AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Technology (https://acurazine.com/forums/technology-16/)
-   -   The best smartphone? (https://acurazine.com/forums/technology-16/best-smartphone-312095/)

BEETROOT 09-15-2005 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by kensteele
but I know a few people have been asking about something like this so in a few days/week when it's about to show up in the store, I'll post pics.

<- one of the few people

BEETROOT 09-15-2005 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by The Sarlacc
different strokes for different folks ;)

I'm a freelancer and I've always used palm. Their stuff has always done everything i need it to and never failed me.

Is it perfect, no, nothing is. But it works quite well for my biz/personal applications.

I had a dell axim before this. The device itself was garbage ( I returned it ) but I liked the ms os much better than palm. Maybe it was just because the system made sense to me since I'm so used to windows.

DarkSithCL 09-15-2005 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by BEETROOT
when does this come out for spint :wish:

4 realla...I'm with you on that one... :thumbsup:

BUT, bet it'll be a zillion clams.... :tomato:

kensteele 09-15-2005 01:14 PM

That Samsung device is yesterday's PocketPC OS....Sprint has no plans to launch it.

mt6forlife 09-15-2005 01:33 PM

That Samsung device is yesterday's PocketPC OS....Sprint has no plans to launch it.

How's that if its upgradable to PPC2005?

srika 09-15-2005 03:56 PM

when does this come out for spint :wish:

Sounds like you're one of those ppl that is never happy with anything. You think a Windows-based phone won't crash and won't have its own set of quirks? ha.

btw I would say my 650 crashes about once every 2 weeks... this is where it resets itself when I try to get into some app. No biggie. It restarts, and I am back in the game.

Sarlacc 09-15-2005 04:06 PM

I had a dell axim before this. The device itself was garbage ( I returned it ) but I liked the ms os much better than palm. Maybe it was just because the system made sense to me since I'm so used to windows.

I had an axim as part of my gear when I was shooting a TV show last year. We used it to run a program that would log our tapes and timecode.

I hated the damn things. Kept freezing, crashing, and totally unintuitive to use.

mobilezen 09-15-2005 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by The Sarlacc
I hated the damn things. Kept freezing, crashing, and totally unintuitive to use.

I still have yet to use a Pocket PC... with or without phone that I had to either do a hard reset/restore or reboot everyday. Slightly disappointed and I hope Windows Mobile 5.0 takes care of some of these issues.

kensteele 09-15-2005 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by mt6forlife
How's that if its upgradable to PPC2005?

I'm not sure if I know exactly what is PPC2005. As for Windows Mobile 5.0, there are some things about it that make it superior to the older operating systems. In order to upgrade, the carrier....in this case Verizon....has to specifically make the upgrade available. You can't do it on your own when the OS is released but if you do, it won't be the same. No one knows for sure if and when the upgrade is available, if they try to tell you they know and they don't work for Verizon, it's just speculation. Many a customer has been disappointed in the past regarding this. Anyway, since the Samsung device just came out with an older OS and won't be launched new on the shelf with WM5, it's clearly not an option for Sprint.

Also I would be curious if Verizon releases an upgrade, what exactly is in that upgrade. Knowing what I know is in WM5, the Samsung device from Verizon won't be fully (maybe partially) WM5....ever.

mobilezen 09-15-2005 07:46 PM

I'm not sure if I know exactly what is PPC2005.

PPC2005 = Windows Mobile 5.0 People just have to get the terminology right as Microsoft never coined it PPC2005 but same thing. :)

DarkSithCL 09-15-2005 09:30 PM

pen + paper > *

I'm starting to hate all this techo stuff...

Need to go back to 2 way pager and a long distance phone card...that was more fun and hella less trouble...not to mention, I wasnt going broke paying for that sH*&!!!!

mobilezen 09-15-2005 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL
pen + paper > *

Need to go back to 2 way pager and a long distance phone card...that was more fun and hella less trouble...not to mention, I wasnt going broke paying for that sH*&!!!!

Don't hate. :D Just do a little research or hire a techie consultant (me) to do it for you to match your needs. Sometimes people think these devices just cause problems and I can see that in PPC2003 devices but the way things are going and crossing my fingers the white papers aren't lying that future handsets will be able to handle memory better. :)

zamo 09-15-2005 09:56 PM

pen + paper > *

:killer: :rofl:

zamo 09-15-2005 09:58 PM

I will like a PDA with SD, bluetooth, wi-fi and compatibility with outlook, excel, word, and easy to type. Of course, on top of phone capabilities. Any clues?

DarkSithCL 09-15-2005 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by mobilezen
Don't hate. :D Just do a little research or hire a techie consultant (me) to do it for you to match your needs. Sometimes people think these devices just cause problems and I can see that in PPC2003 devices but the way things are going and crossing my fingers the white papers aren't lying that future handsets will be able to handle memory better. :)

OK...we'll see...all the money spent developing these things...boy, if cars were this jacked up, we would have gone back to walking...I mean really....how much money do you think was spent developing just the treo 650...any idea?

BTW...I really still want a treo b/c all of the best medical applications are palm based!!!!

I may still buy a used treo 600 (ebay( , so I can drop the ball and chain phone+palm thing...

mobilezen 09-15-2005 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by zamo
I will like a PDA with SD, bluetooth, wi-fi and compatibility with outlook, excel, word, and easy to type. Of course, on top of phone capabilities. Any clues?

Sounds like you want an I-Mate JasJar. Kind of expensive right now though.

OK...we'll see...all the money spent developing these things...boy, if cars were this jacked up, we would have gone back to walking...I mean really....how much money do you think was spent developing just the treo 650...any idea?

BTW...I really still want a treo b/c all of the best medical applications are palm based!!!!

I may still buy a used treo 600 (ebay( , so I can drop the ball and chain phone+palm thing...

Palm is getting revamped to be used with a Linux O/S soon enough. I think I mentioned something earlier in the thread how Palm O/S never made it where you could multitask and that is where PocketPC got the edge.

When you start talking about file structure and solidity of the O/S, I do believe that Palm and Symbian have an upper edge compared to Pocket PC and hopefully this will all change in the coming months when WM 5.0 comes out. We shall see.

On another note...there is a bluetooth application/device that you can get to monitor your car's OBD II stats and such. Pretty cool if you ask me. Or tuning your (shifting points, v-tec engagement, etc) from the touch of your Palm O/S device. :D

I love reading news about gadgets...its fun. :)

kensteele 09-16-2005 06:17 PM

It's ready next week but the press release went out today. Sprint has the first Windows Mobile 5.0 device on the market, the PPC-6700. This is easily the finest PDA smartphone on the market todate...IMO of course, but I'm biased. :D

http://www.sprint.com/business/produ...lPcsPhones.jsp

http://www.sprint.com/business/image...ow-ppc6700.jpg

srika 09-16-2005 10:00 PM

^^^^ wow..... looks like a Treo 650 killer..... :nervous: EV-DO, 1.3mp...... damn.

dragon084 09-17-2005 03:05 AM

i recently purchased a Audivox 6500 SMT.

it is under Cingular and I have 39.99 plan with 19.99 unlimited data plan.

the phone works amazing has speaker phone, blue tooth, internet explorer, Xpress mail,

outlook, windows media player and a slew of other shit i havent used yet.

i paid 249.99 with a 100 $ mail in rebate.

phone is solid and small for a smartypants phone

astro 09-17-2005 11:17 AM

AKA, the HTC universal or is it the Wizard; right Ken?

kensteele 09-17-2005 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Astroboy
AKA, the HTC universal or is it the Wizard; right Ken?

Yep that's right. This PDA the 6700 is made in Taiwan by HTC. The new name for Audiovox is now UTStarcom. http://www.utstarcom.com/

astro 09-17-2005 11:22 PM

:toocool: wish we had em up here!

yunginTL 09-18-2005 05:10 PM

It's ready next week but the press release went out today. Sprint has the first Windows Mobile 5.0 device on the market, the PPC-6700. This is easily the finest PDA smartphone on the market todate...IMO of course, but I'm biased. :D

damn, that's impressive, even though i have no use for one of those at my age...

soopa 09-18-2005 07:49 PM

Decent phone with Bluetooth from Sprint?!? :clap: :clap:

Works with Handsfreelink in the TL I hope? :wish:

mobilezen 09-19-2005 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by soopa
Decent phone with Bluetooth from Sprint?!? :clap: :clap:

Works with Handsfreelink in the TL I hope? :wish:

Hrm...if it runs Windows Mobile 5.0, I hope the bluetooth stack is an authentic Microsoft product instead of broadcom. If that is the case, chances are it'll pair with little to no hassles. If it uses broadcom drivers though, say goodbye to using HFL.

DarkSithCL 09-19-2005 12:10 AM

wow...but alas, what abt my medical programs that are palm based?... :whyme:

kensteele 09-19-2005 12:24 AM

http://www2.sprint.com/mr/news_dtl.do?id=8280

Sprint (NYSE: S) today announced the launch of the Sprint PCS VisionSM Smart Device (PPC-6700), the first PDA/phone-combination handset in the country to offer the new Microsoft Windows Mobile 5.0 software, featuring updated Microsoft Office applications including Outlook Mobile and the new PowerPoint Mobile. Marketed by UT Starcom Personal Communications and operating on the Nationwide Sprint PCS Network, this CDMA device is a light and manageable productivity powerhouse combining a wireless phone, Evolution Data Optimized (EV-DO) and Wi-Fi data functionality, Bluetooth Wireless Technology, email, Web access, a full QWERTY keyboard, and a 1.3-megapixel camera with video capabilities. The PPC-6700 will be available through Sprint business sales channels next week for a suggested retail price of $629.99 before discounts and promotions. The device will be offered nationwide in Sprint Stores and online at www.sprint.com later this year.

"Sprint continues to provide mobile professionals a portfolio of wireless devices and broadband choices unsurpassed in the industry," said Vicki Warker, vice president of marketing and product for Sprint. "With Wi-Fi, 3G and EV-DO high-speed wireless data, our customers now have more choices for staying productive while on the go. The PPC-6700 allows customers to capture the power of any of those services without taking up too much space in a briefcase or pocket."

The PPC-6700 reproduces the Windows-based PC experience and utilizes a new suite of Microsoft Office software, including the addition of PowerPoint® Mobile™ for viewing presentations on the go and Excel® Mobile™ with enhanced attachment-viewing capabilities. Managing documents, email, appointments, contacts and tasks is easier than ever with a 416 MHz Intel® PXA270 processor and a sliding QWERTY keyboard that opens from the side and automatically changes orientation from portrait to landscape viewing mode.

"We believe the PPC-6700 really is the next-generation mobile device," said Philip Christopher, president of UT Starcom Personal Communications. "Built with business applications in mind, the sliding keyboard and advanced data capabilities are just two of the many features, which when paired with Sprint's advanced wireless service, are designed to enable professionals to virtually carry office capabilities in their pocket." Multiple data capabilities give customers more choices for quick and convenient methods to send or receive email, attachments and text messages; view documents; browse the Web; listen to news, music and other audio clips; and access corporate applications while on the go. The handset supports broadband-like speeds where Sprint's wireless high-speed data (EV-DO) is available and is backwards compatible to provide 1XRTT throughput speeds in areas where EV-DO service is not yet available. Sprint currently provides wireless high-speed data service in more than 75 markets nationwide, covering more than 100 airports in the country. Embedded Wi-Fi for data will also allow users to connect in thousands of Sprint-compatible domestic and international Wi-Fi ZONES™ and other public, enterprise and residential Wi-Fi locations. Various billing methods apply in non-Sprint venues.

With embedded Bluetooth® Wireless Technology, the PPC-6700 automatically connects with Bluetooth headsets and car kits (sold separately). Dial-up networking capabilities for use with Bluetooth-enabled laptops and desktop computers will be enabled with a future software release. Capturing, sharing and viewing pictures and video is easy with the embedded 1.3-megapixel camera with built-in flash and digital zoom. The device also includes a built-in mini USB port and mini SD expansion card to add memory; transfer music, photos and video from the desktop; or load additional games and applications.

"With the power and flexibility of the new Windows Mobile 5.0 software platform and the speed of the Nationwide Sprint PCS Network, mobile information workers will have the freedom to stay connected when and where they want," said Suzan DelBene, corporate vice president of marketing for the Mobile and Embedded Devices Division at Microsoft Corp. "The PPC-6700 is the result of Microsoft's strong relationship with Sprint, molding flexible software with innovative hardware and a dependable network to help business customers more easily access their most essential information."

The PPC-6700 also supports Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync® for over-the-air synchronization of email and calendar information with Microsoft Exchange Server 2003.

Packaged applications include Action Info™ and AudibleListener®. Users will enjoy a 30-day free trial of access to content from their favorite brands, including eBay®, Amazon.com®, FOX Sports, AP News, AP Stocks, Microsoft® MapPoint®, AccuWeather®, Restaurant Row™, and Zap 2 it ™ Movies; details at www.actionengine.com/actioninfo/sprint. Also, Sprint customers can receive $100 cash back with a 12-month subscription to audio books, audio magazines, newspapers, radio programs and more with audible.com® at www.audible.com/sprint6700.

Additional content is available via the Sprint PCS Software Store provided by Handango™, an intelligent on-device catalog of applications and digital media, allowing users to find, download and buy software, games, ringtones, graphics and other applications simply and securely. The store can also be visited online at http://sprint.handango.com.

soopa 09-19-2005 10:54 AM

Hrm...if it runs Windows Mobile 5.0, I hope the bluetooth stack is an authentic Microsoft product instead of broadcom. If that is the case, chances are it'll pair with little to no hassles. If it uses broadcom drivers though, say goodbye to using HFL.

Ken...?

mobilezen 09-19-2005 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by soopa
Ken...?

Don't believe me huh :pofl: Perhaps Ken works in the industry and get shed a little more light...I'm just speaking from experience. ;)

astro 09-19-2005 06:32 PM

Ken is one of Sprints handset designer/tech guys Alex ;)

I think :soopa: was asking Ken which stack it uses. heh

mobilezen 09-19-2005 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Astroboy
Ken is one of Sprints handset designer/tech guys Alex ;)

I think :soopa: was asking Ken which stack it uses. heh

Ken needs to scoot his butt to a GSM provider. :D Then he can make all of N.America happy ;)

kensteele 09-19-2005 09:14 PM

I am waiting on answer back from our resident bt guru who's responsible for vehicle integration. We have a person dedicated to ensuring that our bt phones work with the various car manufacturers and I remember Honda/Acura being on the compatible list but I wanted to make sure before I confirmed. We'll publish an "approved" list shortly because I know people will ask.

I'm pretty sure it's Microsoft....we were always on conference calls with them throughout this development and anything we needed fixed with bt, they did it. I'm with the UTStarcom engineers tomorrow, I will get an answer for sure.

Also I should add that the 6700 is quite a bit smaller than the HTC Universal. And you should know that the 6700 has a BT stereo headset profile. And I believe that you can place a voice call while you are using wi-fi, I'll check that tomorrow.

mobilezen 09-19-2005 09:53 PM

Also I should add that the 6700 is quite a bit smaller than the HTC Universal. And you should know that the 6700 has a BT stereo headset profile. And I believe that you can place a voice call while you are using wi-fi, I'll check that tomorrow.

wi-fi and placing a call shouldn't affect each other when both used... at least I don't think so. It is good to see that other companies are picking up on HTC's product line and marketing it in more positive light. :)

kensteele 09-19-2005 10:29 PM

wi-fi and placing a call shouldn't affect each other when both used... at least I don't think so. It is good to see that other companies are picking up on HTC's product line and marketing it in more positive light. :)

correct. at least not from a technology perspective. but we definitely had the ability to turn that off. and i had to deal with the questions as to why you can use wi-fi and voice together but not voice and ev-do. some people though it might confuse the customer. others thought it would encourage customers to use wi-fi (non-sprint) over evdo (sprint). and then there are the charges. had lots of opinions from various groups...but i made the call to not purposely limit the functionality in order to conform to some standard. my philosophy is you don't put limits on bt, wifi, etc. or suppress it's capability without a very good reason. that's why this device will work as a tethered modem to your laptop with the included mini-usb cable.

but you would be surprised at some of the things we couldn't get this device to do right away....therefore i have a maintenance software load coming "one day". looking forward to reading the feedback in the newsgroups, see what i missed. :D

htc is a factory and they've always manufacturered a bunch of products, almost all of our audiovox stuff in the past. but it isn't until lately that they've been recognized, altho you will not see the htc name anywhere on the 6700.

mobilezen 09-19-2005 10:56 PM

I-Mate sells a lot of HTC's GSM line...they have a pretty good following as well.

Hrm... at least Sprint recognizes their social responsibility from the technology standpoint... Verizon on the other hand *cough cough* crippled V710 now has to face some heavy questions from people when they tried to slash the bt features to a bare minimum so techies and those alike couldn't upload their own content. *boo hiss*

I still like my GSM....Cingular is going the way that I want to see 3G. :) Of course CDMA2000 will be something kinda neat too...sorta ;)

SiGGy 09-20-2005 08:36 AM

http://24.221.29.241/ppc6700/

here's the 6700

kensteele 09-20-2005 08:08 PM

here's what i've found out so far. i've been able to hold a phone call while i use wi-fi to surf the web while i'm on hold. i knew they both work together but it was awhile since i had done it. the bt is ms and will work with the tl. because the honda system is rather unique, there is still one issue outstanding (one feature that might not work so well) but i doubt anyone will discover it...but then again you might. :D

dave those are nice pics. really shows the smaller size of the device which i think is going to be our edge over the competition's wm5 devices that are coming.

soopa 09-20-2005 11:25 PM

soo....... where do i send the check? :D

Berner 09-21-2005 11:25 PM

for the verizon folk out there......expect this to be launched in the next couple months

EmuMessenger 09-22-2005 06:49 PM

got the 6700 today. It replaced my four day old Treo-650. I am waiting for the phone to synch with the network. I wish Sprint used sim cards! It is so easy for me to switch from my Nokia 6230 to my Siemens SX-66.

I will report after I get going.

Astro, thanks for pointing me to this thread. ;)