AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Technology (https://acurazine.com/forums/technology-16/)
-   -   The best smartphone? (https://acurazine.com/forums/technology-16/best-smartphone-312095/)

Loseit 07-08-2005 11:02 AM

The best smartphone?

I am interested to get a new smartphone as I hate carrying my PDA and my cell phone. I hate the fact they are so heavy but i guess compromises have to be made. I will use the PDA phone during the week and use my small phone during the weekend.
treo 650?
anyother suggestions?
is therea holy grail?

Whiskers 07-08-2005 11:08 AM

Blackberry?

astro 07-08-2005 11:08 AM

def NOT the treo IMO. I had one, used it for 3 weeks, and sold it again, didn't like it at all...i've never really been a palm fan tho.

Nokia 6682 is the hot shit right now, not sure how easy it is to get. I have the 6630 and I prefer it's shape, and 850 isn't important to me at the moment.

There are some nice Windows Smart phones running Magneto, an AUdiovox comes to mind as being well reviewed...

astro 07-08-2005 11:08 AM

the crackberry phone's aren't all that well reviewed either..especially the small form candybar style one.

Whiskers 07-08-2005 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Astroboy
the crackberry phone's aren't all that well reviewed either..especially the small form candybar style one.

Look at the 7250 from Verizon or the 7290 from T-Mobile. The 7100 series (small candybar ones) are more phonelike then PDA like and has a different type of keyboard.

Slooo97CL 07-08-2005 11:39 AM

since when are rims smartphones?

Yumcha 07-08-2005 11:41 AM

Definitely note Handspring Treos IMHO...Working in an office with them, all I can say is that they have been absolute :turd:s...Bad quality.

My vote is the Sony Ericsson P910. :O

Whiskers 07-08-2005 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Slooo97CL
since when are rims smartphones?

:tomato:

Slooo97CL 07-08-2005 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by wsklar
:tomato:

rims are push email clients not smartphones :2cents:

BEETROOT 07-08-2005 03:46 PM

count me in for the anti-treo 650 vote.

Its a cool gadget and all...but lots of glitches and overall just a pain in the ass. bluetooth never works, the updates are/were a major hassle, internet is so slow its useless, and even with the firmware update I still have a 5-10 second delay between hitting send and the phone actually dialing.

I'll be selling mine on ebay soon for a something with a windows mobile os. Palm sucks.

I like the Samsung i730

mikeymobiles 07-08-2005 05:14 PM

Bberrys are more for email....not really an organizer and stuff...but def perfer it more then a treo...

JnC 07-08-2005 07:42 PM

:O Treo 650, please dont flame me :rofl:

BEETROOT 07-08-2005 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jack_n_Coke
:O Treo 650, please dont flame me :rofl:

You know what, I complain about the 650 only because its not perfect. It really is an excellent little device, and 99% of the time its great. The screen is amazing, buttons are perfect, and has craploads of very handy features (text messaging format especially). It just has its little quirks that get on my nerves every once in a while, like delays and Palm navigation.

So unless you want to shell out $600+ for the Samsung, or you really have to have windows, its the best smartphone on the market.

astro 07-08-2005 08:09 PM

the treo is only good until you experience something that works properly.

BEETROOT 07-08-2005 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Astroboy
the treo is only good until you experience something that works properly.

like?

whats your beef with the treo?

Sarlacc 07-08-2005 11:01 PM

treo is pain to sync with macs. but once you get missing sync its all good.

Treo isnt the best, none are. But personally I really love mine. I have a friend who has had the 650 since its release and likes it, but bitches and moans about it too.

Yumcha 07-09-2005 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by BEETROOT
like?

whats your beef with the treo?

Let's see...In my time implementing them: 7 out of 12 have experienced synchronizing issues (wireless), repeated dropped calls, power going from full to zip in a mere 1 hour of standby, loss of data...

Treo 600 or 650 IMHO is :turd:...But, hey, if it works for anyone here, more power to you. But, I have sworn off of Palm products.

mattg 07-09-2005 02:32 PM

boy, you guys must be some spoiled fucks. i love my 650.

i guess i don't have anything to compare it to. :shrug:

btw, the internet works fine as long as you have good service and stay on pda specific sites. AZ doesn't work that well on a pda however.

Sarlacc 07-09-2005 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by mattg

btw, the internet works fine as long as you have good service and stay on pda specific sites. AZ doesn't work that well on a pda however.

You have to be patient with loading, and always reload the thread pages to get them current. But it actually works pretty well.

Loseit 07-11-2005 03:34 PM

hmmm.....thanks brotha's!
i was looking real seriously at the treo650. If you go to cnet.com the editors love it but the user rating is waaay lower.
i am trying to get my fiance to buy one for me for my birthday.
Astro,
gonna look at the nokia.

Loseit 07-11-2005 03:36 PM

i really like the mobile window's esp w/ using it with my regular PDA.....

knv8 08-03-2005 12:19 PM

mpx220, small flip phone, works good enough after customization. since i dont have a nav in my car, the pocket streets on my phone has saved my ass many times.

kensteele 08-03-2005 02:22 PM

the best smartphone on the market has yet to come out. ;)

BEETROOT 08-03-2005 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by kensteele

then its not on the market dummy.

:ninja:

what is it.

Sarlacc 08-03-2005 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by kensteele

it better not be a palm phone or im gonna be pissed....

if its windows based...has no use for me anyway.

BEETROOT 08-03-2005 02:40 PM

I won't ever buy Palm again. I really hate it.

Berner 08-03-2005 10:07 PM

samsung i730.......its sick. windows pocket 2003 upgradeable to 2005. BT, wifi, broadband, etc.

http://www.infosyncworld.net/2005/01...ng_i730_01.jpg

Sarlacc 08-05-2005 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by BEETROOT
I won't ever buy Palm again. I really hate it.

different strokes for different folks ;)

I'm a freelancer and I've always used palm. Their stuff has always done everything i need it to and never failed me.

Is it perfect, no, nothing is. But it works quite well for my biz/personal applications.

kensteele 09-05-2005 06:28 PM

Flying to New York tomorrow....

....on business. So it's phone related. :wish:

After that, swinging thru DC to visit the former Nextel, see what they have going on.

Will post from the road but something new and exciting is coming.

Welcome to the new Sprint-Nextel. :)

kensteele 09-08-2005 08:17 PM

My trip was successful so it won't be long now. It's not a big of a deal but I know a few people have been asking about something like this so in a few days/week when it's about to show up in the store, I'll post pics. Sorry about the short wait. :D

Loseit 09-11-2005 08:50 PM

can't wait!

srika 09-12-2005 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by mattg

:werd:

I love the 650. The way I see it, when you have a PROBLEM with some device you own, you THINK about it daily. I mean, this applies when there is anything you have to FIX in your life. I never think about my 650. It does everything it needs to do for me, and more. I went through 3 phones in 2004 that gave me absolute grief. The major problem I had was, no signal. That is like THE WORST problem you can have with a phone. Battery life is a big factor too. Anyway, the 650 has given me stress-free cell usage.

After reading a good amount of threads on the various Treo boards, I would have to say I have almost no problems with mine. But there are many many bad stories out there. Don't know if its a case of lemons, or user issues, or bad service, bad signal, software issues, or what, but I would say its a mixture of all those things.

The best smartphone hasn't been released yet? Well, that's not too surprising. I think smartphones are still in their infancy and we will be seeing a LOT of innovations in the field in the coming years and I think the biggest thing will be making them smaller with even more features. The Treo is a bit big - that is probably one of my (very few) negative comments about it. Imagine if you could have something with 650 power in the size of a Razor... now that would be sweet.

mt6forlife 09-13-2005 10:29 PM

How's the Samsung do as a phone? Like holding on to a call, especially in a weak signal area? If that doesn't work great, I'd rather keep my separate devices.

Speed_Racer 09-14-2005 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by mt6forlife
How's the Samsung do as a phone? Like holding on to a call, especially in a weak signal area? If that doesn't work great, I'd rather keep my separate devices.

I've got a i730 with Verizon in the Bay Area and it hasn't lost a signal yet. Even in the mall where i have 1-2 bars it still holds onto a call fine.

mobilezen 09-14-2005 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Yumchah
Definitely note Handspring Treos IMHO...Working in an office with them, all I can say is that they have been absolute :turd:s...Bad quality.

My vote is the Sony Ericsson P910. :O

The Sony Ericsson P910 is a great phone. Coincidentally I have 2 for sale and an i-mate JAM if you like Pocket PC and small form factor. Right now, the P910 is one of the best ways to go but if you're a Pocket PC fan, I would suggest waiting until Oct/Nov for the good stuff.

All depends on what your needs are. :) btw, the TREO 650 is a very rounded out phone. I've used a 600 and 650 and like it. Unfortunately, I'm not a huge Palm O/S fan and the thing that annoys me is the fact that you can't multitask on Palm...I guess that's why they were bought and and are getting a LINUX revamp.

mt6forlife 09-14-2005 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by mobilezen
Unfortunately, I'm not a huge Palm O/S fan and the thing that annoys me is the fact that you can't multitask on Palm...I guess that's why they were bought and and are getting a LINUX revamp.

Bought? Linux? huh?

mobilezen 09-14-2005 01:49 PM

Bought? Linux? huh?

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000133058053/

There is another article talking about how PALM has been crippled for some time because it does not have any multitasking capabilities. Something which Windows (Pocket PC) had picked up. The big rumor is that the PALM will turn into an O/S run on the linux platorm in the future to accomodate multitask/multithread programs.

mt6forlife 09-14-2005 05:07 PM

I just played with the i730 at the Verizon store today. I actually overlooked it at first because it was so small compared to the other smartphones I thought it was a regular phone. Its hardly any bigger than my v710. Pretty damn cool! It doesn't look like it comes with a stylus even though its a touch screen like any other PDA. What do you do about that? Carry a pen/stylus combo with you?

Speed_Racer 09-15-2005 01:24 AM

I just played with the i730 at the Verizon store today. I actually overlooked it at first because it was so small compared to the other smartphones I thought it was a regular phone. Its hardly any bigger than my v710. Pretty damn cool! It doesn't look like it comes with a stylus even though its a touch screen like any other PDA. What do you do about that? Carry a pen/stylus combo with you?

The stylus is on the back near the headphone jack. It just slides out of the body.

BEETROOT 09-15-2005 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Berner
samsung i730.......its sick. windows pocket 2003 upgradeable to 2005. BT, wifi, broadband, etc.

http://www.infosyncworld.net/2005/01...ng_i730_01.jpg

when does this come out for spint :wish: