Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

ATT: HTC Aria $130 finally another Android phone

Old 06-14-2010, 03:42 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,306 Likes on 959 Posts
ATT: HTC Aria $130 finally another Android phone

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/14/h...with-on-video/

I was considering Android before getting my iPhone but I didn't like the Moto Backflip. This one looks nice and I love HTC. Maybe next year on a discount...
Old 07-06-2010, 04:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I just ordered this phone yesterday. Looks really nice for someone like me who has never had a smart phone. Plus it's not HUGE like talking into a freakin giant calculator lol. I'll say more about when it finally gets to me and I get a chance to play with it. I do know that AT&T made it impossible to download "third-party" apps from outside the app store.. but i already found a workaround for that on another forum.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A coworker has one of these. It seems nice, but the hardware is miserably out of date in comparison to the other Android phones on Sprint and Verizon. Probably won't even get Froyo. I wish AT&T would embrace Android.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by DoubleSh0t
A coworker has one of these. It seems nice, but the hardware is miserably out of date in comparison to the other Android phones on Sprint and Verizon. Probably won't even get Froyo. I wish AT&T would embrace Android.
Version 2.1 isn't exactly miserably out of date. I do hope it gets froyo though, but if it doesn't whatever, it was a free phone. For me I don't really care yet, but I'm sure eventually I'll want it to do more. And yeah I'm with ya about AT&T not having fully embraced Android, it's pretty much here to stay whether they like the open-source movement or not. The iPhone alone can only get them so far sales wise, but I think it really comes down to them accepting the fact that users want more control over their devices. I'm staying with AT&T for now cos most of my friends are on them (free M2M) and they have good coverage in this area.

They do have the Samsung Captivate (aka the Galaxy S) coming soon for a higher end Android phone to compete with Sprint and Verizon. The main issue though is them not allowing people to sideload apps. You can still do it with the SDK, but the average user isn't going to try and figure that out.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Also you could remove the sim and download any third party app over wi-fi. I think it won't take people long to figure this out.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:44 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Has anyone cracked the Aria yet? I tested it out and it seemed flawless aside from the fact I can't find a clear method to sideload apps to it. I heard the Samsung Captivate allows sideloading without issue.. anyone hear differently?
Old 07-27-2010, 03:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by Majofo
Has anyone cracked the Aria yet? I tested it out and it seemed flawless aside from the fact I can't find a clear method to sideload apps to it. I heard the Samsung Captivate allows sideloading without issue.. anyone hear differently?
I think everyone has the wrong concept about rooting. You don't need root/crack Android to sideload apps. Rooting =\= Jailbreak. They're similar but not exactly the same. To answer your question, though, sideloading apps is very easy. You currently have 3 options to do it:

1. HTC Sync with sideloading capability (before it was pulled off HTC's site. easy to find on Google)
2. Android SDK via ADB (most complex method)
3. http://www.androidcentral.com/sidelo...wonder-machine

Methods 1 and 3 are the easiest. Its just drag and drop. And yes, the Aria has been rooted. I believe it was rooted immediately after it was released.

Here's an article on root and what its used for. I suggest you read it to understand what the purpose of root is:

http://www.androidcentral.com/rooting-it-me-some-qa

For the most part, Android phones are very customizable as is without root. You can already run about 90% of apps even game emulators, and USB tether without root.

So why root? To remove/change system apps and properties, theme the phone fully, load custom roms, and run the other 10% of apps that require root such as overclocking, backing up system data and apps (Not required anymore in Froyo), and other reasons.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 07-27-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Majofo
Great little phone and plenty capable for what it costs. They are even making a Froyo build for it as we speak. I have it so I'm biased though...Yes sideloading is easy as pie too.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04
I think everyone has the wrong concept about rooting. You don't need root/crack Android to sideload apps. Rooting =\= Jailbreak. They're similar but not exactly the same. To answer your question, though, sideloading apps is very easy. You currently have 3 options to do it:

1. HTC Sync with sideloading capability (before it was pulled off HTC's site. easy to find on Google)
2. Android SDK via ADB (most complex method)
3. http://www.androidcentral.com/sidelo...wonder-machine

Methods 1 and 3 are the easiest. Its just drag and drop. And yes, the Aria has been rooted. I believe it was rooted immediately after it was released.

Here's an article on root and what its used for. I suggest you read it to understand what the purpose of root is:

http://www.androidcentral.com/rooting-it-me-some-qa

For the most part, Android phones are very customizable as is without root. You can already run about 90% of apps even game emulators, and USB tether without root.

So why root? To remove/change system apps and properties, theme the phone fully, load custom roms, and run the other 10% of apps that require root such as overclocking, backing up system data and apps (Not required anymore in Froyo), and other reasons.
Originally Posted by mcflyguy24
Great little phone and plenty capable for what it costs. They are even making a Froyo build for it as we speak. I have it so I'm biased though...Yes sideloading is easy as pie too.

Thanks for the clarification guys!
Old 07-28-2010, 07:03 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,306 Likes on 959 Posts
How's the speed of the phone in real world use compared to an iPhone 3GS or 4 if anyone knows? I'm talking loading apps, multitasking with a bunch of programs open, internet speed.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:24 AM

The aria was fast IMO. I didn't notice any appreciable lag.

btw.. Wirefly has the aria for $0 for new contracts and $20 for renews.. add'l aria's are also $20.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Doom878
How's the speed of the phone in real world use compared to an iPhone 3GS or 4 if anyone knows? I'm talking loading apps, multitasking with a bunch of programs open, internet speed.
It does pretty good in terms of speed, since Android 2.1 is good at managing memory. Internet speed is more dependent on your network coverage and to a very slight extent what browser you use. For instance Opera mobile compresses sites on there own servers so page loads are quicker and Skyfire can switch between mobile and non mobile versions of sites on the fly. Skyfire also loads all the site videos in the background. I couldn't tell you if it's better than the iPhone, I know the iPhone has video chat, which this phone doesn't due to a lack of front facing camera.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:05 PM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by mcflyguy24
It does pretty good in terms of speed, since Android 2.1 is good at managing memory. Internet speed is more dependent on your network coverage and to a very slight extent what browser you use. For instance Opera mobile compresses sites on there own servers so page loads are quicker and Skyfire can switch between mobile and non mobile versions of sites on the fly. Skyfire also loads all the site videos in the background. I couldn't tell you if it's better than the iPhone, I know the iPhone has video chat, which this phone doesn't due to a lack of front facing camera.
I'm sure if enough people bug Fring, they can bring video chat to the Aria. It'll use the main camera on the back so it won't be convenient but it works. (You can be ghetto and use a mirror if you want it that bad. lol.) And it won't be limited to wifi which is the nice thing about it. And you can call any phone that is Fring compatible, Symbian, Windows Mobile, iOS 4.

I can already do it on my phone, HTC Magic, and it also work on the Nexus One as far as I know. I don't know which other phones it works on but bug Fring if they aren't already working on it. Sometimes, they even let you beta test their app ahead of time. There's also SIPDroid which can do video calls as well but I'm not sure which phones again can do the vidchat thing.

Fring with Nexus One:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6rmm48nfxA

Sipdroid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlLZH...layer_embedded

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 07-28-2010 at 04:11 PM.