Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Blackberry Bold

Old 11-04-2008, 10:02 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,474 Likes on 3,067 Posts
I have the curve, that looks awesome, I want one bad
Old 11-04-2008, 10:56 AM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
What's reception like on it?

Also, does it have a speakerphone? If so, how loud is it?
Old 11-04-2008, 11:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Reception seems to be good. No drop calls, no breaking in and out. However, I haven't been mobile with it yet only been in the office. I will be going to lunch soon and will test it out then.

Does have a speakerphone. Quality seems good. Louder than the curve IMO as loud as any decent cell speakerphone these days. Videos are crystal clear. Music is pretty loud.

Overall I would say it has some good speakers on it.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Camera is pretty decent.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...9&postcount=21
Old 11-04-2008, 03:33 PM
Kang Ho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my manager just show me his Bold. Fking awesome...
Old 11-06-2008, 09:55 AM
Suzuka Master

My Offical BOLD review.

Quintos official bold review.
The highly awaited, extremely anticipated new device from RIM. The new Blackberry Bold. Well it’s been just about 48 hours with my new bold, I am completely happy and not many complaints at all. I will try to keep it short and to the point.

Unboxing- Well it’s no nice bold black box like Roger’s bold came in. Just the standard orange box from AT&T, but then again what did you expect? You open it and there is the blackberry enclosed in a plastic box with a window. Looks great. Also you have your folding blade charger, USB cable, blackberry holster, (a good one, with a clip and the magnet to interact with the screen) quick start guide, getting started guide, blackberry tools CD and a cool blackberry wired headset. Now, I don’t use the wired headset, I’ve just never been a fan, but this headset is one of the best looking ones I’ve seen. Got the BB logo on the back of the ear plugs and comes with 3 different size ear buds. The one thing I would like AT&T to start shipping phones with is a screen protector. They are ridiculously cheap to make so why not just throw one in there instead of making me go order one online.

First impression and hardware-
The silver trim really stands out, makes the phone look a little more classer. Leather back is yet another great feature. When looking at the pictures online before I actually bought it, I was a little skeptical of the backing. Thought it would look ugly in person and not the smartest thing to do. I figured I would end up buying a skin for it. Well I was wrong. It looks great and it even feels great in my hand. Lets you get a better grip on the phone. I will NOT be getting a skin, at least not for a while. Also I like the BB logo on the back under the camera lens, Only thing is it’s silver on silver so it’s hard to see. I am considering fill in the dots with black to make it stand out more. Another thing I was shocked is the size. With pictures of bold online and all the talk I figured the width of this thing would be huge. Not at all the case, its only a little bit bigger than the curve as far as width, and bout an inch longer. Still fits the hand nice. The keyboard is different from the curve. The keys aren’t spaces apart, instead are all connecting with rivets, so to speak, in each key. My thumbs got use to it quick and I can now type just as quick, if not quicker then on the curve.

Software –
Bold came boxed with OS 4.6.0.167. What a speedy little processor this thing has. You hardly ever see the hour glass, (Its changed on the bold to a square analog type clock) when trying to do multiple things or switching between apps like you would sometime see on the 83** or the 88**. You still get all your AT&T bloat where with it, time to uninstall/hide those programs we wont be using. Comes stock with yellowpages.com icon to download and install the program as well as the AT&T navigator. I have not tried this yet, and probably won’t since I have a portable GPS unit. They added 4 new games to the selection. We know have a choice of “word mole (a puzzle game), Texas Hold’em king 2, Sudoku, Klondike (solitaire) and of course brickbreaker. Stock themes are nothing special. I am a big fan of the today plus screen for the blackberry, and I found a really awesome one for the BOLD. By far the best theme I’ve seen for a BB so far. Check it out here: http://software.crackberry.com/produ...---BOLD-OS-4.6
Comes with all the normal apps that OS4.5 for 83/88** came with, docs to go, video rec and so forth. It comes with a alarm app. It’s actually called clock. When you open it, it defaults to a clock on the screen an d just sits there. Meh. But this is where you change your alarm settings and so forth. Also it comes with a stopwatch and a countdown timer all built into to this clock app. All three clock times are customizable between analog and digital.

Wi-Fi.
Well, it’s Wi-fi on a blackberry. What do you expect. Apartenly it’s a different verison from the one on the 8320, but it still isn’t good. It won’t connect to my work Wi-Fi, not sure why, but it does connect to my home Wi-Fi. It is spotty and not very fast. But I didn’t buy a BB for Wi-Fi now did i? nope.
Web Browser- Browser is the same as 4.5OS for 83/88 as far as I can tell. Which is a improvement from the older browser, but it’s still ages behind some of the other new phones browser.

Camera.
I’ve shown you some pics, looks improved from the curves shitty one.

Battery
– Longer battery for more talk time! Can never get too much battery right? According to phone scoop the bold has a hour longer talk time, but about an 100hr less standby time. Weird. I’ve haven’t charged it since 7 am yesterday morning and I’m at 35%. Not super heavy use. Probably sent and received about 60 emails, play with some Wi-Fi and videos/music with about ½ it’s time using 3G. But it’s looking up from the curve.

Memory card slot
- THANK YOU RIM! Again THANK YOU RIM! It’s on the side of the phone, so hot swapping is an option.

Media and speakers
– Speakers are loud. Music plays really loudly. Ringtones also play loud. The loud setting on the curve is about the medium setting on the bold. I like it. Plays some WMV videos I loaded on there, however It only plays some, the others must have the wrong encoding, will work on that later. Bad thing is, when trying to watch videos the Bold will freeze and restart its self every so often. Very annoying!

Call quality
– seems pretty good, Made a bunch of calls, not issues hearing people, people hearing me, no dropped calls. Speaker phone is louder than the curve.

I can’t think of anything else right now, any questions let me know, I’ll keep it update as I come across things.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:31 AM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Thanks for the extensive review.

Regarding Wi-Fi, what security is implemented on the blackberry? WEP? WPA? WPA2?

The thing I don't like about my WM6 phone is that it only support WEP so I can never connect it to my home network anymore.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:25 AM
Suzuka Master

* WEP (64-bit or 128-bit)
* Pre-shared Key (PSK)
* 8021.X/EAP–LEAP
* 8021.X/EAP–EAP–PEAP
* 8021.X/EAP–TLS
* 8021.X/EAP–TTLS
* 8021.X/EAP–FAST
* 8021.X/EAP–SIM
Old 11-06-2008, 12:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
I want to change my Curve as wello. I'll go by Rogers tomorrow if I can and see what's up.