Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Computer Monitor CRT or LCD?

Old 06-14-2001 | 07:59 PM
Racer

Question Computer Monitor CRT or LCD?

I'm looking to get a new monitor but no sure which way to go.
Should I go with a 17 - 19 inch CRT flat screen or a 15 inch LCD?
Please help

------------------
Old 06-14-2001 | 08:03 PM
Drifting

19"

------------------
Only god can stop a Hurricane.
Old 06-14-2001 | 08:46 PM
Daddy

I bought a 14" LCD about a year ago to replace my 17" CRT and love it! It takes up virtually no room on my desk. If your primary concern is quality you do need to stick with CRT!

------------------
'00 Zaino'd Firepepper Red TL
20% Tint
Removed 3.2TL badge
2001 Cupholder
Old 06-14-2001 | 09:19 PM
Safety Car

CRT fo sho. Check it out:
http://www.computers4sure.com/category.asp?catId=903

I bought this one:
http://www.computers4sure.com/Produc...=95426&iid=342

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.natestl.com/images/sigs/big/sig5big.jpg" TARGET=_blank> </A>
www.NatesTL.com 2001 Silver TL (non-navi). Mods: 19x8.0 +47 Alstadt Legart (IV) w/ Yokohama AVS Sport 235/35ZR19 - SuperCrystal lug nuts - Inspire wood steering wheel - Inspire tails - 2 burlwood dash kits & shift knob - TL-S AC wood trim - Alumapro BP-10 sub & ZX400TI Phoenix Gold amp - Python 1500 ESP (remote start, all windows up & down, sunroof closes, prox, etc) - Varad blue alarm LEDs - Factory spoiler & body kit - Mugen grill w/ custom mesh - Black chrome emblems - Solaris 9005 high beams - AEM short ram intake - Comptech sways, springs, headers & exhaust - Apex'i V-AFC w/ custom sunglass holder install - All season mats - Polarg front signals, license plate, trunk & map lights - MiniMax dome light - Crossdrilled rotors - Axxis Metal Master brake pads - Inspire door rails - Denso iridium spark plugs.

------------------
"Deadly to the eyes, worth seeing."
Old 06-14-2001 | 09:39 PM
Drifting

Is this a trick question!!! Flat screen of course. I had a 15 inch LCD and you turn turn it into a portrait mode, hang it on a wall, flip it upside down or do whatever. Plus it comes with really awesome software packages like colorific and stuff. I just bought a 19 inch LCD and now I cant even look at a regular CRT monitor. There is no comparising at all. And dont forget the size and weight issue...19 inch CRT weights like 30 pounds and is really really bulky.

------------------
"TL is an awesome car" VW dealer in Long Island.
Old 06-14-2001 | 09:55 PM
Drifting

DAMN!!! 19' LCD!!! THAT'S CRAZY!!!

I am running two viewsonic PF795 19' flat CRT. I think dual monitors are great, and I won't trade my 2 19's with a 21' CRT or 17' LCD. Of course that's if you have enough space. And honestly, I can't really look at other computer monitors in my school no more. Damn, even 17' is too small for me. since I am running 2 19's...

If you got the space. Run a dual monitor setup...
Old 06-14-2001 | 10:45 PM
Racer

I like the space saving size of the LCD, but the price of that 19" Samsung SyncMaster that Nate has is sweet.
Right now its a tossup between the 19"
and this one NEC LCD1530V 15 $416. plus a $50.rebate from NEC/Mitsubishi.

------------------
Old 06-14-2001 | 10:53 PM
Banned

I just bought the NEC LCD1530V LCD about a month ago. Trust me - get it! It is awesome!

I have always liked LCDs from using laptops for years. This NEC blows all the other LCD panels away. Go to an electronics store (I got mine at Circuit City) and see if they have one on display. CC had the NEC on display right next to the Samsung, Viewsonic, and Sony panels. It was like night and day. The NEC was so much crisper, brighter, and more vibrant. I just drew your eyes to it and made you want to look at it.

Enough said. I think I need to be alone with my monitor now!
Old 06-14-2001 | 11:11 PM
Racer

Originally posted by mikester:
I just bought the NEC LCD1530V LCD about a month ago. Trust me - get it! It is awesome!

I have always liked LCDs from using laptops for years. This NEC blows all the other LCD panels away. Go to an electronics store (I got mine at Circuit City) and see if they have one on display. CC had the NEC on display right next to the Samsung, Viewsonic, and Sony panels. It was like night and day. The NEC was so much crisper, brighter, and more vibrant. I just drew your eyes to it and made you want to look at it.

Enough said. I think I need to be alone with my monitor now!
Wow I think you just sold me on the NEC

------------------
Old 06-15-2001 | 05:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

But where do you go if you are currently using a 19" CRT. 19 LCD are hella expensive.
Old 06-15-2001 | 06:20 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

I'd go neither and get a short neck 21. LCD's are nice, but unfortunately can't keep up with high frame rate games. Ever notice that your mouse leaves a slight trail when you move it REALLY fast on an LCD monitor? Maybe its just me, but we have LCDs here at work and it may be nice to look at...but it wouldnt be able to keep up with my game machine at home.

------------------
2002 3.2 TL Type S with Navigation
Exterior: Aegean Blue Pearl
At 3% over invoice, who can complain?
Old 06-15-2001 | 10:08 PM
Banned

Bull! My NEC LCD panel keeps up with anything I throw at it. One of my favorite games is Nascar Racing 4, and the frame rates don't get much higher than that thing.

I also edit digital video on my machine, and the video plays flawlessly. I've seen reviews before that say they can't handle high frame rates, but that must be the older technology. The new panels rock!
Old 06-15-2001 | 10:11 PM
Drifting

Bull! My NEC LCD panel keeps up with anything I throw at it. One of my favorite games is Nascar Racing 4, and the frame rates don't get much higher than that thing.

I also edit digital video on my machine, and the video plays flawlessly. I've seen reviews before that say they can't handle high frame rates, but that must be the older technology. The new panels rock!
Exactly..I have the Samsung one and I play the same game on it as well as NHL 2001 and or course the new rpg games. The monitor handles all those games and then some. No frame jumping or anything like that.
Old 06-15-2001 | 10:17 PM
Banned

Originally posted by SergeTL02:
Exactly..I have the Samsung one and I play the same game on it as well as NHL 2001 and or course the new rpg games. The monitor handles all those games and then some. No frame jumping or anything like that.
How long have you been playing Nascar Racing 4? I've only been playing it a few weeks, and that game is hard as shit! I am just getting where I can handle the car well on the test track, but when I get in traffic I can't go more than 2-3 laps before causing an accident.
Old 06-15-2001 | 10:27 PM
Drifting

Just got the game a few days ago. I heard from a friend of mine that it is really really hard to win the races. Check playcenter.com to see if there are any codes or cheats of you want.

------------------
Old 06-15-2001 | 11:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

19" mitsubishi dimatron flat screen CRT. YOU WILL LOVE IT!

------------------
Naples gold 00' TL
  • Mugen exhaust
  • comptech drop-in
99' TEG GSR
  • AEM CAI
  • Painted Electron blue
Old 06-15-2001 | 11:42 PM
Pro

Originally posted by merlyn:
19" mitsubishi dimatron flat screen CRT. YOU WILL LOVE IT!

That's what I have here at work. Sweet monitor.
Old 06-15-2001 | 11:46 PM
Retired MOD

This should help you....they have a 21" LCD and a 22" Flat CRT with DVI.
http://www.necmitsubishi.com/products/index.cfm

------------------
Old 06-15-2001 | 11:53 PM
Racer

CVCC,
are you gamer? if you play games on your computer especially 3-D games and you tend to be meticulous on the image your looking at, then stick to CRT. now if you're a everyday business app's user, web browsing non-game related then LCD would be a better way to go.
if you decide to go LCD, Nec is a GOOD one and if you have the extra dough, get the 1830, if not, but you want bigger size screen, then get the 1700M (BLACK) there is a BEIGE one also. think what you want to use it for (gamer-CRT, everyday use 2-D games then LCD).
Old 06-16-2001 | 01:01 AM
Drifting

I wouldn't buy a LCD without DVI support, and I don't think the LCD technology is matured yet. So I will wait a bit before I go for a LCD display. A 15 in LCD is not that expensive, now. So, that you can consider.

But try to sit in front of two 19' flat CRT. You WILL love it. I am sure.
Old 06-16-2001 | 09:25 PM
Pro

I've used just about every make of monitor on the market thanks to all my client site visits. Buy Sony.

I've tried them all, iiyama, NEC, Viewsonic, Mitsubishi, LG Electronics, MAG, Nokia, etc etc.

Every time I stray, I end up back at Sony.

I have yet to see any display that can match them for color richness, fonts that are readable but not too sharp, and long term reliability.

I currently own a E400 and a G400, and do tons of gaming, web work, and net browsing. Sonys have flat screens and are incredibly easy on the eyes, I've NEVER experienced eye fatigue using Sonys, and I run at 1280x1024 85Mhz all the time. Cheaper monitors simply fry my eyes after about 2-3 hours of use.

As someone else mentioned, LCDs are awesome for general use, but if you do a lot of gaming, stick with a CRT. LCDs don't handle screen resolution changes very well.
Old 06-16-2001 | 10:33 PM
Pro

19" flat screen CRT all the way. LCD's aren't worth it yet and detail sucks.

21+ inch is nice but not needed because you can run one of the following monitors at 1600x1200 nicely, where everything is still easy to read. You may have to use Windows large fonts though. I don't know anyone who runs their monitors above 1600x1200 but the following can usually go up to 1880 by 1400 or so, just in case you feel like going blind:

Sony, MItusbishi Diamondtron, Samsung NF, or IIyama. These are the best.

make sure it gets at least 75hz when run 1600x1200.

Don't spend over 450 USD.
Old 06-16-2001 | 10:57 PM
Drifting

Pimpin..I used to think the same way..at least until I go my Samsung 18.2 inch LCD ( b-day present). There is no way in hell you get a view like this on a CRT no matter what kind it is. Games, Graphics, whatever... it blows CRTs away in any kind of competition. Plus it doesnt take up an entire desk and doesnt weight 60 lbs.

------------------
Old 06-16-2001 | 11:10 PM
Pro

NO way serge! I've seen some pretty $$ display models at my local computer store. I do a LOT of 2d graphics and would never use the ones i saw. Maybe yours is different, i don't know but from what i've seen you should stay away from LCDs if graphics is top priority. I do wish i was wrong though cuz they are much more pleasant on the eyes, look better, and are slim.

Pimpin..I used to think the same way..at least until I go my Samsung 18.2 inch LCD ( b-day present). There is no way in hell you get a view like this on a CRT no matter what kind it is. Games, Graphics, whatever... it blows CRTs away in any kind of competition. Plus it doesnt take up an entire desk and doesnt weight 60 lbs.

Old 06-16-2001 | 11:19 PM
Drifting

Well, I honestly do use my comp for games, web and crap like that. I never had to work with graphic intensive applications for long periods of time. However, I constatly watch DVDs or work with photoshop. Plus I have my cable box connected into my video card so I watch TV sometimes on my monitor as well. And after having a CRT from the last five years this has been the most pleasant experience. Plus when I worked at MTV, most of thier video editing is done on flat screens ..and a rather huge ones. I saw one and it was like 22 inches and looked amazing.

------------------
Old 06-16-2001 | 11:44 PM
Racer

Question

Thanks everyone for all the good info
I ordered the NEC. But after reading all the new posts I'm thinking about canceling the order and going with a CRT.
I only play one game (Counter-Strike) but I spend most of my free computer time playing it. I also do some Photoshop and digital video editing, so picture quality is important.

So if most of you think a CRT will be better for what I do on a computer than its CRT.
Now what CRT do I go for?
The 19" SyncMaster that Nate has is nice and the price is right! or go with a Sony?

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by CVCC on June 17, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 06-16-2001 | 11:47 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by CVCC:
Thanks everyone for all the good info
I ordered the NEC. But after reading all the new posts I'm thinking about canceling the order and going with a CRT.
I only play one game (Counter-Strike) but I spend most of my free computer time playing it. I also do some Photoshop and digital video editing, so picture quality is important.

So if most of you think a CRT will be better for I do on a computer than its CRT.
Now what CRT do I go for?
The 19" SyncMaster that Nate has is nice and the price is right! or go with a Sony?
Syncmaster is sweet... but a Sony is a Sony. Did u look at Cnet? What do they recomend? I dont think that NEC is a good choice..espessially over samsung or sony

------------------
Old 06-16-2001 | 11:55 PM
Racer

Syncmaster is sweet... but a Sony is a Sony. Did u look at Cnet? What do they recomend? I dont think that NEC is a good choice..espessially over samsung or sony

I'm going back to Cnet now to do some more research.
Thanks

Old 06-17-2001 | 12:02 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by CVCC:

I'm going back to Cnet now to do some more research.
Thanks

And jsut remember something that others forgot to mention. With monitors, you have to always see it in front of you before you buy it. Im sure ull see the same advise on cnet. Dont rush, go to a couple stores, look around, see what feels right on your eyes, and then order it online if you have to. CompUSA has pretty good prices on monitors, and you save a ton of money on shipping. Plus use dealtime or storerunner to find a best price as well as cnet.

------------------
Old 06-17-2001 | 12:11 AM
Racer

Wink

And jsut remember something that others forgot to mention. With monitors, you have to always see it in front of you before you buy it. Im sure ull see the same advise on cnet. Dont rush, go to a couple stores, look around, see what feels right on your eyes, and then order it online if you have to. CompUSA has pretty good prices on monitors, and you save a ton of money on shipping. Plus use dealtime or storerunner to find a best price as well as cnet.

Thanks Again
Old 06-17-2001 | 01:26 AM
Banned

I think you're making a mistake! Are you going to listen to these people trash LCDs because of what they have read on the net or maybe from glancing at one in the store, or are you going to take the advice of people who actually own them and have used them in the same applications as you.

I play games AND edit digital video using my NEC LCD and there are no problems. It is far superior to my CRTs that I have. I would suggest you go buy it locally at someplace like Circuit City and try it yourself. If you don't like it, you will have 30 days to take it back, but I doubt that will happen.
Old 06-17-2001 | 02:48 AM
Racer

Wink

I think you're making a mistake! Are you going to listen to these people trash LCDs because of what they have read on the net or maybe from glancing at one in the store, or are you going to take the advice of people who actually own them and have used them in the same applications as you.

I play games AND edit digital video using my NEC LCD and there are no problems. It is far superior to my CRTs that I have. I would suggest you go buy it locally at someplace like Circuit City and try it yourself. If you don't like it, you will have 30 days to take it back, but I doubt that will happen.
Ok I'll take your advice and try it. Thanks mikester
Old 06-17-2001 | 08:13 PM
Banned

Let me know how it works out for you.
Old 06-20-2001 | 11:50 PM
Racer

Thumbs up

This monitor is sweeeeeet!!!
Old 06-21-2001 | 09:13 AM
Banned

I thought you would like it. It's just one of those things that has to be seen to be believed.

Enjoy!
Old 06-21-2001 | 01:39 PM
Racer

how does the image size on a 15" LCD screen compare with that of a 17" CRT? I keep hearing it's "comparable" since the LCD is edge-to-edge, but exactly how?

I run at 1152x864 resolution on my 17" MAG which is about 6 years old now, and am considering replacing it with an LCD screen. At work I have a 19" EIZO panel and it looks great. On the other hand running at higher than 1280x1024 ends up with a "compressed" image that doesn't take up the whole screen, and most 15" LCD's I've seen only go up to 1024x768 in resolution.
Old 06-21-2001 | 01:46 PM
Banned

A 15" LCD is roughly comparable to a 17" monitor in screen area. Most 17" CRTs only have 15.5" of tube showing (the best I've seen is 16"). Even then, it's hard to get the image all the way out to the edge without some distortion.

Most 15" LCDs I have seen only go up to 1024x768, and the NEC is no exception. That's not a bad resolution to settle on for a standard. I have a laptop at work that does 1280x1024 and it's difficult for everyone else to read my code because they are running at 1024x768 (i.e. I use longer lines of code, because my screen is wider - when they view it, it goes off the screen).
Old 06-21-2001 | 10:15 PM
Racer

I thought you would like it. It's just one of those things that has to be seen to be believed.

Enjoy!
Thanks

------------------
Old 06-22-2001 | 01:29 AM
Burning Brakes

if you can afford it an LCD flat panel is much better on the eyes because there is no emissions at all. The savings in space is also tremendous. However motion video on some screens appear kind of wierd and the picture may wash out from some angles. The 15" LCD screen on my Inspiron 8000 doesnt seem to suffer from the washout effect so I guess they have come a long way. The other day I saw a Sony flatpanel and it was fabulous! But it was $$$$$$$$$

I would just get a LCD panel if I could afford it just because I work for hours on the computer (these days who doesnt?), although the newer CRT monitors are very low radiation and everything an LCD panel still feels much softer on the eyes.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by thejavagod on June 22, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 06-22-2001 | 08:58 AM
Banned

As I stated before, the washout problems and problems with fast video seem to be a thing of the past. I play games with high framerates and edit full-motion digital video and watch DVDs on my flat panel and it is flawless.

Quick Reply: Computer Monitor CRT or LCD?