Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Assistance with tablet selection

Old 03-27-2012, 10:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Assistance with tablet selection

Hey all!

I'll be honest, I haven't been keeping up too much with tablets, but the time has come where I think I need to bite the bullet and pick one up. I am hoping my "Technology" forum brethren can help to point me in the right direction.

It will be mainly a business machine, with some pleasure involved as well. I'd say 75% business, 25% personal.

Here is what I am looking to do:

- Need to be able to database photos for doing presentations with suppliers and possible re-distributors.
- Would be great to be able to view/edit MS Word and Excel files. Powerpoint would be a plus.
- Would also be great to be able to work with PDF files
- Ability to display Photoshop files would help. I can always convert the work to JPEG, but would be awesome if I could create and even edit Photoshop files on the fly
- Should be good on the web so I can display our websites and work on the go.
- Must have WiFi
- File transfers to/from a USB drive would be great. That way I can do something on one machine, and just upload it to the tablet when on the go
- HDMI out that allows for output on larger devices/projectors. Would also be awesome if I could stream to the HDMI out. Example, my phone (HTC Evo 4G) has an HDMI out, but only displays stored video and pictures from the device or card via the output... cannot stream.

I think that's about it. I'm trying to keep it under $500 and the lower the better. Lastly, while I have not completely ruled out the iPad, I own nothing Apple and am not a huge Apple fan... so unless it really does EVERYTHING I need without having to be a slave to iTunes/Apple... I'd likely stay away from the iPad.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you in advance!!

Last edited by juniorbean; 03-27-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:45 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
Ive used them all and I honestly, Ipad. Its the best. I want to throw my Android tablet out many windows at times.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:46 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Asus Transformer Prime?

Can be a netbook or a tab.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:47 AM
Go Giants

This will turn into an obvious Android vs IOS thread.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Whiskers
This will turn into an obvious Android vs IOS thread.
there are only 2 main OS's.........
Old 03-27-2012, 11:26 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,114 Likes on 6,105 Posts
The iPad Wins Because Android Tablet Apps Suck: An Illustrated Guide

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2401676,00.asp
The following users liked this post:
juniorbean (03-27-2012)
Old 03-27-2012, 11:42 AM
Senior Moderator

I hope it doesn't turn into a full blown Andoid vs iPad thread. There are already a bunch of those... just need to find one to do what I'm looking for. If it happens to be an iPad, then so be it...

Originally Posted by #1 STUNNA
The iPad Wins Because Android Tablet Apps Suck: An Illustrated Guide

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2401676,00.asp
Thanks for that. Going to read it in a bit, but from the intro paragraphs... seems interesting...
Old 03-27-2012, 11:48 AM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
Depends on your price range and how much you really use apps. Currently, the iPad has the best selection of apps for games and entertainment. For office work and the like, I would argue that they're about equal with more productivity being able to be done with the Android tablets mainly because of the SD Card slot and extra peripheries already built in. You also have to buy the extra accessories to get USB, HDMI output and all that jazz with the iPad. Most Android tablets already have a USB port and an HDMI out built in with an SD Card slot that you can hotplug on the fly so if you have a MicroSD card reader you could just transfer files on the go if you don't have your USB cable. Also, certain tablets like the Transformer Prime and original Transformer have the docks which give the tablet an extra 6-8 hours of battery life since it has a battery built in, a mouse pad, and USB slots. You could get an iPad 2 which is cheaper than the new iPad and add on the accessories and be well within your $500 range. Oh I forgot to mention the USB plugs on an Android device recognize pretty much most USB accessories out there: mouse, gaming controllers, USB hard drives, 3G Dongles with the proper drivers, etc.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 03-27-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:14 PM
Senior Moderator

^ Thanks for the reply.

It seems the iPad does have a definite edge in the app department... but I don't use apps all that much, and all I would need would be the relevent ones for me (some type of Office app, Photoshop/PDF/Photo app, etc). Looking for something easy to use as well... just want to buy it, download what apps I need, and go.

The hardware functionality I mentioned in the OP is important too...
Old 03-27-2012, 12:44 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
JB, it all sort of boils down to the experience you expect in the end.

The iPad has the benefit of being a tightly controlled user experience and between the iCloud and apps, all of your needs are pretty much covered. The support for the iPad is without question the best out there since it is a single product.

The Android tablets can offer such a wide variety of user experiences that it is hard to gauge exactly whether or not you can find one that will be an exact fit for you. The Asus Transformer line is probably the closest you will get to the more integrated experience you would have with the iPad, but even then there are some serious truly infuriating experiences on the Android tablets that often makes one want to beat their head against the nearest hard surface (e.g. the predictive keyboard on Android is at least a couple of generations behind Apple's).

In general, if you can overlook some of the shortcomings of the Android user experience and want greater flexibility to tweak the platform and tools, then something like the Asus Transformer Prime is likely a good fit for your needs.

If you want something that just plain works with a minimum of fuss, it really is hard to beat the straight-out-the-box usability of the iPad.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:47 PM
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Why not get a netbook, or tablet pc? Seeing that you want to use it for 75% business purposes, having the windows OS might be the most flexible. Plus with having a hdd you can have loads of storage capacity. Pure tablets seem more optimal for recreational use.

Last edited by Rock2534; 03-27-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:50 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Good thread, I'm looking to get my uncle a tablet. I was thinking Ipad since it has a big screen and all that but I don't know if he would use all the apps.

Sub'd so I can read later on.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:56 PM
Senior Moderator

^ Thanks for the replies guys!

I have an Android phone, and it works great for me... so as far as the functionality like predictive keyboard, etc... I'm OK with Android. I also own nothing Apple... so would I even be able to use iCloud from my PC? Plus, the iPad doesn't seem to have USB or HDMI ports, but it seems from reading CGFebTSX04's reply... they can be added (at an additional cost). Those are really what hangs me up with the iPad. Apple seems to get you coming and going. But again, if it provides the best experience, it may be the way to go.

Rock, I have actually considered a Tablet PC. My thing with an actual tablet is that they are so much more portable then a laptop, that I thought it would be better for me. I have a laptop and PC at home, and while older, they are still what I do most of my computing on. The tablet (or whatever I end up with) would just be something portable I have with me should I need to show people an example of some products, etc while on the go.

Example, last night I had league (I race indoor karts) and was talking to the owner about some things. I had my clothes and stuff with me... and it would have been so easy to break out a tablet to show him samples. Carrying my laptop would have meant a whole other bag... likely not something I would have on me at all times. Does that make sense?
Old 03-27-2012, 12:59 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
iPad does have a photoshop app. Im not sure if its compatible with their native photoshop files...but I couldn't imagine that it isn't.

If you want to load images straight from a camera...ipad does have a camera connect kit with dongles to give you the ability to load photos via SD card or USB.

OR there is wifi enabled SD cards as an option.

for other files...there is dropbox, which works quite well.

Ipad is no longer "slaved" to iTunes...Its ready to use out of the box, and you can back it up to the iCloud.

Im sure there are are apps that let you run office programs...its been long rumored MS will have their own Office apps at some point.

The iPad does have an optional cable to go HDMI out at full 1080 resolution (on the new iPad) OR....for 100 bucks you can get the new apple tv and use airplay to wirelessly stream or even mirror your iPad to a TV at 720p.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
If it's an economic argument, get a good Netbook. For the price you'd pay for an iPad, the accessories etc, you can get a good basic laptop.

Tablets are toys, not for work. I own several including an iPad 3, TouchPads and a Playbook.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:38 PM
Senior Moderator

^ I don't know if I'd go that far. Anything can be a toy if used that way. I know of several large professional firms that supply their "road warrior" employees with tablets instead of laptops when traveling. They're using them to be productive and to get work done.

Problem with a Netbook is that I already have a laptop. Looking for a good suppliment for my laptop for day to day and spur of the moment things, like my example from last night. If I'm going into a boardroom to do a full presentation, I'll have my laptop with me. But I'm not going to carry it every day everywhere like I could with a tablet. That's kind of where I'm going with this...
Old 03-27-2012, 02:28 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by juniorbean
^ I don't know if I'd go that far. Anything can be a toy if used that way. I know of several large professional firms that supply their "road warrior" employees with tablets instead of laptops when traveling. They're using them to be productive and to get work done.

Problem with a Netbook is that I already have a laptop. Looking for a good suppliment for my laptop for day to day and spur of the moment things, like my example from last night. If I'm going into a boardroom to do a full presentation, I'll have my laptop with me. But I'm not going to carry it every day everywhere like I could with a tablet. That's kind of where I'm going with this...
I've seen road warriors, like pharm sales people with tablets too,but a lot of the time they have proprietary software on them, not trying to use apps.

The tablet would be great for showing pictures and stuff, especially with dropbox, I just started using it and it is great. I only mentioned the tablet pc because of the expanded capabilities you mentioned....I think you are quickly going beyond the tablets core strengths.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:34 PM
Senior Moderator

^ Yeah, I have looked at tablet PC's as well. We actually get a good discount on Lenovo, so I have checked out some of theirs.

I also just found out that our partners here were given the choice of email access on their iPhone or iPad... and several chose the iPad. Of those, a couple are power users... so I need to track them down and find out how they're using them and what they think...

As I mentioned originally, I'm looking for more of a suppliment to my PC and laptop... so while I listed a lot of things (like being able to edit Photoshop files, etc) those are more of a "nice to have", but not "gotta have". I always have my "regular" computers to do that work. So if it's a matter of accessing files, showing photos of products, doing emails, and maybe some HDMI output (whether via cable or AppleTV or whatever), then that is fine too. But I don't need two laptops... which is why I was thinking tablet for when I'm out, PC when I'm home working on things. I'm willing to work within the constraints of a tablet... just trying to figure out which will meet more of my needs (but again, doesn't have to be all)...

Last edited by juniorbean; 03-27-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:43 PM
Drifting

In that case, sounds like you have two options, ipad or android. I am not an apple person myself, but can't deny they are useful. I love my android phone and the apps available for it.

One thing that might work well, with either tablet platform is the logmein app. I use logmein for remote access to my home pc and family members to remotely help them out, or if I ever need anything from my home pc. So you could do what ever you need on the tablet, and if need be remote to your home pc to launch a powerpoint or whatever else.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:48 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
I have an Asus Transformer Prime and recently got the new Ipad for my fiance. Without writing a full blown review here's my cliff notes version:

Ipad Pros: Can't beat the polish of IOS and apps for the Ipad. Good performance/speed. Can get the MS Office suite so you're covered there. Lots of support (via apps, tech support at apple store) for the things you want to do - presentation, editing images, etc. Best screen hands down when watching HD videos or view HD pictures.

Ipad Cons: You'll need to get attachments since the Ipad only has the apple proprietary port (they have HDMI out, USB in/out attachments). No memory card expansion slot, so if you're not gonna be regularly deleting files on it, I suggest springing for the larger hard drive versions. No ability to customize OS - but for most people this isn't a con.

Transformer Prime Pros: Best android tablet on Market - ICS was recently released for it. Its a beast spec wise - Runs on quad core Tegra 3 chip. Keyboard dock makes it into a netbook and gives you an additional 8 hours of batter time. Comes with HDMI out and micro SD slot on the tablet. Keboard dock adds a full USB port plus an SD card expansion slot. (I bought the 64 gig version and got a 32 gig Micro SD card so I have a total of 96 gigs on the tablet, have a 64 gig SD card in keyboard as well for a total of 150+ gigs).

Transformer Prime cons: Some Primes have issues (hardware related). Very few quad core specific apps currently. Android is not nearly as polished as IOS (some force closes here and there). In my experience, need to run it in "Performance Mode" for it to be zippy. Battery life not as good as Ipad. Transformer Prime Infinity is coming out Q2 (June 2012) which is the same device with a 1900 x 1080 (HD) screen... so Asus makes their products relevant for 6 months...

TLDR: If you want a Tablet go with the Ipad - IMO it is the best tablet hands down (build quality/simplicity of interface/polish). If you want a tablet+netbook, go with the Prime. And the only other android tablets I'd suggest - try to get a Motorola Xoom or Asus Transformer 1 for cheap, dont bother with ones that dont come with HDMI out or a memory expansion slot.

Last edited by BraveDemon; 03-27-2012 at 03:03 PM.
juniorbean (03-27-2012)
Old 03-27-2012, 03:36 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
f@ck that, get a Touch Pad
Old 03-27-2012, 03:37 PM

PDA's any one!?
Old 03-27-2012, 05:18 PM
Team Owner

Researching the Ipad, Moto Xoom, and the Galaxy tablet,

I'll report back with what I find.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:12 PM
Senior Moderator

^ Thanks! Curious what you find.

BraveDemon - Awesome, thanks for that post. The more I've been reading, the more I'm thinking iPad as well. Never thought I'd say that, but I think for productivity, it will meet my needs. And I won't need the HDMI right away, and I can email myself most of the files I'll need to start, negating the immediate need for the USB. Since most files are large, I will have to do that eventually though...
Old 03-27-2012, 08:19 PM
Team Owner

Going to head out to Best Buy down the street and take a look so I can get a visual of what I want.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Talking Le Pan

I recently decided myself to tryout a tablet. I was still doubtful if I needed that, a smartphone & a laptop so I did not want to spend a lot. There are a lot of cheaper tablets out there but I wanted 1 that had all the basics like GPS so my choices quickly narrowed down to the BlackBerry PlayBook or the LePan TC970, both going for ~$199 everywhere.

Long story short, I got the Le Pan TC979 (goes for ~$279 but is out of stock a lot) because it had higher specs and the much better looking Android 3.2 HoneyComb instead of the 2.2 FroYo. I also liked the 9.7" screen over the PlayBook's 7".

I am still learning Android so cannot comment much but to say for the price, the build quality is amazing (nice materials), the screen is bright, sharp & responsive, battery lasts a very long time (seems ~0 hours) ... from what I have read there is HDMI but never checked.

The only downside is the WiFi can be a little weird but only @ work/school, everywhere else is fine.

Reviews of the LePan have been great which is also why I tried it:

Final note: The Le Pan 3 has been announced w/ Android 4.0 IceCream Sandwich - so the prices of the previous 2 should drop if you can wait.

Last edited by TSX69; 03-27-2012 at 08:55 PM.
juniorbean (03-28-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 07:03 AM
Go Giants

You really need to trust me here. Android phones may be ok, but their tablets are not. They are buggy, slow, and not intuitive. I really want to like it, I have tried many and owned many, but stick me in a desert island with one tablet, its the Ipad. Just works, and works well.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:20 AM
Senior Moderator

^ The more I read, the more I'm seeing the same thing you are saying...

TSX69 - Looks pretty cool. Nice price too. I did a quick search online it and it says it's upgradable to 4.0/Ice Cream.

If you get a chance, can you try to stream via HDMI and let me know if it can do that? HDMI is pretty useless to me unless I can stream to it...

Last edited by juniorbean; 03-28-2012 at 01:59 PM. Reason: weird spelling thing...
Old 03-28-2012, 11:40 AM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by juniorbean
^ The more I read, the more I'm seeing the same thing you are saying...

TSX69 - Looks pretty cool. Nice price too. I did a quick search onHmm it and it says it's upgradable to 4.0/Ice Cream.

If you get a chance, can you try to stream via HDMI and let me know if it can do that? HDMI is pretty useless to me unless I can stream to it...
All Android Tablets with HDMI out can all stream HDMI. The Evo can do it as well if you have root and/or kernel as it was limited by HTC for unknown reasons but it is possible.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d2luLmhkbWkiXQ..

Again it comes down to whether or not you want to tinker with your device. If the answer is no, go with the iPad. If the answer is yes, then go with the Android. I've been running custom ROMs on my Android devices and its probably the main reason I stick with it because every complaint someone has, there's a fix for it in Android it just takes effort to fix it. Most people don't want to tinker or too lazy to play with their devices. ICS is also a different experience than Honeycomb especially on the tablets. Unfortunately, its only starting to roll out for most devices unless you learn how to flash it yourself and run a custom ROM like CM9.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 03-28-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:59 PM
Senior Moderator

^ Yeah, I read about the root thing with the HTC... thing is, I have no idea how to do it w/o completely messing up the phone
Old 03-29-2012, 01:11 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
JB

Dropbox has been suggested, let me add SugarSync as a cloud based storage/sync app.
You might want to download the free versions and try them out. They will both work with your current desktop and laptop. In addition they work with your current phone and any tablet that you decide on. I have my Documents folder in SugarSync and can therefor access most of my information anytime and anywhere.

From most of your post, it doesn't sound like you are much into modding your computer functions. That being the case I will also recommend an iPad. I'm very happy with mine and spend far more time on it than my laptop. There truly is an app for just about everything and they do just work.

Whatever you decide on I also suggest that you strongly consider a model with 3G/4G. It could be a life saver on enough occasions to pay for itself. That is unless you can use your phone as a hotspot. G/L.
juniorbean (03-29-2012)
Old 03-29-2012, 07:56 AM
Senior Moderator

^ Thanks for the post and suggestion... great info! And yeah, my phone is a hotspot, so I would likely just use that if I needed connectivitiy outside of a WiFi area.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:47 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Post Hdmi

To be honest I have never used HDMI - my Nokia N8 has it & I have never even thought to touch it. I did, however, do some research & apparently the adapter for the Le Pan is due out sometime soon, so it is currently not possible.

If you decide to go this route: NewEgg tends to have open box specials on the LePan2 for ~$201 but if you happen to catch it, act fast - they always sell out in a matter of minutes.

Not sure if you can wait that long but the MS Windows 8 tablets are coming out later this year ...
juniorbean (03-29-2012)
Old 03-30-2012, 12:45 PM
Team Owner

So I asked a person at work to bring in their Galaxy tablet. I love it, I started watching a movie on it. The internet was pretty quick as well. I'm going to go play with an Ipad today after I leave work to see which I like better.

But I know the Ipad doesn't have flash so I won't be able to watch the movies that I usually watch from 1 channel.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:58 PM
Go Giants

So many options to watch video on the Ipad, I dont miss flash. Actually I have been able to watch more content on the Ipad with one exception of getting a movie off tpb.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:07 PM
Team Owner

Jailbroken or no?
Old 03-30-2012, 01:12 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,114 Likes on 6,105 Posts
If you want to watch flash videos on an iPad get the Skyfire browser....
Old 04-02-2012, 03:33 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
any word on the Galaxy Tab v/s Ipad....very very keen to know....
Old 04-03-2012, 06:49 PM

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,976 Posts
I'm surprised yummy hasn't chimed in.... Any day now...

Anyways in terms of tablets, I've used webos and ICS (on the touchpad) and now the iPad.

If I had to pick right now, iPad hands down, the apps on android are as Tim cook said just cell phone apps stretched to tablet sizes. The polish and function of the OS is good. I'm sure if you tinker with android, it too will run great, but it means you gotta tinker with it.

Webos had a lot going for it, but sadly it was cancelled.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:43 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
And my Transformer Prime crapped out on me yesterday... won't power on unless its plugged into the AC charger...

Got a fast RMA # and Fedex shipping label (already sent it out) - probably because the Primes have been notorious for RMA issues.

I feel so naked without my tablet...

Last edited by BraveDemon; 04-05-2012 at 01:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Assistance with tablet selection