Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Cellphone/Data while visiting Montreal

Old 04-02-2012, 08:33 PM
I shave my change purse

Received 155 Likes on 87 Posts
Cellphone/Data while visiting Montreal

So I'm going to Montreal in 3 weeks and currently have Verizon Wireless service using the 4G thunderbolt

I know that I can still use my phone in Montreal but will be roaming and will pay an arm and a leg per minute.

Data, forget about it... thru the roof.

Now, i will still need to make calls and possibly jump online while there.

The hotel charges $15/day for wifi x 4 days = $60 for wifi

I'm wondering if I could possibly but some sort of mifi that I can either pre-pay or get a data sim while in Canada to use while there for cheaper? The plus would be that I would have internet anywhere I am, not just the hotel.

As far as actual phone calls, could I buy a cheap GSM phone on ebay and buy a sim while in Canada? Not sure how this works. Where would I find a sim card? Do I get some random phone number that I give to people back in NY to call me?

Spanks ahead of time
Old 04-02-2012, 10:20 PM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by WILLDOGS
So I'm going to Montreal in 3 weeks and currently have Verizon Wireless service using the 4G thunderbolt

I know that I can still use my phone in Montreal but will be roaming and will pay an arm and a leg per minute.

Data, forget about it... thru the roof.

Now, i will still need to make calls and possibly jump online while there.

The hotel charges $15/day for wifi x 4 days = $60 for wifi

I'm wondering if I could possibly but some sort of mifi that I can either pre-pay or get a data sim while in Canada to use while there for cheaper? The plus would be that I would have internet anywhere I am, not just the hotel.

As far as actual phone calls, could I buy a cheap GSM phone on ebay and buy a sim while in Canada? Not sure how this works. Where would I find a sim card? Do I get some random phone number that I give to people back in NY to call me?

Spanks ahead of time
If you could get WiFi or data access anywhere you could possibly use a SIP app such as GrooveIP to make phone calls for free incoming and outgoing to US and Canada using your Google Voice:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...NvbS5ndm9pcCJd

There are a bunch of other free SIP alternatives as well in the market but you need data or WiFi access, preferably 3G at the minimum. You could probably do the cheap GSM phone route as long as its unlocked. Most cell phone carrier stores should have prepaid plans where you buy the minutes, etc but I'm not sure whether the rates would be more expensive if you call long distance.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:23 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
a sim will cost your $40 here, just sack up and pay for a small amount of data roaming. If the hotel is actually charging you $15/day for wifi see if they have in room free wired connections. If that's the case you can get a pocket size travel router for $30 and atleast not have to pay their stupid rates.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:46 PM
I am #76,361,211,935

Received 344 Likes on 201 Posts
Look into a different hotel! Wifi is free at most.

http://www.montrealhotels.com/index....blehotelslist/
Old 04-04-2012, 06:51 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
Tmobile has a pay as you go 4G mifi (I have one) in the US. Not sure about canada.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:23 PM
I shave my change purse

Received 155 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by The Dougler
a sim will cost your $40 here, just sack up and pay for a small amount of data roaming. If the hotel is actually charging you $15/day for wifi see if they have in room free wired connections. If that's the case you can get a pocket size travel router for $30 and atleast not have to pay their stupid rates.
The hotel has free wifi in the common areas (lobby, dining area, etc...) but the rooms are $15/day for wifi. Their site doesn't mention wired connections. Thanks for the tip on the router, i'll look into it

Originally Posted by underdog
Look into a different hotel! Wifi is free at most.
'Hotel is paid for and a done deal. Cant change. Got a great rate so having to pay for Wifi isn't a huge deal breaker. Will also have to pay for daily parking so.... Just looking for alternatives.

http://www.montrealhotels.com/index....blehotelslist/
Originally Posted by Whiskers
Tmobile has a pay as you go 4G mifi (I have one) in the US. Not sure about canada.
Thanks, looking into it. So far the Mifi itself is about $99 plus the data charges...already more $$ than paying at the hotel. I dont travel that much internationally so not sure its worth it now... Domestically I use my phone as an unlimited hotspot so no issues there.