

what about video? dont forget i do have some experience in video applications via phones... although under much different situations.
http://www.on2.com/vp5_iraq.php3

anyway... my point is... bluetooth has the bandwidth for hi fidelity audio streaming. period.
Old 11-06-2003, 05:36 PM
Movin on up...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i love the battle...