Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

car radio interferes with GSM

Old 12-20-2004 | 10:19 AM
2nd Gear

car radio interferes with GSM

Does anybody experience problem when your car radio interferes with GSM phone? How to avoid it? There was no problem with CDMA phones.
Thanks
Old 12-20-2004 | 12:09 PM
Burning Brakes

What do you mean by "interfere"? Do you mean your phone's performance suffers when you have your radio on? (ie, your signal drops or you get static in the phone) Or, do you experience noise through your car’s speakers? I've noticed on several occasions that cell phones cause some interfere with any powered speaker (car, pc, home stereo, clock radio, etc) that results in a buzz or pulses of "tones" from the speakers. I've noticed it more-so with my new GSM phone than with my old TDMA device. The closer the phone is to the speaker or the speaker wire, the louder the interference. The way I get around it is to turn off the speaker (so in the case of my car, I just turn off the HU, which cuts the power to the speakers) when I make or receive calls.
Old 12-20-2004 | 12:33 PM
2nd Gear

Right. Noise through the car's speakers. Since I have the GSM service just few days may be I'll switch back to digital phone.
Old 12-20-2004 | 01:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by petbula
Right. Noise through the car's speakers. Since I have the GSM service just few days may be I'll switch back to digital phone.
Does it happen all the time? The only time my GSM and (previous) TDMA phone caused interference is/was during a call. Every once in a while (once every hour or so) there would be a quick 1/2 second blip of static (I guess the phone is just checking in or something); the rest of the time everything is fine. If you're experiencing constant static, I would check to make sure your phone isn't trying to do something (connected to the web or some other service). If your phone is just sitting there on stand-by and still causing interference, then I would take it back and swap it for a new phone because the one you have may be defective. Constant interference is not normal for any phone, GSM or TDMA.