AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Technology (https://acurazine.com/forums/technology-16/)
-   -   Do you fear me now? (https://acurazine.com/forums/technology-16/do-you-fear-me-now-120031/)

kensteele 11-05-2003 04:01 PM

Originally posted by YuppieCL
i could care less what kind of phone i use. as long as its small and reliable i'm cool with that.

If handset do not matter, then I personally challenge you to swap out your current Verizon phone and use the LG VX3100 for the remainder of the year.

You've already put your personal tastes on it (small) which means you DO think it matters some, other people use the words COLOR, or NOKIA, or FLIP to describe their own personal taste. Anyway the LG is small and it must be reliable because Verizon sells it, so switch. If you can live with that phone thru December 31st, you should be representing the millions of people who believe the same thing as you. Do this and let us know how it goes. :chuckle:

mikeymobiles 11-05-2003 04:08 PM

Originally posted by soopa
:bs: you say that now as a verizon employee. .

someones away message the other day was " CAN YOUR HEAR ME NOW"....

someone likes there job way to much...

But number portability and cheaper VERIZON PHONES then the verizon stores sell them for will own all of jooooz

kensteele 11-05-2003 04:16 PM

Originally posted by fbazakos
Soopa,

The differentiation between networks is huge. It's like drag racing a car ... or getting power out of a car. The first huge chunk is easy, it's those last few tenths of a second that take the most effort, and are hardest to acheive.

If you knew the infrastructure difference between the two networks like I do, you wouldn't be saying that. As a casual consumer, I don't blame you. I've showed the guys that have visited me the difference. If you walked into a sprint facility, you'd see the difference. Unfortunately all you see is the plastic in your hand, and the marketing on TV. I can get into more details if you like. But here is one piece that will help you understand. Sprint spent $2 billion dollars on their network this year. They just annouced another $2 billion dollars for next year. And they are proud of that. Verizon has been spending $5 billion a year for the past several years, and you will see the same amount next year. The gap in quality will only widen. That is simple math ...

However the end result is what you see here and the other thread about 3rd quarter results, and it proves myself and yuppie correct. execution through quality service will win you the market in the wireless industry in america.

Verizon MUST spend more money on the network and infrastructure than Sprint. Verizon has more towers, they have properties that operate on two different frequencies 800mHz and 1900mHz, they have stuff they need to keep up in Montana and Wyoming and South Dakota and Idaho that Sprint doesn't have, Verizon is still trying to upgrade their entire network to 3G, Sprint is already there...among other things.

If you had said Sprint is only spending $2 million dollars, THEN I would say "wait a minute..." But the difference between $2 and $5 billion is a lot of money but when was the last time the travelling public thought that American Airlines spending $100 million on aircraft maintenance vs. Northwest Airlines spending $400 million on aircraft maintenance had anything to do with on-time performance, reliability, less crashes, more routes, cheaper airfare, or anything else. And who's to say that the amount of money you spend is directly translated and directly impacts the customer? AT&T is probably spending more money than both Sprint and Verizon together. But AT&T is spending the money because they are converting a TDMA network to a GSM network. I seem to recall Verizon spend a boatload of money just to fix all those broken down properties they acquired.

The amount of dollars is not directly proportional to the quality. Sure spending more money on your network will do wonders for it, but you can't tell me that if I spend $2,000 on my BMW in maintenace and you spend $4,000 in maintenance on your Ford, that you're drive a luxury sedan and I drive a beater.

Nope. At $2 billion, the Sprint network is great! You can spend $1 trillion on your network if you have it, it's not going to translate to more customers if you don't keep up the other goodies. Verizon always price-react to Sprint. If their network was so superior, they wouldn't.

kensteele 11-05-2003 04:23 PM

The wireless industry is like the airline industry.

Who can tell me the last time they purchased a plane ticket on a "flat-broke" airline? Did it matter to you?

Unless that airline was on the verge of being bankrupt, did you check the financials before you both that "cheaper" ticket?

Ok, wireless takes a little bit more committment, but one company turning a $2 billion profit vs. the other company turning a $10 billion profit? :rofl:

Who here thinks American and United are "making" money?

You plan to fly Southwest Airlines next week? They don't spend d*ck when it comes to airlines maintenance, etc. I'm sure Northwest Airlines spends a ton more $$$ to maintain and upgrade their fleet? Do you care? Or does frequent flyer miles rulz jooooooz? :chuckle:

soopa 11-05-2003 04:32 PM

Soopa,

The differentiation between networks is huge. It's like drag racing a car ... or getting power out of a car. The first huge chunk is easy, it's those last few tenths of a second that take the most effort, and are hardest to acheive.

If you knew the infrastructure difference between the two networks like I do, you wouldn't be saying that. As a casual consumer, I don't blame you. I've showed the guys that have visited me the difference. If you walked into a sprint facility, you'd see the difference. Unfortunately all you see is the plastic in your hand, and the marketing on TV. I can get into more details if you like. But here is one piece that will help you understand. Sprint spent $2 billion dollars on their network this year. They just annouced another $2 billion dollars for next year. And they are proud of that. Verizon has been spending $5 billion a year for the past several years, and you will see the same amount next year. The gap in quality will only widen. That is simple math ...

However the end result is what you see here and the other thread about 3rd quarter results, and it proves myself and yuppie correct. execution through quality service will win you the market in the wireless industry in america.

LOL

I don't give a FUCK about what happens to my call behind the scenes. As long as "yo nigga what up" gets from point a to point b im happy.

and I have only very rarely been in a situation where that has happened on Verizon and not on Sprint.

the networks are very very comparable. consumers think so... and no... its not thanks to Sprints marketing... which sucks IMO.

COMPAREABLE might not be enough to convince the majority of the public to go to Sprint since Verizon has good marketing AND currently the good namebrand. Which is why Verizon is winning.

I think on average... if you ask typical dumb consumers... like me... Sprint experience and Verizon experience will be pretty much the same.

I mean cmon... I have no reason to stick with Sprint. Except that Verizon's network is simply not BETTER ENOUGH to make me switch back to them.

And you said it yourself... I live in a Tier-2 market. Albany's metro area only expands about 25-30 miles in each direction with the exception of North... where it seems to never stop. But overall im surrounded by rural areas... I live in a valley surrounded by 4 of the countries largest mountain ranges. Yet I still see the networks as comparable despite spending a significant amount of time in barren areas.

I commute 55 miles to work across a river, through a valley, over a mountain range... and I get service from door to door. I spend 20 miles of that commute on a county road.

kensteele 11-05-2003 04:43 PM

Don't let anyone fool you. The Sprint digital network is larger than the Verizon Wireless digital network. I can prove it.

I would image most people really don't care that Verizon extends out into the rural areas of Montana, Wyoming, Idaho and North and South Dakota and as a result reach quite a few customers that have never even see a Sprint store. Good thing a Sprint phone will actually use the Verizon network in those rural communities (usually for no extra charge) so we can keep the rest of our 20 million customers happy when they visit grandma.

NOVAwhiteTypeS 11-05-2003 05:22 PM

http://img.epinions.com/images/feeds...resized200.jpg

This is the BRICK phone I use. why? because its durable as fuck and i can drop and still be on the call. plus the talk time is awesome.

For me network coverage is better than how a phone looks why? because my calls are more important esp if Im on a call w/ a customer. I could care less how pretty the phone is.

BUt on the other hand people who use the phone as a fashion accessory might think different.

kensteele 11-05-2003 05:38 PM

Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS
http://img.epinions.com/images/feeds...resized200.jpg

This is the BRICK phone I use. why? because its durable as fuck and i can drop and still be on the call. plus the talk time is awesome.

For me network coverage is better than how a phone looks why? because my calls are more important esp if Im on a call w/ a customer. I could care less how pretty the phone is.

BUt on the other hand people who use the phone as a fashion accessory might think different.

You should upgrade. Phones are like computers. The old ones work, but new phones not only get more stylish, but more importantly, they get the newest and latest processors, and chipsets, and electronics. They are necessarily more reliable, more durable, better battery life than what you are using. That's not a maybe; that's a for sure.

I dunno, maybe you have found the need to stop by the store and see what's better. But I can assure you, if you think you have great coverage and good call voice quality on your current network with that phone, if that is so important, why would you not be interested in doubling that with a better phone on your same carrier for only a few extra dollars?

What motivates people to buy phones and use the [premium] services are different things. Some people just don't care. Fortunately most do. It's my job to find out what that is. If I were on your carrier's marketing team, I would send you a $150 off coupon on the phone of your choice if you come to the store and consider a new one. Maybe a $25 credit on your bill just simply for stopping by. Or probably $50 to take that phone off your hands and get you into a better one guaranteed you will love it better than yours. Why wouldn't you? We have "new" brick phones for sale.

soopa 11-05-2003 06:50 PM

Originally posted by kensteele
You should upgrade. Phones are like computers. The old ones work, but new phones not only get more stylish, but more importantly, they get the newest and latest processors, and chipsets, and electronics. They are necessarily more reliable, more durable, better battery life than what you are using. That's not a maybe; that's a for sure.

I dunno, maybe you have found the need to stop by the store and see what's better. But I can assure you, if you think you have great coverage and good call voice quality on your current network with that phone, if that is so important, why would you not be interested in doubling that with a better phone on your same carrier for only a few extra dollars?

What motivates people to buy phones and use the [premium] services are different things. Some people just don't care. Fortunately most do. It's my job to find out what that is. If I were on your carrier's marketing team, I would send you a $150 off coupon on the phone of your choice if you come to the store and consider a new one. Maybe a $25 credit on your bill just simply for stopping by. Or probably $50 to take that phone off your hands and get you into a better one guaranteed you will love it better than yours. Why wouldn't you? We have "new" brick phones for sale.

Don't let Joe fool you Ken.

I was just with Joe in August... he does not use that phone. He has 2 numbers... one of which is a nice lil flip phone... and its the only one i saw him use. heh

lying son of a bitch! ;)

proves people on the interweb will say anything to prove a point :D

and btw Joe... if you `cared` so much and you did actually use that phone... then your fooling yourself since any modern phone would get better reception and have longer battery life. heh

also... my color flip camera phone is durable as hell... i drop it consistently... fuck... I WENT SWIMMING WITH IT once. lol. but it works great.

my previous phone once spent an hour on the floor pan of a go kart bouncing around at 35 mph...... but aside from a few scratches... no problema.

my LG before that on the other hand... errr. piece of shit.

mikeymobiles 11-05-2003 06:55 PM

if you dont have at least 2 cell phones your nothing in this world...i'm sure ken and fotis can back me up on this one...

kensteele 11-05-2003 07:19 PM

Don't let Joe fool you Ken.

I was just with Joe in August... he does not use that phone. He has 2 numbers... one of which is a nice lil flip phone... and its the only one i saw him use. heh

lying son of a bitch! ;)

proves people on the interweb will say anything to prove a point :D

and btw Joe... if you `cared` so much and you did actually use that phone... then your fooling yourself since any modern phone would get better reception and have longer battery life. heh

also... my color flip camera phone is durable as hell... i drop it consistently... fuck... I WENT SWIMMING WITH IT once. lol. but it works great.

my previous phone once spent an hour on the floor pan of a go kart bouncing around at 35 mph...... but aside from a few scratches... no problema.

my LG before that on the other hand... errr. piece of shit.

Yeah I know. Many people have a bunch of phones and have had several in their life. Average is 10-16 months and that's getting shorter despite the long durability of phones.

I will keep the phones coming as long as the people keep buying them. Just like any of the popular finer electronics, some phones just can't be manufacturered and sold quickly enough. When the i500 and the Sanyo 8100 first came out, we lost sales cause they couldn't build them fast enough as we could sell them.

:D

kensteele 11-05-2003 07:23 PM

Originally posted by mikeymobiles
if you dont have at least 2 cell phones your nothing in this world...i'm sure ken and fotis can back me up on this one...
Hehe, absolutely. Everyone has phones today and more people use them for social (talking about absolutely nothing) than for business. We'll still sell the old reliable standby but to miss out on the cute, stylish goodies...why? Hey that's my job. I work everyday trying to find the next winner.

Sarlacc 11-05-2003 07:25 PM

Originally posted by kensteele
Yeah I know. Many people have a bunch of phones and have had several in their life. Average is 10-16 months and that's getting shorter despite the long durability of phones.

I will keep the phones coming as long as the people keep buying them. Just like any of the popular finer electronics, some phones just can't be manufacturered and sold quickly enough. When the i500 and the Sanyo 8100 first came out, we lost sales cause they couldn't build them fast enough as we could sell them.

:D

When I was getting my 100 off any sprint phone i couldnt find an i500 ANYWHERE in LA, or online. period.

So i got the 5300. While i was back east for a film shoot i stopped home to see my folks for a couple days. The sprint store there had ONE i500, and I could have gotten it for $350, but it was too late, i was too used to the 5300, couldnt go back.

soopa 11-05-2003 07:25 PM

i have 3 phones on 3 numbers... but i have yet to find a reason to use more than one. :dunno:

mikeymobiles 11-05-2003 07:44 PM

i have 3 phones on 3 numbers... but i have yet to find a reason to use more than one. :dunno:
Business, pleasure and ? whats the 3rd one all about...

Shawn S 11-06-2003 03:34 AM

I’m ready to upgrade my LG-510, but Verizon doesn’t have anything that I consider a worthwhile upgrade right now.
That certainly doesn’t mean I’ll be switching services though.

I’ve been with them since they were Bell Atlantic Mobile back in the late 80’s and I don’t plan on switching providers just for a cool phone.

I do hope they come out with something I like SOON !!!

Shawn S

YuppieCL 11-06-2003 05:40 AM

someones away message the other day was " CAN YOUR HEAR ME NOW"....

someone likes there job way to much...

i do..... esp when they give me 4 courtside seats to tuesdays nets/rockets game for no reason.... gotta have some pride in who u work for, i dont mope around all day long saying how much i hate my job-- like where i used to work.....

YuppieCL 11-06-2003 05:50 AM

Originally posted by Shawn S
I’m ready to upgrade my LG-510, but Verizon doesn’t have anything that I consider a worthwhile upgrade right now.
That certainly doesn’t mean I’ll be switching services though.

I’ve been with them since they were Bell Atlantic Mobile back in the late 80’s and I don’t plan on switching providers just for a cool phone.

I do hope they come out with something I like SOON !!!

Shawn S

I like this phone... it'll be out before the holidays http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?id=360

the 510 is a great phone.... some of them tho are doomed by the battery which craps out under a year....

YuppieCL 11-06-2003 05:54 AM

if you dont have at least 2 cell phones your nothing in this world...
ignorant statement.
doesn't mean you're nothing.... thats just plain moronic.

having two vzw cell phones really wouldn't make sense to me.... i'm thinking about trading one of my vzw demo lines for an at&t demo line.... the at&t gsm demo doesn't work in my development tho... who'da thunk it?

i wanna get ptt.... but i know like 3 people who have it, and one of em lives in mineeesoooota. everyone i work with (and know) has the vx6000, so i get more use out of the camera aspect now...

Shawn S 11-06-2003 06:09 AM

I like this phone... it'll be out before the holidays http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?id=360

the 510 is a great phone.... some of them tho are doomed by the battery which craps out under a year....

Yea, mine chews through batteries pretty quick.
I always thought it was because I buy the cheap generic ones off EBAY.

Here’s a stupid cell phone question. This looks like as good a place as any to post it.

If I upgrade to a camera phone do I NEED to get a photo sharing plan to go with it or can I just use it as a low quality digital and copy the photos off to my PC?

YuppieCL 11-06-2003 06:36 AM

If I upgrade to a camera phone do I NEED to get a photo sharing plan to go with it or can I just use it as a low quality digital and copy the photos off to my PC?

a data plan for picture messaging is not required with the purchase of a camera phone. however, without that, the only way to get the photos onto your PC are to upload them to http://www.vzwpix.com at $0.30 a hit or purchase an oem data cable for that particular phone which could run you ~$60. you can find aftermarket usb cables that do the same thing for about $30 online.

YuppieCL 11-06-2003 06:37 AM

Yea, mine chews through batteries pretty quick.
I always thought it was because I buy the cheap generic ones off EBAY.

oem batteries are warrantied up to a year. bring your oem batt back to your local verizon communications store and have them swap it out at no charge under warranty.

fbazakos 11-06-2003 07:08 AM

Wow, so many things were said that were wrong I don't even know where to start. I'm sitting here shaking my head trying to figure out if I have enough time to straighten everything out. Keep in mind that I'm not guessing at what I'm saying, I am completely sure.

Shawn, There are several new handsets coming out. You have not seen them from any other provider. One will have a new feature that no other provider has.

Yuppie/Moses, I probably have more cell phone numbers than everybody on this board. I personally carry, in my bag everyday, 2 aircards (1 for laptop, 1 for iPaq), 1 blackberry, 3 PTT phones, 1 camera phone, 1 7135, 1 i600, and right now two other devices that I cannot mention. I have to do this for my work. If I were a normal consumer, I would probably have two... one data type device for work ... and one small voice device that either had PTT or camera for personal use.

Ken, There is a group of 10-15 people that do the same thing your group does over here. I've seen commercial sprint branded phones go through our tests and fail.

There is no way in heck you can make that statement about Sprint's network being larger than Verizon's. Drop the marketing for a second. I'm calling you out on that statement. Back it up with something. I'm not going to address it further, that is plain pathetic. The differences isn't in those small states, otherwise Verizon wouldn't have twice as many customers as Sprint. You have to have breadth of coverage, not just dense areas and corridors. The people have realized this, and have spoken by choosing Verizon instead of other providers.

If it were up to me, I'd fly the highest quality airline I can find. Unfortunately the wireless industry is NOTHING LIKE the airline industry. A company a dominate a market simply by making their hubs there. I don't have time to be taking connections to fly through Pittsburgh because US Airways is a more premium airline than Northwest, and they give me peanuts instead of pretzels. That was a terrible comparision, should be withdrawn. Nextel gives out WordPerks miles, you don't see me carrying a Nextel phone :D it used to be sprint, remember ?

Now my favorite part. Trying to dimish the capex spending of Verizon vs Sprint. The old adage it takes a million to make a million comes into play here. Verizon invests in their network, but they actually make it back ... times four or five ... and that is the profit i'm referring to. We are talking about a >50% difference in spending here. How can you say that isn't a big deal. And no, At&t does not spend more in its changeout. The frequencies have nothing to do with how much things cost, so that is out. Verizon's network has been 100% 3G since June, so that is out. And apparently according to you Sprint has a larger network than Verizon so it must cost them more to upgrade everything, regardless of WHERE the equipment is located, so that is out :rolleyes: ... so I guess we'll have to get into those "among other things..." I agree there isn't a direct proportion between spending and improvement. In fact I said that in a previous post, it tapers off, it is those last few %age points of improvement that cost a most, like getting your 1/4 mile time down at the track. But you have to compare apples to apples. Both providers have CDMA 3G equipment. The cost is the same to upgrade, it is linear. If any comparison to cars were to be made, i'd go for it if you said "Spend $5,000 on mods for a BMW [Verizon] or $2,000 on mods for a Acura [Sprint]" and assumed mods cost the same (since they do for the wireless piece of this comparision) then which car will be better in the end? That makes sense. If you start ahead of the pack, and spend more improving it, it only widens the gap. This is all reflected in the financials and results, which makes this job of explains things to you all very easy.

Soopa, That is simply not the case. The majority of people are not pleased with their Sprint service and they are running away and not joining. Don't believe me? Look at the 3rd quarter results. Sprint's churn was 2.7% versus 1.4% for Verizon. Sprint added 189,000 customers versus 1.4 MILLION for Verizon. Do you get it? No? Wait until 11/24 and you'll see more of the same. You've never lost anything significant by your phone not working 99% of the time instead of 92% of the time. All it takes is one executive to drop on a big financing call and suddenly Verizon picks up 10,000 corporate account.

Siggy, I wasn't referring to NOC's or labs, I agree those are pretty worthless overall. It is the Mobile Switching Centers (MSC's) as you call it backhaul equipment that make the difference. It is the infrastructure between them. It is the base station equipment at each cell site, how much there is, how many antennas affect capacity. How many T1's run back to the MSC's .. how big is the OC between the MSC's. There is a reason why 3G1XRTT for Verizon is faster, even though SPrint runs the same technology. There is a reason why verizon can support 20 people on a group PTT call and nextel can't support nationwide group calls, and sprint probably won't get more than 5 on a group call. What you're missing is that Verizon has in fact gone through what Sprint is going through now. They made their changes ... through acquisitions ... Sprint will have to do the same, either that or get eaten up by somebody else. Sprint is the smaller company here.

soopa 11-06-2003 07:38 AM

anyone ever notice how often fotis accuses people of being blinded by marketing...... yet every single statement out of his mouth is direct from Verizon press release. heheh

Shawn S 11-06-2003 07:41 AM

Shawn, There are several new handsets coming out. You have not seen them from any other provider. One will have a new feature that no other provider has.

I’m looking forward to it. :thumbsup:
Hopefully something with a speakerphone.
Stick-shift car, city traffic and an unexpected phone call are a BAD combination. :(

Shawn S 11-06-2003 07:46 AM

oem batteries are warrantied up to a year. bring your oem batt back to your local verizon communications store and have them swap it out at no charge under warranty.
My original OEM battery lasted a little over a year.
When I saw that a new one cost 35 bucks I went to EBAY and bought the generic one for 5-6 bucks and have been getting them there ever since.
They last about 8-9 months top, but it’s still cheaper when you’re a TIGHT ASS like me. :D

fbazakos 11-06-2003 07:47 AM

anyone ever notice how often fotis accuses people of being blinded by marketing...... yet every single statement out of his mouth is direct from Verizon press release. heheh
I can't tell you what I want to tell you. So I take public information and I validate it for you by explaining it, since I understand it and work with it. That is all I can offer.

YuppieCL 11-06-2003 07:47 AM

I’m looking forward to it. :thumbsup:
Hopefully something with a speakerphone.
Stick-shift car, city traffic and an unexpected phone call are a BAD combination. :(

we have an audiovox 8600. small, color, flip, speakerphone. good phone, but the speakerphone quality isn't as loud as i'd like it to be. and the vtec kicking in would only drown the sound even more.

we also have an lg2000 which has a great speakerphone, but its not a flip and is rather large for a candybar style phone.

i still love the timeport 370, best speaker phone quality, great phone....

not sure tho if any of the newer phones will have speakerphone....

soopa 11-06-2003 07:50 AM

I can't tell you what I want to tell you. So I take public information and I validate it for you by explaining it, since I understand it and work with it. That is all I can offer.
your always talking as if verizon has some big killer-app busting down your door trying to get out...

you've talked like this for years.... yet the only thing i've seen verizon do with any initiative since then is launch PTT. otherwise theyve been beaten to the punch with every other `next big thing`

and they werent even the first with PTT, they just had PTT before Sprint. lol

mikeymobiles 11-06-2003 07:52 AM

Yuppie/Moses, I probably have more cell phone numbers than everybody on this board. I personally carry, in my bag everyday, 2 aircards (1 for laptop, 1 for iPaq), 1 blackberry, 3 PTT phones, 1 camera phone, 1 7135, 1 i600, and right now two other devices that I cannot mention. I have to do this for my work. If I were a normal consumer, I would probably have two... one data type device for work ... and one small voice device that either had PTT or camera for personal use.

YO, i want to play with some of your toys....

soopa 11-06-2003 07:54 AM

:huh: :what: :shocked: :ghey: :fag: :sick:

fbazakos 11-06-2003 07:58 AM

your always talking as if verizon has some big killer-app busting down your door trying to get out...

you've talked like this for years.... yet the only thing i've seen verizon do with any initiative since then is launch PTT. otherwise theyve been beaten to the punch with every other `next big thing`

and they werent even the first with PTT, they just had PTT before Sprint. lol

really?

What about 3G1X-RTT, 3G1X-EVDO, Blackberry over 1X, Intercarrier SMS, Nationwide PTT group calling. That's all in the last year. You want more? Don't worry it's coming soon.

YuppieCL 11-06-2003 08:00 AM

:doh: :fag:

Scrib 11-06-2003 08:06 AM

Welp, there goes this thread.

YuppieCL 11-06-2003 08:21 AM

Originally posted by Scrib
Welp, there goes this thread.
haha! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

soopa 11-06-2003 09:00 AM

really?

What about 3G1X-RTT, 3G1X-EVDO, Blackberry over 1X, Intercarrier SMS, Nationwide PTT group calling. That's all in the last year. You want more? Don't worry it's coming soon.

i have no idea what all those 3G standards mean... and Verizon wireless web is still slower then Sprint's... so it cant mean all that much.

what is new about intercarrier messaging? been doing that for a long time.

ptt group calling just sounds like a gimicky feature. and like i said... i gave them a bit of credit for PTT. but none of these things youve mentioned have much impact.

phil2 11-06-2003 09:04 AM

ptt group calling just sounds like a gimicky feature. and like i said... i gave them a bit of credit for PTT. but none of these things youve mentioned have much impact.

I agree i have nextel and it sucks ass and the ptt is useless because in a office setting who the hell wants people hearing all of their business :dunno:

soopa 11-06-2003 09:20 AM

unless your a construction worker or a tow truck driver i just cant see any point in PTT.

phil2 11-06-2003 09:40 AM

unless your a construction worker or a tow truck driver i just cant see any point in PTT.
Chu talkin bout mang my name is.....Mofaz "the depressed persian tow truck driver ordered to therapy":rockon:

fbazakos 11-06-2003 09:44 AM

i have no idea what all those 3G standards mean... and Verizon wireless web is still slower then Sprint's... so it cant mean all that much.

what is new about intercarrier messaging? been doing that for a long time.

No, everything I mentioned does not apply to the consumer. That's not where the real money is. That is why Verizon wasn't concerned with the cameras. Why do you think sprint is going after at&t so much now ... it's about business/enterprise. The 3G standards allow for high speed data. EVDO is comparable to DSL. Imagine driving to work and streaming mp3's on your car stereo. Verizon Wireless web is text based, running on 2G. There is a change coming to this quite soon.

Not that I blame you for only giving a bit of credit, you have no way of knowing what it took. But the collaborate effort to get that system running was more than you and I combine will accomplish in a lifetime.

Verizon was the first to have intercarrier messaging. It hasn't been along that long.